Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Why did that become a meme anyway? Is it just because Zendaya's stage name was as ridiculous as her character's name was in Smallfoot or was there more to it?

Song just sounds funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5YqFKjTCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Personally the meme and original video works for me because the “[actor] is [character]” marketing gimmick works by getting your attention with a big, well-revered actor or a character of any renown, even if it’s as simple as being the character the movie is named after. “Daniel Craig is Benoit Blanc” is like, ooh, I gotta see what this Benoit Blanc guy is all about. Or “Tom Holland is Peter Parker” is like, oh, so that’s how they’re doing this character now.

Zendaya, they proudly proclaim, is Meechee. Cool. What the gently caress is a Meechee?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"What the gently caress is a Zendaya?" was also a perfectly valid question until like a year ago, because she's yet another Disney star who nobody knew until studio execs started loudly insisting that we all know and love her.

(Unlike the usual for that, though, she's actually a perfectly decent actress and I'm alright with her.)

e: holy poo poo, other than Greatest Showman (now owned by Disney anyways), Smallfoot, her very brief role on The OA and Euphoria, her entire loving career so far has been directly tied to Disney. :stare:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 15, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't even know about the song, I just thought that "Zendaya is Meechee" became a meme because it's two nonsense words that somehow are supposed to be a selling point for some b-tier animated movie. The meme was the first time I heard of Zendaya, in any case.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Clowner posted:

You should probably check yourself into a mental institution.

The cinematography and effects and direction were wonderful (the box scanning scene exempted). The plot and setting decisions were so anathema to what I wanted and what interested me I became thankful Dune is an adaptation.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Barudak posted:

The cinematography and effects and direction were wonderful (the box scanning scene exempted). The plot and setting decisions were so anathema to what I wanted and what interested me I became thankful Dune is an adaptation.

I like a lot of stuff in BR 2069 but having a chosen one plot is such a weird decision.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

porfiria posted:

I like a lot of stuff in BR 2069 but having a chosen one plot is such a weird decision.

I like BR2049 a lot but that was weird. Like it's a better film than some of the parts in it, or is a very good film that could have been a great film and was on the way to it but they stopped short. (Adjust for your values of "very good" or "great".)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It has been a while since I saw it but I remember it being pretty good, but not as tightly executed as the original. I'm glad that BR2049 focuses entirely on the buildup to a revolution and stops just before it begins, though. A lesser film would definitely have tried to depict the entire collapse of society in two and a half hours.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blade Runner 2049 surpasses the original and is in the top 5 sci-fi movies of all time. Anyone who disagrees gets a wedgie

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The chosen one plot is as meaningful as a paper origami though.
It's a kid that just like other kids, it's not particularly special at its core.
Hell, k's journey is the reversal of the chosen one plot, you can still be a cog and effect change.

I like it a lot, is not super subtle but it's a gorgeous movie with fantastic performances.even Ford gives a modicum of effort.batista Vs k is amazing work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's an intentional subversion of a chosen one plot. The entire point is that every underprivileged person wants to be the chosen one because they think it means they are special and important and it can lift them out of their conditions, however in reality changing society and upending inequality is in the hands of everyone, born special or not. I found it incredibly refreshing.

And yeah, top 5 sci-fi films of all time for certain.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I was really glad I saw it in the theater and not at home. It's excellent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Despite having way more exposition, the sci-fi narrative of Blade Runner 20XX is really dumb. And it doesn't build on the plot or themes of the original at all.

The most concrete praise the sequel gets is something about "subverting the chosen one narrative", which is the same thing people say about the dire Disney Star Wars movies. And, in that respect, it's still way inferior to rival sci-fi film The Life Of Brian.

The cinematography is good, but it plays out like one of those fanedits where they reinsert all the deleted scenes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blade Runner 69420 excises basically all of the nightmare logic and dreamstate imagery that’s part of what makes the original so interesting to watch and is dreadfully, unbelievably boring as a result.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

Why did that become a meme anyway? Is it just because Zendaya's stage name was as ridiculous as her character's name was in Smallfoot or was there more to it?

White people think black people's names are funny, part XXXVII.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Blade runner 2049 sinned by not depicting the agonizing and excruciating murder of Jared Leto

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it's an intentional subversion of a chosen one plot. The entire point is that every underprivileged person wants to be the chosen one because they think it means they are special and important and it can lift them out of their conditions, however in reality changing society and upending inequality is in the hands of everyone, born special or not. I found it incredibly refreshing.

And yeah, top 5 sci-fi films of all time for certain.

I would fascinated to know what else you consider a top sci fi movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1250533353591197696?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo yes!

When did trank do this

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I thought BR2049 was very good but I also think that apart from the Pale Fire interrogation scene almost every aspect of the movie has previously been done better by others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BR2049's chief, primary problem is that it's too loving long. It's nearly a full loving hour longer than the original and doesn't do anything good with that time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This whole trailer is just Tom Hardy squinting

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

BR2049's chief, primary problem is that it's too loving long. It's nearly a full loving hour longer than the original and doesn't do anything good with that time.

