Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No chance. People will run screaming back into their homes if they even left in the first place.

Yeah, I can't wait until the order to open everything up coincides with the removal of all the emergency business support programs and then they all go bust anyway because all the customers are staying home voluntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

They're trying to artificially drive the new cases down to make the case for an early lift of social distancing ordinances.

It's loving insane.

It will also enable them to ignore a resurgence.

"Nobody is testing positive, people are dying of something else."

AND ignore calls for more stimulus.

"Country is open, get a job."

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

beejay posted:

So, nobody can answer how people "on the ground" or whatever would prove that the numbers being reported by the government are true?
Dunno how it works in the US, but in the UK pretty much anyone in the ONS (office of national statistics) would have access to all the raw data, so any conspiracy would pretty much have to involve them all - which would be basically impossible for the same reason that any conspiracy involving 100+ people with no binding ideology and a strong moral incentive to leak is impossible. I would expect most or all US states have a similar bureaucratic entity.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Infecting everyone as fast as possible is indeed counterproductive to lowering the rate of infections. Weird.

There are people who are talking about gradually infecting everyone, including the former head of the health authorities - while at the same time "keeping the virus under control". To someone who does not understand exponential growth that might seem entirely plausible. "We'll just infect everyone and keep the epidemic spreading a linear rate". Good luck.

If one were to look up the historic outcome of Pandemic vs Mankind, it doesn't look good for the "controlled spread of infection". So yeah, it might seem like I'm pointing out the obvious, but it's widely circulating misconception that we're opening schools and daycares to begin the controlled spread of immunity. No. We're doing it because it's possible while keeping Rn below 1.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Meatball posted:

It's so transparently cynical it makes me want to loving puke. They'll kill us intentionally before they go out of their way to provide economic relief to the working class.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Meatball posted:

Oh well, I guess the rest of us will just have to sit down, shut up and let them do it then. Nothing we or anyone else can say or do about their bad faith bullshit. I guess Inslee and Newsom are just going to have to go along with Abbot and Ivey and DeSantis.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

Dunno how it works in the US, but in the UK pretty much anyone in the ONS (office of national statistics) would have access to all the raw data, so any conspiracy would pretty much have to involve them all - which would be basically impossible for the same reason that any conspiracy involving 100+ people with no binding ideology and a strong moral incentive to leak is impossible. I would expect most or all US states have a similar bureaucratic entity.

So theoretically if a state reported 356 deaths, and then later they see the national numbers say 213 deaths from their state, someone from a similar office in that state would know and have all the individual hospital data to back it up? That seems reasonable and makes me feel better.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Meatball posted:

This is already being said a lot on social media. There's some dumb brain worm going around that every death in the USA is being reported as a coronavirus death. heart attack? Corona. Car accident? Corona.

Of course, the reality is the opposite, where people who die untested aren't getting tested in many cases.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh well, I guess the rest of us will just have to sit down, shut up and let them do it then. Nothing we or anyone else can say or do about their bad faith bullshit. I guess Inslee and Newsom are just going to have to go along with Abbot and Ivey and DeSantis.

I legitimately do not understand who it is that you're so pissed off at in this thread. People are reacting to the fact that Trump and the rest of the federal government won't stop screaming about reopening things. Nobody is saying that every state governor is going to blindly follow their lead.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Solkanar512 posted:

Apparently those large consortium of super important states forming to make their own plans for how to eventually reopen regardless of what stupid Republican fucks want just don’t exist anymore I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I legitimately do not understand who it is that you're so pissed off at in this thread. People are reacting to the fact that Trump and the rest of the federal government won't stop screaming about reopening things. Nobody is saying that every state governor is going to blindly follow their lead.

I think he’s mostly aggravated at attributing these vast conspiratorial designs and just assuming they’ll succeed to the most incompetent and stupid administration filled with the most unqualified people in the history of the nation when there are very strong barriers in their way at several levels.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

Again, you’re taking a “United States is uniform” approach. The testing rates in WA on a per capita basis are among the best in the nation, even if they can still be improved. We’ve also sent vents out of state and dismantled a field hospital. If the state is wrong to do so, why aren’t hospitalizations and deaths skyrocketing here? Why aren’t we having to create mass graves?

WA's testing rates are not "among the best in the nation". Where are you reading that? WA is not even in the top ten.

Utah, North Dakota, and Mississippi have all tested more per capita that WA. 15th place in a nation where even being first place would still be woefully inadequate.

We cannot know if deaths are skyrocketing if we don't test for them. Only confirmed cases are reported as COVID-19 deaths (except in NYC as of yesterday).

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LeeMajors posted:

They're trying to artificially drive the new cases down to make the case for an early lift of social distancing ordinances.

It's loving insane.

I'm not so sure. After all, just the other day they started to count "presumed positive" COVID deaths towards the totals. I think this is just a case of classic free-market incompetence

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

friendly 2 da void posted:

Gentle reminder that all of those stats are hard to take seriously because our testing is so woefully inadequate.

