Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. It's the switch from in-engine to FMV. I get it, but it does jar a bit. I actually think that the in engine stuff looks good enough that the FMV was unnecessary, but clearly Square didn't for some reason or other. (There's probably a good reason for this, but I'm no game development expert.)

I figured as much since it's how pre-rendered cutscenes have always worked, it was just extra jarring because I haven't noticed it at any other point in the game so it seems like this is the first pre-rendered video (some of the wall market stuff where you don't have weapons could be too I guess, since there's no easy way to tell when equipment isn't visible) thrown into the game at ~25 hours in and almost at the end. Super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I figured as much since it's how pre-rendered cutscenes have always worked, it was just extra jarring because I haven't noticed it at any other point in the game so it seems like this is the first pre-rendered video thrown into the game at ~25 hours in and almost at the end. Super weird.

There are some other prerendered scenes including the opening cutscene (the prerendered part ends when the screen goes white from the train smoke) and in Chapter 12 when the plate falls. Those are the other big ones up to that point.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Question about what I assume is the last boss: “hitting him with a certain attack when his guard is down will instantly stagger him” - I assume this means “hit him when he’s reloading”, but is there a clue in the game as to what that “certain attack” is? Or just any attack will do?

that's not the last boss, and the attack in question is apparently Braver, although I haven't tried it myself.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pollyanna posted:

Question about what I assume is the last boss: “hitting him with a certain attack when his guard is down will instantly stagger him” - I assume this means “hit him when he’s reloading”, but is there a clue in the game as to what that “certain attack” is? Or just any attack will do?

Not sure if it was what's implied, but that boss melted to my level 2 limit break.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Not sure if it was what's implied, but that boss melted to my level 2 limit break.

Where do the level 2 limits come from?

I've gotten just past the pillar and still only have the one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I might be misremembering, but I think it was the reward for the Coliseum battles

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ymgve posted:

I might be misremembering, but I think it was the reward for the Coliseum battles

They are, and you can get Cloud and Aerith's the moment you can do free battles there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ah that's the issue then, I never did the free battles.

I'll have to go back and do that then!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SettingSun posted:

They are, and you can get Cloud and Aerith's the moment you can do free battles there.

Also note that this is the only point in the game you can get Aerith's, when you advance the plot after it you can't go back with her anymore and have to wait for chapter select

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ymgve posted:

It's not clear, it tells you that hitting them while dancing will make a clone, and "disposing the clone will allow you to handle the main enemy effectively" or something, which I interpreted as "the clone will be annoying and you won't be able to focus on the real enemy unless it is gone"

I'm reading it in regards to how I've perceived the battle system to work with everything that the game's told me and I've read. Any time it says something is effective it's always been massively beneficial to you whether it's adding greatly to the stagger gauge, throwing the enemy off balance or heavy damage.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
There is no penalty for changing the combat difficulty to Classic or Easy, and as far as I can tell, no trophies tied to playing on Normal. There is only the one trophy for beating all chapters on Hard which you can't do until after you beat the game once anyway.

After the umpteenth time I lost 2 ATB bars on an ability that got cancelled by an attack from an enemy I couldn't even see, I just switched it to Classic and enjoyed it much more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

There is literally only one attack you're assured to have at that point. It's that one.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finished. I adored the original and I adored this remake just the same. They overwhelmingly exceeded my expectations, and they were really high, they knocked it out of the park imho. The only thing I didn't love was that it ended (but I loved the ending and can't wait to see where they go from here.)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I also started enjoying the game more after putting it on Easy. I got by on Normal well enough, but some fights were just frustrating and ruining my fun. Now instead of spamming cures I'm kicking rear end and getting to enjoy the story

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao I love how chapter 18 immediately transitions from a pretty pitch perfect recreation of one of the most iconic sequences of FF7 (the escape from Shinra HQ) to BUCKLE THE gently caress UP, BECAUSE poo poo'S GETTING WILD NOW SON

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Going to start 18 and finish up the game in a little bit here. I have some thoughts on 17 already, but I'm going to save 'em til I'm done.

I will make one big complaint right now though (beginning of ch 18) the gently caress is this purple bullshit on the ground, one of my most vivid memories of FFVII is going through Shin-Ra Tower following that eerie trail of red to the president's office, and I'm worried that's been cut entirely along with other scenes I loved from the Tower that have already been replaced!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrNutt posted:

Lmao I love how chapter 18 immediately transitions from a pretty pitch perfect recreation of one of the most iconic sequences of FF7 (the escape from Shinra HQ) to BUCKLE THE gently caress UP, BECAUSE poo poo'S GETTING WILD NOW SON

I knew something was going down as soon as the "you cannot record this scene" prompt came up. It's like holding up a sign saying "We're off the rails now".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

GoGoGadget posted:

I also started enjoying the game more after putting it on Easy. I got by on Normal well enough, but some fights were just frustrating and ruining my fun. Now instead of spamming cures I'm kicking rear end and getting to enjoy the story

Easy mode crew whatup.

