Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fly Ricky posted:

Can someone make a TLDR of this debate? I don't have four hours to read these posts. I'm still trying to beat the first level of Doom Eternal on my lovely pleb controller.

I said Quake Champions being ported to consoles would be cool but Stux doesn't think it would work because of controllers.

I'm nostalgia tripping over Quake, Guitar Hero & Unreal Championship :haw: Remember playing Unreal Championship on my friends Xbox for the first time and being completely confused because I played a lot of UT/2003/2004 and this third person version with melee combat etc. was weird as hell but I think it was pretty fun? I don't remember much. I think it's backwards compatible?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unreal Championship was good fun and unreal championship 2 is weirdly prescient about where the FPS competitive multiplayer genre was gonna go for a decade and a half but somehow none of that made it into UT3

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

UT3 had some really great stuff but I can't place my finger on what was wrong with it. The additions were all great, the freaky new vehicles were amazing and the weapon roster was perfect, even the hoverboard and being able to use that leash to attach to friendly vehicles for a ride owned. I think it was the map design? There were a lot of really bad maps. Didn't help that the game was colorless and embraced the Gears of War art style a bit too hard, I think.

Still had some awesome stuff though. Those tripod walkers and the freaky ball vehicle with tentacles were nuts. Wasn't there something where you could create a giant green cube that slowed down anyone passing through as well? Cool game, just a bit too grimdark. Map community created some stunning levels with the engine, though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SUNKOS posted:

I said Quake Champions being ported to consoles would be cool but Stux doesn't think it would work because of controllers.

Thanks. As long as you aren't trying to compete against mouse/keyboard players I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible. Do dumb poo poo behind the scenes to cheat the movement and aiming issues like all other FPS do. The only games that would be illogical to work on a controller seem to be things that literally depend on a keyboard for typing like Zork and poo poo.

If I'm dead wrong, please don't correct me or bring up this debate again. Just accept that I'm an ignorant idiot.

edit: oh yeah, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, yadda yadda would suck as well.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so has anyone else managed to finish nier automata and get the [e] ending since its been on gamepass? I have died a LOT and made it quite far in the final credits shooty thing and i'm 100% connected to the network but I keep dying on the loving marketing division and i've been doing it for more than an hour now.

I'm actually going to maybe be the most annoyed i've ever been at video games (quite an achievement) if the uplifting humanist thesis of the game is uh, bugged.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

so has anyone else managed to finish nier automata and get the [e] ending since its been on gamepass? I have died a LOT and made it quite far in the final credits shooty thing and i'm 100% connected to the network but I keep dying on the loving marketing division and i've been doing it for more than an hour now.

I'm actually going to maybe be the most annoyed i've ever been at video games (quite an achievement) if the uplifting humanist thesis of the game is uh, bugged.

Yes, and its apparently some issue with SE's server connecting irregularly so its annoying. If you have issues close out of the game completely and then boot back up from ending E. Youll know if its worked if you see the messages after your first death. If its a black screen close the game fully and try again. Took me two reboots to get it to connect.

I dont like the E ending, but gotta have those cheevos so I can confirm this works first hand.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 12, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I spoiled myself before I went in and I kind of excitedly explained the concept to my wife before I did it because I was so impressed by the synthesis with it and the general overall theme of the game and then she sat there and watched me get mad at a game that looked like it was from 1983 and now she's unclear if I was taking the piss or not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

working as intended

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Decided to give Journey to the Savage Planet a try. Didn't expect much but it really surprised me; it's like a love letter to the Metroid Prime games.

The premise is that you've been sent to a faraway planet on a scouting mission to determine if there's anything of value there for the folks back home. The game has a very specific vibe to it - the bleak, offbeat humor is IMO pretty good but it won't be for everyone. You have a chipper AI companion that provides exposition and really doesn't seem to care about you as much as the mission itself.

Combat isn't anything special but there's some mild lock-on and the enemies haven't been too challenging so far (it also has been pretty good about letting me ignore enemies if I want, it doesn't do the "lock the player into a combat arena" thing). You can also find a lot of health upgrades early on so dying shouldn't be a big issue - though you should try that at least once. You unlock fast travel options pretty early on and I also got double jumping and a grappling hook.

Oh, it's also a very vertical game and there is a lot of platforming. If first-person jumping isn't your thing, beware.

If it keeps going like this it might end up being one of my personal favorites of the year.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Since downloading Savage Planet yesterday I have put 16 hours into it. I suspect in probably going to 100% this one.

It really is a quite excellent game and one I would have never played had it not been on game pass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Savage Planet absolutely surprised me in such a delightful way. When my biggest complaints are the writing for the live action cutscenes and ads and that I would have liked a map/upgrades to help with the scans but still did everything else and found all the items its hard not to just say its a good game. Unfortunate about the Google buyout for a sequel.

