Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The most disappointing aspect of the remake is that Aerith does not physically hit things with her staff, making that metallic bonk sound that is permanently etched into my brain from the original.

If they gave Cloud the Nail Bat early on they could have given Aerith a battle umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's especially funny with Bladed Staff. A giant double ended spear that she shoots magic from.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

chapter 16

Wtf Shinra has a Day of Meteor recording/simulator??

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

Barret's voice actor is really doing some work in these later chapters. The entire English cast is good but Barret especially has been elevated from what was, if we're being honest, a caricature in the original to a relatable and engaging character in his own right.

Remake Barret's character is great, I just think he's the least fun to actually play as. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but he just felt less powerful than the other three.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My Barret puts da team on his back with Lifesaver, Warding, Dispel and Heal magic. He's MVP.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked to play as Barret. Between overcharge, maximum fury & focused shot he could knock enemies into stagger while pressured and deal a ton of damage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maybe it's just me then. He just didn't click for me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there any kind of fast travel/backtrack part to other areas in the game? I'm only like in Ch. 8 but wondered if that was even a thing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DLC Inc posted:

is there any kind of fast travel/backtrack part to other areas in the game? I'm only like in Ch. 8 but wondered if that was even a thing.

Depends on what you mean, but I think yes in both potential senses.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lord Ephraim posted:

The most disappointing aspect of the remake is that Aerith does not physically hit things with her staff, making that metallic bonk sound that is permanently etched into my brain from the original.

If they gave Cloud the Nail Bat early on they could have given Aerith a battle umbrella.

Yes she does. If you are close enough to hit them, she also does melee damage. That sound isn't there though, of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CottonWolf posted:

Barret naturally being ranged means he's less likely to get interrupted, and his big HP pool means he can take a lot of punishment. You can start out every encounter with Steel Skin + Lifesaver absorbing damage from Cloud and Tifa at a reduced rate, then just heal back up to full. Barret has been my ranged support tank/healer all game.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Barret naturally being ranged means he's less likely to get interrupted, and his big HP pool means he can take a lot of punishment. You can start out every encounter with Steel Skin + Lifesaver absorbing damage from Cloud and Tifa at a reduced rate, then just heal back up to full. Barret has been my ranged support tank/healer all game.

People laugh at me when I say I prefer to play Barret to Tifa :( I know she's the stagger queen, but Barret is the glue that holds the team together. A really sturdy, tanky glue

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Chapter 17 question. Is it possible to find Chadley again from this point, barring clearing the rest of the game? Saw a walkthrough mention he should be on this floor (it's the area with the endlessly spawning Unknown Entities, some stairs and a vending machine/bench but I'm not seeing him anywhere.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Chapter 17 question. Is it possible to find Chadley again from this point, barring clearing the rest of the game? Saw a walkthrough mention he should be on this floor (it's the area with the endlessly spawning Unknown Entities, some stairs and a vending machine/bench but I'm not seeing him anywhere.

He's there in hard mode chapter select (if i'm remembering right which part you mean, the one with the hallway towards the elevator where cloud collapses after sephiroth scene?)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chapter 12 I know what's gonna happen. I know it's coming. Still felt like a gut punch when it occurred. Kudos to the Remake team for pulling it off.

Turning the pillar into a full-on Avalanche-Shinra warzone and the scenes with Marlene... :golfclap:

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I keep dying on the second motorcycle section haha. I absolutely hate when these games switch to forced crappy minigames instead of the actual game mechanics, and it's entirely based on a mix of the lovely camera and me being impatient at the game "allowing" me to catch up and wanting to end this as quickly as possible.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Darko posted:

I keep dying on the second motorcycle section haha. I absolutely hate when these games switch to forced crappy minigames instead of the actual game mechanics, and it's entirely based on a mix of the lovely camera and me being impatient at the game "allowing" me to catch up and wanting to end this as quickly as possible.

the absolutely best part of chapter select and hard mode is the ability to skip the bike minigames. I'm serious, it had it's own section in the tutorial info on chapter selection.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's FF7, it has to have crappy minigames

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Andrast posted:

It's FF7, it has to have crappy minigames

Give me golden saucer stuff nooooowwwwwwww

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Dackel posted:

He's there in hard mode chapter select (if i'm remembering right which part you mean, the one with the hallway towards the elevator where cloud collapses after sephiroth scene?)

He's there on all difficulties after you beat the game, it's the new post-game VR missions that are hard mode only. You can go in on any difficulty to do Aerith's solo stuff. It'll be impossible to miss him then, he stands right next to your critical path

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dackel posted:

the absolutely best part of chapter select and hard mode is the ability to skip the bike minigames. I'm serious, it had it's own section in the tutorial info on chapter selection.

