Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
A list of good horror movie adjacent podcasts:
-Switchblade Sisters
-Faculty of Horror

Fin

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Night of the Living Podcast is pretty good and gets some props for being the longest running horror movie podcast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gotta vouch for the forums' own Monster Craze Memoirs, as well as The Evolution of Horror.

To me, the foundation of any good movie podcast is research and/or expertise. You've gotta be significantly more informed than your audience. Having either an academic expert as the host or having someone willing to put in a lot of research and prep work makes it so that it's not just a couple of idiots rambling on about their opinions and making jokes. Unfortunately, research is hard and takes a long time so the vast majority of podcasters are unwilling to put in the work.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Throwing this out there. I just watched Rambo: Last Blood and it is a full-on slasher film with Rambo as the unstoppable monster, complete with Jason-style teleportation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
“My forty hours of research completed, I am now ready to discuss Robert the Doll. But first, a word about Squarespace.”

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Evolution of Horror has surpassed Faculty of Horror as my favorite horror podcast, but I still listen to FoH.

feedmyleg posted:

Gotta vouch for the forums' own Monster Craze Memoirs, as well as The Evolution of Horror.

To me, the foundation of any good movie podcast is research and/or expertise. You've gotta be significantly more informed than your audience. Having either an academic expert as the host or having someone willing to put in a lot of research and prep work makes it so that it's not just a couple of idiots rambling on about their opinions and making jokes. Unfortunately, research is hard and takes a long time so the vast majority of podcasters are unwilling to put in the work.

Yeah this is pretty much key, if I wanted to listen to a fan ramble on about how sweet Evil Dead is I could just listen to myself. That being said I still want the hosts to be enthusiastic about the genre. Like in recent episodes the FoH ladies have sounded more like they were just going through the motions. Some episodes sound more like lectures than I remember the show being like earlier. That could just be in my head I guess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Hereditary more like Herediscary!" Is a pretty solid line though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Horror podcasts would do well to be more like Mother May I Sleep With Podcast.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The Evolution of Horror

THEY CALLED GREEN ROOM "FOLK HORROR".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's more of a schlock podcast, so they cover a lot of horror, but I like Junk food Dinner

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
General good spooky (real life) podcasts:
- Lore
- Unexplained
- Astonishing Legends

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Sword and Scalahahahaahaha

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

AKZ posted:

THEY CALLED GREEN ROOM "FOLK HORROR".

it's a horror movie that has some folks in it, I don't see the problem

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The True Story of The Lost Boy's "Sax Man"

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The only true horror podcast comes from inside, after enough intoxicants have been ingested and you are reduced to a gibbering madman.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I guess I'm just in the minority then of people who don't find the Firefly family charming really in any way, as good guys or bad guys. Not that Zombie has to portray them as purely bad people, but the opening of 3 From Hell was a little heavy on the "it's the triumphant return of your beloved Firefly family!" but then again most Zombie movies are extremely not-for-me.

I still can't really see the Freebird scene in Devil's Rejects as anything other than a heroic final charge. Contrasted with, say, the Darth Vader scene at the end of Rogue One, which works (as an individual scene) better in my mind because Darth Vader is pretty cool even if he's the villain, whereas the Fireflys are just annoying scumbags. But I guess most people (or most people in the Horror Thead at least) seem to like them as characters. :confused:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If I want sleaze, I’d rather watch Henry than the Rob Zombie stuff. Zombie’s stuff is too polished to even really be considered sleaze. His movies are closer to music videos than something you’d find on a bootleg vhs tape.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It's nice that this dude seems at peace with it. Also, I really liked this quote:

quote:

“You always oiled up,” Cappello said “Every night with Tina, I would oil up. It’s just always what you did...It was kind of like you were wearing a shirt. You were wearing a flesh shirt that was shiny.”

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I don't listen to podcasts, but they can't be any worse than horror youtube. The best you can find are just okay making-of vignettes while they robotically read a script, but most are people talking dumb lore poo poo while doing the youtube cadence and making lovely jokes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

It's nice that this dude seems at peace with it. Also, I really liked this quote:

That was my favorite line as well.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

I don't listen to podcasts, but they can't be any worse than horror youtube. The best you can find are just okay making-of vignettes while they robotically read a script, but most are people talking dumb lore poo poo while doing the youtube cadence and making lovely jokes.

Dead Meat is pretty good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Scaredy Cats is the gold standard imo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

So what we've surmised from this is that there is not zero worthwhile horror podcasts, but there may be less than 10.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I only listen to the Tear Them Apart podcast, and that’s only because I’ve been reading Evan Dorkin’s comics since I was a teenager and could listen to that guy dork out over anything.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm glad Mr. Cappello's life is going well, I love dropping that sax-blat intro of his into a mix.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I hung out with Tim at a convention last year, and then got to start front and center while he played "I Still Believe" in full costume to a crowd of drunk horror fans. It was amazing and he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I wanna start my own podcast* but it would only be about pod people and it would be called the Pod Pod Cast.

A brick I throw through your window with a note attached

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Catfishenfuego posted:

A list of good horror movie adjacent podcasts:
-Switchblade Sisters
-Faculty of Horror

Fin

We Hate Movies isn't strictly a horror podcast, but they do horror for the entire month of October every year and occasionally do it outside of that, and they're funny as gently caress

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

And the Spooktacular remix of the WHM theme owns as well

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kermode and Mayo's Film Review is also worth a mention. They cover all film releases, not just horror, but Mark Kermode's horror credentials are about as good as they come.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I have to bring them up again, but Supercontext Podcast's horror episodes are always gold and easily the best stuff they do.

