Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is why the good edition of D&D has encounter budgets (and ones that actually work) though.

The mark of good rules is that you don't have to fudge them.

D&D is a tabletop strategy game. v:shobon:v

You know what I'm talking about. I don't have the right TG words for it, but the difference between a game with a DM and a bunch of players working out a scenario and one where two guys unbox armies of little plastic men and someone crushes the other at the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You know what I'm talking about. I don't have the right TG words for it, but the difference between a game with a DM and a bunch of players working out a scenario and one where two guys unbox armies of little plastic men and someone crushes the other at the end of it.

I do, and I still disagree. You might not win a D&D campaign but you can absolutely win a D&D encounter. The quality of any given edition of D&D is basically a question of whether the encounter rules are robust enough that the DM can play hardball and create a fair encounter at the same time.

The asymmetry and the presumption that the PCs will usually win (and that the game doesn't just immediately end if they lose, but simply progresses with narrative consequences) are important, but they're mostly a way to still engage in a game that you can win or lose, but without the intense pressure of symmetrical 1v1 competition.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
:zak: hates GNS because he was really disappointed when the S didn't stand for poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ironically the worst enemy of Gamist design is not "storygames" or Narrativism at all, but the attitude -- endemic to the OSR, although not necessarily synonymous with it depending on who you ask -- of "rulings, not rules"

which is basically an open endorsement of Calvinball and fudging and makes everything I just said impossible

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I have many regrets in life, and a very large one is that I have never had the opportunity to shove known rapist and pants-shitter Zak S' head into a toilet.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all of which is a fascinating subject that i could talk about for hours, but also a pretty major derail from this thread about how Zak S. is a rapist

And an internet harasser. And a pants shitter. Can't forget about that.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shardix posted:

I have many regrets in life, and a very large one is that I have never had the opportunity to shove known rapist and pants-shitter Zak S' head into a toilet.

same

:zak:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:zak: hates GNS because he was really disappointed when the S didn't stand for poo poo.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I know this doesn't meaningfully add anything to the ongoing discussion, but I have to say it really sickens me that this thread has to exist in the first place. Like, goddamn. What a hobby.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Falstaff posted:

I know this doesn't meaningfully add anything to the ongoing discussion, but I have to say it really sickens me that this thread has to exist in the first place. Like, goddamn. What a hobby.

I mean, lets be real the number 1 problem here is Zak S. But the 2nd problem is Australia's lovely rear end fuckin laws.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mors Rattus posted:

i look forward to his attempts to serve papers on twitter and SA user names

Definitely can't wait for him to take me to the Sharia court

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

CainFortea posted:

I mean, lets be real the number 1 problem here is Zak S. But the 2nd problem is Australia's lovely rear end fuckin laws.

yeah our defamation laws are hosed, it screws over any attempt at actual journalism and leaves us with nothing but the company hacks who will kiss arse to get a 10-ply interview with a billionaire

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thatbastardken posted:

yeah our defamation laws are hosed, it screws over any attempt at actual journalism and leaves us with nothing but the company hacks who will kiss arse to get a 10-ply interview with a billionaire
Well............

Even a completely jaundiced view of US jurisprudence would say they would probably not want to establish a precedent regarding legal penalty for saying mean poo poo on the Internet, given that this is the primary method of modern governance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I do, and I still disagree. You might not win a D&D campaign but you can absolutely win a D&D encounter. The quality of any given edition of D&D is basically a question of whether the encounter rules are robust enough that the DM can play hardball and create a fair encounter at the same time.

The asymmetry and the presumption that the PCs will usually win (and that the game doesn't just immediately end if they lose, but simply progresses with narrative consequences) are important, but they're mostly a way to still engage in a game that you can win or lose, but without the intense pressure of symmetrical 1v1 competition.

Campaign structure rather argues against this interpretation for any D&D game post-AD&D. The question, as designed, isn't if PCs win an encounter, but rather what portion of their daily resources are expended doing so.

