Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Amazing.

I started my relisten from beginning too late, only about half way through season 2. It's amazing how many hints there are just on little turns of phrase or word choice for what we find out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Jonathan Sims just consistent in great writing.

They crashed Patreon, that's just amazing. Alex tweeted that it was a DDOS attack, but by friends.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if we'll even get archive stories this season or if it's going full "meta" plot.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I loved how the opening flashback dropped in little clues that are recontextualized from what we now know. Paraphrased:

Elias: So where’s the cake?
Tim: How did you know there was cake?
Elias: I keep aware of everything going on around here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of the first ep of s5 magnus. The first tape was great though i wonder how elias got away with so much if he's been that unsubtle this whole time but the second tape was just a long recap.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Considering the demand it’s probably for the best they started off the season with a series recap, TV style.

Now if they do it again next episode, and then again… well, it will be the White Vault

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm sort of unconvinced that the tape is... Real? Accurate? I can't imagine Tim throwing a surprise party for Jon, and I'm not totally convinced Jon knows enough about emulsifiers to ruin ice cream that way (ruining a party is totally in character for him, I just don't know if he'd do it like that).

Elias might have faked it, or maybe it had something to do with the web. Especially since I didn't think he knew about Jurgen until the end of season two, so I don't think he'd have had access to the Gertrude tape, either.

Normally I'd think I was over-thinking things, but if any show deserves a red string board, it's Magnus.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
So my best friend just released a cyberpunk radioamdra podcast. It gives off a little, let's say Zybourne Clock energy if that's your thing. Links to most platforms here http://antimtr.buzzsprout.com/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

cptn_dr posted:

I'm sort of unconvinced that the tape is... Real? Accurate? I can't imagine Tim throwing a surprise party for Jon, and I'm not totally convinced Jon knows enough about emulsifiers to ruin ice cream that way (ruining a party is totally in character for him, I just don't know if he'd do it like that).

Elias might have faked it, or maybe it had something to do with the web. Especially since I didn't think he knew about Jurgen until the end of season two, so I don't think he'd have had access to the Gertrude tape, either.

Normally I'd think I was over-thinking things, but if any show deserves a red string board, it's Magnus.

Keep in mind that we have no idea if it was even Elias that sent these tapes

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So does the tape where Gertrude tells her successor that they are now one of those rituals imply that she understood the nature of the Watcher's Crown? And if so, could she not have, I don't know, said something about it?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Pope Guilty posted:

So does the tape where Gertrude tells her successor that they are now one of those rituals imply that she understood the nature of the Watcher's Crown? And if so, could she not have, I don't know, said something about it?

She did. In a tape. That nobody was able to listen to until now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

New Leaf posted:

She identifies her successor with the ritual but says nothing about what that actually means or how to do anything about it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

And I assume she kept it confined to a tape rather than saying so in person in an attempt to avoid Elias/Jonas finding out what she knew.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I don't know if anyone here looks at the Reddit Magnus Archives sub, but some fan has started making lofi Magnus Archives beats that are great.

https://youtu.be/SEz4Hm6h_w4

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

So like… good short stories?

I'm going to answer this question one more time even though I really didn't think it was that complicated.

I loved early Magnus because every week was an extremely short but still well fleshed out horror story. Jon is an impeccable writer, plus I love the presentation being so lo-fi and mellow as opposed to overproduced, potentially weighed down by music/over reliant on SFX, etc. Creepy and NoSleep might be at times able to scratch the itch but the nature of most creepypasta is that there's so loving much of it you're bound to have to wade through a lot of garbage. TMA was never that because Jon is a genius. I miss the days when they were standalone stories, at least on the face of it and you could dig deeper if that's your scene. I'd argue the show hasn't been on any level about the stories for some time now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Based on that description I’d flog Matthew M. Bartlett audiobooks again, stories are about pod length and there is a shared world but no real metaplot

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Based on that description I’d flog Matthew M. Bartlett audiobooks again, stories are about pod length and there is a shared world but no real metaplot

Is it more cute and succinct like The Witch Cult in Western Massachusetts or more incoherent and surreal like Gateways to Abomination?

e: Oh hah we've talked about this before :D

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The latter, though knowing there’s a malevolent radio station involved is helpful going in. “Swift to Chase” by Laird Barron might be another one but his Lovecraft / crime noir mashup style is, uh, an acquired taste.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
So Tanis. Was it just really poorly received on Stitcher? Wasn’t it supposed to be out to the public like 2 months ago? I need some more low investment garbage to hate listen to on my commute.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I've just run through"The Phenomenon", based on R. Katic's book. 3 seasons, episodes are 20m or so in length.

Plot is about a sudden alien invasion that wipes out 98% of human life. There's a shadowy group called "the Project" that seems to be prepared for this event - they have bunkers spread out over the Earth and were able to shelter while coming up with a plan. So far the first 3 seasons have been about humanity trying to get a handle on the aliens, then more, different aliens show up and things really go crazy. There's some loose threads at the end of season 3 - there's varying alliances and weird interfactional sabotage amongst the humans.

