Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sanic the hedghorg games are ok but easily the most fun I've ever had involving the franchise was watching Arin Hanson/Egoraptor from Game Grumps lose his god dang mind trying the fish minigame in Sonic Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5J-9XhnCWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if he had paid attention to the tutorial he would've realized that he could just press down on the analog stick to hook froggy and finished all the big missions in like 10 minutes total

also Sonic Adventure is good and I love it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/jph_anderson/status/1249696116125417474?s=19

I love everything about this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sonic Adventure 2 owns completely unironically

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Last Sonic game I played was Sonic & Knuckles on Mega Drive. I live in a world where sonic never disappointed me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pants Donkey posted:

I will never understand why people want a Sonic Adventure 3.
nostalgia

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 owns completely unironically

:emptyquote:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I enjoyed playing Sonic Adventure 1 on release, when I rented it while I had chicken pox and was completely hosed up on meds to stop the itching. The meds were great, but I'm also pretty sure they're what made the game good.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SCheeseman posted:

I enjoyed playing Sonic Adventure 1 on release, when I rented it while I had chicken pox and was completely hosed up on meds to stop the itching. The meds were great, but I'm also pretty sure they're what made the game good.

Ironically I had chicken pox when playing Everquest 2 and I'm pretty sure that's the reason I hated the game so much and all my memories of it are miserable.

That and money had weight and vendors didn't make change so you sold a merchant like 100 crafted rings for 60 coppers each and you were now carrying 6000 copper coins which gave you a massive penalty to movement speed while you slowly made your way to the bank to exchange them for silver and gold coins.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Maybe you should have been hosed up on drugs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pants Donkey posted:

it's because sonic adventure 2's ending suggested that the characters might grow and change in meaningful ways, including Eggman becoming a better person, and after Heroes/Shadow's Game even that vague suggestion was totally annihilated.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Augus posted:

if he had paid attention to the tutorial he would've realized that he could just press down on the analog stick to hook froggy and finished all the big missions in like 10 minutes total

also Sonic Adventure is good and I love it

That LP got soured for me a little thanks to another reason that came out as well, he purposefully seeked out the actual shittiest port of the game to rag on it for being buggy, without telling Dan that or making it a deliberate thing to point out "Hey the reason we're getting literally all of the hosed up issues is because I went out of my way to get the most broken version of the game for yucks" and instead just acted like it's normal to get all of that, when he was also doing things to force some of it out. That kind of thing just sits kind of wrong with me I guess, I'm not even a big Sanic fan or anything either, just misrepresenting an alright game sucks.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pants Donkey posted:

We did get a Sonic Adventure 3.

Unfortunately, SA3 was, in actuality, Sonic '06.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

We did get a Sonic Adventure 3.

Unfortunately, SA3 was, in actuality, Sonic '06.

wrong, 06 did not have chao gardens, which was the actual biggest problem with it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wrong, 06 did not have chao gardens, which was the actual biggest problem with it

Fair enough.

Yardbomb posted:

That LP got soured for me a little thanks to another reason that came out as well, he purposefully seeked out the actual shittiest port of the game to rag on it for being buggy, without telling Dan that or making it a deliberate thing to point out "Hey the reason we're getting literally all of the hosed up issues is because I went out of my way to get the most broken version of the game for yucks" and instead just acted like it's normal to get all of that, when he was also doing things to force some of it out. That kind of thing just sits kind of wrong with me I guess, I'm not even a big Sanic fan or anything either, just misrepresenting an alright game sucks.

Which version was it?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Max Wilco posted:

Which version was it?

According to a Game Grumps wiki, it's Sonic Adventure DX on Gamecube.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

all i know about sonce a hedgehog is that this song is a complete and total banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sB8N44eBE

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

According to a Game Grumps wiki, it's Sonic Adventure DX on Gamecube.

That wiki is wrong then because it was the pc version which is by far the most buggy, the GameCube one is the most stable.

Edit: I swear there is apart where they dip into the chao garden and it has the pc prompts.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 14, 2020

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Joseph Anderson is good now

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Katt posted:

Ironically I had chicken pox when playing Everquest 2 and I'm pretty sure that's the reason I hated the game so much and all my memories of it are miserable.

