Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Sure did love that I managed to get my new True skates in the week before our rink shut down. At least I got one skate in 'em before stuff was closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Convert them to marsblades!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Managed to have some dryland fun this weekend.

We dragged the net into our garage since it was raining, but we had enough room to practice shooting. My son is 14 so it rapidly devolved into lunacy.

Examples:

1. Slapshots in a garage are really, really loud.
2. Dryland practice wearing an N95 is as fun as you'd think.
3. Pucks will absolutely ricochet multiple times and break stuff.
4. A hockey ball is best for entertainment value.
5. Said hockey ball will end play when a wicked backhander sends it off the crossbar, into the ceiling, off a ceiling light and into my elbow, causing me lots of pain and my son to laugh himself sweaty.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Convert them to marsblades!

Are these good? Thinking about getting some rollerblades but I also don't want to break my ankle during a health crisis

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, just bought a Switch. RIP any semblance of fitness before hockey starts again.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If you get Breathe of the Wild or Animal Crossing kiss your time good bye.

I've been drinking about the same and it seems like eating a ton more, somehow I haven't gained any weight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got Mario Kart/Party for the family, and Animal Crossing for me to play in my home office while everyone else thinks I'm working.

I've been drinking way more due to local breweries dying to get rid of their stock. Even ones that refuse to sell kegs are now trying to push them out the door. My kegerator has never been so full.
Weight has stayed the same though since I'm running more than I usually do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i'm keeping my weight down through the power of constant anxiety, it's very effective

e: Mario odyssey is the poo poo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
For my first brisket, it's much better than a lot of the barbeque I've paid for in the past and I can't complain. I learned a lot. All the research I did prior definitely helped. It's juicy and smoky, the bark doesn't over power the flavor of the nest itself. Full of flavor. When I wrapped it in paper, I put the fat side down by mistake and it got mushy on the bottom but it still tastes great.

I was debating building a hockey shooting pad and buying a net. Now I'm thinking about making a smoker. Maybe I'll do both.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress that looks delicious.

My quality of life has improved greatly after buying a Traeger smoker last year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Zip! posted:

In the 3 or so weeks its been since we stopped skating, I have done literally nothing except work my way through the beer section of our local grocery store but on the plus side, the sharp pain I've had in my hip flexor if I even twisted remotely funny has finally gone away after about 3 years.

My shoulder that I fell on in November finally stopped hurting this week. :hfive:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Did that exercise again and while it didn’t seem any easier at the time, my body doesn’t hurt today whereas last week it took three days for all the aches in my shoulders and stomach to subside, so that’s progress! Now to just stop anxiety snacking all day

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
The guy on my team who's leg basically exploded, he's back to being able to try to walk as of today. That's some good news for once.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
How long does hockey have to be cancelled for gear clearance sales to get really good?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the stores have to go out of business, the owners have to be desperate and then you have to go in person as they won’t be able to advertise the price below MAP

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I went to a public rink to work on my skating for a bit, fell, landed on my keys that were in my hoodie's pocket, bruised my ribs so badly I couldn't play hockey for two months. Got in two games before quarantine shut the local rinks down.

Tbh I don't see how hockey can come back short of anything but a Covid-19 vaccine. Yesterday I strapped on rollerblades for the first time since I was a kid and tried to stickhandle around my building's garage ... it's just not the same. Also I am way worse at roller blading than I am at ice skating.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm just pissed off that I still can't get a refund for my Bruins tickets because the games are only "postponed."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

daslog posted:

I'm just pissed off that I still can't get a refund for my Bruins tickets because the games are only "postponed."

gently caress yeah, Ticketmaster!

:capitalism:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's still too many unknowns about the virus, like how long immunity lasts or whether a vaccine is possible or if it's going to turn into a seasonal risk.

I suspect that rec league will be back after the summer but we're all going to have to accept that new outbreaks and new periods of distancing are going to be a reality for at least a year, which means weeks or months of games cancelled. If the pessimistic estimates are true it's going to be years. If one is in a high risk category it's time to think real seriously about playing sports at all unless there's a treatment breakthrough.

It's hard to overstate how badly world leaders hosed us all over with this. A pandemic was going to happen someday but it really feels like a lot of people were caught snoozing thinking it wouldn't blow up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress yeah, Ticketmaster!

:capitalism:

Actually, it's the owners who have the money not Ticketmaster. But gently caress Ticketmaster anyway.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

mr. unhsib posted:

Tbh I don't see how hockey can come back short of anything but a Covid-19 vaccine. Yesterday I strapped on rollerblades for the first time since I was a kid and tried to stickhandle around my building's garage ... it's just not the same. Also I am way worse at roller blading than I am at ice skating.
Dude I played in a summer rec roller hockey league in my early 20's and had to stop after a month because I was falling so often I was destroying myself with bruises. It was so much harder to "stop" and change directions and all that and I would end up just tripping myself up or losing grip and just spinning out. So brutal, and also a pretty nasty ego crusher to have played hockey for 15 years at that point and get beat because I couldn't consistently stay on my feet. Gave up on roller hockey right then and there.

daslog posted:

Hey Bruins "postponed" buddy! I was supposed to go to the Saturday night March 28th vs Panthers with my brother. Christmas present from Mom and Dad. Hopefully it translates to a game next season or something.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
There are a few things with inline. First the friction. When you fall you don't slide so you tend to impact harder and stick. Second is the protection. Inline players often wear much less protection due to the lighter puck and warmer temperatures. I knew a lot of guys including myself who didn't wear a girdle or any kind of hip protection. My hips got bruised often. Switching to ice felt like I was dressing got a football game.