The setting has been interesting, but the humans are at an extreme disadvantage: aliens exsanguinate people on sight, and they're seemingly indestructable. It's been good so far.

https://www.phenomenonpod.com/

Also, the latest episode of pseudopod is excellent. Their editor added in layers of numbers stations and other weird radio phenomenon that played really well with the body horror theme of the episode.

https://pseudopod.org/2020/04/12/pseudopod-698-of-marrow-and-abomination-narration-only/

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 14, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
TMA 502: When the Archivist kept rewinding to Gertrude saying "I don't think so" I was convinced he found an edit. I didn't find the line elsewhere in the recording though.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

TMA 502: When the Archivist kept rewinding to Gertrude saying "I don't think so" I was convinced he found an edit. I didn't find the line elsewhere in the recording though.

I think he was just emphasizing to himself/us that *think* is different from *know*.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TMA

I wonder if the key is going to be that even now people are projecting human-comprehensible motives and ambitions to the entities. We have no real proof that the entities even wanted a successful ritual in the first place, I'd argue the strongest evidence towards that is that for the most part the Unknowing this time was attempted by non-human people aligned with the Stranger and thus more in tune with it, but tracing back through the planning still seems to point to human followers being at the root of the planning and development.

If this can be undone, perhaps it's because the entities aren't attempting to stop it from being undone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My guess is that since the apocalypse needed all the powers represented that The Extinction is going to wake during this and cause it to go back to some semblance of normal

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Len posted:

My guess is that since the apocalypse needed all the powers represented that The Extinction is going to wake during this and cause it to go back to some semblance of normal
Oh! Yes, especially because this whole situation is a rampant feeding ground for the Extinction as an apocalyptic, malevolent shift.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just feel like that is too obvious an ending for what they've been doing

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

boo_radley posted:

I've just run through"The Phenomenon", based on R. Katic's book. 3 seasons, episodes are 20m or so in length.

Plot is about a sudden alien invasion that wipes out 98% of human life. There's a shadowy group called "the Project" that seems to be prepared for this event - they have bunkers spread out over the Earth and were able to shelter while coming up with a plan. So far the first 3 seasons have been about humanity trying to get a handle on the aliens, then more, different aliens show up and things really go crazy. There's some loose threads at the end of season 3 - there's varying alliances and weird interfactional sabotage amongst the humans.

The setting has been interesting, but the humans are at an extreme disadvantage: aliens exsanguinate people on sight, and they're seemingly indestructable. It's been good so far.

https://www.phenomenonpod.com/

I listened to a little bit of this a long while ago but stopped when after the entire first season there just wasn't really anyone I gave a poo poo about and the introduction of the second wave of aliens+shady secret orgs struck me as real, real loving dumb. With that as my initial take do you think it's worth revisiting for the later seasons?

Despite that I do recall a few things I did like about it: It was the first series I listened to that abandoned the Literally Recording(TM) conceit (IIRC) which is very good and I'm glad more shows are doing that now. The sound design was also very good--the gore sounds in particular. There was a bone crunching bit that I still think of as extremely disturbing in a very good way.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

PetraCore posted:

Oh! Yes, especially because this whole situation is a rampant feeding ground for the Extinction as an apocalyptic, malevolent shift.

"Our world, but worse" is a theme with Extinction.

TMA 503
It seems we'll be watching the boys march through an ever more frightening color wheel of fear to reach The Eye Tower.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I understand why this season of TMA is going the way it is but I'm really not enjoying it. I miss the statements.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
There was a statement in the newest episode.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
If anyone who likes TMA statements but not metaplot stuff, you should listen to episode 164, The Sick Village.

It starts without an introduction of anything, just jumps right in and there's only meta stuff at the end. It's one of the best they've written.

It is about plague and xenophobia, be warned.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

If anyone who likes TMA statements but not metaplot stuff, you should listen to episode 164, The Sick Village.

It starts without an introduction of anything, just jumps right in and there's only meta stuff at the end. It's one of the best they've written.

Just heard that today. Glad they kept that in despite everything that’s happened since it was written but yowza is that on the nose.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

Just heard that today. Glad they kept that in despite everything that’s happened since it was written but yowza is that on the nose.

To be fair, they wrote and recorded it beforehand.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yeah that episode rekindled my faith in the show. I was very impressed with how they managed to nail the feeling of xenophobia quite well -- I've been an immigrant in the UK from a country that is 'undesirable' and I keenly felt a lot of things they described.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The people behind Eskew are starting a new series, and they're taking auditions for characters.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Montalvo posted:

Yeah that episode rekindled my faith in the show. I was very impressed with how they managed to nail the feeling of xenophobia quite well -- I've been an immigrant in the UK from a country that is 'undesirable' and I keenly felt a lot of things they described.
Feels like xenophobia is probably going to be a bit of a theme this season, since it was also a huge factor in the trenches as well. That was more supernatural, though, this was more raw and uncomfortable.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

vortmax posted:

The people behind Eskew are starting a new series, and they're taking auditions for characters.

Noice

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just finished listening to Jonathan Sims’s rap demo. Trying to tease out the meter and rhyme scheme was tricky, kind of reminded me of this song:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0UpqjUtrig0JMG0M46VCp1?si=03XPPrp0Tf2Uvxil3Hfcmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If you added a beat, it would basically be a Mechanisms song.
Specifically the one in The Bifrost Incident where he goes Full Jonny on an invocation.