That and money had weight and vendors didn't make change so you sold a merchant like 100 crafted rings for 60 coppers each and you were now carrying 6000 copper coins which gave you a massive penalty to movement speed while you slowly made your way to the bank to exchange them for silver and gold coins.

Can't imagine why WoW did so much better than it. :iiam:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Rick May, the VA for the soldier from tf2, died from covid

You were good son, real good. Maybe even the best.

:smith:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 14, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Max Wilco posted:

I was vaguely interested in Star Trek: Picard. Then I read this (from someone's Tumblr), which killed what little interest I had pretty quickly.
all of this is very accurate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's just one element but the Romulans being a dying race makes sense given the events of JJTrek.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spark That Bled posted:

Uh, why? What is missing from those games that Mania and Generations have?

Mania is its own thing and kinda irrelevant to this

Generations, meanwhile... well, it's kind of the other way around, it's a matter of Generations not having something that the other 3D Sonics have: massive, massive jank

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes, Shadow, and (obviously) 06 are all just absurdly loving buggy games that will poo poo themselves at a moment's notice; even though the first two Adventures are pretty well-designed, they're not the most playable nowadays simply because they're so, so goddamn janky and poorly coded. Generations, meanwhile, runs like a dream and doesn't have any weird collision/movement bugs.

e: from what I understand Unleashed and Forces both use basically the same tech as Generations and are similarly not janky, but Unleashed isn't available on modern consoles or PC (Generations mod aside) and has the werehog, and Forces has bad design problems that end up counteracting its relative lack of jank

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbh I care more about the complaints about the show mishandling the characters than complaints about the politics of the show.

Star Trek hasn't been about a perfect utopian federation since Rodenberry left TNG and all the best stuff is pretty explicitly analogous to real life politics and social issues. It doesn't sound like it was handled well at all but I resent the idea that Star Trek shouldn't deal with contemporary politics.

I'll still probably never bother watching Picard though it looks grim and exhausting.

Edit: as for Sonic I have a smidge of nostalgia fo the Adventure games, but after getting the exact Sonic game my 90s kid self wanted in Mania I feel like it'd be churlish of me to tell all the 2000s kids who loved those games that they don't deserve a fun revival game of their own. I feel like they're currently missing the key ingredient of a community of superfans compiling their own custom adventure engines and fan games to eventually get hired by sega tho.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the best trek absolutely deals with contemporary politics, but it does so by framing contemporary issues as things happening to other aliens or referencing things in humanity's past that they have outgrown. picard and discovery don't do either, they just posit that in the far distant future humanity is essentially unchanged by extinction events, alien contact, and a completely unrecognisable economy and is still just lovely backstabbing humans solving issues with a fist while simultaneously uniting and leading a huge number of alien races in an altruistic alliance of peace and cooperation.

picard walks up to a bar and throws its segregation sign on the ground to demonstrate that fear of the other is wrong. except because the bar is explicitly for what's presented as a minority what he's really demonstrating is his assumed privilege of entering any space he wants to. the clientele want him to leave their safe space and in response they are murdered. time to beam out. politics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A big flaming stink posted:

Rick May, the VA for the soldier from tf2, died from covid

You were good son, real good. Maybe even the best.

:smith:

He'd been retired for a long time, though, right? I know he had throat cancer and couldn't do the voice for the Expiration Date video.

Still loving sucks.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's just one element but the Romulans being a dying race makes sense given the events of JJTrek.

That's about the one thing I like from the JJTrek stuff, but Abrams is responsible for the modern shift in Trek, so I kind of hate what he did to the franchise. The classic stuff is still there, but we're probably not going to see any deviations from sci-fi action in the new stuff anytime soon.

Abrams managed to taint two of the biggest sci-fi franchises in America. That's hard to do! Most people don't get to do that to one!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I love it when people do mailbag videos and get something completely bonkers and don't know how to react. max is one of the biggest FF7 marks ever and someone made a custom lenticular poster of aerith/cloud/tifa from a really good artist and sent it to him :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbox96S5aGc&hd=1&t=472s

man I want that poster, I'd frame that thing in a heartbeat.

edit: why the gently caress is that cloud + motorcycle the size of a small dog, I thought it would be, like, a figma-scale thing or something. jesus.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 14, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He'd been retired for a long time, though, right? I know he had throat cancer and couldn't do the voice for the Expiration Date video.

