Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mennoknight posted:

Oscar Isaacs looks PERFECT

When does he ever not look perfect?

What's that? Apoca-what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thick-fir Hawat

These look dope, if the shot of Chani is any indication the blue eyes effect from spice consumption is going to be more subdued than the other adaptations, which bums me out but is almost certainly the right call.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Thick-fir Hawat

These look dope, if the shot of Chani is any indication the blue eyes effect from spice consumption is going to be more subdued than the other adaptations, which bums me out but is almost certainly the right call.

These are pre-fx set stills, so if they're touching up the blue with fx we wouldn't see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They fixed it!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Nope, I can't unsee the D U N C

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sucks that Poe Dameron defected to the stormtroopers

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The slow blade penetrates the shield...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Was it in Javier Bardem's contract that he got a bigger codpiece than anyone else

(also lol that after 35 years they still can't come up with a stillsuit costume that isn't a sweatbox)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Clipperton posted:

(also lol that after 35 years they haven't come up with a stillsuit costume that isn't a sweatbox)

. . . that's what it's for . . .

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

. . . that's what it's for . . .

recycle the sweat you have sure, not make you sweat more

also pretty sure if you poo poo in one of those costumes it doesn't get processed in the thigh pads

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope the rest of it all looks 8000 years in the future super weird.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Doctor posted:

I hope the rest of it all looks 8000 years in the future super weird.

I really do wish any of the adaptations would remember that people sit on chairdogs. Genetically engineered beings shaped like chairs that are made so that the only action they're capable of is perceiving when their owner is going to sit down, and then running to that spot so that their owner sits on them. I don't they don't appear until Heretics but come on give us some live action chairdogs lol.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Doesn't Heretics take place ~ 300 years (and many psychedelic drugs) later?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Doctor posted:

They fixed it!

Wasn't that the original?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Give me the Emperor's mobile toilet-throne from the Jodorowsky version.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Arglebargle III posted:

Doesn't Heretics take place ~ 300 years (and many psychedelic drugs) later?

more like 3000 I think.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1250090981699080194?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When you see your space boyfriend succeed and go onto better things. :3:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Not sure how I feel about that grey armor, it looks kinda like chunky cosplay. Stilgar looks exactly how I always imagined him.

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol people on twitter complaining that this movie is whitewashed

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

Hmmm I didn't care for Paul or Leto in that version but the Baron was perfect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

Not sure how I feel about that grey armor, it looks kinda like chunky cosplay. Stilgar looks exactly how I always imagined him.

I like the cold and militant Atreides look because that's much more in character with the books. We see them as the good guys but Leto was still an aristocrat and military leader who had his eye firmly on the imperial throne. The book doesn't explicitly tell us that Leto was holding out to marry Irulan but reading between the lines it's pretty clear.

Imagine if Leto's gambit had paid off and he'd had a year to recruit and train Fremen and stockpile spice. The Emperor really would have had no choice but to adopt him as his son-in-law and de facto male heir. He might not have forced Shaddam to abdicate like Paul did but the end result would still have been the Atreides sitting at the center of galactic wealth and power.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 14, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I see nothing that dashes my foolish hope we'll see David Lynch as the padishah emperor.

Goddamn, that armor.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Payndz posted:

Now he looks like the wrathful Buddha.
Now he looks like he's in a wind tunnel!

What's that from? I think I recognise it...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Beardless Jason Momoa looks a lot like Antonio Banderas.

Eason the Fifth posted:

First time I ever saw James McAvoy.

I do feel like there was this brief period in the early 2000s where Alec Newman and Edward Atterton were both on the verge of becoming A Thing in genre TV but didn't quite make it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not sure I feel the minimalism of that armor. Would be a shame if it didn't include some of the baroque/rococo-ness of the Lynch version.

Should be better in motion maybe. 2049 had a surprising amount of atmosphere for being relatively sleek design-wise.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Bagpipes spotted.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mennoknight posted:

more like 3000 I think.

It's more like 4500 IIRC. Leto's peace lasts about 3000 years and Heretics and Chapterhouse are around 1500 years after that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

What's that from? I think I recognise it...
"Mitchell/Mitchell!/Mitchell/ry-yyyyye on a sammich/heart's pounding/veins clogging/MITCHELL!"

drat, now I'm picturing Joe Don Baker as Lynch's Baron.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not really a fan of the costuming. It's just so... generic. Has no personality.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1250124710953619456

Could be that the really bad lighting is obscuring the details or there aren't any to speak of.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, they’re not wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah. I can see an argument for more 19th century aristocratic splendor but on the other hand I can see an argument for portraying the Atreides as what they are: foreign aristocrats who assert their right to dispose of Dune's wealth as they see fit and an army to back up that assertion.

On the third, mutated hand, some designers think "future" means sleek and un-ornamented.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jimbot posted:

Not really a fan of the costuming. It's just so... generic. Has no personality.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1250124710953619456

Could be that the really bad lighting is obscuring the details or there aren't any to speak of.

That's pretty much how I'd imagine the Atreides looking when they first land on Arrakis, no-nonsense military stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I think it's a fair interpretation of that house, even if it's not very visually remarkable. Now if you show us Harkonnen and they are equally as dull then it'd be a problem.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm withholding judgement until we see Feyd's speedo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cacator posted:

I'm withholding judgement until we see Feyd's speedo.

It seems we won’t see Feyd until the second film.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah I think it's a fair interpretation of that house, even if it's not very visually remarkable. Now if you show us Harkonnen and they are equally as dull then it'd be a problem.

It’s set like 20k years in the future looking like a modern military with the serial numbers filed off is lame no excuses. Frankly even the Lynch Atreides stuff is a little too recognizable but at least they’re wearing fur coats and carrying lapdogs so there’s some characterization besides “boring military guys”

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It’s set like 20k years in the future looking like a modern military with the serial numbers filed off is lame no excuses. Frankly even the Lynch Atreides stuff is a little too recognizable but at least they’re wearing fur coats and carrying lapdogs so there’s some characterization besides “boring military guys”

I mean it's not like the source material makes the Atreides much more colourful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

That's fair but it's just so unremarkable to the point where if you told me those were the cast of characters for the new Star Wars show in Disney+ I would have believed you. You can do unremarkable and still have a distinct style.

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean it's not like the source material makes the Atreides much more colourful.

True but I think adapting something should take some creative liberties with the source material in appropriate places.