Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Man, have been looking for a decent used hand planer, but I swear every local one is marked up as "antique", "rare", "vintage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Man, have been looking for a decent used hand planer, but I swear every local one is marked up as "antique", "rare", "vintage".

Yeah I think eBay just has a better supply of decent 20th century hand planes at "reasonable" prices. Too rare for local prices to be not outrageous.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Granite Octopus posted:

Made a bread box based on a Paul Sellers project. I didn’t actually watch the videos since it’s pretty simple. Did some basic box joints as I didn’t like the design of his.

The main box is some ~90 year old silky oak from a bed belonging to my grandmother. The cutting board part is unknown firewood, probably turpentine, since it was basically 100% silica, destroyed all my tool edges, and was full of interlocking grain that just loved to chip and splinter, even using a fresh card scraper. Such a bastard to work. I’m now worried it might even be too hard for my bread knife... The good thing about this design is I can just make another lid in future if I feel like it.

That's really pretty grain, friend. I've never heard of turpentine as anything other than a solvent. The bread looks pretty well crafted also.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thanks for the info. Managed to mess around with SketchUp for a bit and got this.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I concur with the plywood recommendation. High-quality plywood with a gentle roundover looks good (so long as you don't mind the visible plies on the edges), takes finish well, and is definitely stronger than a door would be. Or if you're equipped to do more intensive woodworking, it's really not hard to make a solid wood desktop. Buy 4/4 lumber, edge join (biscuits/dowels aren't needed for strength since the glue surface area is so large), plane flat, sand, finish. You'll want some cross-supports underneath to help bear load, but you'd want that for any tabletop unless it's made from really beefy materials.

I'm not particularly well equipped, but I've been meaning to get more tools for a while. Trying to build a desk for cheaper than a commercial solution seems like a great reason to buy tools that cost more than a commercial desk. I have a reasonably ok miter saw, not enough clamps, the aforementioned scroll saw which is of tremendous use to building a desk I'm sure, and various hand tools. Time for a table saw?

Or I could just use plywood. And buy a table saw anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Projects are a great excuse to buy tools! That said, I think the big thing you'd be missing from your current toolset is a means of jointing the boards (so they have straight edges that can be glued up) and of flattening the desk after everything's glued. A hand plane can do both of those jobs, but it takes some practice to get good results. A tablesaw can do the jointing but not the flattening -- that said, they're also pretty useful tools in general. A belt sander could do the flattening (or at least, can produce a smooth top) but isn't appropriate for jointing.

Or you could just use a sheet of plywood. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also cutting down an 8x4 sheet of ply on a table saw requires a big table saw and/or an outfeed table. Get a circular saw and a track or just a long straight edge, and something to cut it on (a big sheet of dense pink insulation foam works well if you don't mind that it gets chopped up and eventually you trash it; or, you can get hobby horses or something).

I mean, by all means get a table saw if you're going to do lots more woodworking projects, but I own one and I'm not comfortable with breaking down 8x4 on it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can break a sheet down with a jigsaw if you're going to neaten it up afterwards.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Leperflesh posted:

Also cutting down an 8x4 sheet of ply on a table saw requires a big table saw and/or an outfeed table. Get a circular saw and a track or just a long straight edge, and something to cut it on (a big sheet of dense pink insulation foam works well if you don't mind that it gets chopped up and eventually you trash it; or, you can get hobby horses or something).

I mean, by all means get a table saw if you're going to do lots more woodworking projects, but I own one and I'm not comfortable with breaking down 8x4 on it.