We simply can't know the spread of the virus or if progress is being made if we don't test for it.

People tracked the spread of disease long before the invention of antigen tests. AIDS was around for like 5 years before there was reliable testing for HIV. It'd be great if we could test everyone, but it's not some unknowable mystery to track diseases without objective tests. If we can do exact scientific tests it's clearly better, but it's not like no one can do some math to figure out the general scale of extra deaths to estimate untested cases. Or estimate levels of population spread to get a general idea how prevalent something is. We've done that forever before we got so good at biochemistry that we can just poop out new types of tests in a few days.

Like lack of testing isn't great, but it's not a huge conspiracy mystery some people want it to be. If 80,000 extra people die of pneumonia it's not gonna be impossible to have epidemiologist estimate that is probobly XX,000 cases.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

I’m pissed off at all the folks who do nothing but talk about all the poo poo that Trump and his cronies want to do without acknowledging the clear limits to what can actually do and the folks who are clearly and successfully fighting it. That context is incredibly important. I’m tired of the constant doomsaying. I’m tired of the constant venting of everyone’s anxiety and depression.

I’m tired of the constant proclamations that 10s of millions will die in the US alone and we’re all just waiting in line to get infected. Take a deep loving breath and quit consuming exclusively bad news and negative speculation.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently those large consortium of super important states forming to make their own plans for how to eventually reopen regardless of what stupid Republican fucks want just don’t exist anymore I guess.

You might want to direct your sarcasm to the folks who are doomsaying, not folks like me who aren’t.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m pissed off at all the folks who do nothing but talk about all the poo poo that Trump and his cronies want to do without acknowledging the clear limits to what can actually do and the folks who are clearly and successfully fighting it. That context is incredibly important. I’m tired of the constant doomsaying. I’m tired of the constant venting of everyone’s anxiety and depression.

I’m tired of the constant proclamations that 10s of millions will die in the US alone and we’re all just waiting in line to get infected. Take a deep loving breath and quit consuming exclusively bad news and negative speculation.

You might want to direct your sarcasm to the folks who are doomsaying, not folks like me who aren’t.

I was agreeing with you dude.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Belgian government's decided to extend the lockdown to the 3rd of May and is cancelling all mass events until the end of August. No festivals of any sort, so no Tomorrowland for people who were looking forward to that!

We're opening up the garden centers and DIY stores though, so people can do little jobs in the house or garden. Watch as thousands of Belgians descend on those shops like locusts.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was agreeing with you dude.

My apologies, I responded too quickly.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I'm not so sure. After all, just the other day they started to count "presumed positive" COVID deaths towards the totals. I think this is just a case of classic free-market incompetence

New York did that. I wouldn't expect that to be a broader trend--especially in red state hellholes like mine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

New York did that. I wouldn't expect that to be a broader trend--especially in red state hellholes like mine.

I’m curious when California will get around to it because you know there are tons of unaccounted for dead all over the state there. The official numbers seem too low.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WA's testing rates are not "among the best in the nation". Where are you reading that? WA is not even in the top ten.

Utah, North Dakota, and Mississippi have all tested more per capita that WA. 15th place in a nation where even being first place would still be woefully inadequate.

We cannot know if deaths are skyrocketing if we don't test for them. Only confirmed cases are reported as COVID-19 deaths (except in NYC as of yesterday).

WA DoH isn’t reporting negative result totals (until a massive dump yesterday that I’m still looking for) but at around 2-4K per day they were bouncing between first and third depending on what NY and CA was doing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I was expecting this to occur a wee bit later than May 4th.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1250459862955438082

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m curious when California will get around to it because you know there are tons of unaccounted for dead all over the state there. The official numbers seem too low.

Agreed. I hope they do soon.

The problem is they are pushing a narrative that the curve has been flattened.

Meanwhile this is the case count history on CDC.gov for today.

The elites in this country do not care because they want us to die in service of their profits. They already isolate themselves well enough.

They've thrown us peanuts, paid lip-service to lockdowns and will shovel us all into the furnace of capitalism soon enough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

golden bubble posted:

I was expecting this to occur a wee bit later than May 4th.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1250459862955438082

Gradually! This tweet is a bit sensational.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LeeMajors posted:

Sorry for no primary source but I found this:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/feds-classify-all-coronavirus-patient-deaths-as-covid-19-deaths/

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

WA DoH isn’t reporting negative result totals (until a massive dump yesterday that I’m still looking for) but at around 2-4K per day they were bouncing between first and third depending on what NY and CA was doing.

I'm sorry, what? I cited and linked a reliable source: the COVID-19 Tracking Project

Can you do the same for the assertion that WA is in first place? I don't think so, because it's totally bogus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

752 dead in NY, another ugly day and can’t be just attributed to a backlog from the weekend. BTW The Model projected 595 deaths today.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'll post the federal guidance again:

quote:

Ideally, testing for COVID–19 should be conducted, but it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate without this confirmation if the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

This doesn't mean states aren't underreporting out of caution or malice or whatever, but if anyone's thinking that there is a testing requirement they're wrong.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 15, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PederP posted:

There are people who are talking about gradually infecting everyone, including the former head of the health authorities - while at the same time "keeping the virus under control". To someone who does not understand exponential growth that might seem entirely plausible. "We'll just infect everyone and keep the epidemic spreading a linear rate". Good luck.

