Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

curlingiron posted:

I just googled and found this: https://youtu.be/pfI2VkNBjQc

Oh poo poo, that's it, thanks! I literally googled every variation on "h Jon Benjamin" and "boots" that I could think of today and nothing, but now when I Google it it's the top result.

It's like Google is trying to make a fool out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can you give us an approximation of the year you read it? That'll help whittle away anything published after that.

Also, probably a stupid question, but have you asked The Book Barn? They've got a dedicated "identify this book/story for me" thread stickied there. If someone can nail down one of the stories, it might lead you to finding the whole book.

I probably read it when I was 14 or so, so around 1998. And thanks for the tip! I'll try there too.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

just another posted:

A British crime show about a doctor who solves crimes, also he rides a bicycle. Came out maybe around 2005?

This sounds like Father Brown, except the bicycle riding amateur sleuth is a Catholic Priest, and it started in 2013.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
BBC has a shitton of series about crime solving non-police and the men all have curly brown hair. the one i remember most features a magician's assistant working for Anthony Stewart Head.

Giles, from Buffy. He plays a stage magician.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

BBC has a shitton of series about crime solving non-police and the men all have curly brown hair. the one i remember most features a magician's assistant working for Anthony Stewart Head.

Giles, from Buffy. He plays a stage magician.

Jonathan Creek. Owned until Caroline Quentin left after Series 3.

Also Anthony Head was only in the Pilot episode.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 12, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I just remember watching it with someone I was dating at the time, who was also watching Dr Who and a bunch of other British shows about sad boys with floppy brown curls, when it dawned on me that I was a sad boy with floppy brown curls, and that probably she wasn't coming back to me after her years in Oxford.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Okay, this one's bugging me and my search-fu is failing. I want to say it's from Mr. Show, or a similar sketch show. Someone quotes/paraphrases the famous Khrushchev line of "the survivors will envy the dead" (some Googlin' has it as "the living").

I know Krusty says it in a Simpsons episode, but I'm looking for a live action guy saying it while mugging at the camera. Any ideas?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
There's some movie or tv show with a joke about how someone's famous last words were something to the effect of, "they'll never take us alive, Ralph" (or some other name) but no one knows who Ralph is. I think it might be a simpsons joke? Any idea?

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
I’m hoping to one day come across a particular piece of kitsch from my childhood. It was a hideous, wall mounted, motorised singing fish, however it was not your standard big mouth billy bass.
It was a 90s Chinese ripoff of the same, and it only played the one 30 second audio snippet - a definitely unlicensed, hastily recorded cover of Proud Mary played on a comically out of tune guitar, and sung by a man who presumably had the English language vaguely described to him just prior to them hitting record.

It was called a “Sing n Swing Fish” and it was both awful and wonderful.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

It was called a “Sing n Swing Fish” and it was both awful and wonderful.

This? The first result after googling: "proud mary" fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2W-l-bG_xI

Or is it a knockoff of this version that is even worse?

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

I think it was a collection of short stories I read in high school in the late 80's. One was about time travel and had a character was named Benedict. Another story, I'm pretty sure from the same book, was about some water spouts appearing that went up into the sky out of sight, the main character got abducted and kept as a pet in what was basically large gold fish bowl, but could never see his captors or anything around him. Could never remember the name of the book or the author but would like to read it again.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

kalamaf posted:

I think it was a collection of short stories I read in high school in the late 80's. One was about time travel and had a character was named Benedict. Another story, I'm pretty sure from the same book, was about some water spouts appearing that went up into the sky out of sight, the main character got abducted and kept as a pet in what was basically large gold fish bowl, but could never see his captors or anything around him. Could never remember the name of the book or the author but would like to read it again.

That sounds a lot like a mixed up memory of slaughterhouse-five

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

That sounds a lot like a mixed up memory of slaughterhouse-five

Hmm, nope, don't believe I've ever read that one, and the plot descriptions don't ring any bells. The hunt continues!

