Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Can I get a recommendation for games that are satisfying to play in 5-10min bursts? I would like something with a little meat, that builds towards an eventual ending. Super Hydrorah was loving amazing for this, fantastic game, but I'm not necessarily looking for another shmup. Most stuff that I'm into requires a bit of settling in time to really get going for a play sesh. I thought turn based rpgs might be good, but sometimes it takes 5min just to get my bearings.

Nuclear Throne is great for frenetic bursts of action, with character and gear unlocks to chase. Akane is another good one for short runs... since that's usually how long you'll live anyways.

Goblin Sword is a basic platformer with small levels that you can do a few at a time... nothing fancy, but still pretty fun.

Oh and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
How well does Divinity: Original Sin II play on the Switch, thread? Framerate above 30? Controls?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

enojy posted:

The sequel is also on sale for pennies, would that be a better bet? Or both? It looks cute and is apparently a puzzle game, so I'd throw a few bucks at that!

I've heard the second one is pretty interesting. It's apparently like a metroidvania where there are no equipment based roadblocks, it's all just knowledge based. So instead of having to find a new weapon to get past a door, you just need a full understanding of the ruleset and environmental interactions of say, frogs, for example.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Can I get a recommendation for games that are satisfying to play in 5-10min bursts? I would like something with a little meat, that builds towards an eventual ending. Super Hydrorah was loving amazing for this, fantastic game, but I'm not necessarily looking for another shmup. Most stuff that I'm into requires a bit of settling in time to really get going for a play sesh. I thought turn based rpgs might be good, but sometimes it takes 5min just to get my bearings.

It's not really story heavy, but the Switch port of the PS Vita puzzle game GunHouse is on sale in the eshop for 99 cents right now. It's like half block puzzler, half tower defense. Weird enough to waste some time with!

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 15, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

10.0 seems to have fixed the issue where your Switch would get warm in sleep mode if it was docked while an Ethernet adapter was plugged in. At least on mine.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Another game that might fit into the "good in short bursts" category if rpgs are just a little too much might be

:sever:SEVERED:sever:

which is a touchscreen based action rpg/dungeon crawler by the makers of Guacamelee. The main combat mechanic involves using the touchscreen to aim sword slashes at enemy weakspots, usually while juggling multiple enemies from all sides. Handle an enemy well and you can lop off their extraneous bits and organs for later consumption, like some sort of body horror fruit ninja. I'm not entirely sure why this game flew so low under the radar? The art direction and music are really good, and it's currently 70% off in the eshop, putting it at under $5. Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ygx4zaMhkk

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Oh thank goodness for remapping. I wanted to play Terraria on the switch because I loved it on the 3DS. I also got to set up my switch on my TV for the first time! It's rad. A bit annoying because my TV only has one HDMI port, but I saw what splitting it involves and will just accept a walk to the TV.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Squiddycat posted:

I really like Enter The Gungeon but I feel it's way too awkward to play on a Switch. A Lite, at least

Requires a level of precision I can't quite master with twin sticks

Did you try messing with the auto-aim settings? That might help and make things a bit more comfy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Just got DQ XI. Not played any others in the series but played FF1-9 as a kid. Do people recommend 2D or 3D mode? I'll be playing it on a TV rather than handheld if that makes any difference.
The 3D cutscenes are really nice looking, while 2D mode is just old school marching sprites in a kind of conspicuous way cause they'll talk about things you can see in the CG but not in 2D. I guess if you really like SNES style RPGs its fine, but its definitely a game made for 3D first and foremost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzOLsMoojQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have long fingers ("guitar/piano playing hands") so playing Enter/Exit the Gungeon on a Lite means I have to cradle the unit in an extremely precarious and specific way that means playing more than 45 minutes at a time would cause cramping

But they're really good 45 minutes

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

negativeneil posted:

How well does Divinity: Original Sin II play on the Switch, thread? Framerate above 30? Controls?

