Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gravity Kills' first album has held up surprisingly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

axelblaze posted:

Agreed, Apartment 26 did as well

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Trent and Atticus, I deeply appreciate the new music and your message.

However, it is not helping me feel better about evaluating coronavirus patients all day and working on infection control algorithms.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

axelblaze posted:

I bought it on iTunes out of nostalgia and its aged okay. It's not an industrial classic or anything but they probably deserved more than being a 1-hit wonder.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
As 90s industrial rock goes, Machines of Loving Grace still holds up pretty well. I go back and revisit Concentration every few years or so.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sticklefifer posted:

As 90s industrial rock goes, Machines of Loving Grace still holds up pretty well. I go back and revisit Concentration every few years or so.

Whoa, I totally forgot I own that and probably haven’t listened to it in 10+ years. Time to fix that...

Anybody have feelings one way or the other on Prick? In the 90s I was aware they were one of the Nothing label bands and thought they were special because of that. I found the album a few years ago and... I dunno. His voice is, uh, an acquired taste. Some of the instruments/textures sound like they could have come directly off The Downward Spiral (and they probably did, since Trent produced some of it).

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.

david_a posted:

Whoa, I totally forgot I own that and probably haven’t listened to it in 10+ years. Time to fix that...

Anybody have feelings one way or the other on Prick? In the 90s I was aware they were one of the Nothing label bands and thought they were special because of that. I found the album a few years ago and... I dunno. His voice is, uh, an acquired taste. Some of the instruments/textures sound like they could have come directly off The Downward Spiral (and they probably did, since Trent produced some of it).

I love Prick. And yes, the first Prick absolutely samples TDS.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Prick is great, as are the Lucky Pierre albums. Really strong songwriting that holds up.

Machines of Loving Grace is good too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Watching old 90s industrial rock videos makes me remember how terrible music video cinematography was back then. Everything is headache-inducing extremely quick cuts, and blurry shots that occasionally fade into focus or just whip across random objects. Sometimes you see glimpses of the band, who are in a poorly lit room but mostly seen in silhouette, but usually there's some weird color filter over the whole thing and a bunch of stock footage. Why was that ever a trend?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

easy and cheap way to achieve a chaotic feeling to match the music. im sure a lot of it was diy too because nobody was paying industrial acts any money for music videos in the early 90s

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The most expensive thing about the phm video is the mile of video tape they wrapped around everything

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I thought I was the the only person on the planet who liked Machines of Loving Grace. Really, all 3 of their albums are good but Concentration is their best.

As kind of a side thought, I have been going through Amazon Music, listening to older bands who dipped their toes into the techno/pop/industrial pond in the 90's, trying to stay relevant. One of the weird outliers of this is Def Leppard's Slang. It turns out if you add drum machines and distorted vocals to butt-rock, you pretty much get Stabbing Westward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxckorw5dr0

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpZHCJjj0w
pretty lengthy interview with trent & atticus, trent rocking some long hair again (quarantine hairstyle??)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I thought Godflesh was a new band because I had never heard of them before but nope, been around the since the 80's/90's. Anyway they are good industrial but I guess they are a precursor to NiN, and not a later day ripoff (don't mean that in a purely negative way).
Anyway, for shame all this talk about Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills and such but no mention of Filter.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has Filter put out a good album after Title of Record? Amalgamut was pretty meh, and I couldn't get through Anthems for the Damned.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Madkal posted:

I thought Godflesh was a new band because I had never heard of them before but nope, been around the since the 80's/90's. Anyway they are good industrial but I guess they are a precursor to NiN, and not a later day ripoff (don't mean that in a purely negative way).
Anyway, for shame all this talk about Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills and such but no mention of Filter.

Yeah I don’t think anyone that has ever lived on this planet has accused Godflesh of being a NIN ripoff :). Sometimes they’re described as grindcore even, although that’s probably a charitable use of the term since I don’t think any similar bands are given that label. I assume it comes up because Justin played guitars on half of Napalm Death’s Scum.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Has Filter put out a good album after Title of Record? Amalgamut was pretty meh, and I couldn't get through Anthems for the Damned.

I feel like every Filter album is "very OK". Richard Patrick definitely knows how to write a catchy riff, but if anyone has anything bad to say about Trent's ability to write lyrics, Patrick is a whole other league of terrible. The Trouble With Angels is about as meh as his other stuff, with "No Love" being the catchy single that sounds suspiciously like a Rammstein riff... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eXcEsHGqdk I kinda gave up after that, but from what I've heard of subsequent albums, he hasn't changed much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not a NIN alumni, but in the mp3.com days I liked Halo In Reverse. It felt a bit on the nose when I revisited it in the early days of Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7N_IS1WFc

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Stryder posted:

I feel like every Filter album is "very OK". Richard Patrick definitely knows how to write a catchy riff, but if anyone has anything bad to say about Trent's ability to write lyrics, Patrick is a whole other league of terrible.