Mind you, there is never a question if Zak is going to throw a tantrum when argued with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can't believe I only today found out about piece of poo poo abuser and rapist Zak Smith, and how he walks around making GBS threads into a plastic bag constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Just to clarify, do both Ettin and Zack S live in Australia? This feels like a thing you would only see happen in America.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nope just Ettin. In this particular case America is objectively better than Australia and Canada.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I said come in! posted:

Just to clarify, do both Ettin and Zack S live in Australia? This feels like a thing you would only see happen in America.

All you need is a lawyer who is licensed to practice in the jurisdiction you're suing from and the ability to convince a judge that you have standing to sue in that jurisdiction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

When he pulls this poo poo on Mandy, like what is he hoping for?

Does he really think parading his victim aound and forcing her to make court-ordered statements is going to make everyone forget he's a bully? It's just going to remind everyone of his goddamn crimes.

Which might be the silver lining here

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He also just wants to make her suffer, remember.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

moths posted:

When he pulls this poo poo on Mandy, like what is he hoping for?

It's about power. Suing Mandy is his way of showing her that she can't get away from him. That she's still under his power. The same with compelling Ettin to post that apology everywhere. He's desperate to be the big man, the one in charge, and forcing people to do what he wants is part of that. Also punishing people for resistance.

I'd actually be interested to know if he's ever played a roleplaying game, as opposed to running them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nope just Ettin. In this particular case America is objectively better than Australia and Canada.

So much so that the US specifically passed a law rendering such judgments unenforceable in the United States unless it could be shown the judgment meets US standards. The US has its own problems with rich shitheads trying to bury people in frivolous lawsuits but we're so much better than a lot of countries.

In the US these are called SLAPP lawsuits and unfortunately not every state has the strong anti-SLAPP laws of California and Texas. So goons, if your state doesn't have a strong anti-SLAPP law go bother your state reps about it. And for an example of this working beautifully go visit the Vic Mignogns thread and revel that he now has to pay for the lawyers of his victims after having his defamation suit thrown out

Fake e: my phone keeps trying to autocorrect defamation into defecation, like the abuser and rapist and lovely game designer Zac S has not under penalty of perjury denied doing at a closed christian chicken sandwich restaurant.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You think the likes of Critical Role's success just eats up poo poo lord OSR guys?

It demonstrably does, in the case of Pundit, who has thrown empty tantrums on the subject. He seems to view the idea that new gamers might come in having learned from Critical Role what dnd is as an existential threat.

Which, admittedly, it kind of is for the same reasons the GG and comicsgate crowd find their targets so terrifying. Geek hobbies exploding in popularity means a bigger pool of people to play with/talk to about your chosen interest, which further reduces the necessity of putting up with shitlords for the hobby as a whole.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Zak tried to do his own actual play series on The Escapist (years before Critical Role was a thing) and then yanked it for cred points when The Escapist turned out to be lovely when Gamergate broke, so the extent to which Critical Role has taken off whilst his own efforts in the field got stifled early must rankle.

I'd say that Zak continuing to go after Mandy is, as people have pointed out, 90% about exerting power over her. The remaining 10% is about exerting a chilling effect on everyone else and making everyone worry about the promised CONSEQUENCES, whatever form they end up taking. (Note how he goes out of his way now to say that the Consequences aren't necessarily lawsuits, which I read as a way of saying "I'm not going to overtly threaten to stalk or do violence to anyone, but I am not going to overtly take that off the table either". I don't believe that he would, but I think he wants people to believe he might.)

Warthur fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 13, 2020

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
So he is Papa John S with worse hair and a greasier personality then is what you are saying?

Eff that dude and anyone who acts like him. He clearly doesn't get it. Its obvious he thinks the world revolves around him and he is always right and anyone who disagrees with him in the tiniest of ways must be punished. I've had the misfortune to know all too many of these tyrants. Hell my mother was one.

Like if he somehow believes he was the perfect boyfriend and never did anything wrong ever (a possibility in his mind) you would think his actions don't exactly lead anyone else to think he is a saint. Because SAINTS DON'T DO THIS. Saints would move on and at best declare their innocence, drop it, and not bring it up.

