Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggiDee posted:

I wanna see his version of Starlight Express where the camera is also on rollerskates.

That sounds like a surefire recipe to give the audience motion sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

YggiDee posted:

I wanna see his version of Starlight Express where the camera is also on rollerskates.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like a surefire recipe to give the audience motion sickness.

That dril tweet about being bodyslammed but instead of victory wine it's best picture soup

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
and willy wonka will be horribly miscast

like johnny depp

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Has anyone heard from Tom Hooper this year. The most recent interview I can find with him is from late December. Has he gone underground since then?

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/12/tom-hooper-cats/604147/

quote:

"Sims: Watching it, still, there’s a decision your brain has to make, like, I understand that these are tall, furry, naked people.

Hooper: Naked is your word. [Laughs]

Sims: Yes, naked is my word, but they largely don’t have clothes on. Once that switch flips, then there’s a weird sort of hyper-reality to it.

Hooper: And that was the fun of it, trying to pull off that hyper-reality. I genuinely feel like it’s a great film to see in the cinema, because you’re being transported to a hyper-real world. The decision to be in that room, turn your phone off, commit—that’s the best way to see it."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He's in director jail.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ccs posted:

He's in director jail.

He's committed every director crime.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom Hooper that the film should be seen in a theater and it does transport you to a hyperreal world.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tom Hooper's curse is to be lauded for his mediocre work and hounded for his genius.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory being directed by Tom Hooper. The musical numbers are all headshots of the actors, and Augustus Gloop eats a few Oompa Loompas along the way because why the gently caress not.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They should get him to direct a film adaptation of the recent Broadway version, maybe if he directs some true, undiluted garbage he'll produce something really astonishing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I appreciate this username/post combo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They should get him to direct a film adaptation of the recent Broadway version, maybe if he directs some true, undiluted garbage he'll produce something really astonishing.

Glad quarantine got you posting again

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BiggestBatman posted:

They started out as a computer graphics unit at lucasfilm, got sold off in Lucas' divorce

Source: my aunt who was there at the time

Yeah, that's what I meant. Guess I used the wrong term for a team that only does in-house effects.

Stained glass knight looks better than nearly all CGI for the next decade or two though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKb61j8P4fU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Give Hooper Hamilton. I wanna see theater geek heads pop scanners style

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

weekly font posted:

:yeshaha:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

weekly font posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

weekly font posted:

He would probably try to make a photo realistic Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
ALEX ANDER HAMIL TON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWBs46USqE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alhazred posted:

:stonk:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alhazred posted:

There are worse things...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's exactly what Hamilton's fanbase deserves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Schrodinger's Butthole Cut

It both exists and does not exist

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

TrixRabbi posted:

Just putting the pieces together between Tom Hooper's inability to film anything that's not a point and shoot costume drama. He hosed up Les Mis by insisting the recordings be done live on set which necessitated far too many extreme close-ups to mask the boom mics, and he hosed up Cats by being completely unwilling to follow the protocol in VFX development cause he couldn't immediately see the image he wanted to see.
Les Mis could have worked that way but he would have needed to insist on actors who could actually sing in order to pull it off. I still can't understand what Russell Crowe was doing in that film or who in casting or production thought he was going to move some important needle.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NorgLyle posted:

Les Mis could have worked that way but he would have needed to insist on actors who could actually sing in order to pull it off. I still can't understand what Russell Crowe was doing in that film or who in casting or production thought he was going to move some important needle.

It's only really Russell Crowe who's terrible isn't it? Most of the others pull it off fine because most of the others are Broadway actors. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone terrible though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean for Anne Hathaway's big number they made her sit down. I have no idea how good a singer she is but that doesn't help.

Hooper's arc is so bizarre. He wasn't a good fit for Les Mis but you can sort of imagine the studio thinking "Okay, this guy's done drama and historical stuff, he can bring some grit to it and make it more realistic", which is a dumb approach but whatever. But then, based on that, Universal gets him on a fantasy musical revue where basically every shot is going to be a visual effect.

Like I'm trying to think of a more egregious mismatch between director and material and I've got nothing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean for Anne Hathaway's big number they made her sit down. I have no idea how good a singer she is but that doesn't help.

Hooper's arc is so bizarre. He wasn't a good fit for Les Mis but you can sort of imagine the studio thinking "Okay, this guy's done drama and historical stuff, he can bring some grit to it and make it more realistic", which is a dumb approach but whatever. But then, based on that, Universal gets him on a fantasy musical revue where basically every shot is going to be a visual effect.

Like I'm trying to think of a more egregious mismatch between director and material and I've got nothing.

It's about on par with David Lynch directing Dune, or Jean-Pierre Jeunet directing a Joss Whedon script for an Alien movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sethsez posted:

It's about on par with David Lynch directing Dune, or Jean-Pierre Jeunet directing a Joss Whedon script for an Alien movie.

The former might be a good comparison as a hot mess with a cult following.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lynch's dune was still really interesting despite how much of a hot mess it can be. I have not seen Les Mis but a contemporary Hooper comparison to it makes me sad :(

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've not smoked weed for years, and brother in law is coming over in an hour with a 'nuclear doobie' for me and my wife (who has never smoked). We have decided to watch this.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching Cats for the fifth time now, because I just got the Blu Ray and I'm watching it with Hooper's commentary, which is comically dry. He keeps talking about how it's a coming of age picaresque.

