Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean it's not like the source material makes the Atreides much more colourful.

The book sucks too is an even worse excuse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah the designs seem a little bland at the moment, tbh if I was directing this I would be trying to steal as much as I could get away with from 40k (with Lynch filling in the gaps)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

edit: that tbh was not meant to mock the guy above me, who has a pretty great point about going hog in other designs tho

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mmmmmm now this is Dune.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

The book sucks too is an even worse excuse!

It's, good, actually, and everything on Caladan is a miniscule part of the story so who cares.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

But I love stupid hats in sci-fi :smith:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Mmmmmm now this is Dune.

Looks good but the more I see those gloves the more they bother me.

quote:

"Properly suited, your forehead cap tight, all seals in order, your major water loss is through the palms of your hands," Kynes said. "You can wear suit gloves if you're not using your hands for critical work, but most Fremen in the open desert rub their hands with the juice from the leaves of the creosote bush. It inhibits perspiration."

Skipping the face coverings make sense for a movie but those gloves are just dumb.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

holy gently caress they finally got the eyes right

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Zurui posted:

holy gently caress they finally got the eyes right

that VF piece said they "glow" so I'm not going to celebrate until I see a trailer at least. Even that still looks to have too much white in her whites.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think they straightened and colored Zendaya's hair or she's in a wig?

FBS posted:

that VF piece said they "glow" so I'm not going to celebrate until I see a trailer at least. Even that still looks to have too much white in her whites.

:biotruths:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

On the third, mutated hand,

Think you mean, "On the gripping hand"

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

crossposting from the GBS Dune thread: BR 2049 first look vs final frames

Unless you really hate what we've seen so far I'd say don't worry.

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only clothing that really mattered or was really talked about in the first book was the Fremen suit and the costumes in the Lynch movie took some extremely big liberties and I always felt they were not really in line with the book's bleakness.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

FBS posted:

Looks good but the more I see those gloves the more they bother me.

Skipping the face coverings make sense for a movie but those gloves are just dumb.

If you look in her hand, she appears to be holding a mask, so they probably haven’t completely skipped them.

Agreed on the gloves. You can buy tactic:lol: gloves with the same padded knuckles now. I don’t know what else they should do, but I’m not really a fan.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you look in her hand, she appears to be holding a mask, so they probably haven’t completely skipped them.

Agreed on the gloves. You can buy tactic:lol: gloves with the same padded knuckles now. I don’t know what else they should do, but I’m not really a fan.

you can see the mask in this shot here:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Prolonged Priapism posted:

crossposting from the GBS Dune thread: BR 2049 first look vs final frames

Unless you really hate what we've seen so far I'd say don't worry.

Does Villeneuve have Roger Deakins on board for this, though?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Does Villeneuve have Roger Deakins on board for this, though?

Greig Fraser.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Fraser did Rogue One, which looked great, and Lion, which was nominated for the cinematography Oscar and BAFTA in 2016.

Villeneuve's films have all been visually very strong, he has a good eye himself. Deakins would have been the dream but I think it's in great hands.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He also lensed Bright Star, which is a gorgeous movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4Kn1P8CFw

This is one of those problems that has gotten worse with the advent of being able to affect color and lighting so much in post; what ends up being taken as set pics leads to everything looking kind of flat because that’s how everything’s being captured on set in the first place, with a lot of fine-tuning done later. So things come off drab in the early marketing materials, like these write-ups of a set visit in a major publication. Then by the time the trailers are hitting things that show up in magazines and on websites have actually been through the process and finally these shots resemble what the end movie will look like.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AFewBricksShy posted:

Someone found them already. They’re Oakley Factory Pilot gloves.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Come on, what's not to love about that? Spraypainting overdesigned off-the-shelf consumer products is a staple of science-fiction filmmaking.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I have a feeling this board in particular is going to spend a lot of time coming to grips with our own internalized expectations vs what we've been lowkey indoctrinated into thinking it "should" look like based on the Lynch film. I'm doing my best to consciously un-learn all the Lynch stuff before this as best I can, because I also grew up playing the Westwood Studios RTS games which used his movie extremely heavily in every aspect.

Bring it on Denis!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jimbot posted:

Not really a fan of the costuming. It's just so... generic. Has no personality.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1250124710953619456

Could be that the really bad lighting is obscuring the details or there aren't any to speak of.

"Big young adult lit energy" lmao that's savage

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't see anything wrong with these costumes but I do hope members of the imperial court have insanely elaborate costumes (if we see them in this film). They're literally decadent nobility constantly reminding everyone else that they're better than them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kassad posted:

I don't see anything wrong with these costumes but I do hope members of the imperial court have insanely elaborate costumes (if we see them in this film). They're literally decadent nobility constantly reminding everyone else that they're better than them.

