Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Historic is great! Everyone should play Historic if they got the cards for it. It's really funny when someone double scapeshifts in the wrong neighborhood and only makes you win harder.

Thalia and Ranger of Eos are greatly appreciated additions to Soul Sisters. I don't know what kinda deck Knight of the Reliquary goes in but I'd like to brew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

You think there's a big market for these? Likely to only appear in one set in the foreseeable future, and one that isn't going to be touched in paper until who knows when.

There might be, I don't really know. I'd just like to have the option available for those who want some fancier counters. Plus we've had a tough time connecting with the MtG crowd, so every little bit helps :)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Hasbro got me.

I finally tried out Arena after much kicking and screaming. I think I've played more magic in the last two days than I have in my entire life, at the very least against more decks and with more decks. I haven't had to feel the shame of sitting in a LGS for an entire two days. I haven't spent a cent either.

I get it now

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Eej posted:

Historic is great! Everyone should play Historic if they got the cards for it. It's really funny when someone double scapeshifts in the wrong neighborhood and only makes you win harder.

Thalia and Ranger of Eos are greatly appreciated additions to Soul Sisters. I don't know what kinda deck Knight of the Reliquary goes in but I'd like to brew it.

I'm somehow undefeated in Historic with an awful jank Dread Presence Superfriends deck. Granted that's only 3-0, but still.

My favorite moment was my opponent scapeshifting themselves when I had Ashiok out then conceding.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I signed up for the historic challenge for some reason. I started 5/0 then failed to be an active participant in more than 1 game in 3 of my next 4 matches. Nexus of Fate and Field of the Dead are apparently legal and seem to be around 70% of the format and wtf why would anyone play this format? I played against 5 UG Mistakes, either Nexus of Field, and the other 4 were one really bad UB control deck, 2 Gruul and one red hyper aggro.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

suicidesteve posted:

I signed up for the historic challenge for some reason. I started 5/0 then failed to be an active participant in more than 1 game in 3 of my next 4 matches. Nexus of Fate and Field of the Dead are apparently legal and seem to be around 70% of the format and wtf why would anyone play this format? I played against 5 UG Mistakes, either Nexus of Field, and the other 4 were one really bad UB control deck, 2 Gruul and one red hyper aggro.

What were playing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

suicidesteve posted:

What was your plan vs Field or Nexus? If you went 5-3 without any meta knowledge that's pretty dang good

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bust Rodd posted:

What were playing?

Some Esper Fae of Wishes pile I brewed a while ago. It's fun but it seems pretty awful against UGx piles (in spite of my results,) which seems like the last place you want to be in the format. The highlight was EOT wish for Fall of the Thran with an Ashiok out to win my first match.

Eej posted:

What was your plan vs Field or Nexus? If you went 5-3 without any meta knowledge that's pretty dang good

My original plan was assume they were banned because wtf would they not be. They're banned in the format above and below it in power level. Once that didn't work, it was to draw my 1 copy of Unmoored Ego or Ashiok and hope they had somehow not already put a Field into play. Occasionally I played protect the king with Teferi until his ult won me the game. I added some additional copies of Unmoored Ego and a copy of the -2/-2 enchantment but apparently you can't update your deck mid-challenge.

The annoying part is all 3 of my losses weren't even to the deck I was playing against or anything. It was just my deck deciding to not function. 4 mulls to 5 in 3 matches, didn't hit a 5th land until 20-30 cards down multiple times, missed multiple 3rd lands through a Search for Azcanta or Omen of the Sea, etc. Annoying. :shrug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just sounds like you didn't have the right tech to go in vs a Field meta which is fine. A few Detention Bois are enough to handle the waves tbh. Bounce em with Teferi or do the spicy Esper Hero thing with Thassa constantly clearing tokens at EOT. Esper is very strong in the Historic meta (for the next 3 days lol) so you can always iterate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Field of the Dead isn’t nearly as powerful in Historic because all the good Aggro decks can race it and there are multiple, reliable ways to interact with lands. I think I saw 3 zombie tokens in my run.

