Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Unless you really love old school jrpg gameplay, I'd definitely advise cheating your way through it.

Last I played was on the PC steam version, and I took a save editor to it to effectively max out my levels and give myself a whole bunch of enemy avoidance materia and it was fun to run through it and see the story with minimal hassle.

Then again, I'm just kind of over the older ATB systems in general so that might just be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Unless you really love old school jrpg gameplay, I'd definitely advise cheating your way through it.

Last I played was on the PC steam version, and I took a save editor to it to effectively max out my levels and give myself a whole bunch of enemy avoidance materia and it was fun to run through it and see the story with minimal hassle.

Then again, I'm just kind of over the older ATB systems in general so that might just be me.

:chloe:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The FF7 mobile and PC releases literally have options to automatically max out all your stats and turn off enemy encounters. You don't need an editor or anything.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The FF7 mobile and PC releases literally have options to automatically max out all your stats and turn off enemy encounters. You don't need an editor or anything.

Really? This was like 2 or 3 years ago, before the PS4 release so I might have just missed them in that case

It'd certainly make things way easier in that case!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah you're not really losing much by blowing off the battles with cheats or whatever. It stops really being a game at that point though and more of a VN but that's not really a condemnation either. I still enjoy the old school-ness but that's almost all nostalgia.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFVII doesn't require much mastery of it's systems to reach the end. The only dudes that are hard are the Weapons, and most people defeat them using one neat trick that doctors hate.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Weapons are pretty much solved at this point, it just depends on how patient you are to grind out the materia.

I am not patient and have never beaten them.

Honestly if the story is what interests you the most I'd recommend Elentor's LP.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy gently caress, how do I do this battle in chapter 17? The one with like 6 bloodhounds where you only have Tifa and Aerith. I get completely mobbed for 600hp/hit.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Just beat the Coliseum in Ch 9, holy poo poo that last boss hahaha. That whole section has gotta be the best part of the game so far.

But I’m confused about Wall Market side quests (or lack thereof). Madame M gave me one of those “the story is moving ahead” choices which usually means you need to finish side quests except...I haven’t found any.

I want to finish as much of the content as possible on my first playthrough so I googled and it looks like the side quests all require you answered in a certain way and made certain choices earlier in the chapter? Am I locked out of doing them until hard mode now?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Holy gently caress, how do I do this battle in chapter 17? The one with like 6 bloodhounds where you only have Tifa and Aerith. I get completely mobbed for 600hp/hit.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just reached THE Aerith/Tifa fight I’ve seen some people mention here and....

....what the gently caress, game?

EDIT: Beat it on my third try. Elemental+Ice on Tifa and a sacrificial Aerith dropping Barrier + a heal before she died let Tifa deal enough damage to stagger a few at which point I started cleaning up. But holy poo poo those dogs DO NOT mess around.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Leathal posted:

Just beat the Coliseum in Ch 9, holy poo poo that last boss hahaha. That whole section has gotta be the best part of the game so far.

But I’m confused about Wall Market side quests (or lack thereof). Madame M gave me one of those “the story is moving ahead” choices which usually means you need to finish side quests except...I haven’t found any.

I want to finish as much of the content as possible on my first playthrough so I googled and it looks like the side quests all require you answered in a certain way and made certain choices earlier in the chapter? Am I locked out of doing them until hard mode now?

Go talk to Chocobo Sam.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gottem, thanks! Equip high defense armor on both members. Elemental Ice attack on Tifa, Magnify Barrier and First Strike on Aerith. Set Aerith as leader. Once battle starts, immediately pop Mag Barrier, switch to Tifa, and beat poo poo up while switching to Aerith to heal now and then.

The battles are heavily dependent on the player already knowing what’s coming. That sucks, and is not fun at all. It feels cheap.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Leathal posted:

As far as I can tell you can elect not to do sidequests but you cannot miss when they appear. IIRC after you commit Aerith to Madame M you get some sidequests (if she was your sponsor and not Sam).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pollyanna posted:

I just Firaga'd them with Aerith, and then Starshowered them to death with Tifa.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pollyanna posted:

The battles are heavily dependent on the player already knowing what’s coming. That sucks, and is not fun at all. It feels cheap.
Yeah, this is my biggest complaint about the game. There are a lot of materia and it's unlikely you'll have exactly what you need for a specific fight. Too often I find myself using most of my ATB just spamming cura on all 3 characters while slowly grinding through a fight.

While the materia system in general is fine I've grown to hate how heavily it restricts your access to spells coupled with how the game loves to play the "you must use exactly this element at exactly this time" card.

On the other hand, carefully setting up your equipment perfectly for a fight is pretty fun. I guess what I really want is to be able to switch equipment in combat or assess an enemy before fighting without the long load times of start fight >> assess >> restart before fight

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2020

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Really? This was like 2 or 3 years ago, before the PS4 release so I might have just missed them in that case

It'd certainly make things way easier in that case!

