Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Crosspost from restaurant industry thread

I was literally stunned whilst reading that. What an rear end in a top hat.

and kudos for you for going after his job: that's not the kind of thing anyone should let slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
They arrested someone for doing that same joke on a Wegmans employee yesterday here.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-man-who-coughed-wegmans-worker-to-face-charges-of-terroristic-threats-governor-says

Terroristic threats. Dude is lucky if you only ask for his job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the plus side, when this is all over we’ll have a wonderful list of people who deserve complete social ostracism for the rest of their miserable lives.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Unfuckingbelieveable.

How did the end of that play out, Sandwich? Did he finish the job, or did you get security to haul his rear end out, or...? Because as you said, fucker may as well have announced he had a bomb in his toolbox, pulling that poo poo in an airport of all places.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
An asshat here just got 10 weeks in prison for coughing on people and claiming to have COVID. Losing a job like so many innocents is getting let off easy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

;_____;

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crosspost from restaurant industry thread

shoot that guy in the loving face and see how well Jesus protects him. its a test of faith, he should embrace it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm generally against beating the poo poo out of people but I would beat the poo poo out of that guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They can probably throw the book at him, it’s happening in other places when people think they’re playing funy joek.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yup, there are cases all across the country. I think NYC is pursuing charges against someone who just licked a subway pole? but basically every time someone does this in a grocery store they get slapped with a felony, companies are not playing around.

PS much love & resilience to you SA. when this is all over let's you and i share hot grape recipes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yup, there are cases all across the country. I think NYC is pursuing charges against someone who just licked a subway pole? but basically every time someone does this in a grocery store they get slapped with a felony, companies are not playing around.

PS much love & resilience to you SA. when this is all over let's you and i share hot grape recipes.

You can't have my hot grape recipe

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Great thread. I hope never to venture into the hellsmouth that is Orlando again, but if I do, I'll hit up your spot.

Couple questions:

I see you do a lot of contemporary southern upscale stuff. Do you do any Gullah-influenced dishes? There are a couple spots around me that do that kinda thing here in NC, and it's my favorite. Where do you see contemporary southern cuisine going? Your menu suggests you're riding the crest. Where is it going next?

Thoughts on okra? I can't stand it unless I grew it myself. Grocery store okra is gross.

Are there any dishes that you put on the menu that were amazing, but bombed?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Great thread. I hope never to venture into the hellsmouth that is Orlando again, but if I do, I'll hit up your spot.

Couple questions:

I see you do a lot of contemporary southern upscale stuff. Do you do any Gullah-influenced dishes? There are a couple spots around me that do that kinda thing here in NC, and it's my favorite. Where do you see contemporary southern cuisine going? Your menu suggests you're riding the crest. Where is it going next?

Almost anything from the Carolinas is heavily Gullah cuisine based. Greens and grits are staples, and we have done dishes with rice (or spins) before as well. Contemporary Southern food is a trail being blazed by the likes of Husk and McCrady's, and if anything we are riding in their wake.

quote:

Thoughts on okra? I can't stand it unless I grew it myself. Grocery store okra is gross.

I'm personally not a huge fan of it, but do have an appreciation for it. It's tricky to use it correctly; it's always fried, and I refuse to do something so common and boring with it. We did run a side with it once, where we blistered and charred whole okra in a pan. and tossed it into a spicy tomato sauce. It was alright, but I got tired of it.

quote:

Are there any dishes that you put on the menu that were amazing, but bombed?

A few, yeah. We were doing some excellent pork spare ribs, and nobody went for them, likely because of how messy they were. People don't ever go for pasta here, I assume for similar reasons, which is frustrating because we've put out some really great pasta dishes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm personally not a huge fan of it, but do have an appreciation for it. It's tricky to use it correctly; it's always fried, and I refuse to do something so common and boring with it. We did run a side with it once, where we blistered and charred whole okra in a pan. and tossed it into a spicy tomato sauce. It was alright, but I got tired of it.
One of the best dishes I've had was from a lunch counter in New Orleans. The daily special was fresh gulf shrimp and stewed okra with peppers and tomatoes over rice. I agree with you about fried and charred okra, though. I grow my own, and was curious about your thoughts.

What's your favorite dish that you can share a recipe for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a fuckin $10 “grilled cheese” at LAX.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:nyd:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MarcusSA posted:

this isnt the fyre festival thread

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Alabama native hoping you're open and rolling for AGDQ this coming January; all my best to you. I want that hot chicken.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You snagged a ticket out of BHM that’s cheaper than driving to Orlando? Tell me your secrets.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

You snagged a ticket out of BHM that’s cheaper than driving to Orlando? Tell me your secrets.

The world is currently dying in a plague and flights are cheap

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also tickets to Orlando are ridiculously cheap anytime it's off peak and lol this is definitely off peak with all of the entertainment closed.

Last time I visited round trip + shuttle to the hotel was 20% cheaper than driving and I was home to hotel room in like four hours tops. One of the benefits of living near a major hub.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MarcusSA posted:

You can normally get good food at LAX but since all the banks are closed and people can't get the loans required to buy decent food at LAX they've mostly shut down.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great thread OP, hope you can reopen soon! That food looks excellent

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Sandwich, apologies if this is a sore subject, but if you could design a Fantasy Menu with no restrictions on price or feasibility, what's the wildest stuff you'd serve?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Sandwich, apologies if this is a sore subject, but if you could design a Fantasy Menu with no restrictions on price or feasibility, what's the wildest stuff you'd serve?

