Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BabyFur Denny posted:

Let me guess, quintana just attacked valverde?

Nah that's about Marc Soler. Neither of those guys are kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
been watching a few old races on the weekend they were supposed to run.

1985 Ronde
Lemond
Phil Anderson
Planckaert
Criquielion
Kelly

punches thrown on the koppenberg, super nasty weather, dudes falling over sideways on the muur, top tube shifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3wUu49n6U

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
What if this would've been a wet Roubaix year

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching a virtual Tour of Flanders on Belgian television and it's great.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

paddyboat posted:

been watching a few old races on the weekend they were supposed to run.

1985 Ronde
Lemond
Phil Anderson
Planckaert
Criquielion
Kelly

punches thrown on the koppenberg, super nasty weather, dudes falling over sideways on the muur, top tube shifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3wUu49n6U

it whips rear end that everyone was fine with 42/21 being the lowest gear on a bicycle for like decades

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

malder posted:

I'm watching a virtual Tour of Flanders on Belgian television and it's great.

Man we have different definitions of great.
I couldn't stand watching the bad bike fits of the creepy avatars.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it whips rear end that everyone was fine with 42/21 being the lowest gear on a bicycle for like decades

it’s weird, I won’t watch 80’s football because it’s so clunky but this felt as fast as any race nowdays

watching 2012 now (the new route)

tyler farrar in the break
cancellara died
hincapie
:pippo:
boonen getting pushed up the kreusberg
crazy astana guy attacking up the sidewalk with a gel hanging out of his mouth
ballan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAumDsniko

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think it's *that* much slower than nowadays, it's not like running 53/11 on a high end 80s steel/alloy/composite frame is going to be like a cargo bike, the bigger difference is the lack of modern lower-range gearing meaning you don't see the high cadence grinding up walls you see more of nowadays

things get significantly faster around the 1991 mark for Some Reason

I usually take the "everyone was on some poo poo" view and my hatred for Big Tex is more for him using political influence like a psycho, but the early EPO years where a few teams were ahead of the rest and suddenly Gewiss is the greatest team in the world and Berzin is the next Merckx are legitimately sketchy. I think by '96 or so things were kind of even, though.

E) obligatory video of the infamous 1994 La Fleche Wallonne where a rocket fueled Gewiss team rode away from everyone else, featuring a clueless Phil Ligget

https://youtu.be/vsgpMoo7fr0

Pitor Urgamov's hemocrit was recorded as jumping from 32 to 61 within a year. Lmao.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heh, I remember the jokes about Italian orange juice being the the best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
incidentally i love the late 90s (VDB-era) classics because it's where you get by far the coolest mix of tech in the peloton with some teams still running steel frames, some teams using carbon/carbon lugged stuff, Cannondale alloy frames with giant tubes, and titanium.

Also GT supplying a WT team. What a sad story GT was, they should have been as big as Specialized or Trek.

ONCE showing up with the original TCRs was wild (depending on who you ask, the first sloping-tube racing frame) too, it's like they're suddenly using bikes which look ten years more modern than anything around them. I think they even tried running these with 650s for a bit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I had an old GT Outpost in dark green. I loved that bike. If it ever pops on CL I am buying it in a heartbeat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Some of the latter day Schwinn mountain bikes from when GT briefly owned them, prior to them becoming a department store bike, were really cool too. The top-of-the-line Homegrown line was really well-regarded in particular.

Speaking of "before they became department store bikes", someone popped this Mongoose IBOC Team Issue on CL for like $250 and I was so wanting to get it if not for the whole "everyone is quarantined" thing

It's really sad to see these, so many iconic brands back then were swallowed up by the cheapo department store MTB boom, and giant companies buying the brands and sucking all the value out of them. Mongoose, Diamondback, Schwinn, Raleigh, GT. Cannondale just barely avoided the same fate.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 6, 2020

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Some of the latter day Schwinn mountain bikes from when GT briefly owned them, prior to them becoming a department store bike, were really cool too. The top-of-the-line Homegrown line was really well-regarded in particular.