I haven't gotten to it personally so I can't be specific, but I remember some people talking it up a while back saying it was good. At the very least, it was enough to convince me to get it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Rogue aces is the best modern horizontal shmup currently available.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

I wanted to love this way more than I do.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm not sure we're playing the same shmups, because that's a pretty big claim.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 15, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Broforce is an absolutely fantastic game that’s tons of fun and at 3.50 dollars is a must have, it’s fantastic go get it!!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

lol

http://www.ofcr.co.jp/ofcr/ImportantNotice_en.html

The jist, from Twitter. "OFCR demanded improvements from the licensee (Planet Entertainment) which were ignored & they also released a PS4 version that they weren't licensed for, so OFCR terminated the license & is suing."

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

precision posted:

I have long fingers ("guitar/piano playing hands") so playing Enter/Exit the Gungeon on a Lite means I have to cradle the unit in an extremely precarious and specific way that means playing more than 45 minutes at a time would cause cramping

But they're really good 45 minutes

The patch finally dropped for Exit btw. The new configuration options make it much more fun to play. Also I know jumping in the game is basically a roll but it’s still jarring I can’t shoot coming from stuff like Contra.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Social Animal posted:

The patch finally dropped for Exit btw. The new configuration options make it much more fun to play. Also I know jumping in the game is basically a roll but it’s still jarring I can’t shoot coming from stuff like Contra.

Oh hell yeah, finally!

And yeah, not being able to shoot in mid air keeps tripping me up. Some bosses, you have to jump like nonstop and it makes their mountain of HP seem even worse

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bushisms.txt posted:

The Silver Snail posted:

I'm not sure we're playing the same shmups, because that's a pretty big claim.

Woah I like Rogue Aces but it's more of a horizontal pseudo WW2 aerial dogfighter than horizonal shmup. Like there's 8 way firing, fuel consumption and objectives you have to destroy. Not to mention that the camera tends to swing around and gives you a better view of what's in front of the plane rather than behind it, much like if you were piloting a plane from that era, it would be harder to turn around in the pilots seat. I'm not trying to define shmup but the word has connotations when invoked. Missions are definitely bite sized and appropriate for quickplay.

Rolling Gunner is a pretty good standard shmup on Switch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I know Disaster Report 4 is janky and all that, but I don't really care about that stuff. Is it interesting?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rogue aces use of screen to create tension with the procedurally generated landasses is pretty innovative. And the 'analog' controls add a level of mechanics and immersion that take it to the next level. Don't know if it's technically a shmup but it's real good.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

precision posted:

So I know Disaster Report 4 is janky and all that, but I don't really care about that stuff. Is it interesting?

have you tried the demo? i checked it out and i thought it gave me a fair impression of the game. I didn't end up buying.

This review seemed like a decent overview:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/disaster_report_4_summer_memories

Basically seems like lots of interesting Japanese stuff and some quirky sidequests, but lots of wandering around, coupled with bad graphics and atrocious framerate.

I can see buying it for the curiosity factor but $60 is steep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ohhhh for some reason I thought it was only like $20 lol, yeah I'll wait on that one

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bushisms.txt posted:

Rogue aces use of screen to create tension with the procedurally generated landasses is pretty innovative. And the 'analog' controls add a level of mechanics and immersion that take it to the next level. Don't know if it's technically a shmup but it's real good.

:hellyeah: now this I can get behind

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

precision posted:

Ohhhh for some reason I thought it was only like $20 lol, yeah I'll wait on that one

I'd probably go for PS4 or PC as well, the Switch port looks real bad

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

NeuroVoider is on sale. Lots of weapons, explosions, and an awesome soundtrack by Dan Terminus. I like gambling for better parts and guns between levels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

repiv posted:

nintendo 4ds confirmed

Finally Nintendo gives us time travel

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Takoluka posted:

Mistover is interesting. It's different from Darkest Dungeon in a lot of ways, and there are some design philosophies that I just find extremely frustrating. I never feel like there are enough resources for me to get through an entire area, and if I leave early, it affects the Doomsday clock really badly. It's not a bad game, but I feel like I'm just not entirely learning the mechanics yet. Also, there are male characters, such as a werewolf guy and a samurai.