Same. I loving HATE trying to break down a 4x8 sheet of any type of material, even with my outfeed.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I just finished cutting and fitting panels for my new desk. The steel structure will be welded into the angle pieces that secure the sides. Effectively, the strength will come from the steel since to two side pieces that hang down won't be loaded. This whole thing is a complicated way to hang my humanscale keyboard tray. The long piece of flat stock that connects the two sides is recessed so that the underside is flat for mounting the tray track:

Design sketch:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any suggested books/articles etc on building/designing chairs? Not so much interested in Windsor/staked chairs as much as historical-ish Queen Anne/Georgian stuff. Anything generally on ‘this is what makes chairs comfortable and this is why’ would be useful too.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Finished desk. I really like this wood finish (tried and true original):

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm making my plane pointlessly flat

(yes the handle is broken too)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

You ought to be able to glue it together. I did one, but you have to overlook how silly looking a clamp on a plane is.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So if I want to buy a saw rail and a decent circular saw (I don't think I have the space for a decent table saw, especially if I need an outfeed table) is there a go-to circular saw model/manufacturer? My basic understanding of woodworking tools so far is Kreg makes really great pocket hole jigs and that I need more clamps.

Also is it better to just buy something like 3/4 inch mahogany plywood or do a 3/4 inch cheap thing and glue/affix a 1/4 inch mahogany face to it? Make something out of solid wood and face it? Is this the same as veneering or is 1/4 inch too thick to be considered veneer? Eventually I'll get around to installing sketchup and then agonize over plans, but not yet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
1/4" is thicker than what I'd consider veneer. That said, my experience with doing veneer myself is "don't". It's fiddly work and all too easy to leave gaps between the sheets. Just get the mahogany veneer plywood.

Circular saws: I don't have a ton of experience with 'em, but they're fairly simple tools, so I expect that most will work fine. It's not like there's a ton of features you need -- as long as you can set a depth stop and tilt the blade, you're set. I'd avoid the absolute cheapest offerings on the theory that they're likely prone to being out of square and/or wobbling, but everything else should be fine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
One thing about circular saws: the Skil HD77 worm drive absolutely chews through wood effortlessly in a way that a typical home improvement store sidewinder will not.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm having an absolute poo poo of a time finding hose for dust extraction that isn't either absolute rock bottom black plastic stuff, or £30/m ridiculous pricing. Help.

Circular saws: I don't have a ton of experience with 'em, but they're fairly simple tools, so I expect that most will work fine. It's not like there's a ton of features you need -- as long as you can set a depth stop and tilt the blade, you're set. I'd avoid the absolute cheapest offerings on the theory that they're likely prone to being out of square and/or wobbling, but everything else should be fine.

The festool track saw has a riving knife that drops into place as you cut, which is nice, but.. festool.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

Also is it better to just buy something like 3/4 inch mahogany plywood or do a 3/4 inch cheap thing and glue/affix a 1/4 inch mahogany face to it? Make something out of solid wood and face it? Is this the same as veneering or is 1/4 inch too thick to be considered veneer? Eventually I'll get around to installing sketchup and then agonize over plans, but not yet.

Yeah 1/4" is too thick to consider a veneer. If you want to do it with figured mahogany or some rare species then I'd say go with veneer, but if you're going with regular mahogany and trying to save a few bucks by veneering just shell out for the mahogany plywood.

Here's an update on the jewelry cabinet I've been working on, got the doors fitted and front and back veneers applied. Then I hacked up the doors a bit for some abalone shell inlay that I still need to glue in. I've embedded a couple rare earth magnets in the doors and a couple more in the door stop to keep them closed.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've thought about doing this so many times. Love it.

Also one of my secret reasons for wanting to get more into machining is so I can get an older small surface grinder and use it to flatten the backs of chisels and plane blades amongst normal surface grinder use.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Yeah 1/4" is too thick to consider a veneer. If you want to do it with figured mahogany or some rare species then I'd say go with veneer, but if you're going with regular mahogany and trying to save a few bucks by veneering just shell out for the mahogany plywood.

Here's an update on the jewelry cabinet I've been working on, got the doors fitted and front and back veneers applied. Then I hacked up the doors a bit for some abalone shell inlay that I still need to glue in. I've embedded a couple rare earth magnets in the doors and a couple more in the door stop to keep them closed.

You do gorgeous and inspiring work-thanks for sharing!

