Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being/home/welcome

so I joined a udemy course on making electronic music and started it today. its a bit basic right now hopefully it picks up. doing some guitar skills/drills too. watched some tv. now also doing this course

maybe I can un gently caress-up myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

good on ya mate

it’s going to be at least six months in this leaky boat :haw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apparently on the 20th they reckon they’ll make the call about level 4 but what then? level 3? and how for long

gently caress as soon as it’s possible to do I want to get out of pharmacy. creepy around the car park of the software company and beg for a job. maybe one day a week in a pharmacy and the rest working for computer nerds

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
graveyard shift at homeless shelter, mercifully boring

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
woke up in time for my 0830 monday meeting only to find it's cancelled because today is a holiday

can't get back to sleep, not enough energy to get up and make coffee

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i was like this yesterday

my body clock was all "welp you've had two days off, gotta get up in time for work"

but getting up early on your day off is good. gives you lots of time to do stuff. like play videogames for hours and then realize it's still only ten oclock

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Jabor posted:

i was like this yesterday

my body clock was all "welp you've had two days off, gotta get up in time for work"

but getting up early on your day off is good. gives you lots of time to do stuff. like play videogames for hours and then realize it's still only ten oclock

that’s such a good feeling

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
being up early with no good reason does make me feel extremely virtuous

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 13, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sweden is seemingly flattening out (deaths a bit high, but hospitalizations are ticking down a bit without ever having gone really out of control) without a lockdown. so i don't think it is that optimistic to expect lockdowns in similar countries (demographics/preparedness) to actually wind down a bit in the not too distant a future.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 13, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sweden is seemingly flattening out (deaths a big high, but hospitalizations are ticking down a bit without ever having gone really out of control) without a lockdown. so i don't think it is that optimistic to expect lockdowns in similar countries (demographics/preparedness) to actually wind down a bit in the not too distant a future.

i am pretty sure that there will be a relaxation of some kind in the coming weeks, but i still have a lurking feeling that whatever "flattening" we see is pure luck or some artifact of testing

for instance, japan was doing great for weeks while everybody else ate poo poo, and now they are ramping up measures and going into lockdown. was it all just posturing to avoid delaying the olympics?

germany also was doing well compared to france, italy and spain, but now they are also discussing making measures more strict.

is it something to do with available hospital beds per person? could be that countries who have neoliberal free marketed their healthcare will find that things have been "optimized" and there are not enough capacities for emergency response like this. i think it explains sweden, japan and germany being hit with less deaths because they could provide the best care

i bet the culture of showing up to work sick will bite japan in the rear end though

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Penisface posted:

is it something to do with available hospital beds per person? could be that countries who have neoliberal free marketed their healthcare will find that things have been "optimized" and there are not enough capacities for emergency response like this. i think it explains sweden, japan and germany being hit with less deaths because they could provide the best care

hospital beds per capita is quite low in Sweden though. there are only 2.1 beds per 1000 people here, which can be compared to 8 in Germany or 4.7 oecd average. I think low rates of smoking and obesity are bigger factors here.

https://data.oecd.org/healtheqt/hospital-beds.htm

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

hospital beds per capita is quite low in Sweden though. there are only 2.1 beds per 1000 people here, which can be compared to 8 in Germany or 4.7 oecd average. I think low rates of smoking and obesity are bigger factors here.

https://data.oecd.org/healtheqt/hospital-beds.htm

what about the social safety net that allows people to self-isolate without being afraid that they will be fired? paid sick leaves etc?

this seems to be the main thing in the US - many people can not afford not to go to work, so they go and catch it and spread it

i bet it is the same thing here in france too - well off people have a safety net but there are a lot of those who do not

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Penisface posted:

what about the social safety net that allows people to self-isolate without being afraid that they will be fired? paid sick leaves etc?

this seems to be the main thing in the US - many people can not afford not to go to work, so they go and catch it and spread it

i bet it is the same thing here in france too - well off people have a safety net but there are a lot of those who do not

I think that's slightly harsh on France - the government has at least said it'll do something for the self-employed!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I think that's slightly harsh on France - the government has at least said it'll do something for the self-employed!

does all the gig delivery and scooter collection count as self employment though?
i admit i have only been here since july, all i got is a gut feeling

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Penisface posted:

agreed, people are probably more likely to stay home when sick.

there is something to be said about timing too, it hit other parts of Europe before us so the example probably helped make people self-isolate and social distance themselves better.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Penisface posted:

i bet the culture of showing up to work sick will bite japan in the rear end though

i have a lot of Japanese colleagues out in Tokyo and a lot of junior-mid level staff have been working from home for at least a few weeks now, but yeah senior staff were all coming in up until last week and at least one person I spoke to (who like is a board member or something) said "well, my boss is still coming in so I have to"

up until now though, remote working out there was super rare though so this has been a pretty big change. they probably think we're a bunch of slackers in the other offices.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

“Hi I’m Henry Cavill and I like painting plastic spacemen”

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Penisface posted:

does all the gig delivery and scooter collection count as self employment though?
i admit i have only been here since july, all i got is a gut feeling

i no longer feel like giving the french authorities any benefit of the doubt so i'd assume that it only covers self employed earning more than 60k eur as lawyers, accountants or journalists or something dumb like that. i'm fairly certain that police officers are the main transmission vectors at this point, they've slowly restricted people's ability to go outside (in the middle of nowhere!) to the point that i have more close contact with people on the one road we can walk on and the constant police stops now than before the lockdown started

there's one road where you're only allowed to walk on one side!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 13, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the latest stop had a young police guy who clearly thought the whole thing was bullshit too. neither had masks or gloves.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. just installed itunes on my computer. i mkae good decisions.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I've done less than an hour of work today and my brain has leapt out of my ears