Speaking of "before they became department store bikes", someone popped this Mongoose IBOC Team Issue on CL for like $250 and I was so wanting to get it if not for the whole "everyone is quarantined" thing

It's really sad to see these, so many iconic brands back then were swallowed up by the cheapo department store MTB boom, and giant companies buying the brands and sucking all the value out of them. Mongoose, Diamondback, Schwinn, Raleigh, GT. Cannondale just barely avoided the same fate.

Some are back though right? Like DB and Raleigh?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kinda, they don't really have any connection to the original brands and are in that kind of "budget premium" area, rather than being actual junk bikes. Same thing with Fuji and Masi. They're good, but kind of generic.

Speaking of old races, putting on LBL '99 because there's never enough VDB content on Youtube [img-crying-belgian-flag]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yZAJDeeMZA

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
laste Ronde post

This series is great, i’d forgotten how bonkers 2017 was already. Behind the scenes style but really following the race.

classic Quickstep clown car poo poo and they still won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpvsJ3_OJo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Who is gonna win Roubaix tomorrow?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a good weather year, I think a team would do it rather than an individual performance.

Had anyone actually confirmed their attendance?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just watched Ineos race up Alpe du Zwift. Gimmicky? Yes. Not as good as the real thing? Of course not. Somewhat entertaining? You bet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dangerllama posted:

Just watched Ineos race up Alpe du Zwift. Gimmicky? Yes. Not as good as the real thing? Of course not. Somewhat entertaining? You bet.

The production was pretty bad - putting the live stream of the rider the same size as the zwift screen, meaning that most of the screen has a static background? Not great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Big fan of Dennis just doing 6.5w/kg for 40 minutes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TdF at the end of August. gently caress your ordinary schedule.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nice and hot

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Giro in October. Vuelta November. Paris roubaix, Flanders and the world's in there too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Make road cycling a winter sport.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everything Is Cross Now

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The worlds start the same weekend as the final tour stages.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might as well stick in some absolute bastard mountain stages toward the end then.

e - Actually, I never read past the headline, are they keeping the exact same route and just telling everyone along the way to suck it up?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Might as well stick in some absolute bastard mountain stages toward the end then.

e - Actually, I never read past the headline, are they keeping the exact same route and just telling everyone along the way to suck it up?

I would expect so, unless some of the high mountains are impassable at that time of year. My expectation is they'll just be loving cold, not covered in snow though.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1250677968831201280?s=19

Chaos reigns

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Anyone watching the Least Expected Day on netflix?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

I watched it, it solidified that I don’t like Nairo

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah, we talked about it some on the last page I think.
It's good imo, loved getting to see more about the team directors.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm watching the Movistar netflix thing right now and just got to the part where Nairo commits suicide-by-non-communication on the Tourmalet, and I'm glad that it all was exactly as dumb as I thought at the time. Like, no extenuating circumstances whatsoever, just a team finding out that Nairo is complete garbage in real time, as a documentary team is filming them. I love it

e: I also enjoy how completely :emo: Landa is 100% of the time

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I watched a bunch of Amstel Gold editions and the highlight was seeing US Postal Star, Floyd Landis do a dumb attack in 2004.

Seriously though, watch 2010 again it’s awesome.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1252185381371592710?s=19

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1252192042098319362?s=19

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

paddyboat posted:

I watched a bunch of Amstel Gold editions and the highlight was seeing US Postal Star, Floyd Landis do a dumb attack in 2004.

Seriously though, watch 2010 again it’s awesome.

The old Amstel finish before the Cauberg one owned because Lance Armstrong lost like a million sprints in a row

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Only time Froome ever had to face Nairo was when he was riding back down after a mountain finish.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
*hugging Quintana cutout*
Well always have stage 10, 2016 Vuelta

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

y'all are mean. It's true, they were an astonishingly dysfunctional team for more than 2/3 of the season, but do those best team awards mean nothing to you monsters?

I can't bring myself to hate any of them as individuals but holy poo poo did whoever was in charge of team chemistry do a bad job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No sport in France until September at the earliest. That new uci calendar is in the bin