Still loving sucks.
One of his friends said he was still doing work on a Sherlock radio play this past December. So maybe semi-retired.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ghostlight posted:

the best trek absolutely deals with contemporary politics, but it does so by framing contemporary issues as things happening to other aliens or referencing things in humanity's past that they have outgrown. picard and discovery don't do either, they just posit that in the far distant future humanity is essentially unchanged by extinction events, alien contact, and a completely unrecognisable economy and is still just lovely backstabbing humans solving issues with a fist while simultaneously uniting and leading a huge number of alien races in an altruistic alliance of peace and cooperation.

picard walks up to a bar and throws its segregation sign on the ground to demonstrate that fear of the other is wrong. except because the bar is explicitly for what's presented as a minority what he's really demonstrating is his assumed privilege of entering any space he wants to. the clientele want him to leave their safe space and in response they are murdered. time to beam out. politics.
Given our current circumstances I feel like now is absolutely the right time for a Star Trek story that show how easy it is for the enlightened federation to fall back into reactionary politics. Once again not defending the show at all the problem isn't "this isn't what Trek should be" its "this is poo poo".

Edit: also that bar scene is just bizare given that Picard is on a planet of refugees that for some reason blame him entirely for not helping them even though he was the only person in the federation that did? Also remember how Picard was a celebrated diplomat in the show and here he is storming into a bar full of people who specifically hate him for no reason. Its really something that they stopped thinking about the implications of that beyond "segregation is bad, picard wouldn't like segregation to happen near him"

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 14, 2020

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I mean if you factor in the effects Lost has had on the way TV shows as a whole tell stories there is an argument to be made that no one has a bigger effect on the way people make media than JJ Abrams, and it loving sucks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the grandma one i could see being real as like a weird joke, but after the others i knew it was all fake.

Mr Phillby posted:

Tbh I care more about the complaints about the show mishandling the characters than complaints about the politics of the show.

Star Trek hasn't been about a perfect utopian federation since Rodenberry left TNG and all the best stuff is pretty explicitly analogous to real life politics and social issues. It doesn't sound like it was handled well at all but I resent the idea that Star Trek shouldn't deal with contemporary politics.

I'll still probably never bother watching Picard though it looks grim and exhausting.

i have always liked the federation being a "utopia" but more of a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas type than some perfect society deal. the thing was TNG/DS9 do that better because sure its still a utopian society, but it also interacts with other societies and does unsavory poo poo to keep itself a utopia and the characters grapple with that and try to find better ways working within and out of the system. in the new stuff its just gritty and on the nose analogies. like sure that existed but ehh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

Like I said, a lot of that is either stuff that Mass Effect took from Star Trek in the first place (no insult intended to ME there, it made good use of what it took) or is so common to the genre that you can’t say it’s ripping off any one source.

Hahah, nooooo; There's a difference between drawing from other sources and ripping off something verbatim and hoping nobody notices.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have always liked the federation being a "utopia" but more of a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas type than some perfect society deal. the thing was TNG/DS9 do that better because sure its still a utopian society, but it also interacts with other societies and does unsavory poo poo to keep itself a utopia and the characters grapple with that and try to find better ways working within and out of the system. in the new stuff its just gritty and on the nose analogies. like sure that existed but ehh.

One thing that I always think of whenever talk of the new Star Treks (nuTrek?) pops up is when they were first talking about the Klingons being in the series, and it was said that the Klingons were going to be a stand-in for Trump supporters. I think that was the first sign things were going to be bad.

