Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh hell yes, as I posted in here, having just watched The Thing for the first time, I'm super psyched to hear the gang talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

GrandpaPants posted:

They should have done The Thing (1982) for WLM and The Thing (2011) for WHM*.

*I have never seen the 2011 movie so I don't know if it was actually bad or not but it sure as gently caress felt unnecessary.

I don't think the 2011 film is bad enough to warrant an episode. It's actually pretty interesting in certain places and it just kinda meh at worst.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I don't think the 2011 film is bad enough to warrant an episode. It's actually pretty interesting in certain places and it just kinda meh at worst.
Andrew apparently straight up likes it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s not bad just totally unnecessary like previous people have said.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I always liked how it showed the evolution of the alien. It starts out not giving a gently caress about subtilty and murders people in full view but then it keeps getting it's rear end kicked. Then it starts to copy people but it's still not a sure thing and it still gets killed. Then it finally gets a handle on it and that leads to the 80's film.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Usually don't rewatch movies being talked about, but I think I'll make an exception for the The Thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
These guys are the best. Between their podcast and this forum, I think my $15 total delivered like a mother fucker

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I totally rewatched The Thing in anticipation of this episode.

Spoiler alert, the movie still owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I’m totally falling behind because I listen to the podcast during my drives or at the gym

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

Man I’m totally falling behind because I listen to the podcast during my drives or at the gym

Yeah, same. Having no commute is killing my podcast listening. That being said, WHM is the one podcast I make sure I still listen to whenever I can.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, same. Having no commute is killing my podcast listening. That being said, WHM is the one podcast I make sure I still listen to whenever I can.

:same:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
WHM is one of the things keeping me sane right now and I'm glad they've managed to keep the energy and quality more or less the same as they've transitioned to remote recordings.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I usually listen on my commute too now I just do it while cleaning around the house.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Does anyone know what the scandal with Chris's family that he alludes to every now and then is? I've constantly failed at googling it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Invalid Validation posted:

I usually listen on my commute too now I just do it while cleaning around the house.

My house has never been cleaner and my laundry never been this done.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's not the first time I've listened to WHM while gaming but I'm doing it a lot more these days.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I generally hate everything Whedon has done but I had a soft spot for firefly when it came out. As others have said it's largely because of the cast, not Whedons writing or worldbuilding. I don't have any desire watch it again though.

I never understood why they didnt just push Jane out of an airlock though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoubleCakes posted:

It's not the first time I've listened to WHM while gaming but I'm doing it a lot more these days.

Yeah I just listen to games that don't require audio or much thought while listening nowadays.

Roguelites are good for this, been playing a lot of Binding of Isaac while listening to podcasts.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, WHM has become my minecraft companion.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't even realize The Thing WLM was out because, for some reason, these guys have like 3 or 4 different websites (Patreon, Art 19, their main one, etc.) and they all update at different times and it's a little confusing for me sometimes. For whatever reason, the main page always seems to be the last one to update which is odd.

N-thing that this is by far my favorite podcast. I'm able to listen at work a lot and binging through all their stuff has kept me sane at a job that tests that capacity quite a lot. My coworkers think I am a complete loon since I will often spontaneously burst into laughter out of nowhere on the production floor. Nice to take a break from politics and all the horrible shitrain pelting us, especially listening to these guys deal with it right in the epicenter of NYC/C19.

I think it's funny too that a lot of these guys' catch phrases and callbacks have gradually entered into my regular vocabulary and my general discourse. I'll say things like "you keep it", "go on..." and "don't even worry about it" that I seemed to have acquired entirely by osmosis and incorporating them seems to be helping my "funny" quotient. When I gently caress up and curse, I'll do a "Oh, Gahd-DOMMIT" Wilfred Brimley and it makes me less pissed off.

Best 5 bucks I've spent in forever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't even realize The Thing WLM was out because, for some reason, these guys have like 3 or 4 different websites (Patreon, Art 19, their main one, etc.) and they all update at different times and it's a little confusing for me sometimes. For whatever reason, the main page always seems to be the last one to update which is odd.

Are you listening to podcasts right off the website? Why? Get a podcast app or if you're on a computer, there's browser based podcast players/managers.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Between being too bummed to listen to Chapo and no commute I’m also extremely behind on my Patreons. I get like 20 minutes of shower listening and a half hour of cooking so every episode takes at least two days. I haven’t even started Melr0

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Just relistened to Easy Rider 2 colon The Ride Back and it's endlessly amusing to hear Eric's contempt for that movie. He's kind of the "chill" person of the four so hearing him just be so angry about how that terrible movie poo poo all over the legacy of the original is just great.

I'd die just to drop a "...just like 9/11" on him it would be the greatest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I find it absolutely shocking that the guys have never seen Flight of the Navigator. And couldn't identify Pee Wee Herman as the voice of the alien.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Their movie knowledge seems both bottomless and shallow at the same time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you listening to podcasts right off the website? Why? Get a podcast app or if you're on a computer, there's browser based podcast players/managers.

Sometimes. But I have (I think) 3 or 4 different bookmarks between my laptop and phone as well as the Patreon app and they all offer different material at different times. It's not a big deal, really, and I'm not trying to make fuss about it. It just seems odd that the main website wouldn't be the first place to announce a new episode. I also keep my phone apps to a minimum for a variety of reasons that I won't delve into here, suffice to say I'm an :corsair: and like to keep things relatively simple to the extent that I can.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was surprised by this in The Thing episode, since they knew a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, but not that the Norwegians did try to warn the Americans about the Thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GrandpaPants posted:

I was surprised by this in The Thing episode, since they knew a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, but not that the Norwegians did try to warn the Americans about the Thing.

Eric is a goon and as we all know goons are bad at watching movies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I forget what episode it was (Robin Hood?), but at one point Brian Blessed popped up and literally not one of the four of them knew who he was, and I sat in perplexed horror as they went on an extended ten minute riff about this mysterious fat bearded guy.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Even if you are a huge fan of movies (which they are despite claiming to HATE movies) you cannot know about every actor/movie. There have just been too many of them in our history!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I just think it's surprising that they haven't seen Flash Gordon

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I do not know who Brian Blessed is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sounds like a soundcloud rapper

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Them doing a Blessed impression would just be a John Rhys Davies impression anyway, without the M-m-mooslim fears.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GoutPatrol posted:

Them doing a Blessed impression would just be a John Rhys Davies impression anyway, without the M-m-mooslim fears.

You know John Rhys Davies sucks as a person for that stuff, but I miss when that wasn't their one joke with that guy

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The only thing I know about Brian Blessed is that he voiced Boss Nass

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know John Rhys Davies sucks as a person for that stuff, but I miss when that wasn't their one joke with that guy

The Canvas episode is lowkey one of their best ones. It has it all: Davies impressions, Busey impressions, American Movie references, a terrible film student "it's SOOO deep bro" ending. I love it.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean before that it was basically just “what if Saleh was here” so it’s more of a lateral change.

“Sounds like BUUUUULLSHIT, Indy, goodbye!!” still gets an insane laugh from me though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anything coming soon for non patron plebs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MariusLecter posted:

Anything coming soon for non patron plebs?

You need to drop the zero and get with the hero