Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Could you do Witchcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Somebody in the April horror thread watched two Elizabeth Bathory inspired movies, and I realized you could probably do a whole month of those. 31 horror movies at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Bathory. But then I realized that would probably be real bad time, most of those movies would not be good.

So that got me thinking, if you were going to watch 31 horror movies all linked by a single element, what element would give you the worst possible selection of movies to choose from?

Sci-Fi Original

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Fuckin amityville

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Chain letters.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Someone in this thread was asking about Sea Fever earlier. I just watched it, and I think it's good but not great. There's some decent writing and a couple of very disturbing moments but the movie feels like it's missing one key element to really bring all the tension to a head.

When I do my writeup for the April challenge thread I'll probably give it a 3/5. Solid, worth a watch, but probably won't leave a lasting impression. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a slow-burn movie that takes a very scientific, reasoned approached to its horror.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gripweed posted:

Somebody in the April horror thread watched two Elizabeth Bathory inspired movies, and I realized you could probably do a whole month of those. 31 horror movies at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Bathory. But then I realized that would probably be real bad time, most of those movies would not be good.

So that got me thinking, if you were going to watch 31 horror movies all linked by a single element, what element would give you the worst possible selection of movies to choose from?

Found footage movies about a camera crew that goes to a haunted place to prove ghosts are real

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Human Lanterns yesterday and totally loved it. I’ve also seen and loved Horrors of Malformed Men, Blind Woman’s Curse, Seeding of a Ghost, and A Chinese Ghost Story. Can anyone recommend other films along those lines? Over the top 70s/80s Asian horror I guess.

And yes I’ve seen House, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for but I’m not sure there is really anything else quite like it anyway.

Most of the important ones have been mentioned, but somehow none of these posers told you to watch Boxer's Omen and you need to watch Boxer's Omen immediately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It say rob zombie wants you to care about his evil rear end in a top hat characters because I do tbh

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I quite liked the short film AM1200. Ray Wise has been wasted in too much trash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

It say rob zombie wants you to care about his evil rear end in a top hat characters because I do tbh

He definitely wants you to care about them, even like them. I just don't think he's nearly deluded enough to think he's writing antiheroes. He just wants to see if he can write the worst monsters in the world and have them charm you the way they've charmed him.

Again, its why I think its important that in Rejects he allows them to get their asses kicked. And the people who kick their asses are arguably bad guys too and much less charming. But they're also doing it to someone who "deserves" it while the 3 are just predators raping and murdering people weaker than them.

3 from Hell keeps them as monsters but suddenly they're also huge bad asses who can outsmart and out fight everyone and who seem impervious from harm. And I think that's a big flaw.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I tried to do 31 Stephen King adaptations for October a couple of years back.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

He definitely wants you to care about them, even like them. I just don't think he's nearly deluded enough to think he's writing antiheroes. He just wants to see if he can write the worst monsters in the world and have them charm you the way they've charmed him.

Again, its why I think its important that in Rejects he allows them to get their asses kicked. And the people who kick their asses are arguably bad guys too and much less charming. But they're also doing it to someone who "deserves" it while the 3 are just predators raping and murdering people weaker than them.

3 from Hell keeps them as monsters but suddenly they're also huge bad asses who can outsmart and out fight everyone and who seem impervious from harm. And I think that's a big flaw.

I don't think it's a flaw, I think it's an evolution. You go from the Firefly Family being mainly antagonists in the first film, to the "these-people-are-scum-but-somehow-i'm-rooting-for-them" of Rejects, and then by 3 From Hell they're essentially portrayed as badasses like you said.

Another part of it is you lost Spaulding who had a lot of the humor and sympathy especially as this cult character he became, and you wouldn't be able to do that with anything else. Replacing him with Brake and then having them be action heroes was a good move because if you can't have Spaulding you might as well have fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s fun to root for the bad guys sometimes. I know we’re in a weird age where people like fuckin steal their personality from bad tv show characters but idk.