To compare, in the original series, the Klingons were meant to be a stand-in for the Soviet Union, and in TNG, it was shown that the Klingons had allied with the Federation (which may or may not have been an allusion to the collapse of the Soviet Union, seeing as TNG premiered in '89, but the SU didn't fall until '91). I feel like if you were going to translate that to contemporary politics, you'd have the Klingons be parallel to modern day Russia, where the government is engaged with shady actions, but the general people and adjacent countries (*cough*Ukraine*cough*) suffer under their rule.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

One thing that I always think of whenever talk of the new Star Treks (nuTrek?) pops up is when they were first talking about the Klingons being in the series, and it was said that the Klingons were going to be a stand-in for Trump supporters. I think that was the first sign things were going to be bad.

To compare, in the original series, the Klingons were meant to be a stand-in for the Soviet Union, and in TNG, it was shown that the Klingons had allied with the Federation (which may or may not have been an allusion to the collapse of the Soviet Union, seeing as TNG premiered in '89, but the SU didn't fall until '91). I feel like if you were going to translate that to contemporary politics, you'd have the Klingons be parallel to modern day Russia, where the government is engaged with shady actions, but the general people and adjacent countries (*cough*Ukraine*cough*) suffer under their rule.

yeah. i like good star trek because its all about cultures melding/clashing/figuring stuff out and how to get on. sure some have obvious contemporary equivalents but i like when they are blends. every side has a history with other sides and prejudices. trying to make "blank= trimp" or whatever is loving dumb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Once again not defending the show at all the problem isn't "this isn't what Trek should be" its "this is poo poo".
that is its major sin. it doesn't really matter how much star trek lore it throws out because "real star trek" has revised its own lore multiple times to fit a changing audience. its just paint by numbers sci-fi action where the stakes have never been higher, nothing is off the table, and everything exists as set pieces. it only has an audience because it looks nice and has a known brand, and it only looks nice because its known brand made a studio feel comfortable putting money into it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sonic unleashed was an intolerably boring game with some good fast parts sprinkled in. the best two 3d sonic games are also like, reasonably well regarded but not critical darlings or anything. sonic mania hit because people who weren't moved by colors or generations (or gave up on sonic after 06) got the thing they'd (including christian whitehead) been asking sega for: let someone who gives a poo poo make a sonic-rear end sonic game. no dumb gimmicks, no attempts to shoehorn a different genre in, no jank, just... a well-made sonic game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I have never watched star trek but I get why people might resent it being made into generic sci fi action even if the generic sci fi action is good, which by any account it isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sleepwalkers posted:

sonic unleashed was an intolerably boring game with some good fast parts sprinkled in. the best two 3d sonic games are also like, reasonably well regarded but not critical darlings or anything. sonic mania hit because people who weren't moved by colors or generations (or gave up on sonic after 06) got the thing they'd (including christian whitehead) been asking sega for: let someone who gives a poo poo make a sonic-rear end sonic game. no dumb gimmicks, no attempts to shoehorn a different genre in, no jank, just... a well-made sonic game.

the reason generations worked so well imo was for the same reasons you listed here regarding mania, and also that it felt like the most obvious evolution of 2d -> 3d sonic the hedgehog. like what they should have been all along, complete with the 'no gimmicks' poo poo. it was definitely far from perfect; the boss fights were all real bad, the final boss was just absolutely incomprehensible, and planet wisp was a fuckin endurance test in all the worst ways, but let's be real, it isn't like the classic games didn't have problems as well.

the most surprising part of generations to me was that i ended up liking the 3d sections more than the 2d sections. but, the 3d in that game, for the most part, played like 2d sonic. it nailed that feel far better than any other 3d sonic ever did.

on the other end of the spectrum, there's sonic 4, which is a game seemingly nobody talks about, which is surprising to me because i was pretty stoked for that game right up until i played it and saw how goddamn awful it was. the best(?) part of sonic 4 was how episode 2 actually fixed some of the most glaring flaws of episode 1, while introducing totally new, and even worse, problems. as far as i'm concerned, sonic 4 is not all that far behind boom and 06 in terms of absolute bottom-tier sonic. i can still at least sorta understand why someone would like, say, heroes, and hell i like adventure 1 despite thinking it's poo poo, but i cannot point to one single aspect of sonic 4 and think to myself 'well i can see why someone could like that'. it is just sheer fuckin misery and honestly i hate it even more than boom and 06 because at least those games' incompetence provided their own kind of entertainment.