Seriously if normal is not doing it for you try easy, you'll have so much more fun.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I do appreciate that easy difficulty doesn't gimp your rewards at all. I also appreciate that when you select battles in the Colosseum you can also pick a separate difficulty straight for that battle.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just started chapter 15 will i be able to finish the chadley quests later? i dont know how to get 200% stagger and lol at mastering like 12 materias.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tifa's triange combo ups the stagger gauge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ASenileAnimal posted:

just started chapter 15 will i be able to finish the chadley quests later? i dont know how to get 200% stagger and lol at mastering like 12 materias.

Chapter 16 and the very beginning of 17, I think, is the last chapter story wise where you can still interact with Chadley. Once you beat the game tho you unlock chapter select along with the hard mode, so if you're worried about completion nothing is fully missable.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Once I found out about triangle -> dive kick every single trash fight became trivial. Tifa is a warmachine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was about to ask that, I'm in Chapter 14 right now and it's kind of seeming like this is the "do all your poo poo" section of the game before the final run. Leviathan is the first optional boss in the game where I just got hosed. I need a better strategy.

One thing I wanted to ask about the beginning of the chapter: Does Cloud always get the "you can't fall in love with me" speech from Aeris? I don't remember anything like that from the original.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress I thought this game was almost over five hours ago.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wait until you hear about chi trap

exquisite tea posted:

I was about to ask that, I'm in Chapter 14 right now and it's kind of seeming like this is the "do all your poo poo" section of the game before the final run.

One thing I wanted to ask about the beginning of the chapter: Does Cloud always get the "you can't fall in love with me" speech from Aeris? I don't remember anything like that from the original.
As far as I know, yeah. And no it wasn't in the original

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

canepazzo posted:

Once I found out about triangle -> dive kick every single trash fight became trivial. Tifa is a warmachine.

I mainly use Tifa because she's a loving beast, especially if you slap deadly dodge and parry on her and get all of her abilities unlocked. Using Barret and Cloud to get that stagger meter up and then slamming the poo poo out of a cluster of enemies with her triangles and then an ability is just too drat satisfying every time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
SAM!! SPEAK UP!!! Christ!!!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Goddammit Barret (Chapter 14) All the way up to the Shiny Pillar of Hope. "You ready to go? No turning back." "Yes." "Are you *sure*? I just get the *strange feeling* you have *things* you haven't *done yet*." ARRRRRRRGH

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

SAM!! SPEAK UP!!! Christ!!!

Oh my god I thought I was the only one who thought Sam’s voice levels were way lower than everyone else’s.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Uhhh Wall Market is going to give me a stroke. So many lights and tight tiny corridors for Cloud to cram his freaky muscular arms through.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cloud's physique in FF7R is power twink at best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I was about to ask that, I'm in Chapter 14 right now and it's kind of seeming like this is the "do all your poo poo" section of the game before the final run. Leviathan is the first optional boss in the game where I just got hosed. I need a better strategy.

Answering with a general tone of plot change spoiler.

there may be a good reason she says that in this game as her and Red and Sephiroth understand the point of the shadows

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

Once you finish the game you get something that makes mastering Materia significantly faster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone have tips for how to spec each weapon or what kinds of things to focus on? I've mostly been beelining for new materia slots and then just increasing whichever attack power the weapon seems best at, sometimes with special things like Tifa's auto-concentration procs. But now that I'm at weapon level 5 I don't know what the best use of my points is, like if I should respec to spend more points on the higher weapon level nodes instead of the lower ones. I'm not quite sure what's the most efficient.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

As far as I know, yeah. And no it wasn't in the original

I didn't. I got a scene with Tifa instead where Cloud hugs her as she cries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aeris's house is a palace compared to the rest in the slums.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CottonWolf posted:

I believe there's also a third scene with Barret that's can show there as well

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Supposedly it depends on what side quests you do and certain dialogue options? There are apparently two other cutscenes that can happen at that point in the game, either a scene with Tifa or a scene with Barrett.

As for that scene in particular It didn’t happen in the original, no. There is a somewhat similar emotional beat that is hit in the original if you go on the Ferris wheel with Aerith though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, that is very interesting. I'm guessing it's dependent on some choices you've made earlier.