Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
When the theater starts rumbling and my seat is shaking as a 500 meter loving sandworm of Arrakis bursts out of the ground in fantastic CGI the last thing I'll be thinking of is the gloves worn by Muad'dib. This movie already looks amazing and we've seen maybe 1% of the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Clipperton posted:

Sure, but again, I saw them as made by craftsmen in guilds rather than a bunch of guys punching the clock on the ornithopter assembly line. Bespoke nukes :v:

Okay I do like the idea of bespoke nukes :v:

But really it's more all the stuff that's needed to get to the stage of making ornithopters or nuclear weapons or what have you. You can't make metal alloys or enriched uranium in an atelier.

But who knows, maybe they all just buy stuff from the Ixians.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

Okay I do like the idea of bespoke nukes :v:

But really it's more all the stuff that's needed to get to the stage of making ornithopters or nuclear weapons or what have you. You can't make metal alloys or enriched uranium in an atelier.

But who knows, maybe they all just buy stuff from the Ixians.

Yeah you'd have to assume the base level of technology was such that you could make high tech like shields and spice crawlers with a feudal mode of production. And the keepers of the technology that makes it all possible (Ix, Richesse) are regarded with suspicion and regulated with a heavy hand (which tracks with the books iirc) since they're fundamentally antithetical to the whole structure of the economy.

All of which is to say I just want to see armour and swords and shield belts that are individualized and unique and cool and not stamped out at the Ford plant between shifts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WarMECH posted:

When the theater starts rumbling and my seat is shaking as a 500 meter loving sandworm of Arrakis bursts out of the ground in fantastic CGI the last thing I'll be thinking of is the gloves worn by Muad'dib.

I declare Kanly.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This is probably just me but I'm not sure I understand why Duke Leto is wearing armour when he, and the other higher ups in the House, should have a shield belt on at all times.

Armour seems appropriate for the rank and file because even in the year 10,131 that sounds needlessly expensive to give everyone a personal shield

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Freme are Zensunni

Broke: Fremen are Zensunni

Woke: Zensunni are Meechee

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kassad posted:

I don't see anything wrong with these costumes but I do hope members of the imperial court have insanely elaborate costumes (if we see them in this film). They're literally decadent nobility constantly reminding everyone else that they're better than them.

Yeah, I do too.

House Atreides should have a totally clean, anodyne look to them, though. They need to look upscale and "modern" to contrast with the Fremen, whose styles are very worn and utilitarian, but they also need to look restrained and humble vs. the extreme decadence of the other Houses. Tailored blacks and greys with simple lines accomplishes that goal: they'll appear cold and technocratic to the Fremen, but plain and unimpressive to people like the Harkonnen.

It's the Harkonnens or Shaddam IV who need to go balls-out on costume design. An obese pedophile in a hover-harness who lives on a BDSM planet can pretty much look as crazy as they want. Like, they need to go full Space Caligula with it.

If i was going to complain about something, it's that I don't understand why the still-suits are black in this version, too. Their goal is to offset the extreme heat and dryness of the deep desert, and to make the wearer blend into their surroundings. Shouldn't they be a lighter color, white to reflect more sunlight or tan to look like part of the landscape? A more earth-tone look would also serve the story's themes, painting the Fremen as these extensions of the planet's ecology, and making Paul's shift from a pale vampire in black to a tan desert ninja way more visually striking.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aces High posted:

This is probably just me but I'm not sure I understand why Duke Leto is wearing armour when he, and the other higher ups in the House, should have a shield belt on at all times.

Armour seems appropriate for the rank and file because even in the year 10,131 that sounds needlessly expensive to give everyone a personal shield

Maybe the higher ups get a shield belt AND armor, while the rank and file just get shields?

Of course maybe they just dropped the whole personal shield concept and just gave everyone power armor instead

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If all they do is sword fighting when they have their shields on it 100% makes sense that they'd also wear armor.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The angles in the armor design sorta echo the shield effects from Lynch's Dune.

