Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

Is Wolfenstein Youngblood broken as hell for anyone else? I gave it a shot on Xbox Gamepass and my character constantly continues to walk/run after I stop pressing a key. Sometimes it sends me completely across the room while ignoring any other key presses. It's literally unplayable.

I am sure nobody cares, but it turns out this was due to my aging 3570K processor. It must have been caching my inputs and making my character continue in random directions. I grabbed a Ryzen 7 3700X and a new motherboard over the weekend and the problem is gone. The 3570K had been great for everything else, even newer games than Youngblood, so that was surprising. That processor was a great value over 8 years, so I can't complain. RIP to a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

i watched someone do this part with an invulnerable monster that cant see you but can hear you and you had to distract it by throwing bottles and poo poo. felt extremely survival horror-esque
That's literally the concept of a level in the original Half-life.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i played half life 2 for like an hour. that is the extent of my half life experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZearothK posted:

I bet Valve could hire Morgan Freeman to voice Gordon Freeman if push comes to shove.

[fake edit] Honestly the best way to have Gordon talk to people would be through sign language.

Sign language, as made possible by advancements made in VR to mimic the player's finger movements.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ragequit posted:

I am sure nobody cares, but it turns out this was due to my aging 3570K processor. It must have been caching my inputs and making my character continue in random directions. I grabbed a Ryzen 7 3700X and a new motherboard over the weekend and the problem is gone. The 3570K had been great for everything else, even newer games than Youngblood, so that was surprising. That processor was a great value over 8 years, so I can't complain. RIP to a real one.

I am just starting to run up against it with my i5 4570, asscreed origins is maxing out all my cores and giving me 45 fps. It would be nice to be smooth 60, but it's still gorgeous so I don't really mind.

I'm not quite at replacing the board/cpu/memory in a running system for a bump in performance yet, but I can see it from where i'm standing - probably for cyberpunk, given my av.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Awesome! posted:

i played half life 2 for like an hour. that is the extent of my half life experience.
It's pretty good. There's a co-op mod, so you can play with friends...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Hm. Factorio or Satisfactory?

I played the Factorio demo and was OK. It wanted some gymnastics that I don't feel like would be necessary in a normal map.

I haven't played Satisfactory, just saw a video from KatherineOfSky on YT. :shrug:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Irritated Goat posted:

I played the Factorio demo and was OK. It wanted some gymnastics that I don't feel like would be necessary in a normal map.

I haven't played Satisfactory, just saw a video from KatherineOfSky on YT. :shrug:

If I absolutely had to pick one it would be Factorio, it's more mature, tons of mod support, and lots of room to go crazy with automation, but Satisfactory is still a really good builder game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Irritated Goat posted:

Satisfactory is fun but still has a ways to go, Factorio is the king of these types of games right now but the demo does a pretty poor job of showing what the game is like.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

NO NO NO gently caress :(
https://twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1249794008265756692?s=20

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
2020 blows.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Irritated Goat posted:

Not really comparable despite the belts. Satisfactory is more like a really production focused Minecraft or Subnautica. You're building installations in 3d to supply you with poo poo to go explore for more poo poo to go explore to etc. Etc. A good manufactory happens to look really cool.

Factorio is Factorio. Nothing else like it, research to go launch rockets. A good manufactory looks really cool too but more oooh all the interconnected parts and less Trapper Keeper like Satisfactory.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Irritated Goat posted:

Factorio is incredible. That said, the current demo is kinda rear end and in a few weeks they're going to revert to the old demo, which is several maps that sort of guide you through some basic progression.

What specifically were the bits that annoyed you? Go post in the thread, it's active and seriously Factorio owns and people will convince you to play it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gently caress, I still quote that guy despite not having loaded the game in literal years

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only bad thing about Spider Solitaire is sometimes you'll settle in to play for a while and win your first game. That sucks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

80 years is a pretty nice time I guess but I never realized he was so old. :( RIP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

The only bad thing about Spider Solitaire is sometimes you'll settle in to play for a while and win your first game. That sucks.

Then you think "maybe I can win 2 in a row..." and then you're off to the races

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This came out of no where: https://store.steampowered.com/app/820020/Alders_Blood/
"Alder's Blood is a tactical-strategy with stealth-based combat, RPG elements, crafting, resources gathering and management, exploration and rich storyline. Set in a grim world, where mankind killed their God and is facing extinction."

Anyone play it? I'm deep into Rimworld atm and haven't even touched M&B2 but this looks cool

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
That looks amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Too Shy Guy played it on stream the other night! VOD's here but it *is* a stream archive so there's a lot of chat interaction if that bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avk9r8DHawU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like there's a demo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the opening bits of Alder's Blood, it's really cool. Mega Bloodborne/Darkest Dungeon vibes. The art style isn't really my thing, but it's cool for people who are into it. I'm a little busy with another team based turn based strategy so I'll hold off on it for a while, but I can see people really liking it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Bought Plebby Quest on someone's recommendation here. It feels really polished for a budget game except the translations are maybe a bit grammatically challenged. It might be kind of light in content too? Just 3 scenarios with 4+5 presumably paid DLC? Otherwise, it seems pretty cool, very funny and the music is awesome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Taintrunner posted:

I played the opening bits of Alder's Blood, it's really cool. Mega Bloodborne/Darkest Dungeon vibes. The art style isn't really my thing, but it's cool for people who are into it. I'm a little busy with another team based turn based strategy so I'll hold off on it for a while, but I can see people really liking it.
It really does look like Bloodborne: The SRPG by way of Darkest Dungeon, although I'll have to disagree and say that the art style really goes a long way to selling it, going by the screenshots. I'll be grabbing that demo, certainly.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

FuzzySlippers posted:

This came out of no where: https://store.steampowered.com/app/820020/Alders_Blood/
"Alder's Blood is a tactical-strategy with stealth-based combat, RPG elements, crafting, resources gathering and management, exploration and rich storyline. Set in a grim world, where mankind killed their God and is facing extinction."

Anyone play it? I'm deep into Rimworld atm and haven't even touched M&B2 but this looks cool

I played it, liked it so far but only played a bit beyond the tutorial. The mix of Darkest Dungeon and stealth tactical gameplay is at least a nice novelty.

Steam reviews are not very favorable though saying it has little tactical depth over time and a few game breaking bugs as well as repetitive encounters.

Might be things that are patchable.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Bit of an aside but any thoughts on GPU temps? My GTX 1060 is hitting 80C+ when playing Watch Dogs 2, is it ok to be consistently at 80 or so?

I had to enable custom fan curve because it got way too noisy, It's around 77 with the default but it's annoyingly loud.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I rarely go above 50 or 60 with my 1070 even at full load, so that is unusually hot. The safe temperature maximum for 1060s as per spec is 93 degrees Celsius, so you're really edging the limit there. Check if your fans and heat sinks are clean? If they're dusty, they don't work as well as they're supposed to. Check the airflow in your case as well, maybe you've got a blockage or a broken fan in there somewhere.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I had overheating issues with a stock intel cooler once so I splurged for a $60 air-tower-fan thingie and made sure I had fans all over the case. Neither the CPU nor GPU nor fans have ever gone leafblower mode since, so I'd suspect, MZ, that it's more of an airflow thing rather than performance. Check for dust, case not parked in a corner, etc.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MZ posted:

Bit of an aside but any thoughts on GPU temps? My GTX 1060 is hitting 80C+ when playing Watch Dogs 2, is it ok to be consistently at 80 or so?

I had to enable custom fan curve because it got way too noisy, It's around 77 with the default but it's annoyingly loud.

Can happen, especially when you're already limiting a bad cooler or may have a bad airflow/too much dust in your tower.

That said, 80 is still within thermal limits of the GPU so no need to be overly worried. 94°C is the actual limit.

Also be aware that some engines will push heat on GPUs much more than others.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Sign language, as made possible by advancements made in VR to mimic the player's finger movements.

Valve was already experimenting with that at one point. Possibly for exactly that reason.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MZ posted:

That sounds a bit hot but look up reviews for your specific card model, they should mention how hot or not it gets. Otherwise, it's hard to tell because some cards have different cooling than others. Maybe you can even find some youtube benchmarks that use it for an even better idea but I suggest finding several samples to make up for any custom bits different users might or might not have.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The card is relatively new, part of a whole new PC build that's only around 18 months old. Cleaned it out for dust the other day but there wasn't much in there to begin with.

I might re-paste it as it seems unusually high for a relatively new part.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MZ posted:

The card is relatively new, part of a whole new PC build that's only around 18 months old. Cleaned it out for dust the other day but there wasn't much in there to begin with.

I might re-paste it as it seems unusually high for a relatively new part.
I did some cursory checking on Google and from what I can find, temperatures in the high-70s to low-80s aren't unusual for that particular card, but you should also check what it's like when idling - it shouldn't go far above room temperature if everything is working as it is supposed to.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Low 80s aren't too out of the ordinary for most GPUs these days as long as you don't mind the fan noise. If it's still a concern you can always slap on a frame limiter so that your system doesn't have to work as hard.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Around 40 when idling (room is much lower than that). Found some reviews that said it also ran hot for them and a re-paste got it down to 60-65 under load so seems like a good idea.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Low 80s aren't too out of the ordinary for most GPUs these days as long as you don't mind the fan noise. If it's still a concern you can always slap on a frame limiter so that your system doesn't have to work as hard.

Haha this is already with a frame limit on 58 with the nvidia control panel (and I'm only running it at 1080p), it could be that Watch Dogs 2 hits GPU's particularly hard but the fan noise was unbearable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hm yeah, that does seem a little hot for a game running only at 58fps and 1080p. What temps are you pulling from your CPU?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watch Dogs 2 definitely made my GPU scream when I was playing it, at least as loud as it gets anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MZ posted:

Around 40 when idling (room is much lower than that).
Yeah, there's definitely an issue with waste heat, then. My idle temperature right now is 22 degrees, which is maybe five degrees above room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Hm yeah, that does seem a little hot for a game running only at 58fps and 1080p. What temps are you pulling from your CPU?

CPU certainly isn't an issue, I've got an Arctic Freezer on that and it barely hits 60 even at full load.