Also, they are doing episodes on Stephen King film adaptations on Patreon, which will be available to the public in May, as they are shutting down production.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I regularly pimp the "In ___ We Trust With Gourley and Rust" podcast. First season is Voorhees, second season is Myers, and they've hinted that the 3rd season (if there is one, with this virus) will be Kruger. It's a charming podcast, each episode is usually twice as long as the movie it's about, and they do research, genuinely love the movies, and are goofy and silly.

Amy Nicholson's "Halloween Unmasked" is basically the perfect Halloween podcast. It's a history lesson on John Carpenter, slashers, and plenty of other tangential information around Halloween and it's sequels.

Not strictly horror, but I also love The Action Boyz, with comedians Jon Gabrus, Ryan Stanger and Ben Rogers. As the title implies, they mainly do action movies from '77-'98, but every October they do horror movies they love. So far they've done Halloween, The Thing, New Year's Evil, The Howling, The Lost Boys, Monster Squad, They Live, Anaconda, Manhunter, and a few other horror-related films (Predator, for instance). They do zero research, but are funny as gently caress and are still pretty insightful. It's $5 on Patreon, $8 if you want to be sworn into the secret society of Shadow Wolves. (Coo-wah coo-wah coo-wah.)

Besides those, yeah, Evolution of Horror and Faculty of Horror are both good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I regularly pimp the "In ___ We Trust With Gourley and Rust" podcast.

I’ve heard this recommended a few times but never realized who did it, knowing it’s Matt Gourley and Paul Rust makes me way more interested.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’ve heard this recommended a few times but never realized who did it, knowing it’s Matt Gourley and Paul Rust makes me way more interested.

They have a similar energy, which would normally be a little lame, but in fact it's a point in their favor. They're so affable and silly that their episodes are just so fun and comforting. I've been thinking of relistening to it again, in fact.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I saw The Disappointments Room last night and it was terrible. I give tons movies (especially horror) alot of leeway before I'll say they are straight up bad but that movie was terrible. The ending sequence looked like they were trying to make an actual scary version of the Scooby Doo haunted Mansion chase scenes.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Well, now that it's the 15th, I guess I can say that I've been working on the new Peacock app for NBC Universal. And, to try and get some interest going - and to make good on my vague allusions that Burkion would be happy with the Universal Monsters coverage online - below is the list of all of the horror movies that you can find on Peacock today*.

*Assuming that you're either a Comcast Flex internet subscriber or have a Comcast set-top box**. Everyone else needs to wait until mid-July.

**Actually, that's partially a lie, too - if you're a Comcast STB customer, they're slow rolling the app out to those. You should have it by the end of the month, if not sometime next week if you're lucky.

Dracula (1931 - Spanish version)
Dracula's Daugher
Son of Dracula
Frankenstein (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
Ghost of Frankenstein
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Werewolf of London (1935)
Dr. Cyclops
The Wolf Man (1941)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
Night Monster (1942)
The Phantom of the Opera (1943)
The Mummy's Hand
The Mummy's Tomb
The Mummy's Ghost
The Mummy's Curse
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisble Man
It Came from Outer Space
The Creature Walks Among Us
Rear Window
The Brides of Dracula
Psycho (1960)
Cape Fear (1962)
The Curse of the Werewolf
The Phantom of the Opera (1962)
The Birds
The Evil of Frankenstein
Frenzy
Sleepaway Camp
Manhunter
Maximum Overdrive
Dead Ringers
The Exorcist III
Matinee
Body Bags
Jurassic Park
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
Fear (1996)
The Blair Witch Project
End of Days
Stir of Echoes
White Noise
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
American Psycho
American Psycho 2: All-American Girl
Frailty
My Little Eye
Chaos (2005)
Bug (2007)
The Hitcher (2007)
Doomsday (2008)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
The Last House on the Left (2009)
Horsemen
The Amityville Haunting
The Haunting of Whaley House
Hold Your Breath
2-Headed Shark Attack
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies
13/13/13
Mockingbird
Mercy (2014)

And if you want something a little bit more age-appropriate for the kiddies, there's a couple of choices there too:

The Mummy: Quest for the Lost Scrolls
R.L. Stine's Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls
Mostly Ghostly 2: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend?
Mostly Ghostly 3: One Night in Doom House
Monster High: Ghouls Rule
Monster High: Friday Night Frights
Monster High: Boo York, Boo York

And, while there's plenty of TV options in general, there's only a few horror-adjacent options (unless we expand that to include crime shows, in which case that number jumps up A BUNCH):

Alfred Hitchcock Hour
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Paranormal Witness
The Munsters
Unsolved Mysteries (with Robert Stack)

So, yeah, give the app a try sometime. Let me know that all of the work I've been doing recently has been worth it. I don't know which of these will show up in the free tier and which won't, but know that that is an option if you want to avoid paying yet another subscription fee as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are there commercials or do i have to pay or how does it work

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

are there commercials or do i have to pay or how does it work

There are actually 3 tiers:

- Free, ad supported (think Vudu or Pluto TV)
- $5 ad supported tier (think Hulu's non-premium option)
- $10 premium tier (commercial free, 4K content)

I don't know how much content is allowed in the free tier, but I know that there are limited episodes of everything and maybe full series runs of certain shows, and a selection of movie titles. I think they also get SOME of the "live" channels (think the Shudder live channels), but I don't believe that they get access to all of them.

The $5 and $10 tiers get access to everything, though, with the $10 tier also getting live sporting events in the future (I believe that's the plan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im confused can you just send the blu rays to my house