I cant believe they took the crappiest part of FF7 and made it more annoying. I remember reading the strategy guide and seeing it upcoming, looking so forward to it, and being oh so disappointed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nearly everything about this game is so drat good, holy poo poo. Still sidequesting through chapter 14 so I haven't seen it all but it has been great so far. My main issue is that my instinct is to go full agro and button mash attacks, and most of the time that is a bad idea. Once I started rapidly swapping between characters things started working a lot better. It also took me way too long to realize that you're supposed to hold down attack for Barret rather than mash it, and once I realized I was doing that wrong he became almost as fun as Tifa to play as.

I had a bunch of close shaves on boss fights, but embarrassingly my only actual game over was the third time you run into Burke's Badasses, when they bring in Mongo as their clincher. If he manages to grab you it does a stupid amount of damage and Cloud was solo at the time so welp.

The Honeybee Inn sequence is outstanding, the music is great, the VA work is great though I don't care for Sephiroth, and thankfully I haven't even had any of the texture streaming issues that some people have experienced. I was not expecting this to turn out nearly as well as it did but I'm sure glad they pulled it off.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It’s jarring just how awful Sephiroth’s VA is compared to the rest of the cast

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Seems fine to me. He's pretty much the guy who created half the stereotypes of over-the-top anime villains in video games anyway so so I'm not sure what else he's supposed to sound like.

If anything Tifa's voice acting sounded really weird and wooden in the beginning but idk maybe I got used to it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really like his voice. He actually sounds really unhinged and creepy. In the past when Sephiroth was voiced he always just came across as bored and generic.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, at least the first couple of times it comes up Sephiroth's VA sounds kinda... like a regular guy? He just seems way too level and calm compared to how he looks and what he's saying.

I also really like how conflicted the game has me feeling about Rude. I want to cheer him on because he practically bleeds cool out of every pore despite his dorky crush on Tifa but come on bro you don't get to say things like "I'm not a bad person, but sometimes I do bad things" when you run over to push a button that you know will murder thousands of people.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

jesus gently caress this rufus fight is bullshit stop loving splitting my party up rear end in a top hat game. i still love it though.

edit: lol i was so mad i won the second time

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 15, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Seems fine to me. He's pretty much the guy who created half the stereotypes of over-the-top anime villains in video games anyway so so I'm not sure what else he's supposed to sound like.

If anything Tifa's voice acting sounded really weird and wooden in the beginning but idk maybe I got used to it.

Ghaleon and Magus predate him, dammit :)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sapozhnik posted:

tbh this makes sense plotwise

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ASenileAnimal posted:

jesus gently caress this rufus fight is bullshit stop loving splitting my party up rear end in a top hat game. i still love it though.

It's super easy. Just stay away from him and toss fire spells and your first ability auto staggers him if you hit it when he reloads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Augus posted:

I really like his voice. He actually sounds really unhinged and creepy. In the past when Sephiroth was voiced he always just came across as bored and generic.

I think it only seems unhinged and creepy because that's how school shooters act nowadays

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

It doesn't help that he mostly stands there pointing his arm at things.

Even if he's just as mechanically complex as the others, the way it's animated isn't as flashy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If I'm about to wrap up Chapter 14, should that be 20 sidequests completed? Not sure if you're supposed to get the trophy before or after finishing the entire game for the first time.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

If I'm about to wrap up Chapter 14, should that be 20 sidequests completed? Not sure if you're supposed to get the trophy before or after finishing the entire game for the first time.

Don't think you can get that one in your first playthrough right? Because it's the divergence in wall market following M or Sam path or did I miss a different one

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

Mechanics spoilers:
I think 24 if you've done everything in a single playthrough? Also, you can't get the trophy the first time through, as one of the chapters has two alternate paths giving 26 total side-quests. You get a chapter select on completion though.

E:

Dackel posted:

Don't think you can get that one in your first playthrough right? Because it's the divergence in wall market following M or Sam path or did I miss a different one

Yep.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just got through the Roche bit, and I actually like the guy. Doing the :discourse: move when he saw Cloud go by, and his :saddowns: face when his bike was disabled was great.

He seems (at least at first glance) like someone that doesn't give a poo poo about the company, he's just absolutely bored off his rear end and wanted to get into a fancy motorcycle fight when he saw the chance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF characters swearing is funny

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

this bike boss in chapter 18 is annoying

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm gonna time how long it takes to run from sector 5 to the playground via Wall Market and compare it to getting there via the monster/thug/puzzle infested tunnels. :colbert: What are you playing at Aerith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ASenileAnimal posted:

this bike boss in chapter 18 is annoying

Fucker kept managing to melt me with his side laser bullshit because the game straight up didn't let me slow down.

I like the idea of a bike-based boss but he was a real bastard to fight and the one time the gameplay really didn't work very well for me.