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

kalamaf posted:

sounds like Goldfish Bowl by Robert Heinliem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish_Bowl

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

frankee posted:

kalamaf, if that sounds right you can find a list of publications here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?46526

Perhaps one of the many editions of The Menace from Earth, which included a time travel story with a character called Diktor? (By His Bootstraps)

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

frankee posted:

uvar posted:

kalamaf, if that sounds right you can find a list of publications here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?46526

Perhaps one of the many editions of The Menace from Earth, which included a time travel story with a character called Diktor? (By His Bootstraps)

These are the two, thanks goons!

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

CountryMatters posted:

I don't have a lot to go on to describe this, but me and my twin sister played an educational/kids game when we were little that we bring up sometimes because we can't for the life of us figure out what the gently caress it was.

It was on the Amiga, would have been sometime early/mid-90s, and the only part either of us remember is that towards the end there is an evil "witch" that shows up as an image on the screen. To win you have to colour over her with basically the spray tool from MS Paint, which reveals a goblet or chalice behind her that you need to win the game or save the day or something

This turned out to be Storyland 2, and it was a fun little nostalgia trip emulating it. Turns out it was a weird animal rights propaganda thing, which explains a lot about my sister and I haha

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Riptor posted:

There's some movie or tv show with a joke about how someone's famous last words were something to the effect of, "they'll never take us alive, Ralph" (or some other name) but no one knows who Ralph is. I think it might be a simpsons joke? Any idea?

Yeah, that one's Simpsons.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8iglhkgiQSQ

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Thank you!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There was a top down shooter from the late nineties or early 2000's where you aimed with the mouse and got fallout-esque traits in between rounds. I know that's annoyingly vague but I don't remember much else about the game. Happen to jog any memories?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Eason the Fifth posted:

There was a top down shooter from the late nineties or early 2000's where you aimed with the mouse and got fallout-esque traits in between rounds. I know that's annoyingly vague but I don't remember much else about the game. Happen to jog any memories?

Crimsonland?

Any of the zombie/alien shooter series?

I used to dig those style games, so if it’s not either of those I’ll check my steam list and see what else I’ve got from that genre.

E: do you know if you controlled a person or a spaceship, and if it was more stylized or realistic art style?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Slothful Bong posted:

Crimsonland?

This is it. Thanks!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It was a made for TV disaster movie about people trapped on the middle of a high bridge after both ends had collapsed. This would have been 1984-87 I think. There were people in a helicopter trying to rescue them, and terrorists trying to stop the rescue or maybe blow up more of the bridge.

It's a very fuzzy childhood memory of mine, where my friend had told me to go home and watch The A Team on channel 5 because it was awesome but I didn't have cable and watched this mysterymovie instead by accident.

E: well poo poo that was easy never mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvdTgJ04JqM

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 16, 2020

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

That poster is your white whale now.

Reposting this one I posted last year in hopes that someone will recognize it:

It could be somwhere in the Interactive Fiction Archive: https://ifarchive.org

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Not a white whale because I know exactly what it is, but it's a late 90's game by Ravensoft called "Mageslayer". Plays just like Gauntlet, and there's a couple videos on youtube. The challenge for goons is seeing if they can find a copy. I don't have a windows 95/98 or whatever machine lying around so a physical copy won't do me any good, but if anyone can find it on like, an abandonware site or something, I would be very grateful.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Not a white whale because I know exactly what it is, but it's a late 90's game by Ravensoft called "Mageslayer". Plays just like Gauntlet, and there's a couple videos on youtube. The challenge for goons is seeing if they can find a copy. I don't have a windows 95/98 or whatever machine lying around so a physical copy won't do me any good, but if anyone can find it on like, an abandonware site or something, I would be very grateful.

Somebody posted about this upthread (hope it wasn't you), and it seems like it's a bitch and a half to get working on Win10 (dunno about using VMs or anything), but there are YouTube videos out there of it happening. I'll try to dig up a link to the game later.