I need to get back into veneering. It opens so many possibilities.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olothreutes posted:

So if I want to buy a saw rail and a decent circular saw (I don't think I have the space for a decent table saw, especially if I need an outfeed table) is there a go-to circular saw model/manufacturer? My basic understanding of woodworking tools so far is Kreg makes really great pocket hole jigs and that I need more clamps.

I went through this problem a while ago, I decided to make something out of bb plywood hoping to veneer it later. I ended up painting it as veneering would have been very difficult at that scale and ended up more expensive than buying veneered plywood in the first place. My recommending for a beginner is to make whatever out of normal plywood, then have another go out of pre-veneered ply when you've made mistakes in the cheaper material.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

1/4" is thicker than what I'd consider veneer. That said, my experience with doing veneer myself is "don't". It's fiddly work and all too easy to leave gaps between the sheets. Just get the mahogany veneer plywood.

If you plan to use it as a track saw, buy something dedicated to being a track saw. If it was me, I would pick up the kreg ACS with the fold up table for $800. Circular saws can be converted to track saws and there are several companies offering that kind of kit for cheaper than a track saw setup. The downside of a traditional circular saw is lack of plunge cut on the saw + you can't do bevel cuts with those systems since changing the bevel angle would require moving the cutting edge on the saw track.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

cakesmith handyman posted:

I went through this problem a while ago, I decided to make something out of bb plywood hoping to veneer it later. I ended up painting it as veneering would have been very difficult at that scale and ended up more expensive than buying veneered plywood in the first place. My recommending for a beginner is to make whatever out of normal plywood, then have another go out of pre-veneered ply when you've made mistakes in the cheaper material.

fwiw, baltic birch or maple multi-ply (appleply?) are a joy to work with, if you're into the striped edges (or you do mitered edges).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

asmasm posted:

If you plan to use it as a track saw, buy something dedicated to being a track saw. If it was me, I would pick up the kreg ACS with the fold up table for $800. Circular saws can be converted to track saws and there are several companies offering that kind of kit for cheaper than a track saw setup. The downside of a traditional circular saw is lack of plunge cut on the saw + you can't do bevel cuts with those systems since changing the bevel angle would require moving the cutting edge on the saw track.

Yeah I keep considering buying the ACS and table since it seems like such a handy setup.

I have been disappointed with the Kreg Accu-cut system-- since as you said it lacks a plunge feature starting the cut always seemed awkward since I don't have a good elevated work surface and starting my cuts never seemed very accurate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Yeah I keep considering buying the ACS and table since it seems like such a handy setup.

I have been disappointed with the Kreg Accu-cut system-- since as you said it lacks a plunge feature starting the cut always seemed awkward since I don't have a good elevated work surface and starting my cuts never seemed very accurate.

You mean they "never seemed very KREG® Accu-Cut™️"

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

When a free tablesaw pops up on craigslist 3 blocks away so you can live your best regular and dedicated dado stack life.

Pretty silly but im digging having the extra tablespace.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Spookmaster posted:

When a free tablesaw pops up on craigslist 3 blocks away so you can live your best regular and dedicated dado stack life.

i’m sorry to have to tell you that your new saw is haunted, that’s why it was free

good news i can exorcise it for you, just send it to me along with $100k

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

The Spookmaster posted:

I'd love to have a setup like this.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

HolHorsejob posted:

fwiw, baltic birch or maple multi-ply (appleply?) are a joy to work with, if you're into the striped edges (or you do mitered edges).

Are folks finding the birch ply in more than 5 layers? I read somewhere that 9 layer was good stuff, but cannot find it hereabouts. Also the inner layers appear to be the most knot-void riddled poo poo wood possible with the thinnest veneer on the surfaces. Of course a derivative of murphys law causes all of those voids to exist aling finished edges.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

The Spookmaster posted:

drat, I need to start monitoring craigslist.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Now you just need two more table saws for outfeed support

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hasselblad posted:

Are folks finding the birch ply in more than 5 layers? I read somewhere that 9 layer was good stuff, but cannot find it hereabouts. Also the inner layers appear to be the most knot-void riddled poo poo wood possible with the thinnest veneer on the surfaces. Of course a derivative of murphys law causes all of those voids to exist aling finished edges.

