Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Black Monday is up there with No Activity as far as "recent comedies that are so good why isn't anybody watching them?"

Tried watching it recently, I found it terrible. Plenty of jokes flying but not one hit. Maybe you need to watch a few eps to connect with the characters first? But its paced like a zany sitcom.

E: talking about Black Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I saw that both Black Monday and Billions (which starts in May) are getting half seasons due to production shut downs. The second half will be finished some time later.

I also read the new mini-series based on The Stand completed post production in early March. Do you think they are going to delay The Stand due to the subject matter? Or is this a perfect time to release it in 2020?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The are going to have to delay it, there's just no way they should release it this year. It's not really the time to release a miniseries about a pandemic when we're digging mass graves and storing bodies in refrigerated trucks.

We also don't need anything to fan the imaginations of crazies that already think this was a bioweapon gone wrong.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If anything they will throw in a couple reshoots and ADR to refer to specific things to make it even more about this, and be the first thing out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda surprised about Black Monday, on show lengths like that I always presumed the whole thing was in the can before the first episode airs. Maybe it's all shot, but some episodes are still in post?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Had to tap out after the first season of Billions

There's only so many times you can get me to keep watching for the extremely narrow fetish niche of "Paul Giamatti is a very naughty boy"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

- Outsider. I am not sure how I truly feel about this show despite liking it. I almost feel like I shouldn't like it, due to where it goes after such a strong start. That said it does handle where it goes decently, but I can see how that would be a turn off for some people. Hell it does warn you it is from Stephen King.

So far Avenue 5 is the best thing I have watched in 2020.

Also am I the only person that confuses Julianne Nicholson (recently of the Outsider) with Molly Parker for like a second or two every time she shows up in something? I could swear they are sisters.
Agree about Avenue 5.
Outsider would have been an okay as a 90 minute movie and stretching it out to 10 hours was excruciating.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I should probably watch I Am Not Okay With This because it basically appears to be Life is Strange with the serial numbers filed off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

Had to tap out after the first season of Billions

There's only so many times you can get me to keep watching for the extremely narrow fetish niche of "Paul Giamatti is a very naughty boy"

"Aw shizzle I just closed a sick rear end deal, brosef! We're going to be rich mofos!"

- Every other line of dialogue of that insufferable show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it turns out Splash is on Disney+ and they found an interesting way to edit out the butts.
https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1249616330220847106

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shame they don't own Miramax anymore, I'd like to see D+ cuts of things like Clerks, Pulp Fiction etc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I should probably watch I Am Not Okay With This because it basically appears to be Life is Strange with the serial numbers filed off.

Wait, for real? drat. I should too then

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

So it turns out Splash is on Disney+ and they found an interesting way to edit out the butts.
https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1249616330220847106

I feel like there's a disconnect between how they marketed Disney+ as the ultimate archive of everything Disney ever made and then actually a delivered a platform that's mostly curated and sanitized to serve as a family-friendly streaming platform. Like I get why they wouldn't want the old cartoons of Donal Duck heiling Hitler and Mickey shilling for war bonds and Fig Newtons or Goofy smoking and taking goof balls just out there in the open but there's a real dearth of any of their animated shorts on there. Same with all the objectively-terrible early Disney Channel stuff where they just had people in costumes pantomiming as Pooh or Dumbo because they couldn't afford actual animation, it would be really interesting just as a piece of history but it's not there. Or as someone who grew up watching Vault Disney the fact that The Wonderful World of Disney and The Mickey Mouse Club are only there as a small curated number of episodes is a regression compared to what they would allow on basic cable 20 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The butts are the only thing I even remember from Splash.

e: And yeah, the only interest I have in Disney+ would be if they made an effort to get all of their obscure and unreleased stuff on there. Give me the Hardy Boys serials restored in HD and we can start to talk. Hell, I'll take restored versions of the Ewok movies and the Droids cartoon.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2020

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really hope butts being edited out becomes a B plot for Tina on a Bob's Burgers episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Westworld this week is basically Jonah Nolan being like “I have a cool idea for a futuristic drug!” and then shoehorning it into a story where it serves the story in literally no way whatsoever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched the first episode of Westworld S3 and had less than zero desire to keep watching.

