Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm reading a social justice book called To Serve Man

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scope posted:

Do you have to show your pilot's license if you fly in?

yeah, because you can also just drive to the place and i don't think the waitresses are tuned into the CTAF

syntaxrigger posted:

Wait what?!?! people like the smell of gasoline?!?!?

in small amounts, like the whiff you get when you first open a gas can or take the hose out of your car, it's quite pleasant. it doesn't actually smell good, per se, but somehow you still kinda like it. the fruit-odors-but-not-quite-fruit is a fitting explanation for me.

it gets overpowering pretty fast if you have like a bucket of the stuff though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they put something different in avgas though (beyond the lead) because avgas smells like farts.

syntaxrigger posted:

and the dead body is described as "sickly sweet" ? I never know how to parse this other than 'the dead person smell'

i never really got that one either tbh. there is a gross smell of putrefaction and i guess "sweet" would be the closest, in that it doesn't smell like idk burning or acid or poop or whatever, but it's not really sweet. it's just gross and...soft? like where something like vinegar or ammonia are really sharp, this is the opposite of that.

when i hear "sickly sweet" i mostly think of, like, candies that are way too sugary, but i think the correct term for that is "cloying."

incidentally can you smell ammonia? that one is so powerful it seems like more of a physiological reaction than an odor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

apparently the reason we like the smell of gasoline and benzene and other solvents is because those chemicals trigger many of the same receptors that are triggered by ripe fruit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

You haven't taken enough psychedelics if you think you've seen every colour

I’ve yet to see a new colour, but deeeeep saturated versions of already existing colours sure.

but if you’re encouraging me to take more psychedelics it might just be doable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laffo it looks like banks are going to just steal the stimulus payments

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1250075965348347906?s=21

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

qirex posted:

Very cool that the direct payment to consumers designed specifically to spur demand is going to instead be used to to give bankers huge raises which they will then sit on and not spend

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

this can get hosed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Which regulators okayed this
Name them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Which regulators okayed this
Name them

Oh maybe I should read the article

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Apparently there are also some crazy tax breaks for millionaires in the covid relief bill

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Sagebrush posted:

they put something different in avgas though (beyond the lead) because avgas smells like farts.

i never really got that one either tbh. there is a gross smell of putrefaction and i guess "sweet" would be the closest, in that it doesn't smell like idk burning or acid or poop or whatever, but it's not really sweet. it's just gross and...soft? like where something like vinegar or ammonia are really sharp, this is the opposite of that.

when i hear "sickly sweet" i mostly think of, like, candies that are way too sugary, but i think the correct term for that is "cloying."

incidentally can you smell ammonia? that one is so powerful it seems like more of a physiological reaction than an odor

So I can detect fumes. If you put a rag of ammonia in my face it would make my nose burn and I would have trouble breathing but if you put it in another room I don't think I would notice.

This is one of the reasons why I hate lysol. There is some chemical, I assume some sort of alcohol, that is a vehicle for the scent to spread around whatever room it is sprayed. I assume that the smell is strong enough to distract from the chemical, but when a lot of lysol is sprayed in a small room or one with no ventilation my nose gets that funny burning can't breathe feeling if that makes sense.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

drat who could have possibly seen this coming

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

here in hellworld of all place

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

theres a similar effect approaching coalinga on the i5 - you smell that feedlot long before you see it

cowschwitz

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

syntaxrigger posted:

Wait what?!?! people like the smell of gasoline?!?!?

we sure as heck do

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

syntaxrigger posted:

Fascinating.

While on this sort of topic can someone tell me what they think of when they read a story involving a murder and the dead body is described as "sickly sweet" ? I never know how to parse this other than 'the dead person smell'

there was a goon who posted an ask/tell about their time as a paramedic. they said the first time they smelled a corpse it triggered something very deep in their brain and they knew what it was before they ‘knew’ it was a dead body. it’s apparently something that’s very much hard coded into us and is unquestionable when you run into it for the first time. thank goodness i have no idea what that is though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It's like how everyone knows that smell that plants give off when they get rained on because it was evolutionary helpful for people to know where water was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what you say describes my experience with animal corpses; I'm curious if there's a specifically "human" odor or if it's 'just' "general death, but 150lbs of it"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

It's like how everyone knows that smell that plants give off when they get rained on because it was evolutionary helpful for people to know where water was

i just use my eyes op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I also think the squirmy look of maggots causes fundamental repulsion too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hosed off from work right after lunch and down to my garage to tune up my family’s bicycles. Now I’m sitting in my camp chair drinking beer and watching my kid ride his bike around the parking lot.

Coronavirus is turning me into a redneck.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

what you say describes my experience with animal corpses; I'm curious if there's a specifically "human" odor or if it's 'just' "general death, but 150lbs of it"
:ohno:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

now we’re throwing rocks at the snow piles

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Achmed Jones posted:

no it was human specific. he said it was completely undeniable and something he'd never experienced before. his brain immediately knew there was a dead person somewhere in the building

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s called ghosts

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

just the absolute commitment to ideology over pragmatism; you love to see it

even when printing cash to avoid a total economic collapse they cant resist self sabotaging pro-banker impulses

even the purest tankies would have to appreciate the dogmatism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

even when printing cash to avoid a total economic collapse they cant resist self sabotaging pro-banker impulses
not self-sabotaging - the banks and super rich got a huge pile of unaccountable bailout money and tax breaks in the corona bill

theyre gonna swoop in and buy up all the distressed companies and properties (for a fraction of their actual worth) once the market hits bottom

we are going to come out of this crisis with even greater concentration of wealth at the very highest strata of society

working as intended, in other words

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
For a time I thought I had a poor sense of smell. Most things just seemed to have a neutral smell unless they were directly under my nose.

But there were a few specific things I could seem to detect much better than others. Like cat pee, or alcohol, or cigarettes - all really strong and repulsive. If you're sitting across the table with me I can't tell if you haven't showered in a couple days but your glass of wine will be mildly unpleasant.

And I find gasoline repulsive in any amount.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can’t smell cat piss

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

carry on then posted:

and the smell the plants down there make after getting rained on are some of my favorite memories

petrichor

Stereotype posted:

Apparently there are also some crazy tax breaks for millionaires in the covid relief bill

weird

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

hedge fund managers are applying for the corona small business bailout funds, because of course

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/14/complete-abomination-mega-rich-hedge-funds-swoop-down-grab-covid-19-small-business

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
really wish i could've gotten those trumpbux, i wanted to blow it all on call of duty skins

also: https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-sat-down-with-this-millennial-biden-supporter-to-see-if-their-parents-could-pay-our-rent-too/

also2: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/moderate-democrats-suggest-working-with-coronavirus-to-find-common-ground

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

some employers are apparently cutting worker pay by $1200 to steal the trump bux

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
come move to nz and work bleep bloops here

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

The Fool posted:

I hosed off from work right after lunch and down to my garage to tune up my family’s bicycles. Now I’m sitting in my camp chair drinking beer and watching my kid ride his bike around the parking lot.

Coronavirus is turning me into a good dad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

some employers are apparently cutting worker pay by $1200 to steal the trump bux

gonna have to fight the landlords for it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

man i just hope they get moving on the airbnb stimulus soon!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

had some virtual beers with a coworker last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PCjr sidecar posted:

just the absolute commitment to ideology over pragmatism; you love to see it

even the purest tankies would have to appreciate the dogmatism

trump also wants his personal signature on the checks so everyone can be even more aware that he's buying their vote