Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Happy Hippo posted:

And while they're at it maybe they could give the 4k treatment to any PT Anderson movie at all really

The only one I want is The Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I'm waiting for Out of the Blue to get a blu-ray release one day. NZ cinema is really poo poo at getting their classics onto blu-ray (e.g., 4 out of the 5 NZ films with an Arrow release aren't available in NZ on physical media).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Hippo posted:

And while they're at it maybe they could give the 4k treatment to any PT Anderson movie at all really

The Phantom Thread is available in 4K.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If I do the Archives sale (I'm still not decided because I really shouldn't spend the money) These are my tentative picks:

The Green Slime
V
Cleopatra Jones
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

But there are too many to choose from and off the top of my head I was considering:
The Hunger
Body Snatchers
The Hidden
The Brave and the Bold : season 3 (which apparently counts even though the rest don't.)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Which I have not seen but really would like to. I'm hesitant to waste a slot on something.)
The Man with Two Brains

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I ended up getting

Popeye Vols. 1 - 3
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Thin Man
The Long Sleep
The Man with Two Brains
Brewster McCloud

I've been eyeing The Hudsucker Proxy for a while, it's one of my favorite Coen movies even if it is definitely lesser work.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Filming has been postponed though, since New Zealand is currently is nation-wide lockdown for at least another couple of weeks, and Auckland will probably remain in extended region-wide self-isolation after that.

Can NZ do us a solid and extend that lockdown indefinitely

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cloks posted:

The Phantom Thread is available in 4K.

Holy poo poo, not only are you correct but that's the one I own

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Bruce Lee set coming to Criterion in July. Includes all 5 of his films (Big Boss, Fists of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, and Game of Death). Seven discs of content. Shout had a similar box set about 2 years ago that didn’t stay in print for long and didn’t have Enter the Dragon. Looks like different special features amongst the two sets too, so it might be worth owning both if you love Bruce Lee.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Very intrigued by the "Game of Death Redux" part of the set. I know others over the years have worked to craft something closer to Lee's original vision for the film, but it would be great to have a new definitive take on the material he shot. As far as I know, what's available currently is in a pretty sorry state. Looks like the guy who is in charge of it has the right head on his shoulders.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Hey goons, my roommate is moving out at the end of the month and I'll be without a blu-ray player. Is there a good cheap-ish (like say ~$150 give or take) region-free blu-ray player that you guys would recommend?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

Hey goons, my roommate is moving out at the end of the month and I'll be without a blu-ray player. Is there a good cheap-ish (like say ~$150 give or take) region-free blu-ray player that you guys would recommend?

I got mine off of 220 Electronics and have been very happy with it and their service.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I got mine off of 220 Electronics and have been very happy with it and their service.

Did u get a 4k one btw?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Did u get a 4k one btw?

Yes I did!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nice how much did it run?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Nice how much did it run?

Got it for $250 on sale.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Franchescanado posted:

I bought a region-free DVD player from them almost 20 years ago and it's still going strong. I'm glad to see they're still around.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

well now... just gunna save that for when I can get a 4K regionless. $160 ain't bad either, think I spent $120 on mine originally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has there been any word on if the 4k players inside PS5/Xboxxxx will be region free? It's frustrating that video games went completely region free generation but the movie players are still locked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Has there been any word on if the 4k players inside PS5/Xboxxxx will be region free? It's frustrating that video games went completely region free generation but the movie players are still locked.

All 4k discs are region free. DVDs and Blu-Rays will probably still be locked on them.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks so much! Just ordered one. Also if anybody else is in a similar boat, they currently have coupon listed on their front page for 7% off blu-ray players.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm the fool that bought one last 3d bluray to finish my collection. I hope the Rise of Skywalker's 3d effects are worth it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber has refreshed their "While Supplies Last" sale:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/whilesupplieslast2020?fbclid=IwAR0UgUgfb6wBD4HxuARExH-uclpkihoTZxAL2ucthT3zJozMQAL68eBtWJ8

Basically, they're titles they losing the rights to or won't be doing a second printing.

Highlights:
Across 110th Street
Becky Sharp (very first 3-strip Technicolor feature, new 4K restoration)
Beggars of Life (William Wellman silent with Louise Brooks)
Billion Dollar Brain (Ken Russell)
Bloody Mama (Roger Corman/Shelley Winters)
Buffalo Bill and the Indians (Robert Altman/Paul Newman)
Cease Fire (3-D war movie shot in Korea)
The Children’s Hour (William Wyler)
Cotton Comes to Harlem
The Covered Wagon (1923 western, quite fun!)
Daredevils of the Red Circle (fun Republic serial)
Hickey & Boggs
It’s the Old Army Game (W.C. Fields silent with Louise Brooks)
Jivaro (fun 3-D adventure film)
Juggernaut (Richard Lester)
Manhandled (Gloria Swanson silent)
Old Ironside (fun silent directed by James Cruze and uncreated, Dorothy Arzner)
The Pied Piper (Jacques Demy)
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder)
Running Wild (fun W.C. Fields silent by Gregory LaCava)
Sangaree (fun 3-D drama)
The Sheik (Rudolph Valentino silent)
Stage Struck (fun Gloria Swanson silent comedy with Technicolor scenes)
Thieves Like Us (Robert Altman)
Those Redheads From Seattle (3-D musical)
Thunderbirds Are GO/Thunderbird 6 double feature
Topkapi (Jules Dassin)
Trigger, Jr. (fun Trucolor Roy Rogers western)
The Unforgiven (John Huston)
What’s New, Pussycat?
You Never Know Women (William Wellman silent comedy)
Zaza (Gloria Swanson comedy silent)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 17, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/whilesupplieslast2020?fbclid=IwAR0UgUgfb6wBD4HxuARExH-uclpkihoTZxAL2ucthT3zJozMQAL68eBtWJ8

Basically, they're titles they losing the rights to or won't be doing a second printing.

