Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

Well it's only about a teenage girl who moves to a new town and discovers her latent superpowers while falling in love with her best friend. There are also dead dads.

soldx2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is Tooning Out the News any good? Asking for my parents.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm glad "The Plot Against America" is only 6 episodes because it's just too uncomfortable to watch. It's sad when the level of gaslighting in a fictional plot about the slow creep of Nazi influence in America is toned down from the reality that's happening around you. That's not the way that's supposed to work. You are supposed to watch stuff like that and be horrified and then thankful that reality is better. Instead, you watch it and think "well, we got that going on and we have a pandemic heaped on top."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Better Call Saul tonight was amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

more like better call kim

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Better Call Saul tonight was amazing

Regy Rusty posted:

more like better call kim
Best show currently on TV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic posted:

Hard agree :hai:

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

I haven’t even watched the episode yet, but

precision posted:

Hard agree :hai:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay so I'm on the last couple episodes of Mr Robot and it's definitely sticking the landing but I still think the way episode 8/9 were written and directed was not great

I dunno that bringing Vera back was necessary and the last minute Darlene/Dom romance felt rushed

Edit: watching the last episode now and between BCS and this I'm having Peak TV overload, this is SO GOOD

precision fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 14, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm glad "The Plot Against America" is only 6 episodes because it's just too uncomfortable to watch. It's sad when the level of gaslighting in a fictional plot about the slow creep of Nazi influence in America is toned down from the reality that's happening around you. That's not the way that's supposed to work. You are supposed to watch stuff like that and be horrified and then thankful that reality is better. Instead, you watch it and think "well, we got that going on and we have a pandemic heaped on top."

The episode tonight was great though! I really like Zoe Kazan in this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kim Wexler is GOAT

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

I watched the first episode of Westworld S3 and had less than zero desire to keep watching.

It's kind of impressive just how many new ways they're coming up with to have nonsense plots

I guess I'd lol if the season is building up to the reveal that the real world is just another game though

One of the underlying themes of the new season is that the real world is fundamentally built along the same rules as the Parks are writ-large. It's not a game, but the way common people are treated in a world of AI algorithms is really no different than the Hosts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Kim Wexler is GOAT

Yes, always

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Kim Wexler is GOAT

She really is, but I have never been more scared for her survival. I always thought the destruction of her relationship with Jimmy would be her seeing the light and just leaving him for good but uh now that she’s going toe-to-toe with cartel dudes and leaving her cushy banking law job, I’m starting to worry that she won’t survive the show. Or maybe even the season.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tormund Giantsbane has recovered after being infected with covid-19.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Since the world seems to really like Westworld season 3, would it be safe to just skip season 2? I've tried getting through it twice and faded quickly both times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ariza posted:

Since the world seems to really like Westworld season 3, would it be safe to just skip season 2? I've tried getting through it twice and faded quickly both times.

There are 2 good episodes in season 2. The ones with Delos Sr(ep4) and Akecheta(ep8). Yea you can basically skip the rest.

I don't know if I would say that season 3 is good. The writing and dialogue are still pretty poor and honestly it's kinda boring. It's definitely better than season 2 so far but that is a super low bar to clear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There are 2 good episodes in season 2. The ones with Delos Sr(ep4) and Akecheta(ep8). Yea you can basically skip the rest.

I don't know if I would say that season 3 is good. The writing and dialogue are still pretty poor and honestly it's kinda boring. It's definitely better than season 2 so far but that is a super low bar to clear.

Need to watch the finale too, because it has a lot of character motivation and setup for the third.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ariza posted:

If you can't stand season 2 nothing in the world will get you to care about season 3. It's certainly better but I would not call it good by any means

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ariza posted:

It's still in progress, no reason not to.just wait a few more weeks and then get consensus on the final product if you're already that distanced from it.

Me I liked season 2 and think the backlash was mostly just people mad that the show wasn't going in the direction they wanted it to (see: the constant insistence that the showrunners hurridly changed the plot and ending at the last second out of some narcisstic desire to spite the fans who had guessed the ending even though there is zero evidence and the showrunners have actively denied it and anyone with a fundamental knowledge of television production knows the whole thing was wrapped months ahead of time) and 3 seems like a bit of a synthesis between 1 and 2 so I'm glad it's winning people back over and I'm enjoying seeing where it will go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sleeveless posted:

It's still in progress, no reason not to.just wait a few more weeks and then get consensus on the final product if you're already that distanced from it.