It's kind of impressive just how many new ways they're coming up with to have nonsense plots

I guess I'd lol if the season is building up to the reveal that the real world is just another game though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I was fine with WW3 going in any direction story-wise, but holy poo poo was that first episode poorly written. Godawful dialogue, not an ounce of subtlety, and in love with itself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not kidding that literally the best thing about the season so far has been the orchestral arrangement of The Weeknd’s “Wicked Games”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I was fine with WW3 going in any direction story-wise

I gotta admit, I thought it'd be nukes, not viruses

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've successfully gotten 5 people to binge The Leftovers.

Oh hell yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

I've successfully gotten 5 people to binge The Leftovers.

Oh hell yes.
It's on my ever expanding list of shows to watch. I think I've got 10+ on there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The few irl people I’ve gotten to watch The Leftovers all consider it one of their favourite shows ever now

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

It's on my ever expanding list of shows to watch. I think I've got 10+ on there.

It’s so good. Some people aren’t big on S1 (I thought it was great) but everyone basically agrees S2 and S3 is some of the best TV ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really like Lost in retrospect and most of the problems come from being on network. Lindelof is good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The music on there is incredible, too. I will never not recommend The Leftovers to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrKoE1cdEo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

The music on there is incredible, too. I will never not recommend The Leftovers to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrKoE1cdEo

That’s possibly my favorite bit of score in anything. It’s an emotional gutpunch of a song.

Also, I know always put on The Pixies when I’m driving past Cairo, it’s like a reflex.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've seen like five goons recently say that season 1 was their favorite Leftovers season, so now I don't feel quite so insane for having that opinion

S2 is still really really good but man S1 just did it for me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I've seen like five goons recently say that season 1 was their favorite Leftovers season, so now I don't feel quite so insane for having that opinion

S2 is still really really good but man S1 just did it for me

Same. Part of that is definitely because I can watch it and see a bunch of places I recognize, but something about the relatively quicker pace just does it for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't stand the teen friends

e: The XFL is declaring bankruptcy and shutting down. Hopefully I can grab some official jerseys on discount.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

sold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
WWE Raw doesn't have an audience for obvious reasons and now I'm spoiled, I don't know if I can go back to the crowds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo these ladies are actually not pulling their punches, Ruby Riot just spit out blood from being smacked in the face hard by Oska (?)

OH MY GOD THAT KICK TO THE FACE JESUS

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Asuka, queen of hardstyle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo these ladies are actually not pulling their punches, Ruby Riot just spit out blood from being smacked in the face hard by Oska (?)

OH MY GOD THAT KICK TO THE FACE JESUS

Asuka literally knocked her ear gauges out in succession, and then there was a hair extension on the mat later

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I Am Not Okay With This isn’t that similar to Life is Strange, but it’s still worth a watch for the last episode especially.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Working through some stuff I skipped on release due to no new TV and maybe its just me but it really feels like they cut the budget hard for s2 of Altered Carbon.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it bad this actually makes me want to watch it?

haha :same:

I've only seen the first two episodes but that post is a great incentive to get back into it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

I Am Not Okay With This isn’t that similar to Life is Strange, but it’s still worth a watch for the last episode especially.

Well it's only about a teenage girl who moves to a new town and discovers her latent superpowers while falling in love with her best friend. There are also dead dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Working through some stuff I skipped on release due to no new TV and maybe its just me but it really feels like they cut the budget hard for s2 of Altered Carbon.

It’s so bad. It looks a lot cheaper, the art design got super boring, and just... ugh. I made a thread for it if you want to read a bunch of goons talk about why they don’t like it. I honestly really wanted to like S2, I love the books and I enjoyed 90 percent of the first season, but 2 makes it apparent the books were doing most of the heavy lifting.

The Thread