If it matters to anyone, the PS4 release has a suite of cheats that will also make the game move a lot quicker. You can insta-heal everyone, speed up the game, skip random encounters and I think give yourself limit breaks or something. The game was already easy but the cheats will smooth out some of the random encounter frustration and let you enjoy it pretty stress-free.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sindai posted:

Yeah, this is my biggest complaint about the game. There are a lot of materia and it's unlikely you'll have exactly what you need for a specific fight. Too often I find myself using most of my ATB just spamming cura on all 3 characters while slowly grinding through a fight.

While the materia system in general is fine I've grown to hate how heavily it restricts your access to spells coupled with how the game loves to play the "you must use exactly this element at exactly this time" card.

My tactic was usually, if a battle's taking too long, restart out of that battle, fiddle with my materia set-up and go back in. I personally was fine with that being the way to do it, because every boss fight becomes a puzzle boss and it comes down to executing the correct strategy when you've worked it out, but I completely get why some people would like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nickoten posted:

If it matters to anyone, the PS4 release has a suite of cheats that will also make the game move a lot quicker. You can insta-heal everyone, speed up the game, skip random encounters and I think give yourself limit breaks or something. The game was already easy but the cheats will smooth out some of the random encounter frustration and let you enjoy it pretty stress-free.

R3 gives you full health, MP and Limit meters every turn for all characters (they can still be KO-ed if hit with something that goes above their max HP though), L3 speeds the game up 3X, L3+R3 turn off encounters.

It's great, but can screw you over later in the game because of the max HP breakthrough damage thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some of the battles are really uneven. Like the turtle enemies in the sewers. Their jump does 1/3 of your total health in damage. Couple that with being able to straight up be canceled out of any action you do and waste your ATB and you get a very frustrating fight when you fight 3 at once at the end. Worse than the bosses so far!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Watching a Hell House video (caution spoilers in the description) and while this was an epic fight I'm still annoyed by how it felt cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btzQqL5--8

Switches resistances, constantly and throws up a barrier 90% of the time once it changes forms. You have like a 5 second window to hit him when he drops it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is a case where I sort of think calling difficulty levels "Easy" and "Normal" might be part of the problem for some players. A lot of us are going to default to playing on Normal, but also a lot of players, especially JRPG fans, might not be used to a "Normal" difficulty level where losing and/or restarting a fight to adjust your build is not just a regular occurrence, but sort of expected sometimes. People are used to "Normal" meaning "I'll be challenged sometimes but I probably won't hit many walls" and that's not really what it means here.

Personally, I like the Normal difficulty a lot. I have a few mechanics complaints, especially with how Blizzard and Aero spells work being dumb as gently caress and the dodge roll being kinda useless, but by and large I enjoy the level of challenge. But I understand the people who don't and find it really frustrating that they sort of need to redo battles sometimes to take the "right" approach.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well in most Final Fantasies, total party wipes are pretty rare. How many bosses posed a real danger in Original Recipe?

Materia Keeper
Demon Gate
Schizo (maybe)
Carry Armor
Bizarro Sephiroth if you don't get his gimmick

In the remake, even on Classic I've had a tough time with a couple bosses through chapter 12:

Reno, first fight
Reno and Rude on the pillar
Hell House
Eligor (HOLD STILL DAMMIT)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zakharov posted:

Switches resistances, constantly and throws up a barrier 90% of the time once it changes forms. You have like a 5 second window to hit him when he drops it.

IMO this would've been much less of an issue if it weren't for the way Blizzard and Aero spells work and how they'll miss entirely if the enemy moves before their delayed hit goes off. If they happened quickly like Fire spells or instantly like Thunder spells, it would've been a lot easier to blast the boss with its weakness during the available windows.

zakharov posted:

Well in most Final Fantasies, total party wipes are pretty rare. How many bosses posed a real danger in Original Recipe?

Most Final Fantasy games are really easy, yeah, which is why I think maybe the problem people are having is that the Normal difficulty this time around is actually pretty challenging. If it'd been called "Challenging" or something, with the Easy difficulty renamed to something else (not "Normal" or "Standard" or it'll sound like that's the intended one, but something more descriptive of how it actually feels to play) maybe more people would be willing to switch to it instead of sticking with something they aren't finding fun.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

Personally, I like the Normal difficulty a lot. I have a few mechanics complaints, especially with how Blizzard and Aero spells work being dumb as gently caress and the dodge roll being kinda useless, but by and large I enjoy the level of challenge. But I understand the people who don't and find it really frustrating that they sort of need to redo battles sometimes to take the "right" approach.