Me I liked season 2 and think the backlash was mostly just people mad that the show wasn't going in the direction they wanted it to (see: the constant insistence that the showrunners hurridly changed the plot and ending at the last second out of some narcisstic desire to spite the fans who had guessed the ending even though there is zero evidence and the showrunners have actively denied it and anyone with a fundamental knowledge of television production knows the whole thing was wrapped months ahead of time) and 3 seems like a bit of a synthesis between 1 and 2 so I'm glad it's winning people back over and I'm enjoying seeing where it will go.

Season 2's problem was it had no overarching plot playing out guiding everything, it was just the fallout from the first season with everyone finding their own way off the island right from the moment the first season ended. Season 3's at a much stronger starting point, because we're trying to figure out just what both Dolores and Serac are plotting with both their plans already well in motion behind the scenes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Disney+ is probably the best :7bux: my wife and I have spent per month in a while. 4 or 5 nights a week are movie nights with the kids, and we're watching all of our favorites as kids, along with some more "modern" fare. Can't wait till we watch Hercules and Hunchback - two of my favorite Disney movies ever.

Plus...they have ALL the old DCOMs and series I grew up on (as a nigh-exclusive Disney Channel watcher, I watched a metric fuckton of DCOMs and still have a major sweet spot for Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Proud Family, Smart Guy, Phil of the Future, and The Suite Life) :neckbeard:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't even have kids and like when I did my one week trial I could plainly see I could spend months just watching random stuff I had forgotten I loved once. I'm just gonna wait until a couple of those MCU shows are out so I can get the most bang for my buck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ariza posted:

Apparently this was the season that was pitched to HBO and greenlight, so it's not total hyperbole to call S3 the start of a new show. I'd go ahead and watch, and then if you like it and want more you can go back and watch S1/S2 as a prequel.

Ignore the Sheldon-Purists who say you have to watch every episode in release order to enjoy anything ~properly~.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Has anyone else watching Belgravia? Like a more tightly-plotted Downton Abbey. I've been enjoying it.

nate fisher posted:

- Outlander current season. Hey my wife loves the books, and while I am not a big fan, there are worse things on TV.

Outlander had been in a real slump since Jamie and Claire were reunited in season 3, but this season has been a partial return to form (not counting the godawful first episode).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Leto Atreides I

I'm getting pretty excited about this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Croatoan posted:

Leto Atreides I

I'm getting pretty excited about this.

You’ve got an incredible visual director with a great track record and a stellar cast of genuinely good actors and actresses adapting The literary sci-fi epic, but half of CineD has already written it off based on a handful of Vanity Fair publicity photos.

I think it looks excellent :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Same thing when the trailer for The Social Network came out and everyone dismissed it despite David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, there's also the fact that Dune, the novel, was pretty bad.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
CineD is like the Watchmen thread but a subforum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toshimo posted:

Dune was fine, though it's also fine to dislike it, it's that sort of book. Everything post-Dune... eurgh.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think we should make a sprawling epic adaptation of Burroughs' Nova Trilogy instead of this lame dune adaptation that nobody will like

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Toshimo posted:

It was better than foundation!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dune is a very good novel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think we should make a sprawling epic adaptation of Burroughs' Nova Trilogy instead of this lame dune adaptation that nobody will like

Hell yeah!!

Featuring Ryan Gosling as Uranium Willy, the Heavy Metal Kid

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’ve got an incredible visual director with a great track record and a stellar cast of genuinely good actors and actresses adapting The literary sci-fi epic, but half of CineD has already written it off based on a handful of Vanity Fair publicity photos.

I think it looks excellent :shrug:

Considering that Dune's legacy is being a unique, exotic setting with a storied history with colorful and unusual visualizations and adaptations it's totally understandable that fans of it as it exists or as the potential to portray an explicitly arabic-influenced futuristic culture would be a little let down that the first look of the film is showcasing the exact same western desaturated gunmetal flat surfaces and open spaces as every other big serious sci-fi film to come out in the past decade.

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1249734284434386944

That kind of color palette worked for Arrival because it was a grounded take at modern Earth having to cope with aliens we were struggling to comprehend and it makes sense that but I was hoping they would be showing off Dune with something more like Bladerunner 2049's saturated and varied colors instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I too like to critique the color palette of a movie that hasn't even been color graded yet.

There's a massive difference between on set photographs and a finished and graded film. It seams early to jump on this before the first trailer is even out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

CineD is like the Watchmen thread but a subforum.

As an active CineD poster, that feels pretty accurate, yeah.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

I too like to critique the color palette of a movie that hasn't even been color graded yet.

There's a massive difference between on set photographs and a finished and graded film. It seams early to jump on this before the first trailer is even out.

I thought they had been color graded, if that's not the case and the movie is secretly gorgeous and colorful and they just decided to make it look like drab poo poo in the promotional stills for some reason then I will be very happy to have been wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That style of visual filmmaking is, uh, a bit more than 7 or 10 years old