Villains are fun. Kylo Ren is fun. Darth Vader is fun. Otis Firefly is fun.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s fun to root for the bad guys sometimes. I know we’re in a weird age where people like fuckin steal their personality from bad tv show characters but idk.

Villains are fun. Kylo Ren is fun. Darth Vader is fun. Otis Firefly is fun.

Otis can be fun, but he's legit unsettling in those two home invasion scenes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess that’s why he’s fun. It’s a roller coaster. I don’t want to hang out with the guy but I find his character compelling. Bill Mosely is underrrated and needs more roles

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bill Mosely is good and does a great performance with Otis which I definitely enjoy. But I don't think I have any "fun" with a serial killing, serial rapist just because he's kinda funny and I definitely don't "root" for him.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Otis is fun and I root for him, it's a movie

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

3 From Hell seemed like a pretty substantial downgrade from Devil's Reject in my opinion.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

Movies named after or about party games or playground games.

STAC Goat posted:

Bill Mosely is good and does a great performance with Otis which I definitely enjoy. But I don't think I have any "fun" with a serial killing, serial rapist just because he's kinda funny and I definitely don't "root" for him.

Yeah, I never "root" for Otis but thanks to Mosely's portrayal he's totally a guy you could probably hang out and have beers with if you caught him on a good day and had no idea what he was.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Gripweed posted:

Slenderman? Not sure you could find 31 movies without having to scrape the absolute bottom of the amateur filmmaker barrel so might be unfair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its what Mosely and Zombie do well. His characters are charming. You can absolutely see meeting Otis or Baby and being charmed by them and maybe even surviving the night never finding out what they really are. But Zombie never pulls punches showing us viewers what they are so they're never "sympathetic" or "rootable" characters to me.

AKZ posted:

3 From Hell seemed like a pretty substantial downgrade from Devil's Reject in my opinion.

I think Devil's Rejects is just a fundamentally better story. There's an arc, there's a foil, and it feels like a complete story even though it technically has neither a beginning nor end. I enjoyed 3 from Hell but I don't see myself going out of my way to rewatch it anytime soon because there wasn't much story or conflict or anything. It was just the Firefly clan on their wacky adventures of rape and murder. Which wasn't really the draw for me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 13, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What you guys are disagreeing about is the entire point of the character(s) though. You've got this heinous serial killer, he's a guy that under no circumstances would you want to cross paths with and he's just a disgusting human being on every level.

But this is fiction, and so Zombie is able to manipulate circumstances and events so that this Evil entity gets turned back on people who are almost just as bad as he is. And that is satisfying and can even be fun to watch, because you can let go of the anxiety you might usually have when you watch Otis and take a kind of perverse joy in watching him do his thing on people who actually deserve it. As the audience we're now the one pulling the trigger instead of being put in the place of the innocent victim looking down the barrel of the gun. That can be a good feeling, as hard as it can be to admit sometimes. But Zombie knows that and he revels in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Its what Mosely and Zombie do well. His characters are charming. You can absolutely see meeting Otis or Baby and being charmed by them and maybe even surviving the night never finding out what they really are. But Zombie never pulls punches showing us viewers what they are so they're never "sympathetic" or "rootable" characters to me.

Hit the nail on the head here. I think that's what makes the Firefly family (and this is showcased particularly well in Rejects) have that cult-appeal: we're used to bad guys in horror movies, we're used to "good" guys (or characters we root for), but we're not used to those being the same. This adds a lot of impact to the violence because we like the characters so seeing someone we view as charming or funny or likeable commit some brutal loving poo poo kinda shocks us.

3 From Hell I think is much better viewed going in as a Firefly fan. It's a movie that is based on the assumption that the viewer is sympathetic to the FF family, that's why they essentially become action heroes. I guess if you don't like them, it'd be a really lovely movie since they're the protagonists. I'm glad personally. There's only so much "wait...but these bad people are human?" counterpoint one can take and even though it's in 3FH (the scene where Baby misses Spaulding and Otis comforts her comes to mind), I like that Zombie ramped it up from "should I root for their survival? I kinda am" to full on "gently caress yeah let's watch them tear poo poo up".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "problem" for me is that 3 from Hell just lets them "win" too much so it makes enjoying them feel sleazier and more uncomfortable. Devil's Rejects works so well for me because, yeah, I can kind of enjoy these monsters but they don't come out ahead.