Nexus of Fate is a bullshit magic card and the idiots who designed it should be fired...out of a cannon... into the sun.

Gruul feels stronger and faster than any other deck. I beat Soul Sisters but only by the skin of my teeth 1 time, and my worst losses were to combo decks I have never seen or heard of.

Anyway here’s a very, very dumb Pioneer list

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1249658769744814082?s=21

EDIT: OH MY GOD

https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/status/1249723834468577280?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 13, 2020

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
am i the only one seeing this

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Seeing what?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently? :confused:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kurtofan posted:

oh fug XDDDD dat’s a benis XDDDDD

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurtofan posted:

I also can see an image of a swamp

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kurtofan posted:

A swamp actually depicting a swamp?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Wow, $70 a piece for an alt art fetch land. WotC really doesn't want them to be affordable, do they?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

neaden posted:

Wow, $70 a piece for an alt art fetch land. WotC really doesn't want them to be affordable, do they?

I think it's just that WOTC doesn't set MSRP anymore so retailers can just do what the gently caress ever now.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'm guessing bone cock, lily-pad balls? I wouldn't have noticed without looking for it + diseased mind

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Look Around You posted:

I think it's just that WOTC doesn't set MSRP anymore so retailers can just do what the gently caress ever now.

You think WOTC doesn't understand how pricing works?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Look Around You posted:

They always could have though right? I don't think WotC punished stores for selling over MSRP. If stores are selling this for a lot more then they are buying for it's only because WotC is printing so few of these.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Companions may or may not end up being good for the game but they are good for teaching people about the statistics of random without replacement and variance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7hipBND6c

In person arena drafts starting with Ikoria! I sure as hell wasn't expecting that so fast.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

oh fug XDDDD dat’s a benis XDDDDD

i'm sorry for being a child

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

resistentialism posted:

I'm guessing bone cock, lily-pad balls? I wouldn't have noticed without looking for it + diseased mind

yeah bone cock, it works better when it's cropped

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7hipBND6c

In person arena drafts starting with Ikoria! I sure as hell wasn't expecting that so fast.

Honestly more excited about them finally adding a "confirm pick" failsafe to the draft UI but in person drafts are pretty cool too.

Very surprised that they expect to have a cross platform mobile option this year with everything else that's going on. RIP to my phone battery if it's even half decent.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-april-2020-04-13

here's the article if you'd rather read then watch

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Notably everyone's getting a free Player Draft (named "Premier Draft") which has an entry fee of 1500 gems/10,000 gold.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So if you lose your first two games of Bo3 draft you may as play the last one and concede (at some point) to give the other guy better rewards.

Unless we know they always match up 0-2s versus 0-2s, I guess.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kurtofan posted:

yeah bone cock, it works better when it's cropped

don't push your western religion on me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hmm yes I love paying 350$ for taco chips

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
So, the new expected values for the prize payouts:
New traditional draft: 750 gems and 2.75 packs,
New premier draft, 820 gems and 2.5 packs.
Quick draft (what we have Bo1), 347 gems and 1.33 packs, with half the entry fee.

Numbers of course adjust if you consistently beat 50% win rate, and you should add whatever value you have for the drafted cards.

Also, my calculations indicate that drafting against players is 38% more fun, but there are lots of assumptions to get that number.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you have multiples of jubilant skybonder do they give each other the same ability and the tax value doesn't change, or do you get multiple instances of the tax ability and they have to pay the extra amount multiple times?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/RealMtgNews/status/1249759715615076363?s=20

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

resistentialism posted:

If you have multiples of jubilant skybonder do they give each other the same ability and the tax value doesn't change, or do you get multiple instances of the tax ability and they have to pay the extra amount multiple times?

Each bonder grants an additional copy of the ability so they effectively stack yes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kurtofan posted:

Looks like an arm sticking out of the water telling you to go left to me

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

All I see is a pissed off skeleton flipping me off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Count Bleck posted:

All I see is a pissed off skeleton flipping me off

hey LISTEN HERE BUDDY

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hmm yes I love paying 350$ for taco chips