Fun question. I'll work on that today, probably do a dummy page on the site for it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Discuss fantasy menu like Harry Potter designs too, thx.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Ooh, how about one like the old British Restaurants they had in WWII? How would you design a menu(s) if it had to be as cheap as possible, but meet everyone's nutritional requirements and be interesting and varied enough to keep people from freaking out?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Ooh, how about one like the old British Restaurants they had in WWII? How would you design a menu(s) if it had to be as cheap as possible, but meet everyone's nutritional requirements and be interesting and varied enough to keep people from freaking out?

That sounds loving horrible lol. I'm going to do the fun one instead

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

As a mother with kids who cooks most meals at home, this is my daily task. First I choose a carb (rice/potatoes/pasta/bread) and then plan around that. Most people don't mind a repetitive lunch if they are expecting a more interesting dinner.

But mostly god bless govt mandated school lunch :japan:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.domodaruma.com/blog/japanese-school-lunches-34-day-menu%3fformat=amp 

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rockopolis posted:

I think they often skipped the interesting/varied part. I read a book about a US officer arriving in 1944 and his two options at a British restaurant were stewed tomatoes or boiled cod. He ate on base after that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That sounds loving horrible lol. I'm going to do the fun one instead

Or, for funsies, given an WWII UK weekly ration what would be the most balls out insane meal you could make for a single night's dinner, the following 6 days having to be spent eating potatoes and carrots every day because you don't get to shop for more once the ration book is marked.

Here's a great episode of a BBC show where 2 hosts eat and live like a certain era, in this case the wartime diet and habits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE0VP0EZ0M

This seems like a standard ration list but there were small adjustments made on case by case basis, vegatarians got more cheese and eggs, pregnant women would get more etc.

quote:

Bacon & Ham 4 oz
Other meat value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
Butter 2 oz
Cheese 2 oz
Margarine 4 oz
Cooking fat 4 oz
Milk 3 pints
Sugar 8 oz
Preserves 1 lb every 2 months
Tea 2 oz
Eggs 1 fresh egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
Sweets 12 oz every 4 weeks

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 13, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons did a series where he spent a week living on British homefront rations, in addition to talking about aspects of it like the "mock X" recipes, restaurants, and the black market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

British rationing actually improved the overall health and caloric intake of the nation at large by ensuring that everyone had access to essentials, without the ability to hoard. It was up to you to try and find herbs and spices to improve the flavor and make it less bland, but it was a very healthy diet that people tried their best to make work.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

chitoryu12 posted:

Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons did a series where he spent a week living on British homefront rations, in addition to talking about aspects of it like the "mock X" recipes, restaurants, and the black market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

British rationing actually improved the overall health and caloric intake of the nation at large by ensuring that everyone had access to essentials, without the ability to hoard. It was up to you to try and find herbs and spices to improve the flavor and make it less bland, but it was a very healthy diet that people tried their best to make work.

Was wondering when you were gonna show up to this odd derail. :)

If people like discussing historical cooking, chitoryu's got a bitchin' thread over in GWS, come join the party! Lots of fun videos to watch while quarantined, trivia tidbits, and if you're lucky enough to score yellow onions (my Kroger STILL doesn't have any) you will become a fan of the baked onion in short measure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849384

To get vaguely back on track: Sandwich, did you ever hear any follow-up on that "haha it's a joke" fuckbag who coughed all over your store, claiming he had the virus?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

To get vaguely back on track: Sandwich, did you ever hear any follow-up on that "haha it's a joke" fuckbag who coughed all over your store, claiming he had the virus?

Nope, and probably won't. He isn't coming back is all I know.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nope, and probably won't. He isn't coming back is all I know.

In all likelihood unless he was the bosses son or someone actually essential they probably fired him with cause to save on having to pay out sick hours, furlough, or cut their payroll to make space for the techs not freaking out their dwindling customer base.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pentyne posted:

In all likelihood unless he was the bosses son or someone actually essential they probably fired him with cause to save on having to pay out sick hours, furlough, or cut their payroll to make space for the techs not freaking out their dwindling customer base.

He should have been fired for cause regardless of the circumstances of the business. As was said, I probably would have reported the guy to the police - other folks are going to jail for doing this poo poo at grocery stores.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just binge-read this thread instead of writing my annual review. Thanks, OP! How are things going now for you and your team? Any sign of the restaurant reopening as the United States looks to reopen slowly?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

the_chavi posted:

Just binge-read this thread instead of writing my annual review. Thanks, OP! How are things going now for you and your team? Any sign of the restaurant reopening as the United States looks to reopen slowly?

The entire staff has been laid off, none of us are receiving unemployment because of the broken system in our state, and we have no sign or news of the restaurant reopening. We rely on the 2 hardest hit industries in the world recovering before we can reopen.

We're all basically entirely and completely hosed and there is nothing we can do about it!

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That really sucks to hear OP. What are you doing in the mean time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

That really sucks to hear OP. What are you doing in the mean time?

Watching my savings evaporate and going insane locked in my house with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, and trying not to fall into alcoholic depression over the future of my career and family.

You?