One really stupid nitpick is If you collect enough stuff its possible to access the alternate ending before the game has introduced or mentioned stuff that the alternate ending references and it makes the CEO's behavior come across in a way I dont think is intended at going by the games actual ending.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I spoiled myself before I went in and I kind of excitedly explained the concept to my wife before I did it because I was so impressed by the synthesis with it and the general overall theme of the game and then she sat there and watched me get mad at a game that looked like it was from 1983 and now she's unclear if I was taking the piss or not

I really wish I had any connection with that ending but it just doesn't click for me at all and doesn't feel like part of the journey there. Its a neat idea but I felt like it doesnt earn that beat, and the concept for me was massively better executed in the final hacking minigame in the fight against A2.

The pacing in Automata just hurts me deeply

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 12, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You've sold me on savage planet , just bought it on PS4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played it for an hour and moved on

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Anyone have any thoughts on Subnautica? I caught a stream a while ago of Cohh playing the new expansion (?!) to it and it looked really awesome, and he said the original game was fantastic and it looks the same just in a different place and with different stuff? Xbox store page says it's X-enhanced as well and it's on sale now so I'm kinda tempted to pick it up. Was Looking at Abzu as well which looks like underwater Journey?

Got a 2TB external SSD to put all my games on when the Series X comes out but have a feeling I might need a 4TB HDD instead :( Wish we could get 4TB external SSDs already, Microsoft said all XB/360/One games will just run straight off external storage with no issues on the next console so I wanna fit everything on if I can.

Think I just found the 2D version of Doom Eternal, anyone know if this is as good as it looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPAXFA6dKUo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Valfaris is fun. Its hard and cool. I played a few levels and gave up tho

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

I'm really enjoying Indivisible. It's a light metroidvania but when you get into a battle it's turn based paper mario style. Everything is handdrawn and it's easy but very likeable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

zitlover8183 posted:

I'm really enjoying Indivisible. It's a light metroidvania but when you get into a battle it's turn based paper mario style. Everything is handdrawn and it's easy but very likeable.
I liked the first few hours, but the exploration seemed very barebones and most reviews I've read say any semblance of balance or challenge gets thrown out the window very early on and you can just mash buttons and win pretty much everything thoughtlessly.

Definitely worth a look if you're into the art style, but it's hard for me to press forward knowing that the mechanics likely don't come together meaningfully in combat.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Barudak posted:

I really wish I had any connection with that ending but it just doesn't click for me at all and doesn't feel like part of the journey there. Its a neat idea but I felt like it doesnt earn that beat, and the concept for me was massively better executed in the final hacking minigame in the fight against A2.

I think its a very cute and cool "secret" ending, it doesn't really advance the plot at all, but kind of just spells out the thesis of the game in a funny way thats kind of a nice counterpoint to the angst and agony of the main endings. Also apparently you don't have to delete your save game anymore? I didn't even get the option when I finally managed to get it working

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I liked the first few hours, but the exploration seemed very barebones and most reviews I've read say any semblance of balance or challenge gets thrown out the window very early on and you can just mash buttons and win pretty much everything thoughtlessly.

Definitely worth a look if you're into the art style, but it's hard for me to press forward knowing that the mechanics likely don't come together meaningfully in combat.

Yeah it’s super easy to bust the combat wide open once you know what you’re doing but it’s a nice change of pace from getting my rear end handed to me in cod warzone haha. The platforming gets pretty difficult later in the game I was impressed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indivisible has 0 difficulty curve. I died literally once before the final boss and then never even close to dying ever again and then the final boss's final phase is a Drakengard-esque rhythm game and that mulched me for a while but never felt fair as you never had to really do that prior.

And I fully beat the game and whatnot, but yeah its lack of difficulty has to carry you really far because the story is so rushed despite the game feeling overly padded/repetitive. A very nice thing I can say is you dont need to find all the gems, you need iirc 100 and there are 108.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think its a very cute and cool "secret" ending, it doesn't really advance the plot at all, but kind of just spells out the thesis of the game in a funny way thats kind of a nice counterpoint to the angst and agony of the main endings. Also apparently you don't have to delete your save game anymore? I didn't even get the option when I finally managed to get it working

My memory of beating it on both systems is that choice has always been optional. It only asks you if you'll help other players after you beat the minigame and saying yes to helping others is what deletes your save but you can just say no.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah I mean it just didn't offer me the option to help other players at all as far as I saw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azbu is underwater Journey. Thats really all that it is

Subnautica is a game I really, really wanted to like but even in easy mode your items degrade really quickly, you have to manage your inventory very tediously, and I cant figure out where the resources I need to progress are located so I quit playing pretty fast. If you like survival games its supposedly a great one, but I clearly dont.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

yeah I mean it just didn't offer me the option to help other players at all as far as I saw

Oh, huh, that is weird. Maybe you disconnected from the server after activating the minigame? The whole thing is spotty.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SUNKOS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Subnautica?