I actually got a lot of use out of the dodge roll. It's good with Cloud and Tifa, especially Tifa. Not with Barret and Aerith though. I agree on the Blizzard and Aero issue though. The game clearly does too, because when you get hit with it, you actually get stunned until the explosion unless you're blocking. Something that doesn't happen to enemies, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I enjoyed the combat enough that I'm actually going to go back and play it on Hard in a week or two, which is something I almost never do with games.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The combat's in a weird place where once you have familiarity with enemy moves and bring the right loadout it's extremely manageable, but the first time you fight anything challenging you're going to have no idea what those moves are and don't have a chance to prepare you gear and materia. Hard mode is a LOT of fun once you know what to expect and are ready to react appropriately with interrupts, defensive magic, breach, etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love all the non boss battles, but the boss battles have beat the poo poo out of me so far. There’s a way to make them easy right? I shouldn’t be spending most of my time healing I assume.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I actually got a lot of use out of the dodge roll. It's good with Cloud and Tifa, especially Tifa. Not with Barret and Aerith though. I agree on the Blizzard and Aero issue though. The game clearly does too, because when you get hit with it, you actually get stunned until the explosion unless you're blocking. Something that doesn't happen to enemies, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I enjoyed the combat enough that I'm actually going to go back and play it on Hard in a week or two, which is something I almost never do with games.

There have been a couple enemies I've noticed who get hit-stunned by the initial spell, like the Chapter 13 boss's minions, but a lot of them don't because a lot of enemies have some sort of "their attacks are uninterruptible until you do X thing" mechanic.

I've found the dodge roll more useful with Tifa than Cloud, personally. I think my issue with it is that it never seems to move me far enough away from a big attack I know is coming, and because it lacks i-frames, my action game "hit the dodge roll to move away from a big telegraphed attack" instincts often lead to me getting wrecked when I should've just blocked. Part of it is my own fault--it's my own reflexes leading me to dodge more than block--but still, I wish it moved farther, at least. I need to learn to just stand there and block a lot more.

Invalid Validation posted:

I love all the non boss battles, but the boss battles have beat the poo poo out of me so far. There’s a way to make them easy right? I shouldn’t be spending most of my time healing I assume.

Almost every boss can be completely chumped once you know what to do and really know its attack patterns, but that "once you know what to do" can be a pretty big wall to climb over for some bosses. It can help to use Assess and pay attention to what the yellow text in the description says to learn how to stagger them more quickly, but some of it also just comes down to knowing when phase transitions will happen and things like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell House is my favorite fight in the game so far. That video stresses me out though since it feels like an eternity between when the shield drops and the player finally decides to go into the menu and cast a spell.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

Turn the difficulty to easy. If you don't want to do that, use assess and hit them with their weakness.

That said some of them are straight up hard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Harrow posted:

There have been a couple enemies I've noticed who get hit-stunned by the initial spell, like the Chapter 13 boss's minions, but a lot of them don't because a lot of enemies have some sort of "their attacks are uninterruptible until you do X thing" mechanic.

I've found the dodge roll more useful with Tifa than Cloud, personally. I think my issue with it is that it never seems to move me far enough away from a big attack I know is coming, and because it lacks i-frames, my action game "hit the dodge roll to move away from a big telegraphed attack" instincts often lead to me getting wrecked when I should've just blocked. Part of it is my own fault--it's my own reflexes leading me to dodge more than block--but still, I wish it moved farther, at least. I need to learn to just stand there and block a lot more.

Almost every boss can be completely chumped once you know what to do and really know its attack patterns, but that "once you know what to do" can be a pretty big wall to climb over for some bosses. It can help to use Assess and pay attention to what the yellow text in the description says to learn how to stagger them more quickly, but some of it also just comes down to knowing when phase transitions will happen and things like that.

If you want dodge to move you around faster then just equip the Parry materia and use that, it owns. Especially on Tifa when you want to quickly get to a monster's back for bonus damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

esperterra posted:

That's always who Cloud was, which gets more and more obvious with each of his flashbacks to his time as a grunt and his childhood with Tifa. He's always been socially awkward and kind of a dick.

Hell Tifa basically outright says he was kind of a dick as a kid in this game at one point lmfao

Yeah, but it's conveyed better with the combination of voice acting and facial expressions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you want dodge to move you around faster then just equip the Parry materia and use that, it owns. Especially on Tifa when you want to quickly get to a monster's back for bonus damage.

Yeah, I'm starting to use that now and I really like it. Definitely helps a lot.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol i missed barrets first melee weapon but that claw thing owns so much. i like this weapon system so much better than just tossing away my cool looking weapon for another one with bigger numbers.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
where is the Parry materia obtained?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

It's a Chadley reward.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sapozhnik posted:

Ya boy Chadley has it. I think it’s the reward for the stagger gauge to 200% challenge.

Chadley is weird and I don’t know why he exists. Is he an android? Is he a child? Is he just small?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

The yellow materia in the church was disappointing.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

SettingSun posted:

As far as I can tell you can elect not to do sidequests but you cannot miss when they appear. IIRC after you commit Aerith to Madame M you get some sidequests (if she was your sponsor and not Sam).

Sure enough, she started talking about merc work. Thanks!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wrex Ruckus posted:

The yellow materia in the church was disappointing.

loving agreed. I spent time going back to get... that?

Is there an All materia in this game? Every time I see a blue materia I want it to be All and so far I have been disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

PT6A posted:

loving agreed. I spent time going back to get... that?

Is there an All materia in this game? Every time I see a blue materia I want it to be All and so far I have been disappointed.

Magnify, if you got it.