Instead he threatens and does legal action against something as irrelevant and pointless as tabletop RPGs. Nobody except maybe him and places like this actually give the tiniest fart if he is in the 5E PHB credits. Most people don't read them or would know and care who is in them anyhow!

This kind of thin skinned crap is what Trump does. And we all know how much of a buttweasel choad he is. (Cept Trump has like sued Bill Maher over butthurt comments and I recall he didn't exactly win against an old pothead who has weekly conniptions about proper adult pastimes and the consumption of milk and sugar. I'll allow Maher's anger at Catholicism though since he grew up in it.)

Can't we let nerd stuff bring us joy? It's ok to like or not like any edition of DnD or whatever. Honestly 2 3rds of the fun of trad games is the social aspects not the game itself. Why does it gotta be some ego stroking nonsense and way for people to Lord it over others? There ain't a whole lotta love in this world to begin with and right now it's even worse.

I'm friggin sick of something I care about getting ruined in ways great and small because of dumb crap and douchebaggery.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
today is a good day to remind everyone that zak s is a pants making GBS threads rapist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lightning Knight posted:

today is a good day to remind everyone that zak s is a pants making GBS threads rapist
It is a day that ends in a 'Y'.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Rufus posted:

So he is Papa John S with worse hair and a greasier personality then is what you are saying?

And also poo poo instead of just bad pizza.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lightning Knight posted:

Honor to you... and your thread

But not Zak, the pants'poo poo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I swear :zak: that Zak S is a rapist who dumped his poop load in a Chick-Fil-A.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

potatocubed posted:

It's about power. Suing Mandy is his way of showing her that she can't get away from him. That she's still under his power. The same with compelling Ettin to post that apology everywhere. He's desperate to be the big man, the one in charge, and forcing people to do what he wants is part of that. Also punishing people for resistance.

This sort of thing is a common tactic in spousal abuse cases, too. Put the abused partner in a position of having to interact with their abuser. Often they'll try to stretch the case out and force face-to-face encounters at trial or in mediation just to get access to their former target's life again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

This sort of thing is a common tactic in spousal abuse cases, too. Put the abused partner in a position of having to interact with their abuser. Often they'll try to stretch the case out and force face-to-face encounters at trial or in mediation just to get access to their former target's life again.

This was what Zak did to Mandy in this case. The reason she had to fundraise again was that he dragged out mediation as long as he could just to go "nah, let's go to trial" and gently caress with her some more.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat late to the party but thank you thread for educating me about rapist and pants shitter Zak S

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
honestly even if all of his defenders are right about the abuse, maybe it'd be easier to believe him if he hadn't rallied his own hate mobs for all of those years

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

honestly even if all of his defenders are right about the abuse, maybe it'd be easier to believe him if he hadn't rallied his own hate mobs for all of those years

He still swears he didn't do that, and the harassment mobs and death threats directed at anyone he happened to have a disagreement with (but most severely at women and trans folks) were a complete coincidence.

He's a loving liar, in addition to being a pants-making GBS threads rapist.

Spooder-Mun
Jun 18, 2004

I've seen a lot of people say, here and in other places, that Zak S is a serial abuser and a rapist who poo poo his pants in a Chik-fil-A at GenCon. I personally cannot confirm or deny whether Zak S is a serial abuser and a rapist who poo poo his pants in a Chik-fil-A at GenCon as I am not that familiar with the matter. It's just that I've seen a lot of people say that Zak S is a serial abuser and a rapist who poo poo his pants in a Chik-fil-A at GenCon.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There was once a man named Zack,

Who once filled his own pants with cack,

His knowledge of law was cursory,

He declared many threats of perjury,

Although it was evident it meant jack.

---

A poo poo, semi-limerick for a poo poo, semi-human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LashLightning posted:

There was once a man named Zack,

Who once filled his own pants with cack,

His knowledge of law was cursory,

He declared many threats of perjury,

Although it was evident it meant jack.

---

A poo poo, semi-limerick for a poo poo, semi-human.

And on that perfect ending, away to the goldmine we go.