It is fantastic if you like that style of game. Basically a mostly underwater survival/building game. Lots of exploration and you can explore more and more over time as you can build more gear/etc. Has an actual story driving you at least a little bit as well, so it isn't just pure sandbox.

It got really great reviews across the board and it is for good reason.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The game is great, but also jank as gently caress and never truly left the alpha state.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Thirding subnautica as a tops game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently Journey to the Savage Planet is getting DLC in like, two-three days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_9GwjskxU

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Considering jumping into console gaming - and well, game pass is just too good to not try out. Anyone know any current game pass ultimate deals (other than the get first month for 1$). Feels super weird moving into console gaming in addition to steam - which has so many games, so many deals, such well region priced stuff.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

JadaX posted:

Considering jumping into console gaming - and well, game pass is just too good to not try out. Anyone know any current game pass ultimate deals (other than the get first month for 1$). Feels super weird moving into console gaming in addition to steam - which has so many games, so many deals, such well region priced stuff.

Check to see if the $1 convert-to-Gamepass option is still around. Then you buy up to 3 years of gold and convert it to gamepass for that same $1. Its ~140 all-in, but I think that's a good value for what you get.

EDIT, from the Xbox.com Store details page:
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
Joining Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will upgrade your remaining Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass for Console or Xbox Game Pass for PC time into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for the same amount of time, up to 36 months. All conversions are final. See xbox.com/gamepass for details.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 13, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if youre looking for a console to go alongside pc gaming you probably want a switch or ps4 considering every xbox game is being released on pc as well. ps4 and switch both have a large amount of games not available on pc.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

JadaX posted:

The big trick is knowing that when you first sub to GP Ultimate, it converts every existing month of Live Gold, Game Pass for Console and/or Game Pass for PC on that account into a month of Game Pass Ultimate, which includes all 3 services. This can only be done once per account, so plan accordingly.

Use any trial offers available on the other services and, if you want, buy a lump of Live Gold before converting to GP Ultimate. The maximum you can have is three years.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JadaX posted:

Honestly- and this might be an unpopular opinion, but I doubt it- the only console I’d buy right now is a Switch (but not at the insane scalper prices).

The other two are getting successors (and incredibly capable ones at that) at the end of the year and promise compatibility with most (PS4) or all (Xbone) current gen titles and beyond, in the case of Xbox. At minimum you’ll be able to grab an Xbone cheaper than now.

With the switch, you get portability, Nintendo games that aren’t available elsewhere, the high profile ports that are on it are generally things you’ll want to play, and Nintendo’s on their own update cycle and recently refreshed the line so you can expect the hardware to stay relatively current for a bit (at least way moreso than the two consoles getting replaced in December)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

if youre looking for a console to go alongside pc gaming you probably want a switch or ps4 considering every xbox game is being released on pc as well. ps4 and switch both have a large amount of games not available on pc.

Switch is first priority imo. More and more ps4 exclusives are timed and come to pc these days but you do eventually want to grab a cheap one to play bloodborne its true.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

priority is entirely based on what exclusives you care about and which you prefer is going to be extremely subjective cos the offers on each platform are wildly different from each other.

theres literally 0 reason to own an xbox over either as a system to go alongside a gaming pc.

edit: youre probably best waiting on either option bcos of the new systems on their way as mentioned which at the least will make the ps4 price bottom out if you dont want to buy in on ps5, and the switch is currently hard to find and overpriced because of shortages.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's 1 reason but it's nothing to do with games: It's a cheap 4K bluray player

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats not a reason no one cares about blu rays in 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's 1 reason but it's nothing to do with games: It's a cheap 4K bluray player

Whoa this post looks like it time travelled from a PS3 thread circa 2008.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is it even really a cheap blu ray player these days? I would never buy a blu ray player in 2020 but that seems ridiculous. I think i bought a blu ray internal drive for my pc in 2013 and it was $40 or so

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

priority is entirely based on what exclusives you care about and which you prefer is going to be extremely subjective cos the offers on each platform are wildly different from each other.

theres literally 0 reason to own an xbox over either as a system to go alongside a gaming pc.

edit: youre probably best waiting on either option bcos of the new systems on their way as mentioned which at the least will make the ps4 price bottom out if you dont want to buy in on ps5, and the switch is currently hard to find and overpriced because of shortages.

Theres a reason: playing the few 360 games that arent on steam. It doesnt sound compelling but microsoft keeps telling me its amazing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ethanol posted:

is it even really a cheap blu ray player these days? I would never buy a blu ray player in 2020 but that seems ridiculous. I think i bought a blu ray internal drive for my pc in 2013 and it was $40 or so

4K BluRays not standard.

I good standalone UHD BluRay player can still be $150 plus for a decent one (Atmos/Vision support etc).