Highlights:
Across 110th Street

Across 110th Street
Cotton Comes to Harlem
Hickey & Boggs
Sangaree (fun 3-D drama)
Topkapi (Jules Dassin)
What’s New, Pussycat?

Two I noticed that you didn't mention.

Married To the Mob (Jonathan Demme)
Grizzly (Limited Edition)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
ZPG might be worth it just as a curiosity. It was on the Criterion Channel recently and it's not great but the set design is interesting and it's a good look at what people thought the future would be during the Cold War.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

ZPG might be worth it just as a curiosity. It was on the Criterion Channel recently and it's not great but the set design is interesting and it's a good look at what people thought the future would be during the Cold War.

I liked how they had those wide white panel lines like in Star Wars.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Highlights:
Across 110th Street

Across 110th Street
Cotton Comes to Harlem
Hickey & Boggs
Sangaree (fun 3-D drama)
Topkapi (Jules Dassin)
What’s New, Pussycat?

It's interesting that you should mention Cotton Comes to Harlem as it happens to be movie of the month. Now would be a great time to go to that thread and watch the movie for free on archive.org.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
88 Films are releasing Mystery Men in May hell yeah

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

88 Films has been absolutely crushing it with their Jackie Chan releases. I have them all aside from Battle Creek Brawl (still waiting for my copy to arrive), and every release has been top notch. Picture quality is perfect, multiple cuts of the films, so many good extras. And not to get all Blu-ray.com about slipcovers, but they look gorgeous and feel awesome. For a Jackie Chan fan like me, these are truly dream releases. Plus they just announced Armour of God II.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/pre-orders/products/operation-condor-armour-of-god-ii?variant=31421638049834

They also have done a pretty good job with the Shaw Brothers titles they've been putting out. Come Drink with Me looks so much better than the old Dragon Dynasty DVD I had. I highly recommend them if you're a fan of these types of movies. Most are region B, so you have to have a gimmicked player if you live in the US like me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

daaaaamn, another reason to invest in a region-less player.

Just ordered Married to the Mob and The Man Who Could Cheat Death. Never seen either, but I like Demme and Christopher Lee so this will be a surprise.

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 17, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apparently there was a Kickstarter for a BD of Dark and Stormy Night and I missed it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rise of Skywalker 4K - Movies Anywhere: 47DJNUGPM4G

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Rise of Skywalker 4K - Movies Anywhere: 47DJNUGPM4G

Redeemed, thanks a lot!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm having a super annoying problem. I have a Sony region free Blu-ray player that I use all the time, and I finally just bought a Sony UHD player so I can watch 4K discs. When I use the UHD remote, or the Blu-ray remote, both players turn on, etc. Is there a way to stop this, or am I going to just have to deal with it? I still have my Sony DVD player connected to my receiver, it doesn't do this, only the Blu-ray and UHD players. Is there a way to adjust this? I hate it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm having a super annoying problem. I have a Sony region free Blu-ray player that I use all the time, and I finally just bought a Sony UHD player so I can watch 4K discs. When I use the UHD remote, or the Blu-ray remote, both players turn on, etc. Is there a way to stop this, or am I going to just have to deal with it? I still have my Sony DVD player connected to my receiver, it doesn't do this, only the Blu-ray and UHD players. Is there a way to adjust this? I hate it.

That would depend on being able to change the power on code for either player which I doubt is a feature. Perhaps you can try that HDMI control thing and have the TV turn on the relevant player when the input is selected? I have never ever gotten that to work for anything but maybe you’ll be lucky :shrug:

david_a fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 19, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

I had the same problem since the remote was identical. My solution was to tape a piece of index card over the infrared sensor, though the player died a few months later anyways and I replaced it with a Samsung.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

That would depend on being able to change the power on code for either player which I doubt is a feature. Perhaps you can try that HDMI control thing and have the TV turn on the relevant player when the input is selected? I have never ever gotten that to work for anything but maybe you’ll be lucky :shrug:

I had this issue for years. First time, out of the box, my current setup works like this for every single device including my bluetooth headphones and phone with no additional setup. it is heavenly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Paramount has launched a new "Paramount Presents" line of Blu-rays. New 4K remasters with collectable packaging (foldout slipcase + Criterion Scanavo), plus some with new extras.

The release schedule so far:

April 21:
Fatal Attraction
To Catch a Thief
King Creole (new to Blu)

May 19:
Flashdance
Days of Thunder (also getting a UHD)

June 16:
Pretty in Pink (new to Blu)

June 30:
Airplane!

TBA:
Ghost
The Golden Child

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Disney 4K Steelbooks on sale at BestBuy.com

Toy Story’s as low as $7.99!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Disney 4K Steelbooks on sale at BestBuy.com

Toy Story’s as low as $7.99!

Wow.

I'll take this moment to plug the remake of Cinderella. It's a flat-out gorgeous film and I think the only one of the Disney remakes that's actually worthwhile. Shot on 35mm anamorphic, so even if it's a 2K DI upscale, I'd imagine the 4K looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
airplane 4k remaster is very tempting

wondering what the chances are of a UHD version?

e: also officially giving up hope of milestone releasing yo soy cuba on BR at this point outside of that $200+ educational copy

what a total waste of a beautiful scan, so disappointing...why sit on this for going on 3 years now..the print has screened twice in NYC (one being sold out at tribeca) it's not like there's options to view it!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2020