Also, when I redeemed the digital code, it came with another code for a free movie if I signed up for Universal's mailing list, so now I have a copy of Hooper's Les Mis.

edit: I know I'm not supposed to go outside unless I absolutely have to, but I absolutely have to get a couple beers before I sit down and watch the 40+ minutes of bonus features.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 15, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Twitch posted:

I'm watching Cats for the fifth time now, because I just got the Blu Ray and I'm watching it with Hooper's commentary, which is comically dry. He keeps talking about how it's a coming of age picaresque.

Also, when I redeemed the digital code, it came with another code for a free movie if I signed up for Universal's mailing list, so now I have a copy of Hooper's Les Mis.

edit: I know I'm not supposed to go outside unless I absolutely have to, but I absolutely have to get a couple beers before I sit down and watch the 40+ minutes of bonus features.

Important question: Is the commentary pre-release or post release? Inquiring minds need to know

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It would have to be post-release, editing was finished only a few hours before it came out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

sethsez posted:

Dune was good though (and Lynch is way more talented and versatile than Hooper.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

henpod posted:

I've not smoked weed for years, and brother in law is coming over in an hour with a 'nuclear doobie' for me and my wife (who has never smoked). We have decided to watch this.

How did this nightmare go?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Friends Are Evil posted:

Important question: Is the commentary pre-release or post release? Inquiring minds need to know

As mentioned, it was probably post-release, but the reception of the movie is never mentioned anywhere.

And the bonus features, which are the bog-standard series of short interviews over production clips, are full of people with huge muscular asses in tight, tight dancing/mocap outfits. I haven't checked but these are probably on Youtube.

It's a reasonably well done Blu Ray, but I wish the feature about "cat school" was several hours long, instead of only a couple minutes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The outfits they wear actually aren't mocap, they're for doing motion tracking. That's what all the little red diamonds and white paint dots on their faces are for. Basically you have a scan of the set and create a matchmove camera to mimic the physical camera, then you track multiple dots on the suit and faces (usually 30 points per part of character, taking an average of 10 minutes to track per dot per 150 fr shot) and combined with the data from the matchmove camera, the software solves where the body was in physical space for that part of the shot. You do separate tracks for the torso, hands, and head, and then go in and clean it all up with animation, adding all the subtle rotations on body parts that weren't tracked (like elbows, hips, etc.) You also have to equalize the depth, because each track will be slightly different.

Its what they also had to do in Avengers when they designed the white suits they wear after the movie was filmed. But Avengers only had 6 characters in those suits and that was only for a portion of the film. Cats had 30 characters that had to be tracked that way across the entire film, and most shots are ensemble shots with all at least 10-20 characters.

Because its so labor intensive and above all boring, most of this work is outsourced to India. Which can create numerous problems with quality control, etc.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 16, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Co-vid Mask
the quar-an-tine caaaaaaaat

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

How did this nightmare go?

We had a lot of fun watching it, lots of 'oh, poo poo', 'why did they do that' and general groans when something disgusting was on screen.

Pretty much the same reactions as everyone else. They just made so many bizzarre descisions with this, that overall it just ends up being very uncanny, strange and unsettling. Very much like some kind of weird drug dream. I did kind of appreciate some of the dancing sometimes, but that's about it.

I was fairly baked, so it's a bit of a blur. Random ramblings from what I remember:

- The plot? What the hell is the plot? We had no idea what the hell was going on or why. These cats all compete for the chance to go to heaven, or something? Do they die when chosen and 'reborn'? Are they all in pergutory? Why does Judy Dench get to be the decider? We had no idea about who the characters were, or what their motivations were.
- JELLICLE JELLICLE JELLICLE.
- Was Idris Elba supposed to be death or something? Why does he teleport
- VERY horny movie. All the yowling, creeping, face rubbing. Shots of open legs, slinking around. Crotchless Idrid Elba. Judy Dench stretching leg out on the couch.
- We were delighted when we saw Sir Ian Mckellen lapping up water from that tray. What a sight.
- The fat house cat has dancing cockroaches and eats them while they are singing and dancing.
- Were those tiny things that sang, mice or kittens? I thought they were mice, but then the magic cat called them kittens later on when he pulled them from his hat.
- Proportions were insane and all over the place. They looked tiny on train tracks, then bigger in other settings.
- When the fat cat was rooting through bins and the food was everything, they had these entire roast chickens / turkeys. They were smaller than the cats.
- Cat Judy Dench was the worst / best part. Looked utterly horrible. Creepy old-lady hands and her jacket made her look like she had mad biceps.
- Did that satan cat make the other fat cat commit suicide? He jumped down a pipe or something.
- When the humans acting as the cats went on all fours, they looked like horrible monkeys from the body movement.
- I hate James Corden even more now.

I'm sure more will come back to me. We were in a haze the whole movie, but had a lot of fun watching it and commenting on the weird poo poo we were seeing. I don't regret watching this, but I never want to see it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, that's pretty much right.

I think it doesn't help that I'm pretty sure a fair bit of the movie is meant to be unsettling, but which parts exactly is impossible to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/cmckendry/status/1250600179427872768