Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some figurative deck lists.

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1247923946542043138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Arboreal Grazer goes with Kaheera the Orphanguard! Nice.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Them putting Bo1 and Bo3 human drafts up immediately on Thursday means that I don't have to play Sealed at all, which might be the best announcement of all here.

Now I just need to have Going Optimal or whoever figure out which is better for my gems with a 59% winrate, Bo1 or Bo3.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kanfy posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-april-2020-04-13

Human drafts and both Bo1 and Bo3 available on Thursday, first one's free but from there it's 10k gold/1500 gems per draft. And some other stuff too.

The bo1 payout is pretty drat good too. You break even if you can manage 3-2. The bo3 payouts are brutal but then it mimics FNM drafts where you either win or get nothing so I'm not as bothered by that.

I wonder if this will change the rare drafting strategy, I can see a lot more rares getting passed in human drafts.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/President_Ark/status/1249767761410232320

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

axeil posted:

The bo1 payout is pretty drat good too. You break even if you can manage 3-2. The bo3 payouts are brutal but then it mimics FNM drafts where you either win or get nothing so I'm not as bothered by that.

I wonder if this will change the rare drafting strategy, I can see a lot more rares getting passed in human drafts.
What, it takes 5 wins to get 1600 gems on your 1500 gem entry.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm debating whether or not to pick up the historic anthologies. I've actually been enjoying historic queue more than standard but I don't know if there's enough value there to justify investing. Think I'm just worried the 1st anthology will stop being offered and I'll regret it when historic becomes a more popular format.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
code:
7 Wins: 2200 Gems and 6 Packs
6 Wins: 1800 Gems and 5 Packs
5 Wins: 1600 Gems and 4 Packs
4 Wins: 1400 Gems and 3 Packs
3 Wins: 1000 Gems and 2 Packs
2 Wins: 250 Gems and 2 Packs
1 Win: 100 Gems and 1 Pack
0 Wins: 50 Gems and 1 Pack
I'm valuing the packs at 100 gems/each so 1000 gems plus 2 packs, plus the 3 packs you draft is pretty much breaking even.

If you just want pure gems then yes, you need to go 5-3 or better.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
feels like people keep confusing companions as a one of in the side board when you can mainboard three of them (if they're worth it)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lid posted:

feels like people keep confusing companions as a one of in the side board when you can mainboard three of them (if they're worth it)

aren't they all legendary though? you probably don't want to draw a 2nd if you have a guaranteed one from the start of the game, and you definitely don't want to draw 3 of them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

house of the dad posted:

I'm debating whether or not to pick up the historic anthologies. I've actually been enjoying historic queue more than standard but I don't know if there's enough value there to justify investing. Think I'm just worried the 1st anthology will stop being offered and I'll regret it when historic becomes a more popular format.

I also love Historic and don't think buying the entire sets are really advisable. If you like to mess around with lots of stuff, sure, but you can craft the meta playables without nearly the investment.

Also, Historic disappears Thursday and doesn't come back for 6-8 weeks, so at any rate don't spend $40 on it today.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lid posted:

companions are a lot worse when they don't have "draw a card" on them

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Huxley posted:

I also love Historic and don't think buying the entire sets are really advisable. If you like to mess around with lots of stuff, sure, but you can craft the meta playables without nearly the investment.

Also, Historic disappears Thursday and doesn't come back for 6-8 weeks, so at any rate don't spend $40 on it today.

Where'd you hear this? The state of the game posted today says they're planning on releasing anthology 3 next month.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I play orzhov sacrifice/tokens in brawl, and regularly get into the triple digit triggers.
If you want your interface to stay sane, just don't run dawn of clumsy programming. That way they will resolve in a second.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

house of the dad posted:

Where'd you hear this? The state of the game posted today says they're planning on releasing anthology 3 next month.
Sometime in may doesn't preclude six weeks, but the old statements were that historic is only supposed to be around in the back half of a given set's release period

I think just a month this time, though, since Teferi 2021 isn't far off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lid posted:

Which ones would you maindeck?

They are sometimes maindeckable, especially in limited, but I'd look on them in constructed as a way to have That Card That You Really Want on the turn when you want it *without* having to include 4 copies of it in your deck. Or having to draw it.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Spiderdrake posted:

Sometime in may doesn't preclude six weeks, but the old statements were that historic is only supposed to be around in the back half of a given set's release period

I think just a month this time, though, since Teferi 2021 isn't far off.

That's just for ranked historic, historic events and casual queue are permanent as far as I'm aware.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thespaceinvader posted:

Which ones would you maindeck?

They are sometimes maindeckable, especially in limited, but I'd look on them in constructed as a way to have That Card That You Really Want on the turn when you want it *without* having to include 4 copies of it in your deck. Or having to draw it.