E:PM'd you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The shakespeare quote "all is ready if the mind be so" is mentioned in a wikipedia article about... something. I thought it was for serendipity but I didn't see it. Or the role of chance in discovery. I don't know; I can't remember

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Somebody posted about this upthread (hope it wasn't you), and it seems like it's a bitch and a half to get working on Win10 (dunno about using VMs or anything), but there are YouTube videos out there of it happening. I'll try to dig up a link to the game later.

E:PM'd you

Does DOSBox not work anymore? Been awhile since I've done any emulating stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does DOSBox not work anymore? Been awhile since I've done any emulating stuff.

We got it working, don't worry.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I think it was just hard to get running in Win7... Works fine in an emulated Windows 95 environment within DOSBox in Win10!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

E: quote is not edit. I literally never made that mistake before this phone app... :smith:

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Okay, this one's bugging me and my search-fu is failing. I want to say it's from Mr. Show, or a similar sketch show. Someone quotes/paraphrases the famous Khrushchev line of "the survivors will envy the dead" (some Googlin' has it as "the living").

I know Krusty says it in a Simpsons episode, but I'm looking for a live action guy saying it while mugging at the camera. Any ideas?

The Devastator? https://youtu.be/p5Oi57fqdU0

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have two, both related. They were bumpers that aired in between programs during daytime children's shows on I thiiiink PBS in the early to mid 90s.

One was animated, with these weird alien/monster creatures on a black background. A voice would state the number of them and identify the type of creature, with each group getting bigger by one so as to teach you how to count (???).

The other was live-action with an armless dude painted a bright color demonstrating through song and example that excluding different people is wrong. At one point a cop yells at him "Put your hands up!" to which he responds "But I don't have any" in an odd, dreamy tone.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

In the spirit of Take A Penny Leave A Penny, this is an informational video about AIDS that I spent my entire internet existence searching for only to come across recently.

The creepy virus infiltrator repeatedly murmuring "He's okay, let him goooo" found a cavity in my memory bank and just nestled its rear end in there for twenty-odd years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgUgd0HvWg

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Milo and POTUS posted:

The shakespeare quote "all is ready if the mind be so" is mentioned in a wikipedia article about... something. I thought it was for serendipity but I didn't see it. Or the role of chance in discovery. I don't know; I can't remember

https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/henryv/page_186/

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

:cripes:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Hearts of Darknesses's song "glycerine (demo)", which got lost in the MySpace fallout.

olives black fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 18, 2020

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

In the spirit of Take A Penny Leave A Penny, this is an informational video about AIDS that I spent my entire internet existence searching for only to come across recently.

The creepy virus infiltrator repeatedly murmuring "He's okay, let him goooo" found a cavity in my memory bank and just nestled its rear end in there for twenty-odd years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgUgd0HvWg

Holy poo poo they showed us this tape in first grade!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DiabloNachos posted:

I've been trying to find a Conan O'Brien intro that goes like :

"Last time on Conan O'Brien" and then it shows a bunch of made up clips from previous episodes where Andy was poisoned, and generally a bunch of evil behind the scenes/backstabbing stuff was going on, like the show was Dallas or something.

It wasn't during the TBS era, it was older than that.

Failing that, there's a show when he went to California and Andy sleeps with the actress Conan wants, that's another one I haven't seen in forever.

I know this isn't a big help but there is a guy on YouTube named Bobblehead Conan who uploads a ridiculous amount of 90s Conan. If anyone has it, he does.

One Conan sketch I'm dying to find (I can't even find anyone on the internet talking about it) was from the late 90s where he makes some lame joke, I think about Jennifer Lopez's rear end. It was a terrible joke and then all of a sudden the show turns into a courtroom setting where they debated whether or not the joke sucked. It was absolutely hilarious and was one of the few things besides George Carlin that both me and my mother bonded over in terms of comedy. I wish I could find it if only to show it to her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

No i meant the wikipedia article lol