It makes you wonder if you can
It shakes you, puts you in a can

How. Even dumbass high school freshman me thought that was terrible, and I thought NIN was insightful and deep.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Don't forget 'He's as smart as a broom'

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am annoyed with Richard Patrick because he keeps perpetuating that "Piggy" is about him; a story literally no one else has corroborated.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

obeyasia posted:

I am annoyed with Richard Patrick because he keeps perpetuating that "Piggy" is about him; a story literally no one else has corroborated.
'Weird flex, bro.'

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
First Filter album is solid. He had weird beef with Trent for years, but they’ve since made up.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I like the Budd Dwyer song

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Now accepting bets on the new kid's name. I'll start.
Michael T. Reznor, Jr.

Azrael Chiaroscuro Reznor

Alesis Andromeda Reznor

Enya Orinoco Reznor

edit: Brian Hugh Reznor

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 14, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Madkal posted:

Y'all forgot about VAST too. Though you'd be forgiven if you did, since Jon Crosby pretty much just did sappy guitar ballads for about 10 years. But his first 3 or 4 albums before that kicked rear end. Apparently he's returned to form with his newer stuff, but I haven't checked it out yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought his albums years ago when he had them on sale on his website, but didn't know there was a Trent Connection.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always wonder if there's a friendly rivalry among the Patrick brothers over who had a cooler career.

"I got to tour with Nine Inch Nails!"

"Oh yeah? I got to kick a Terminator's rear end!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was never able to take VAST seriously. I think I had heard a tiny little of positive buzz about their first single or something and then they ended up being a last minute opener on the Psychotica/Jack Off Jill tour in 1998. People were chanting for Psychotica during his set and he seemed irritated about it, but honestly I don't think anyone knew who VAST were. Then supposedly he was out in the crowd flipping off Psychotica during their set and everyone else got really pissed off and Jack Off Jill smashed a big box of VAST promo CDs that were sitting backstage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently relistened to Short Bus and it kind of holds as grimier than Title of Record. Lyrics are extremely cringe worthy though.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Remember when Filter had a Top-40 hit with "Take a Picture"?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Any one else get weirded out thinking there are now multiple generations that have grown up with Trent Reznor as a guy who puts out three albums a year and have never known anything else?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

axelblaze posted:

Any one else get weirded out thinking there are now multiple generations that have grown up with Trent Reznor as a guy who puts out three albums a year and have never known anything else?

Trent Reznor? Isn't he that guy who does movie scores?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've been listening to NIN since 1994 and it felt like the longest I've ever waited between NIN albums was between TDS and The Fragile. The wait for With Teeth went by much faster it seemed like.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I think about that a lot. Nowadays it's not uncommon for artists to go five years between albums, but when Trent went five years between TDS and The Fragile (and, in between, did a massive world tour, released a double-video set, produced another band's album, and dropped a non-album single) it seemed like an absolute eternity.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When the Fragile came out I was in high school and With Teeth cam out my last year of college, so yeah, that felt like an eternity.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

time feels longer when you are a teenager, plus in a time before internet and infinite sources of other music for basically free, it seemed even longer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Madkal posted:

Trent Reznor? Isn't he that guy who does movie scores?

He's that guy that wants to shove his fist up yer butt :bahgawd:

PHM came out my freshman year of college. I had been getting into the industrial music scene for 2-3 years at that point, but NIN scratched an itch I wasn't even aware of.

I remember when Wish came out, a buddy had listened to it and his critique was "Trent learned to play guitar" :laffo:

Crazy that I've been listening to the guy for that long.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think I got over Short Bus after listening to it too much, so it's been a long time. I still like Title of Record a LOT though, and The Amalgamut has a few really good songs on it. I haven't listened to any of Filter's other stuff in years though. I always check it out at least once, hoping it'll be good, but I end up just getting sort of bored and skipping through tracks. Oh well.

axelblaze posted:

I think this is a generational thing and/or a difference in the way we consume media. Most bands at the time weren't putting out an album a year, and TDS was easily the peak of NIN's mainstream popularity, so it kind of made sense to slow down a bit anyway.

I've always been into the deep-dive of NIN's in-between materials though, so it didn't seem as long for me between albums. After TDS, the Closer to God maxi-single and Further Down the Spiral tided me over, then there were some soundtrack songs to keep me going, and I had gotten into a lot of other bands at the time. I remember The Fragile came out the same day as Type O's World Coming Down. I guess The Fragile to With Teeth seemed like a longer time, but again, I got into the in-between stuff like Things Falling Apart and Still/And All That Could Have Been.

In the 90s/00s, there was always a lot of crossover between NIN and Tool fans too, so if you could wait for new Tool material, new NIN seemed downright prolific.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

look at all of these people forgetting about the perfect drug and that bowie tour