3/4” Baltic birch has 13 plies about 1/16” thick (the faces are sanded to make it 3/4”). 1/2” BB looks like it has 9 plies. Either should have very very few/no internal voids and all the plies are birch. It is very good plywood. You’ll probably have to get it from a specialty lumber/hardwood/cabinet supplier. 3/4” Chinese birch (usually sold as chinabirch) also has 13 plies but it is some poo poo that’s full of knots and voids and doesn’t stay flat and the internal plies aren’t always birch, but it’s a lot cheaper than Baltic birch or domestic hardwood plywood.

Most of what you’d buy at a big box labeled as ‘birch plywood’ is just normal domestic hardwood plywood with a thin birch face veneer. Around here the core plies are usually poplar, but I think alder, aspen, birch and gum get used some too. It’s decent plywood, but not nearly as stiff as Baltic birch.

Home Depot here sells some stuff called ‘sandeply’ from South America that I’ve had good luck. It is some kind of tropical hardwood and it’s a little soft, but it stays very flat and is quite stiff.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

3/4” Baltic birch has 13 plies about 1/16” thick (the faces are sanded to make it 3/4”). 1/2” BB looks like it has 9 plies. Either should have very very few/no internal voids and all the plies are birch. It is very good plywood. You’ll probably have to get it from a specialty lumber/hardwood/cabinet supplier. 3/4” Chinese birch (usually sold as chinabirch) also has 13 plies but it is some poo poo that’s full of knots and voids and doesn’t stay flat and the internal plies aren’t always birch, but it’s a lot cheaper than Baltic birch or domestic hardwood plywood.

Most of what you’d buy at a big box labeled as ‘birch plywood’ is just normal domestic hardwood plywood with a thin birch face veneer. Around here the core plies are usually poplar, but I think alder, aspen, birch and gum get used some too. It’s decent plywood, but not nearly as stiff as Baltic birch.

Home Depot here sells some stuff called ‘sandeply’ from South America that I’ve had good luck. It is some kind of tropical hardwood and it’s a little soft, but it stays very flat and is quite stiff.

Yeah, I’ll have to hit up the custom cabinet folks nearby, because the bb I have gotten from home depot is not remotely that level of quality, and it is in the neighborhood of $50 per 4x8.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Be warned that HD will mix in some really porous core plywood as "Baltic Birch". I learned the hard way grabbing a sheet to cut on a laser and it just lit the whole thing on fire from the inside out. Its cheaper and better quality to get it from a lumber yard.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

JEEVES420 posted:

Be warned that HD will mix in some really porous core plywood as "Baltic Birch". I learned the hard way grabbing a sheet to cut on a laser and it just lit the whole thing on fire from the inside out. Its cheaper and better quality to get it from a lumber yard.

Huh interesting, usually I burn my projects after I complete them I've never thought of saving a step and doing it during. Good trick

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

i’m sorry to have to tell you that your new saw is haunted, that’s why it was free
good news i can exorcise it for you, just send it to me along with $100k

He knew that already. It's a Sears. You really do not want that to be your 1st table saw.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Huh interesting, usually I burn my projects after I complete them I've never thought of saving a step and doing it during. Good trick

lol

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

JEEVES420 posted:

:stare:

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Hasselblad posted:

drat, I need to start monitoring craigslist.

I use an app called "Freebie Alerts" that you can set to only show posts that have your specific search terms. It pulls from craigslist, offerup, letgo and one other. Ive grabbed a bunch of tools and hardwood from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Due to working from home, I’m building myself a desk. Nothing fancy, it’s literally made of construction 2x4s, 2x6s and 2x2s. I’m staining it with minwax oil based stain. I’ve laid the rags I used out flat to dry so they didn’t spontaneously combust. Now that they are dry and stiff, is there still a combustion danger?

I’ll post pictures once I put the poly on, just don’t expect anything great, it’s the first major thing I’ve ever built and there are plenty of flaws in it.