That, and I hope the Atreides have their own fancy costumes at the dinner party scenes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dune is literally "MUSLIMS. IN. SPAAACE!!!" would it have killed them to at least try to give things a bit of mid-east flair? Make the Fremen dress like Bedoins. The Sarduakar should be High Tech Jannisaries. Give the nobility colorful Turbans and poo poo. Instead everyone looks like their from the same generic unadorned gray plastic world all Hollywood Sci-Fi for the past 15 years has been. That Atreides armor is terrible.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

I have a feeling this board in particular is going to spend a lot of time coming to grips with our own internalized expectations vs what we've been lowkey indoctrinated into thinking it "should" look like based on the Lynch film. I'm doing my best to consciously un-learn all the Lynch stuff before this as best I can, because I also grew up playing the Westwood Studios RTS games which used his movie extremely heavily in every aspect.

Bring it on Denis!

Which reminds me, who wants to bet EA will crap out a Dune skinned version of this abomination?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I actually like the armour - it's a nice mix of futuristic body armour with slightly more classical looking shoulders/gorgets, with a nice undercurrent of jackbooted thug.

The plain black uniforms are pretty bland,ngl. In an ideal world they'd have given it to Tarsem Singh to go nuts with, but i guess he was too busy making a dark and gritty reboot of the Wizard of Oz.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Off-the-shelf gloves for the heroes doesn't compare favorably to Lord of the Rings though in terms of level of commitment and energy on the production.

I say this because people on twitter compared it to LOTR.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Off-the-shelf gloves for the heroes doesn't compare favorably to Lord of the Rings though in terms of level of commitment and energy on the production.

I say this because people on twitter compared it to LOTR.

I can see that they both occupy a similar niche, one fantasy, the other sci-fi of an all-encompassing world created from the ground up.

A lot of sci-fi tv/film media is based in the not too distant future with lots of 'here and now' elements just extrapolated up. Dune is a complete world so far in the future that any cultural touchstones we might have are long gone (ignoring the fact that you still have names like Duncan Idaho in there), so there is a reasonable expectation that the universe displayed on screen should have the same level of everything being unrecognisable to us. Barely altered store-bought stuff showing up on screen feels a little cheap, honestly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I actually like the armour - it's a nice mix of futuristic body armour with slightly more classical looking shoulders/gorgets, with a nice undercurrent of jackbooted thug.

The plain black uniforms are pretty bland,ngl. In an ideal world they'd have given it to Tarsem Singh to go nuts with, but i guess he was too busy making a dark and gritty reboot of the Wizard of Oz.

Singh has only directed one movie since Eiko Ishioka (the costume designer who did all his movies from The Cell to Mirror, Mirror, as well as Coppola’s Dracula and Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters) died, and it didn’t have any elaborate costuming at all

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The level of dedication that went into Lord of the Rings was just stunning. You know the chainmail in the costume department? Four guys worked on nothing but making chainmail, for three years, to supply the production. They wore their fingerprints off. Frodo's mithril chainmail probably would have looked good enough in steel, but they decided to electroplate it with silver to give it an otherworldly shine. The CG model of Sauron's tower Barad-Dur? A modeler did that on his own time on his Christmas break. They found out the Pelennor Field location was covered in rabbit holes and unsuitable for shooting horses in motion, so did they do it in studio on green screen? No, they *trucked in sod and filled in every hole on the field*.

And now an unrelated production 20 years later wants to use store-bought gloves? I guess I shouldn't judge them for it but I'm kinda judging them for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
LOTR is the exception, though. Even the Star Wars movies are constantly using real-world items as the base of props and they have way bigger budgets than Dune. Maybe it's just that I spend way too much time on prop making forums watching people excitedly track down original costume and prop sources to make their own replicas, but this is a total non-issue. It's standard for how filmmaking works 99% of the time. And it's cool! It embodies the DIY spirit of practical effects.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think what's rubbing me the wrong way about the costumes is that they look mass-produced, and mass production seems at odds with the feudal setting - in fact it seems more in line with pre-Jihad "machine thinking" I guess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

galagazombie posted:

Dune is literally "MUSLIMS. IN. SPAAACE!!!" would it have killed them to at least try to give things a bit of mid-east flair? Make the Fremen dress like Bedoins. The Sarduakar should be High Tech Jannisaries. Give the nobility colorful Turbans and poo poo. Instead everyone looks like their from the same generic unadorned gray plastic world all Hollywood Sci-Fi for the past 15 years has been. That Atreides armor is terrible.

Freme are Zensunni, they should have some japanese aesthetics as well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Clipperton posted:

I think what's rubbing me the wrong way about the costumes is that they look mass-produced, and mass production seems at odds with the feudal setting - in fact it seems more in line with pre-Jihad "machine thinking" I guess.

Sietches had all kinds of mass production activity including stillsuit manufacturing

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just loving LOL at all these petty costume complaints.

The wardrobe and armor rules.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Sietches had all kinds of mass production activity including stillsuit manufacturing

Was it mass production, though? I always envisaged it as more of a workshop/atelier thing.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Clipperton posted:

The political system is feudal but it's still an advanced society with giant factories on wheels, nuclear weapons, airplanes, spaceships and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

The political system is feudal but it's still an advanced society with giant factories on wheels, nuclear weapons, airplanes, spaceships and so on.

Sure, but again, I saw them as made by craftsmen in guilds rather than a bunch of guys punching the clock on the ornithopter assembly line. Bespoke nukes :v:

Just seems to fit with the feudal setting and rejection of "machine thinking" more to me