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

I've done less than an hour of work today and my brain has leapt out of my ears

i've spent just about the same amount of time trying to dodge doing work at all. worked pretty well so far.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
woke up at 5am realizing that i really just wanna get the roni and die and get it over with because lol there is no future, we're not getting a vaccine, we will be in lockdown forever, capitalism has failed and the billionaires in power will let the world die before they allow any sort of collectivism

feel free to call me a chicken little if i am eventually wrong about any of this, i will gladly take that whuppin

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

woke up at 5am realizing that i really just wanna get the roni and die and get it over with because lol there is no future, we're not getting a vaccine, we will be in lockdown forever, capitalism has failed and the billionaires in power will let the world die before they allow any sort of collectivism

feel free to call me a chicken little if i am eventually wrong about any of this, i will gladly take that whuppin

Hmm I don't like this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont like it any more than you do, trust me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dunno if that's happening at this time but this

Jonny 290 posted:

the billionaires in power will let the world die before they allow any sort of collectivism

is pretty much a given.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you should probably talk to a therapist.

while an in-person visit probably isn't feasible right now, it seems like talk therapy over a video chat should be a thing that exists.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

i no longer feel like giving the french authorities any benefit of the doubt so i'd assume that it only covers self employed earning more than 60k eur as lawyers, accountants or journalists or something dumb like that. i'm fairly certain that police officers are the main transmission vectors at this point, they've slowly restricted people's ability to go outside (in the middle of nowhere!) to the point that i have more close contact with people on the one road we can walk on and the constant police stops now than before the lockdown started

there's one road where you're only allowed to walk on one side!

yeah i live in paris proper and i have not really seen police at all. of course i have only been outside maybe 4-5 times this past month

honestly not sure what to think of it. not surprised at all that some cops are overeager chuds downplaying the risk and upplaying the jackboots

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

you should probably talk to a therapist.

while an in-person visit probably isn't feasible right now, it seems like talk therapy over a video chat should be a thing that exists.

"better help" advertises on a lot of podcasts, no idea if they are good or not but they are the only ones i've heard of.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

yeah i live in paris proper and i have not really seen police at all.

Busy making sure people don't go be alone in remote areas maybe.

I'm so glad i noped off weeks ago.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Penisface posted:

yeah i live in paris proper and i have not really seen police at all. of course i have only been outside maybe 4-5 times this past month

honestly not sure what to think of it. not surprised at all that some cops are overeager chuds downplaying the risk and upplaying the jackboots

The exact rules vary by region and don't always make a lot of sense - one bit of path near us is banned for no apparent reason and there's no sign (the police say they've asked for one but the council hasn't put one up yet - doesn't stop them hanging out there and dining people). Others are busier (still safe though - like one group per 40m and it's really wide as there's perpendicular parking) and technically banned but the police aren't fining people "as everyone walks there". I get that the council probably doesn't have the capacity or knowledge to implement rules sensibly, and that they have generally good intentions, but they don't seem to be improving of them or checking on the sanity of the implementation.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Jonny 290 posted:

billionaires can want all they like but the brittle society they built around themselves requires people who aren't them to do real poo poo. I agree capitalism is failed and is poo poo but there are pockets of good. Billionaires are not all powerful. We have the power. We create the value. That is just what billionaires want you to believe.

Keep your head up man. This sucks and I am probably able to type these words because I am having an oddly good morning. I try to remember that humans are unimpressive compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. We aren't the strongest, fastest, we have no impressive defense mechanisms, or have any natural weapons. What we do have is the ability to work together in sophisticated ways, that is how we have come this far and that is how we will continue to survive by connecting to and supporting our local community.

Billionaires are a blip in our evolution and I'd like to think they only exist for us to learn that we could do so much more if we weren't afraid all the time.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Drinking during covid

link

looks like Texas and Cali are in a race to the top. :getin:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I just realized why I am in such a good mood today. The answer may surprise you!

Forgot that I got laid last night heh

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

The exact rules vary by region and don't always make a lot of sense - one bit of path near us is banned for no apparent reason and there's no sign (the police say they've asked for one but the council hasn't put one up yet - doesn't stop them hanging out there and dining people). Others are busier (still safe though - like one group per 40m and it's really wide as there's perpendicular parking) and technically banned but the police aren't fining people "as everyone walks there". I get that the council probably doesn't have the capacity or knowledge to implement rules sensibly, and that they have generally good intentions, but they don't seem to be improving of them or checking on the sanity of the implementation.

oh well i guess i better stay inside until everybody figures this stuff out for themselves. :downs:

we went for a walk like two weeks ago and came back to an ambulance with fully hazmatted up doctors getting someone from across the street, that kind of quashed the appetite for walks

i admit would be nice to get out of town and wander around in nature a bit though

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

syntaxrigger posted:

Drinking during covid

link

looks like Texas and Cali are in a race to the top. :getin:

this is technically mapping who is talking about their drinking on Twitter

my theory is that in the northeast and midwest, stoically drinking yourself into oblivion in the privacy of your home is a long established way of life, seasonally practiced by millions. we don’t feel the need to advertise.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

my theory is that in the northeast and midwest, stoically drinking yourself into oblivion in the privacy of your home is a long established way of life, seasonally practiced by millions. we don’t feel the need to advertise.
this is the real poo poo right here. the raw intelligence

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Yeah it is probably more close to just a population heat map but it is a fun thing to think I guess.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it's a really bad map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah California wine moms and Nebraska wine moms are completely different breeds of vocal alcoholics