Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mom is good :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

if can't be about you it's an autobio about her!!!111

:cryin:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I've heard (I don't read it) that the webcomic Questionable Content has a trans woman in a relationship with the (cishet male) MC and that it's handled pretty well.

Nothing else comes immediately to mind -- I tend to look for transbian stuff, because, well, I relate to it more -- but I'm sure I've seen at least one or two other things that fit the bill, I'll post them here if I remember them.

QC is not good. I am in eternal hell forever.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I dunno the prevailing opinion about it in general but Boku No Girl has a initially straight male!MC who questions their attractions upon being genderbent but it's also super duper anime-mainstream-genderbender-y (atleast to start) and a bit too slapstick with it's comedy so I sometimes hesitate to recommend it as "trans" manga

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it's bad and unfunny

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
its doomed to be compared to prunus girl in my mind due to the name similarity and well, i really really like prunus girl

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://mangadex.org/title/20347
Oh this is updating again huh, speaking of the genre being discussed

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what the... since when is that a supernatural genderbender

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

it's bad and unfunny

Not emptyquoting to say, compare this:

https://mangadex.org/title/21109/kami-sama-no-ekohiiki

By the Liar Lily author. A guy dies in a road accident and a god resurrects him as a girl so he can get with the dude he loved in life.

It's funny because the newly-girled guy has several moments of HOW DO I GIRL, but then it turns into a thoughtful examination of gender roles and relationships.

Also it has a super wholesome mention of trans people JUST AS AN ASIDE without making a big deal of it. The scene goes basically, a guy and a girl are chatting, and the guy spots another girl in the distance. The girl asks him who the other girl is.

:v: "She's my ex-boyfriend."
"Wait what."
:v: "I'm bi, it's no big deal."
"No, go back to the 'ex-boyfriend' bit."
:v: "Oh, she's trans, when we were together I still thought she was a guy. Then she transitioned, I was ok with it, but in the end it didn't work out."

Ayumi Komura does good gay stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

what the... since when is that a supernatural genderbender

ok b*tch, sure it is a supernatural body swap that involves different genders instead of a supernatural genderbender

Next dis going to tell me that part of the appeal is the changes to one's own body and that a swap skips that

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 14, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok b*tch, sure it is a supernatural body swap that involves different genders instead of a supernatural genderbender

Next dis going to tell me that part of the appeal is the changes to one's own body and that a swap skips that

im sorry for misreading the tags??? it just seemed like a v normal manga when i read 2 chapters of it 5 years ago n not something that would have a supernatural premise. that makes it vaguely more interesting though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a ghost swaps them in the first chapter and my reply was joking...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 14, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oh wow i had it confused for some really generic 'fujo x yuri otaku' thing... oh wow its by the useless princesses author? interesting interesting

my apologies to my friend, snooze cruise

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm going to ban discussion of questionable content in this thread purely on the basis of I was reading that poo poo back in middle school
please don't make me remember it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what about girly

disclaimer i do not remember it in detail

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

what about girly

wasnt the girly author a goon or something

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

what about girly

I never read that much so it's fair game imo

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The only ban is against things that explicitly make me remember my middle school years

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
vvvv e: Space Flower is right. Fuggedaboudit, Bees. I said nothin'. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 14, 2020

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
wouldn't that be calling all of them up to mind along with middle school

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

wasnt the girly author a goon or something

no idea tbh, i was following it before i ever knew about sa and i've since fallen off webcomics so i never went to bss or other threads that might bring it up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but i guess now I'm going to reread girly in 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I post too much in this thread but I was thinking about ciconia when they cry and that has cool gay characters and stuff about gender so I thought I would mention it in here tho prob the majority of posters here know it already

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

I post too much in this thread but I was thinking about ciconia when they cry and that has cool gay characters and stuff about gender so I thought I would mention it in here tho prob the majority of posters here know it already

Epic Thissery.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Meow.................... :sob:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm hesitant to ask but what is wlw?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
women loving women

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Witches licking witches

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Witches licking witches

Nice Lambda x Bern fanfic title.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

let's all discuss the wotch

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the wotch to me is something I never read as a teen but the art style was innately familiar to me due to things I was looking at then aping it's style

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2020

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Thanks, discovering new acronyms always feels like stepping into a minefield.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

the wotch to me is something I never read as a teen but the art style was innately familiar to me due to things I was looking at then aping it's style

it might have been one of the earliest things i can think of where i went 'wow, what if...girl?' but not knowing anything about being trans lol

that said it was entirely a fetish comic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it looks more like a newspaper comic to me unless its like, the later style was something people emulated instead

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arianya posted:

I dunno the prevailing opinion about it in general but Boku No Girl has a initially straight male!MC who questions their attractions upon being genderbent but it's also super duper anime-mainstream-genderbender-y (atleast to start) and a bit too slapstick with it's comedy so I sometimes hesitate to recommend it as "trans" manga

I read some of it during a vacation on the recommendation of another trans woman before I decided to transition, and was very confused about why it was recommended since it relies on the tenets that someone wanting to gently caress the protagonist is an inherently funny framework for a joke, that each volume or so needs a new pervert to be introduced that will repeat this set-up instead of settling for merely one or two, and that this is so funny that it can serve as the only joke for chapter upon chapter.

It does not work at all, to say the least. I am worse off for having read it since the misery of going through its content looking for anything worthwhile only piled onto the fact that my dumb animal brain howled, "But what if *you*, dear reader, were born a girl and could therefore date any man you please and not get yelled at for it?", all the while during reading in response to the gender-bender antics of the manga. At least Ranma 1/2 gave me some good times in addition to poking a stick at my gender problems.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 15, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arianya posted:

It kinda does the biotruth thing where the main character switches from liking a girl to a guy because of a gender swap, doesn't it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I am worse off for having read it since the misery of going through its content looking for anything worthwhile only piled onto the fact that my dumb animal brain howled, "But what if *you*, dear reader, were born a girl and could therefore date any man you please and not get yelled at for it?", all the while during reading in response to the gender-bender antics of the manga. At least Ranma 1/2 gave me some good times in addition to poking a stick at my gender problems.
Jesus lighten up

Also ranma is intensely unfunny

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I liked Ranma a lot when I read it, especially since there was the whole egg thing going on in my life back then. I don't know if I would enjoy it if I read it now (it's been at least a decade since I touched it last), because...

1. It's a product of its time. It's extremely late 80s - early 90s.

2. Takahashi is extremely unable to just end a story when it reaches its natural conclusion (see also: Inuyasha). It just kept going on and on and on and on.

3. I've read so much Ranma fan fiction. SO MUCH. I probably have a highly idealised version of the characters in mind, based on what the fandom consensus is, and I don't want to ruin them by re-reading the canon version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I enjoyed Ranma for like the first 3-4 seasons like 20 years ago, but it never really gave me a reason to go back and actually finish watching the show/start reading the manga.