Overall, it seems to be a DD-like with anime, and if anime in general bothers you, you'd best just stick to DD itself. It's got depth in different ways, but it feels way too difficult for its own good. I do know it recently got a patch and DLC featuring Faust from Guilty Gear, so I don't know where it stands right now.

I guess what I really want is some gruff voice to give me ominous precautions every time I win, and ominous encouragements every time I lose.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A Bag of Milk posted:

Into the Breach has short levels by design, though it does suffer from"one more turn" if you really like it.

Tetris 99 if you're online doesn't take long per match and it's Tetris!

Maybe Baba Is You. You won't finish a puzzle in a one sitting but you can tinker away at it?

Maybe Captain Toad, though I didn't think much of the game. The levels are short and easy but the game's not usually cheap to get.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tetris 99 is more dangerous than Into The Breach in my experience. It's like I'm just gonna play one game and oh poo poo an hour has passed.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know they've been posted several times in multiple threads, but I won't be able to find them so I'm paging our resident Kirby experts to ask about Star Allies Lore. Assuming Kirby and Meta Knight are the same sort of being (Meta Knight without a mask super looks like Kirby) are then to think they're the same thing as Void Termina, since when you're swallowed you fight a thing that also looks like Kirby? And are they then all linked to Dark Matter and 02?. Also I have no desire to go through the FTP stuff in Kirby Clash, so how's that related, if at all?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Void Termina is a primordial nth-dimensional being capable of incarnation as any number of creatures. Its appendages and offspring include Dark Matter and 02 and Kirby has been fighting them all franchise long. If a being of Void Termina's species is exposed to positive energy during its incarnation period, it might incarnate as a Kirby. This is how Gooey happened and, presumably, how Kirby happened too.

Meta Knight and Galacta Knight may or may not be Kirbies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
As for Kirby Clash, one thing got revealed in it. Galacta Knight was one of the 4 heroes that sealed away Void Termina. He used to have the title of Aeon Hero. The Jamba spears are a part of one of his attacks in that game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i will read every post about kirby lore

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know about any of that but I'm pretty sure the English dub of the Kirby anime is the only canon. King Dedede talks like Boss Hog, Metaknight is a Hispanic Knight, and Kirby is a brain damaged child.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Meta Knight and Little Mac are the only good Latino representation in Nintendo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

i will read every post about kirby lore

Same. It's crazy how much more detailed and consistent it is to pretty much any other Nintendo franchise.

DoctorWhat posted:

Void Termina is a primordial nth-dimensional being capable of incarnation as any number of creatures. Its appendages and offspring include Dark Matter and 02 and Kirby has been fighting them all franchise long. If a being of Void Termina's species is exposed to positive energy during its incarnation period, it might incarnate as a Kirby. This is how Gooey happened and, presumably, how Kirby happened too.

Meta Knight and Galacta Knight may or may not be Kirbies.

Araxxor posted:

As for Kirby Clash, one thing got revealed in it. Galacta Knight was one of the 4 heroes that sealed away Void Termina. He used to have the title of Aeon Hero. The Jamba spears are a part of one of his attacks in that game.

Thanks. I can't take all the Juh and Jamba language stuff seriously. It makes me think of Jambalaya, which is tasty food, not bad guy stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m a 32 year old man whose has played probably 13 out of 15 Kirby games and I seriously just today learned there was lore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bust Rodd posted:

Meta Knight and Little Mac are the only good Latino representation in Nintendo

Pretty sure Little Mac is meant to be Italian-American. (since he's basically a short Rocky)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks. I can't take all the Juh and Jamba language stuff seriously. It makes me think of Jambalaya, which is tasty food, not bad guy stuff.

I mean you picked the wrong franchise if you don't want tons of food themed names. (other wrong choices there include Dragon Ball)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3....2.....1......GO GO GO

To the eshop to buy Broforce because it is a fantastic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

What are some of the highlights of the Spring sale I should check out?