It’s too short imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I definitely dozed off during part of it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vegetable posted:

I see you've watched Tom Hardy movies before!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It’s too short imo

:hmmyes:

DeimosRising posted:

I would fascinated to know what else you consider a top sci fi movie

I can't imagine anything positive coming out of that discussion based on your phrasing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It’s too short imo

A third of the movie by volume is just Ryan Gosling wandering around various wastelands looking sad. If the movie was at all respectful of my time to begin with, and actually used its 2h45min runtime well, then I might agree with this, but for my money it absolutely the gently caress did not and you could very easily shave nearly an hour off of it and still get a perfectly cromulent (and probably significantly better) movie.

e: Like, doing exactly this has been one of my pet projects for a while, I just don't have the RAM to fit a 3-hour movie into Premiere at the moment.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 16, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

needed more Ryan Gosling shooting motherfuckers

AIMBOT BITCH

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to everyone else's complaints, Jared Leto's character felt awful for me because his dialog felt like TVTropes trying to write a villain and the ending immediately reminded me of bad films, especially anime, trying to add cheap weight to their ending while ignoring all the outcomes of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A third of the movie by volume is just Ryan Gosling wandering around various wastelands looking sad. If the movie was at all respectful of my time to begin with, and actually used its 2h45min runtime well, then I might agree with this, but for my money it absolutely the gently caress did not and you could very easily shave nearly an hour off of it and still get a perfectly cromulent (and probably significantly better) movie.

e: Like, doing exactly this has been one of my pet projects for a while, I just don't have the RAM to fit a 3-hour movie into Premiere at the moment.

I also tend to prefer shorter films, but efficiency isn't the goal of all cinema. It's an artform and art often needs whitespace to achieve its intended effect. I had no desire to get in and out of this story quickly, and I thought the mood and atmosphere of the piece were ideal and were served by an extended length. But I see it being functional as well, as K is so repressed that it leads to his character having to communicate much of what we need to know about him from small nonverbal moments. But the film allowing for those character moments to be small and doled out slowly over the course of the film was very much to its benefit from my perspective. The pace and room for subtler performances and less frenzied storytelling is the whitespace of this film. Lopping it off for the sake of efficiency is like telling a painter to fill in every inch of his canvas with noise because otherwise it's wasted space.

That sort of thing doesn't have to be for you, but criticizing a movie for not being a tight, lean package is a preference you're bringing to the table, not an objective measure of quality.

e: Not to say there aren't legitimate complaints about the film, but I personally don't think that length is one of them. Anything involving Wallace is definitely legit for sure.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 16, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I enjoy the world and sounds of blade runner more than the story. It’s why the original is just okay to me. I hate deckard and his character and the love story so much but the visuals and music are gorgeous. And Roy Batty is an icon.

2049 worked better for me all around, but seeing it in a loud rear end imax theater really sold it for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

The last third of the movie better be Tom Hardy drooling and fishing in his own swimming pool screaming at invisible fish for not biting.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the title made me think itd be a weird biopic but this actually looks pretty good what the hell

Segue
May 23, 2007

Having rewatched the original Blade Runner recently in theatres, a lot of the actual script isn't that great. It's just the whole movie has an incredible gritty style and world building that fills in all the weaknesses of the plot. The whole thing is a mood.

2049 has a very similar feel of the themes and visuals making up for its own problems of fan service and looking back to the original and some would argue slow pacing. Its feel is a lot less gritty and more vacuous (in a good, hollowed-out cold tech wasteland way).

They feel like really good companion pieces to me, each flawed but visually and philosophically compelling that they stick with you and if you want you can dive deep into your own interpretations and overlook any problems.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should’ve called it Big Boy and have it be a Dick Tracy prequel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Segue posted:

Having rewatched the original Blade Runner recently in theatres, a lot of the actual script isn't that great. It's just the whole movie has an incredible gritty style and world building that fills in all the weaknesses of the plot. The whole thing is a mood.

2049 has a very similar feel of the themes and visuals making up for its own problems of fan service and looking back to the original and some would argue slow pacing. Its feel is a lot less gritty and more vacuous (in a good, hollowed-out cold tech wasteland way).

They feel like really good companion pieces to me, each flawed but visually and philosophically compelling that they stick with you and if you want you can dive deep into your own interpretations and overlook any problems.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I've seen things the best things and media doesn't believe me. But look the attack ships very big ships huge, bigger than most ships but they're on fire the people of Orion are very nasty people by the way. Very nasty. And the C-beams, big beautiful C-beams, the best C-beams anyone has ever seen and a lot of people are now saying they should change the name to the trump gate. We're looking into that. All those moments the most moments the best moments and they're saying they are bad moments but we know they really are good moments, but they lost them, and the loser democrats are crying there little tears in the rain *does weird hand motion pantomiming crying* and now it's time for me to never die. *slowly dies while ignoring journalists questions*

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Despite having way more exposition, the sci-fi narrative of Blade Runner 20XX is really dumb. And it doesn't build on the plot or themes of the original at all.

The most concrete praise the sequel gets is something about "subverting the chosen one narrative", which is the same thing people say about the dire Disney Star Wars movies. And, in that respect, it's still way inferior to rival sci-fi film The Life Of Brian.

The cinematography is good, but it plays out like one of those fanedits where they reinsert all the deleted scenes.

Top 5 sci-fi movies, go.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Clowner posted:

Top 5 sci-fi movies, go.

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

1. Star Wars the Phantom Menace

2. Star Wars Attack of the Clones

3. Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

4. Dragonball Evolution

5. Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War