I do hope the imperial court's uniforms are ostentatious, but I'm fine with the Atreides being pretty low key.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Aces High posted:

:nyd: it is the year

My guess is they've made the shields a further function of the armor, at least for the Atreides. That solves a couple potential visual problems: how to quickly indicate something (especially actors) is shielded without an over the top or distracting effect (Lynch), allowing shield effects to be more subtle now that there's a faster visual cue, making unarmored (thus unshielded) combat visually distinct and obviously more deadly, (thinking ahead) easily showing the captured Atreides that Feyd fights is only half-shielded. Plus wearing armor just makes logical sense in a sword fight, shield or not.

If they went with belts they'd either have to always have some sort of un-subtle effect happening, or show it once or twice and then forget about it because it gets in the way (Lynch). There's also the possibility that other factions may have different shield tech, like maybe the Harkonnens do belts sometimes (the better to show off their fashion/rippling abs); when Feyd is in the arena we won't immediately see that he has a shield, and the reveal that he does have one can play in to the characterization of him and his family.

Or maybe they dropped the concept entirely, and the focus on edged weapons is presented as a cultural thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Or maybe they dropped the concept entirely, and the focus on edged weapons is presented as a cultural thing.

That honestly wouldn't be the worst.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah that would be pretty dumb if they had lasers but just preferred swords.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Presumably along with that change they'd also shoot at each other more.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah that would be pretty dumb if they had lasers but just preferred swords.

So like us

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I do think that the shields make for a lot of what makes Dune stands out, and would affect things visually, to the point where it would actually kind of suck if they dropped it. The idea that due to a technological advance, firearms as we know them are militarily useless, and even laser pew-pew guns are extremely risky, is a real game-changer... and if they ditch that just so they can have scenes with conventional, cheap to film gun play, that'd be kind of lame. Sooner imagine the death of humanity than an action scene framing not centered on the firearm, etc.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I demand purpler lips

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

edit: that tbh was not meant to mock the guy above me, who has a pretty great point about going hog in other designs tho

the costuming is the best thing about the miniseries, get the hell outta here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also while i don't necessarily advocate for "true to the books" as a guiding principle, if they were, stillsuit masks are supposed to make it impossible to hold a conversation (except by sign language)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
one of the behind the scenes articles describes the baron as "rhino-like"... can't wait

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Aces High posted:

IIRC in the books they go out of the way to mention that even Emperor Shaddam IV wears a slightly fancier version of the Sardaukar uniform instead of fancy finery so maybe this combination of "I'm just one of the people"/naked display of force just caught on with other houses.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 16, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

one of the behind the scenes articles describes the baron as "rhino-like"... can't wait

And it's Stellan Skarsgård, man! :dance:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/johnboyega/status/1250809963292889088?s=21

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

AceOfFlames posted:

IIRC in the books they go out of the way to mention that even Emperor Shaddam IV wears a slightly fancier version of the Sardaukar uniform instead of fancy finery so maybe this combination of "I'm just one of the people"/naked display of force just caught on with other houses.

Lynches Dune has the Emperor just being the Pahlavi monarchs who dressed in gussied up Persian Cossack uniforms.

e: How did I never notice those makarna before?

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 16, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

More toned down than gussied up.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

The only design failure of the Lynch production (just counting elements from the book) was the Sardaukar's "environmental suit" look.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterWeller posted:

The angles in the armor design sorta echo the shield effects from Lynch's Dune.

I do hope the imperial court's uniforms are ostentatious, but I'm fine with the Atreides being pretty low key.

In the book aren't the Atreides noticeably low key in general? Black uniforms with some red, their emblem is a dark red or green hawk, etc. The only other house that gets major time is the Harkonnen and they're noticeably more ostentatious with the blue on white huge griffon motif and so on. In general the Atreides are in "bad guy" colors and looks in the book while the Harkonnen are the opposite.