But again, I enjoyed 3 from Hell well enough and love Rejects. And I'm arguing that I think Zombie generally handles his characters properly and doesn't make excuses for them. I just think the latter movie was a bit of over indulgence, but it was probably always going to be.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think the "problem" for me is that 3 from Hell just lets them "win" too much so it makes enjoying them feel sleazier and more uncomfortable. Devil's Rejects works so well for me because, yeah, I can kind of enjoy these monsters but they don't come out ahead.

But again, I enjoyed 3 from Hell well enough and love Rejects. And I'm arguing that I think Zombie generally handles his characters properly and doesn't make excuses for them. I just think the latter movie was a bit of over indulgence, but it was probably always going to be.

I think it's just a difference of personal opinion too. The extra sleaziness and over-indulgence is what makes 3 From Hell so great especially if you watch if back-to-back with Rejects. To each their own!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely generally have less taste for "sleaziness" or what have you than many other spook-a-doodles. But yeah, that's fine. They're movies, not real life. So its just personal taste.

Rejects walks a perfect line for me. 3 from Hell kinda veered too much to one side for my tastes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Irony.or.Death posted:

Most of the important ones have been mentioned, but somehow none of these posers told you to watch Boxer's Omen and you need to watch Boxer's Omen immediately.

someone must have recommended that in the past because I already had it on my Letterboxd watchlist - I'll make it a priority!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

someone must have recommended that in the past because I already had it on my Letterboxd watchlist - I'll make it a priority!

Oh hey, it's up on YouTube :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJqKA-iSUw

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm not really a fan of the people doing spells subgenre of horror - Boxer's Omen, Black Magic, it's all pretty meh.

What nobody has mentioned is The Butterfly Murders (1979) - it's probably the most consistently insane kung fu horror movie I've seen, with an ending that is in my opinion even beyond Chow Yun Fat killing the Alien with a rocket launcher. The version I watched had absolutely bonkers bad subs, which made it so much better.
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-butterfly-murders/
Here is the premise:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I watched Human Lanterns yesterday and totally loved it. I’ve also seen and loved Horrors of Malformed Men, Blind Woman’s Curse, Seeding of a Ghost, and A Chinese Ghost Story. Can anyone recommend other films along those lines? Over the top 70s/80s Asian horror I guess.

And yes I’ve seen House, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for but I’m not sure there is really anything else quite like it anyway.

Hello friend

Devil Fetus is the film you are looking for. The sequel Devil Fetus : The Rape After is also worth watching as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

One I don't see mentioned much is Corpse Mania (Si Yiu). It's not quite insane by thread standards, actually a very grounded movie in comparison to anything else anyone's suggested. But it's worth checking out because it's a Shaw Bros. giallo period piece that looks good, has some good kill scenes, good surprise ending, etc. Same director as Hex and Boxer's Omen and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vylkMQ_rs

married but discreet posted:

I'm not really a fan of the people doing spells subgenre of horror - Boxer's Omen, Black Magic, it's all pretty meh.

What nobody has mentioned is The Butterfly Murders (1979) - it's probably the most consistently insane kung fu horror movie I've seen, with an ending that is in my opinion even beyond Chow Yun Fat killing the Alien with a rocket launcher. The version I watched had absolutely bonkers bad subs, which made it so much better.
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-butterfly-murders/
Here is the premise:

I bring it up every couple of months but unlike Horror Express it still hasn't totally caught on with the thread yet. :(

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a little slower paced and more like an investigation/slasher (with wuxia stuff) but I'd very very strongly recommend checking out The Butterfly Murders, I'm going to copy and paste a post I made about it earlier in the thread:

I bring it up every couple of months (probably even already in this thread a lot) but definitely check out The Butterfly Murders on Prime. It starts out in an almost insultingly typical way, here in Martial World 72 powerful people vie for power etc., you know the deal. But then someone selling a fake (OR WAS IT?!?!) story to a newspaper is found bloodily strung up outside of the city's printing press and it becomes an investigative murder mystery conspiracy by the reporter and some allies in claustrophobic surroundings but with and about wuxia stuff. It's an impressively dangerous feeling film despite how powerful the main folks are. And it has a *GREAT* masked killer, the movie predates Jason but this dude is literally like a Mortal Kombat ninja slasher monster so fans of either will dig it. I just wish the print was better because you can tell the colors were great in the exteriors and once they get to the movie's central location and I fuckin' love how this movie is lit. I also wish they somehow made more of them (since the movie isn't perfect but I personally do love it for its atmosphere and mystery) even if it would make no sense, who cares. Also historically important because it was Tsui Hark's directorial debut.

Anyway I wish this movie could be restored in some way because it's really well shot and also gets more and more darkly lit as it goes on, I love it. The movie is still on Prime so it's worth a look imo.

Fuckin' love this movie honestly.

Something else that makes it just feel more brutal to me is how there's a distinct lack of "graceful" weaponry in it. It's all like axes, explosives, etc., which is an interesting contrast to the butterflies themselves and also plays into the real motivation of the movie's antagonist in a cool way That's the extra thing that pushes it up an notch for me, it's super rad in general but actually has a developed theme that plays out over the movie and even mostly comes through in the subtitles!

Hollismason posted:

Hello friend

Devil Fetus is the film you are looking for. The sequel Devil Fetus : The Rape After is also worth watching as well.

!!! I had no idea The Rape After was a sequel (I only ever saw it without the Devil Fetus part in the title). I'll have to check out Devil Fetus.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 14, 2020

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Good thing I still have the free month of Shudder for a few more days so I could finish catching up on some movies.

For the sake of completion, checked out Hell House LLC 2 and 3, which were both bad, but the second was godawful boring and the third was just mediocre.

But then I got to Tammy and the T-Rex and that movie is wonderful

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BrendianaJones posted:

That movie, like, just absolutely rules and is so much fun. It's impressive that the animatronic T-Rex isn't even the weirdest thing about it.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

That movie, like, just absolutely rules and is so much fun. It's impressive that the animatronic T-Rex isn't even the weirdest thing about it.

It's like, every time I think it can't get weirder, it does, I love it

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the killer butterflies movie have the ninja guy who's armor was literally made out of rubber bathmats? Complete with little suction cups?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrendianaJones posted:

Good thing I still have the free month of Shudder for a few more days so I could finish catching up on some movies.

For the sake of completion, checked out Hell House LLC 2 and 3, which were both bad, but the second was godawful boring and the third was just mediocre.

I actually liked 2, 3 was insanely bad but that ending had me in tears.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hell House LLC 2 felt like Matrix 2 to me. It devotes its entire climax to setting up the third film and lands with a thud as a result. I was mostly enjoying 3 because I thought it kind of went back to what worked the first time but using the cast of the first two films for the scares which I think was cute and effective. But then that last act is terrible and the whole meta plot of the franchise is a mess.

The trilogy works when its minimalist tension building and scares from the shadows. But when they tried to do something bigger, man, poo poo got bad.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Holy poo poo the Horror Virgin podcast is unbearable. Like, the concept of a show where horror fans and a guy who is just getting into the genre discussing films is really cool and fun but my god it's near unlistenable.

HERIDITARY MORE LIKE HERIDISCARY LOL THAT LIL GIRL SURE IS UUUUUUUUUUUUUUGLY LOLLLLLL GRANMA GOT SOME SCARY NAKED FRIENDS LOL DID YOU SEE HOW SMALL THE PENIS WAS LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Holy poo poo the one dude is the most soul searingly unfunny human I've ever heard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're describing 99.9% of horror podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You're describing 99.9% of podcasts.