Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Croatoan posted:

You are literally the first poster I've seen poo poo on BR 2049. I thought it 100% hit Ridley's original intent. Meaning, the answer to "is he a replicant?" is "does it matter? What makes you a human?". I also thought Joi was great and purposefully (possibly) hollow in the end. But yeah I think 20-45 minutes could have been cut but it was still fuckin amazing.

Ridley Scott's stated intent for Blade Runner means very little to me, since he's full of poo poo about half the time and would probably freely admit this himself. I just think that BR2049, thematically, is an incurious sequel to Blade Runner as a film, which already asked all the same questions and addressed them more succinctly and intelligently. BR2049 suffers primarily from a weak script that is obsessed with plot over characters, builds toward a twist that isn't all that interesting, introduces all these story threads like the replicant uprising that go nowhere, and has mouthpieces for the movie's themes speak in grandiose terms about Replicant Jesus that are just very tonally off from everything that has been established about this world. This is a society in decay, one that has already ceded its humanity, so the search for the One Replicant to rule them all makes no sense to me here. It's telling to me that Joi, a total nothing of a character whose dialogue is 100% expository, is what people cleave onto in this script. I don't blame Villaneuve except for the overlong runtime, but I think the writing in BR2049 is really weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joi is the core of the story, the expression that what matters isn't whether something was "real" or not, but whether what it meant to us was real and how it shaped us.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Things are HAPPENING over at Quibi

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That loving thing’s directed by Sam Raimi too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I made fun of twitter when it came out so I'll avoid the same mistake here and say I really loving hope Quibi doesn't become a thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you just dont want to be separated from your golden formats

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a remake of The Fugitive on quibi starring Keifer Sutherland playing the marshall role and it looks really generic. I thought all quibi shows were supposed to be crazy. I'm assuming all these scenes were designed to go viral by gifs on tiktok and twitter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Only thing that would make this better would be a flatline sound immediately before it cuts.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a remake of The Fugitive on quibi starring Keifer Sutherland playing the marshall role and it looks really generic. I thought all quibi shows were supposed to be crazy. I'm assuming all these scenes were designed to go viral by gifs on tiktok and twitter.

You're not allowed to screenshot the app. The baffling decisions never end with this thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought all the major streamers didn't allow screencapping on phones?

Mu Zeta posted:

They needed something for every major demographic, so they had to have something for dads. But IIRC that's one of those that is planned to be reedited and repackaged into something more standard at a later point.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

I thought all the major streamers didn't allow screencapping on phones?

Maybe? IDK, I have a pretty small phone and almost never watch video on it. It just seemed to come up a lot in the various Quibi reviews I read. Seems kinda weird to me to choke off that potential free advertising.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was trying to get some screenshots of the UI of Hulu a few months back and IIRC got an error message that said I couldn't screencap. It's a copy protection thing so people don't screen record and pirate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I had an issue a while back trying to get a screen grab of something off of Youtube TV and the second I tried to hit print screen/used the Windows screen capture program the window went black.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Psych_USA/status/1250597955695898624?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sweet. Something that’s light and fun like Psych is exactly what I need right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/abobrow/status/1250576566192500736

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can't really put my finger on why but I can't stand Trevor Noah now

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Tonight's Brockmire was great. I was worried when they brought a character back, and it has been a little predictable but this ep felt like the first season again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Finally watching Perpetual Grace LTD since I currently have Epix free. Yeah, this does feel a lot like Patriot. To bad this got cancelled too.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

So happy Omundson is going to be apart of this one

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Croatoan posted:

CineD is like the Watchmen thread but a subforum.

The Devs thread is pretty obnoxious right about now.

Any thread dealing with sci fi seems to go that way

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not sure of Ridley's intent after this quote

Only quote worth remembering

Harrison Ford posted:

“Goddammit, I thought we said I wasn’t a replicant!”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Ridley Scott's stated intent for Blade Runner means very little to me, since he's full of poo poo about half the time and would probably freely admit this himself. I just think that BR2049, thematically, is an incurious sequel to Blade Runner as a film, which already asked all the same questions and addressed them more succinctly and intelligently. BR2049 suffers primarily from a weak script that is obsessed with plot over characters, builds toward a twist that isn't all that interesting, introduces all these story threads like the replicant uprising that go nowhere, and has mouthpieces for the movie's themes speak in grandiose terms about Replicant Jesus that are just very tonally off from everything that has been established about this world. This is a society in decay, one that has already ceded its humanity, so the search for the One Replicant to rule them all makes no sense to me here. It's telling to me that Joi, a total nothing of a character whose dialogue is 100% expository, is what people cleave onto in this script. I don't blame Villaneuve except for the overlong runtime, but I think the writing in BR2049 is really weak.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I've seen things the best things and media doesn't believe me. But look the attack ships very big ships huge, bigger than most ships but they're on fire the people of Orion are very nasty people by the way. Very nasty. And the C-beams, big beautiful C-beams, the best C-beams anyone has ever seen and a lot of people are now saying they should change the name to the trump gate. We're looking into that. All those moments the most moments the best moments and they're saying they are bad moments but we know they really are good moments, but they lost them, and the loser democrats are crying there little tears in the rain *does weird hand motion pantomiming crying* and now it's time for me to never die. *slowly dies while ignoring journalists questions*

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Holy poo poo I needed that laugh today

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched the finale of Devs. I have complicated feelings about it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The finale of Devs went so far up its own rear end it broke the time-rear end continuum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
poo poo the good quality rip doesn’t go up for another 24 hours or so :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know I said this before but I feel like if it wasn't in the title Psych could've dropped its "pretends to be a psychic" gimmick 5 episodes in for all the use it gets.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I know I said this before but I feel like if it wasn't in the title Psych could've dropped its "pretends to be a psychic" gimmick 5 episodes in for all the use it gets.

My memory is fuzzy but I feel like it gets mentioned almost every episode and has Shawn pantomime having a psychic vision constantly to explain what he "sees"

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

started watching westworld with my housemates. no one pays attention so I’m asked for recaps as we’re going. when I first watched it as it aired i thought it was a bit of a waste of time but now it’s the right combination of dumbness and quality (set design and plot wise, not dialogue) that makes it a fun enough watch. Season 2 really isn’t that bad, but the best episodes make the weaker ones seem way worse.

the music covers begin to feel too cute, but I admit I like the recent arrangement of Wicked Games

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I was legitimately psyched that there was gonna be a celebrity death worth celebrating but it turns out social media lied to me and now I pass my disappointment on to you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pentyne posted:

My memory is fuzzy but I feel like it gets mentioned almost every episode and has Shawn pantomime having a psychic vision constantly to explain what he "sees"

Right, but it never fuels the narrative in any way past the first season, and it feels more like something they stick to because that was the pitch rather than something the show needs. He could've just come clean to the cops years ago and just went "Yeah I'm just a detective" and I can hardly think how that would affect the script of 99% of the episodes. This isn't even a complaint, it's just something I noticed binge watching the show.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh god I completely forgot this was happening

https://twitter.com/peacockTV/status/1250593447729344512

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh wow. Emmy Rossum as Angelyne is going to be something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZvQDf2vVQc

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New season of What We Do in the Shadows off to a very strong start.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Oh god I completely forgot this was happening

https://twitter.com/peacockTV/status/1250593447729344512

Yeeeeeeesh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lurdiak posted:

Right, but it never fuels the narrative in any way past the first season, and it feels more like something they stick to because that was the pitch rather than something the show needs. He could've just come clean to the cops years ago and just went "Yeah I'm just a detective" and I can hardly think how that would affect the script of 99% of the episodes. This isn't even a complaint, it's just something I noticed binge watching the show.

It adds humor to a lot of the situations, plus they get a good chunk of business from people thinking he is truly psychic to do things like exorcisms and such. In a bunch of episodes he mentions cases you don't actually see him work. To go super deep, Gus mentions in the first season that psychic detectives aren't held to the same license requirements that an actual Private Investigator is. Last, it becomes a big plot point in the final season or two with his relationship with Juliet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Yeeeeeeesh.

That looks like a skit from 30 Rock.

It's like every joke and satire made about Tv and politics in the late 2000s early 2010s is now coming true. Those "lunatic locals town halls" from Parks and Rec are now pretty standard behavior.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Chairman Capone posted:

New season of What We Do in the Shadows off to a very strong start.

Seriously. Both of those episodes were fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Looks like Brave New World is getting the Fahrenheit 451 (2018) treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC04ypdLOa4