It's the kind of thing that makes sense at a distance: the realistic end to this is that enough people finally come down with COVID-19 that the effect of it spreading in the population becomes negligible. We're almost definitely going to hit that point before we have a vaccine. The catch being that the "?????" step before "profit" in this case is "And then we completely crush the medical system and kill a couple of million people needlessly."

If you could roll this out perfectly and people maintained proper quarantine and you could structure it so that serious cases could receive treatment then this plan could work. It would probably even prevent deaths since you'd structure it so that every infected person got all of the monitoring they required. Of course, the requirements to do this kind of plan might as well involve having orcs enforce the quarantines since it's that much of a fantasy and even if it wasn't, it would have to be implemented before COVID-19 started spreading like wildfire through the general population.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

We’re reopening on May 1! Except probably not really lol.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1250457523129323523

Maybe they’ll give the baby a giant ribbon to cut with some big scissors.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

“the President’s laser focus” :laffo:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

“the President’s laser focus” :laffo:

Hey a dog has laser focus when it suddenly spots a squirrel.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

100% chance this gets walked back into Trump announcing that he'll coordinate with governors to come up with a plan by 1 May, just like all of his other pronouncements over the last few weeks.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i am harry posted:

Yeah because of this:

Coronavirus could attack immune system like HIV by targeting protective cells, warn scientists

This is not unique to COVID-19, and it is not at all like HIV, like not even close dude jesus. HIV explicitly attacks immune cells and writes its own genetic code directly into the host genome, coronavirus does not do this as far as anyone can tell. Furthermore, HIV is incredibly difficult to deal with because the reverse transcriptase enzyme is notoriously error prone resulting in many many variations of HIV within the same host body. It's a loving bastard of a virus and not even remotely on the same level as coronavirus.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Random Stranger posted:

If you could roll this out perfectly and people maintained proper quarantine and you could structure it so that serious cases could receive treatment then this plan could work. It would probably even prevent deaths since you'd structure it so that every infected person got all of the monitoring they required. Of course, the requirements to do this kind of plan might as well involve having orcs enforce the quarantines since it's that much of a fantasy and even if it wasn't, it would have to be implemented before COVID-19 started spreading like wildfire through the general population.

It may reduce the deaths a bit, but here in germany 3000 people have died and the medical system is nowhere near capacity - this poo poo kills people :(

What is needed is a game-changer treatment that drastically lowwers the fatality rate + reduces the length of the hospital stay. I suspect lot of countries are hoping something is discovered soon, before they have to reduce the lockdown due to people not coping.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I'm sorry, what? I cited and linked a reliable source: the COVID-19 Tracking Project

Can you do the same for the assertion that WA is in first place? I don't think so, because it's totally bogus.

Uh, the Seattle loving Times has been tracking it every day and they both cite the Department of Health. The Covid-19 project isn’t going to reflect the total amount of testing being done if the DoH is delayed in reporting it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Fun Times! posted:

Fiance and I got our stimulus dough :homebrew:

Kinda lame the poorest people are gonna get this check last. Anyone who consistently doesn't file (low income) or pays the IRS money (side gigs) isn't gonna be able to fill out their DD info until the 17th and then have to wait like a week after that right?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

Kinda lame the poorest people are gonna get this check last. Anyone who consistently doesn't file (low income) or pays the IRS money (side gigs) isn't gonna be able to fill out their DD info until the 17th and then have to wait like a week after that right?

Is there a way to distribute money that isn’t through social security or the irs? This seems like the only system plausible in the short term

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

qhat posted:

This is not unique to COVID-19, and it is not at all like HIV, like not even close dude jesus. HIV explicitly attacks immune cells and writes its own genetic code directly into the host genome, coronavirus does not do this as far as anyone can tell. Furthermore, HIV is incredibly difficult to deal with because the reverse transcriptase enzyme is notoriously error prone resulting in many many variations of HIV within the same host body. It's a loving bastard of a virus and not even remotely on the same level as coronavirus.

I think the issue is maybe we shouldn't be posting SCMP articles. They have a reputation for not being very fact-based, and it is already hard enough to find reliable papers that don't exaggerate, sensationalize, or misinterpret science stuff. It's basically journalists with journalism degrees trying to reformat science publications into something that is eye-catching and easy to understand. The article is about an unnamed researcher warning that COVID-19 can infect T-cells similar to HIV/AIDS. You can understand how that can easily be sensationalized by laymen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cr0y posted:

Conway angrily wants to know how we solved covid-1 through covid-18

Well Vegeta tried to beat Covid-18 and got his arm broken for his trouble.