Nothing agains the Lynch outfits either which of course fuckin' rule across the board.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of John Boyega, is Kevin J. Anderson still involved in this movie? I remember back in the 00s he and Herbert Jr. were behind the attempts to get a new Dune movie off the ground but I don't know if that project became this or it is something completely separate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's got a producer credit on it, but that could mean anything. Hopefully it means he gets a little cash and is told to shut up and sit in the corner.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paolomania posted:

The only design failure of the Lynch production (just counting elements from the book) was the Sardaukar's "environmental suit" look.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nursing flaps? "Drink, Charlie."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

In the book aren't the Atreides noticeably low key in general? Black uniforms with some red, their emblem is a dark red or green hawk, etc. The only other house that gets major time is the Harkonnen and they're noticeably more ostentatious with the blue on white huge griffon motif and so on. In general the Atreides are in "bad guy" colors and looks in the book while the Harkonnen are the opposite.

Nothing agains the Lynch outfits either which of course fuckin' rule across the board.

In the Middle East red-and-black and blue-and-white have their own significance.

:ssh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

In the Middle East red-and-black and blue-and-white have their own significance.

:ssh:

Herbert was very very inconsistent with his use of clothing colors vs. their significance for the situation not just as analogs to real life but even in the setting itself, especially for the Fremen when various ceremonies are described. So I don't think you're going to get much out of the book's colors overall beyond the most absolute general.

But if you want to go down to general regions of the world, I found this breakdown interesting if every general:
https://k-international.com/blog/color-meanings-around-the-world/

But if his plan was to use clothing colors from a viewpoint of how the Middle Eastern world would interpret them, I don't think you'd find anything specifically consistent there either.

The_Doctor posted:

Nursing flaps? "Drink, Charlie."

If you get punished by the Harkonnens they make you milk a cat, if you get punished by the Atreides...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Black uniforms with some red, their emblem is a dark red or green hawk, etc.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

QED

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i am excited for D U N C

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i am excited for Do U Nipple Clamp

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I never felt Lynch's Atreides uniforms were that ostentatious myself. They looked like military dress uniforms, and they were in the correct colors.

But yeah, the Atreides in the book are relatively low key. I think the intention is a contrast between the Harkonnens who are all about empty symbols and the Atreides who are all about symbolic actions. Baron Harkonnen floats around his giant palace and schemes of ways to best use his pawns. Duke Leto hangs out with his troops and works to cultivate his "air of bravura."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean yeah no poo poo but I'm talking about how the characters are dressed and what Herbert has that say about them or not in the book.

PeterWeller posted:

I never felt Lynch's Atreides uniforms were that ostentatious myself. They looked like military dress uniforms, and they were in the correct colors.

But yeah, the Atreides in the book are relatively low key. I think the intention is a contrast between the Harkonnens who are all about empty symbols and the Atreides who are all about symbolic actions. Baron Harkonnen floats around his giant palace and schemes of ways to best use his pawns. Duke Leto hangs out with his troops and works to cultivate his "air of bravura."

The way Duke Leto is portrayed in this way is one of the really cool things in the book to me. You totally see the charisma he has and how on the surface he's this super popular leader to the point where even the Emperor is directly concerned. But at the same time you don't get to the point where an emperor is concerned about you taking over by not being a huge rear end in a top hat on some levels, and I liked the little bits that get dropped as the story goes on like how it was the Duke who declared the vendetta against the Harkonnens, and how he had a small group in his army that were as well trained as the Sardaukar which he could potentially have united the other houses under,, etc. And I like that the minute he sets foot on Arrakis he's already making moves to be a man of the people while backdoor working to get the Fremen in his pocket or otherwise allied with him any way he can.

And both the Duke and the Baron are equally effective in that way, I forget if it's in a flashback in a later book or the original but there's definitely a point where Leto points out (or "thinks aloud") that the Baron's a master schemer and the floating around loud fat man thing is an effective way to get people to underestimate him and dismiss him as a bloviating chump. And to an extent, the Baron IS an egomaniac, but it says a lot about Leto's man of the people facade that that's how he immediately sees the Baron, but also drinks his own Kool-Aid and fails to work out what's going on with Yueh.

Another small bit I love is when the Baron's mulling over anecdotes about Leto keeping the head of the bull that killed his ancestor and stuff and has an almost serial killer profiler light bulb flicks on kind of moment where he gets shaken about what kind of lunatics the Atreides are.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 17, 2020