Probably the build around ones Gyroda, Keruga and especially Kaheera and Yorion - Kaheera as its tribal you want the boost, and Yorion as well you have to add 20 more cards to your deck anyway.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I forget, are they doing a story thing with Ikoria? I still have no idea what happened in Theros besides Ashiok seeing Phyrexians in Elspeth's memories and loving off somewhere, but it's strange to realize that the lack of narrative connection makes a set/cards more forgettable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GrandpaPants posted:

I forget, are they doing a story thing with Ikoria? I still have no idea what happened in Theros besides Ashiok seeing Phyrexians in Elspeth's memories and loving off somewhere, but it's strange to realize that the lack of narrative connection makes a set/cards more forgettable.

there's an ebook

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/ikoria-lair-behemoths-sundered-bond-ebook-available-preorder-2020-03-26

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

GrandpaPants posted:

Story makes it even more gibberish for me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This one feels like the same deal as Eldraine: establishing a plane and showing what's unique about it, while also introducing a Planeswalker native to it who will go on to be involved in other stuff.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I've played in two of these workshop events so far and both times the black deck has been complete and utter garbage and unable to beat either of the other two. What the hell? Why does the sapproling deck get nothing but overpriced dudes and sac spells that don't even pair with the stuff my opponents get?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Season of Growth ought to be a must-include in any mutation-heavy deck with green, since mutating a creature is "cast[ing] a spell that targets a creature you control". And if the target creature gets swatted before the mutation comes down, you get the ETB trigger as well.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ledgem posted:

I've played in two of these workshop events so far and both times the black deck has been complete and utter garbage and unable to beat either of the other two. What the hell? Why does the sapproling deck get nothing but overpriced dudes and sac spells that don't even pair with the stuff my opponents get?

I just lost to that deck as the RW deck. My opp drew a bunch of Costly Plunder and I didn't get any draw so I lost by card disadvantage.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 14, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm sure this has already been discussed but I just looked at the mastery pass for Ikoria and the rewards seem to be pretty weak compared to the previous ones. Or am I misremembering?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm sure this has already been discussed but I just looked at the mastery pass for Ikoria and the rewards seem to be pretty weak compared to the previous ones. Or am I misremembering?

There's less of it partly because the season is shorter and partly because they're still trying to see how little they can get away with.

Still costs the same as a large season, though. Lots of people seem to be planning on skipping it. I probably will make this my first skip.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shooting Blanks posted:

No, the rewards are pretty bad this time around. They're in the process of steadily cutting them to figure out how little they can get away with and have people still buy it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't want to buy any more packs of Theros right now (I'm REALLY excited about Ikoria). I have 5k gold saved, what is my best bet to maximize my cards and gold?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

I don't want to buy any more packs of Theros right now (I'm REALLY excited about Ikoria). I have 5k gold saved, what is my best bet to maximize my cards and gold?

start saving further back than a couple days before the new set releases

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

start saving further back than a couple days before the new set releases

Thank you for that super helpful answer!

EDIT: Apologies I phrased my question poorly.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Check the daily deals to see if anything catches your eye, otherwise save it for a Ranked Draft Ikoria.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

If you have a deck you're comfortable with, finishing ladder grinding now, don't wait til the end of the month. It won't get better.

Finish all your quests and weekly and whatever else, all that stuff has previously reset, and likely will on thursday. Do Brawl (it's apparently still free for the next month with a new reward) and maybe wait for the bo1 drafts to show up in may, the others are pretty vicious if you don't do super well, and I suspect there's not going to be more rares passed on average anyway.

Or just crack packs and don't worry about it. Personally I'm going to do 1-2 drafts, using up the free one and the token from the theros pass, hoping to hit silver. Then waiting til bo1 in may. Probably buy some stuff with WCs for Brawl.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spiderdrake posted:

Do Brawl (it's apparently still free for the next month with a new reward) a

Oh wow! Where did you see this? I love Brawl (it's pretty much all I play)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Human drafts coming Thursday kicks rear end. Thats the most exciting news of all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

Oh wow! Where did you see this? I love Brawl (it's pretty much all I play)
Confirmed by Jay Parker on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/g0ncae/mtg_arena_state_of_the_game_april_2020/fnamvkc/

Yeah, I'm happy too.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Thank you for that super helpful answer!

Not sure what answer you're looking for here, you have one draft worth of gold saved. Play that draft and win and then keep not losing?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Network42 posted:

Not sure what answer you're looking for here, you have one draft worth of gold saved. Play that draft and win and then keep not losing?

I guess I'm wondering is it better to use that gold to draft or buy 5 packs, this is probably how I should've phrased my question sorry.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ranked draft entry is 5 packs worth of gold or 3.75 packs worth of gems, so it's definitely better if you're spending gems on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So does the Mastery Pass just get you stuff earlier than you would by grinding? Or do you get stuff you wouldn't get otherwise?