Once you figure it out, it's actually easier than ice skating because it requires far less balance but the mechanics are different. Going from inline to ice seems weird and vice versa. It's just what you're used to and like anything takes an adjustment period.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

daslog posted:

:same: My wife got tickets to Pens v Flyers for my 40th birthday. Everything shut down the week before.

I'm seriously contemplating buying some inline skates to do something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen comments that marsblades are backordered out to like six months.

They were already a small company that was prone to supply problems, now there's a million ice skaters out there looking for a fix.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bigbillystyle posted:

Hey Bruins "postponed" buddy! I was supposed to go to the Saturday night March 28th vs Panthers with my brother. Christmas present from Mom and Dad. Hopefully it translates to a game next season or something.

Same game for me! We had good seats too. I can't see them rolling over the tickets, that's just asking for a lawsuit being filed. I also can't see there being games next year either.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

bigbillystyle posted:

Dude I played in a summer rec roller hockey league in my early 20's and had to stop after a month because I was falling so often I was destroying myself with bruises. It was so much harder to "stop" and change directions and all that and I would end up just tripping myself up or losing grip and just spinning out. So brutal, and also a pretty nasty ego crusher to have played hockey for 15 years at that point and get beat because I couldn't consistently stay on my feet. Gave up on roller hockey right then and there.

The first time you try to change direction by adjusting your "edges" and you just keep going straight is *terrifying*

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The last time I put on inline skates, I wasn't thinking and did a normal hockey stop and one knee pretty much turned 180 degrees. That was over 20 years ago and I have knee issues to this day because of that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I played a little roller decades ago, it was definitely different. More casual group so it was less intense, but it was still fun. Occasionally we'd get a little bombed, walk over to a closed-down shopping center parking lot and stack up a few carts to use as a goal, and play in the late hours of the night. Cops only ever stopped by once and let us play on when they realized we'd walked/skated there.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

calandryll posted:

The last time I put on inline skates, I wasn't thinking and did a normal hockey stop and one knee pretty much turned 180 degrees. That was over 20 years ago and I have knee issues to this day because of that.

This is the biggest reason why I'm hesitant to try roller. It's so instinctual to do a hockey stop that I'd probably hurt myself if I needed to stop suddenly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
They finally officially canceled our season instead of just postponing it. They're not even gonna attempt to have a Summer session. Their next season is being planned to start on September 1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Current cutoff for my rink is June 15. At that point they'll hand out credits for lost winter games (we were about to enter playoffs so this is only 2 games) and the summer season (which everyone had just paid for) will be refunded.

If summer season starts before that, the way I read it they're gonna cram the same number of games into two months less of ice time. Somehow.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Your rinks... communicate with you?

Lunacy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Your rinks... communicate with you?

Lunacy.

And offer refunds too. What the gently caress?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a Canadian based company that owns like 20 different rinks, and they run the ASHL. To hear them tell it is the biggest beer league in the world, so I guess they have a little more of a safety net than the one off barns.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Awww poo poo I just realized that we started the shelter-in-place orders right as our regular season ended. I imagine the season will be scrapped altogether but it would be kinda funny if we end up going straight in to playoffs with a bunch of old dudes who have barely left the couch for months.

I just hope I've got a rink to go back to once this is all said and done.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

a mysterious cloak posted:

I played a little roller decades ago, it was definitely different. More casual group so it was less intense, but it was still fun. Occasionally we'd get a little bombed, walk over to a closed-down shopping center parking lot and stack up a few carts to use as a goal, and play in the late hours of the night. Cops only ever stopped by once and let us play on when they realized we'd walked/skated there.

The league I was in was run by a couple guys around my age that were from the Carolinas and clearly played ball hockey forever growing up and played like they were playing For The Cup every Saturday. Too much for me to handle. I'll stick to a thin piece of steel and ice.

We had a church parking lot that we would play in on Saturday afternoons pretty regularly. We played in shoes though, not roller, and we surprisingly never were bothered by cops or the church. You figure a group of 10 or so 13 and 14 year old kids gathered up would cause some suspicion even if all we were doing was playing street hockey. I should also mention I'm from Cape Cod which has an offseason population of like 1/4 the summer population and the police typically have nothing to do but harass kids that are hanging out.

I remember one of our friends eventually got a real net which was a huge step up in the game from two shoes set up 4ft apart. We'd play half "ice" with clearing so we could all shoot on the real net. Those were the days.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Last I heard from my league was March 26, in an email which said they'd provide further updates on April 6th.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
There is a meeting tomorrow for the captains of our league to discuss ringers and what to do about them. Hopefully it doesn't involve blowing up teams because I finally found a team I really enjoy playing with.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And offer refunds too. What the gently caress?

Wh... What???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My league is mailing me a prorated refund check because apparently too much time has passed for them to do a partial chargeback on my credit card.