Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What game is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What game is that?

Elex, sorry! Thought I mentioned it in the post.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Elex, sorry! Thought I mentioned it in the post.

How is that? It looks like a new version of Gothic or Riven, which I always end up picking up and getting bored with after a while.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

That'd be the day when Atlus finally gets off its arse and ports something to the PC of its own volition.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Days Gone is dope

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is that? It looks like a new version of Gothic or Riven, which I always end up picking up and getting bored with after a while.

I only just started, I'm half an hour in.

It plays like Gothic with modern controls in an interesting post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, and I'm going to get to choose between learning magic or science. I think. Right now I just want to find the thief who took my gear and maybe level up some.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's basically exactly what it is, including the whole "not being as good as Gothic" part.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah I see, I'm not playing as some generic white guy. I'm playing as a hardcore rear end in a top hat. Just apologize, jerkface!

Still the biggest rear end in a top hat moment I ever did in a game.

I don't even remember specifics, but apparently I was a heartless wolf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYENd7pXHu0

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mierenneuker posted:

What will we do without a main character who is constantly talking to himself and sounds out of breath when doing so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-iG1CnDf8

Me after four weeks of social distancing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disposable Scud posted:

Days Gone is dope

I really enjoyed it once it clicked. It took like two hours before I was really into it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Somewhat of a stealth offer, Humble currently has a Work Remote Software bundle whose $1 tier includes King of the Dragon Pass, a very good lightweight managing game.

Fanatical Star Deal, also priced at $1, is the Atari Vault, with 100 Atari games and statistitcally at least 1 good one.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

It plays like Gothic with modern controls

I'm sorry, but by this point you've already exceeded my mind's capacity to envision a concept

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Samuringa posted:

Somewhat of a stealth offer, Humble currently has a Work Remote Software bundle whose $1 tier includes King of the Dragon Pass, a very good lightweight managing game.

Fanatical Star Deal, also priced at $1, is the Atari Vault, with 100 Atari games and statistitcally at least 1 good one.

King of Dragon Pass rules and is a really singular experience. Give it a go.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Is there a GTFO thread?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zeinin posted:

Is there a GTFO thread?

Yeah, it's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907344

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I only just started, I'm half an hour in.

It plays like Gothic with modern controls in an interesting post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, and I'm going to get to choose between learning magic or science. I think. Right now I just want to find the thief who took my gear and maybe level up some.

Go hang out with the druggies. They are the best and teach you how to use just plain old guns.

No joke, they are the best faction by virtue of you can kill their assholes and turn them into a pretty normal faction, while the other two have SERIOUS ISSUES.

In other news I'm playing through all the Doom games in order. Doing the 3 > 1 > 2 > 64 > 16 ( what the gently caress y'all is this scheme ) > Eternal.

And ironically one of my favorite parts is the almost Baldurs Gateish progression from normal dude to utter murderman. Doom 3 starts you as a normal CoD protagonist, but by the end of it you are starting to crack. By the end of 1 you are moving past the "horror" aspect into more enjoyment of the slaughter. By 2 you are rocket jumping around and utterly massacring everything. It just keeps ratcheting up.

Way too many sequels have you just be Ezio but this time you are an Egyptian Ezio. It's really weird seeing the Doom games actually stick the landing of ratcheting up your crazy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Resident Evil Remake is really annoying me with all these puzzle items I can't do anything with. Found the Moonlight Sonate paper and it is missing half the song, making it waste a spot in my inventory. I left several items alone in case I use one of them and find two more things to pick up in the next room.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Bought the solitaire game Ancient Enemy https://store.steampowered.com/app/993790/Ancient_Enemy/ and put a few hours in. It's fun, I enjoy the different modes and additional elements. But its not very open at all, not like a puzzle-quest with versatility/choice in character builds and not-completely-linear progression. Strangely enough I find I wish it had *less* rpg elements, because its a solid solitaire game but needing to swap out a card (monsters have immunity to damage types) or use a consumable seems really bland - less strategy and more busywork. I really like what they are trying to achieve, but I hope they either streamline or expand the concept because it sits in an awkward middle position for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Bought the solitaire game Ancient Enemy https://store.steampowered.com/app/993790/Ancient_Enemy/ and put a few hours in. It's fun, I enjoy the different modes and additional elements. But its not very open at all, not like a puzzle-quest with versatility/choice in character builds and not-completely-linear progression. Strangely enough I find I wish it had *less* rpg elements, because its a solid solitaire game but needing to swap out a card (monsters have immunity to damage types) or use a consumable seems really bland - less strategy and more busywork. I really like what they are trying to achieve, but I hope they either streamline or expand the concept because it sits in an awkward middle position for me.

Interesting, coming to Ancient Enemy as a fresh player. As someone who has played their games from Regency Solitaire (no rpg at all) to Shadowhand (more rpg, but the RNG hates you) to Ancient Enemy (RPG, lots of ways to deal with bad RNG) I have loved the progression and really like how it's casual but engaging. So to speak.

Either way I'm looking forward to their next game, and in the meantime original solitaire stuff like freecell and spider have won me over.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Go hang out with the druggies. They are the best and teach you how to use just plain old guns.

No joke, they are the best faction by virtue of you can kill their assholes and turn them into a pretty normal faction, while the other two have SERIOUS ISSUES.

How bad of an idea would it be to pal up with the cleric guys? The idea of flamethrowers and goofy future poo poo in Gothic is super-duper tempting.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Omi no Kami posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to pal up with the cleric guys? The idea of flamethrowers and goofy future poo poo in Gothic is super-duper tempting.
Their skill requirements pair up nicely with a lot of the general skills you'd want anyways (lockpicking, dialogue, etc...). They're who I went with and it was totally fine. I still ended up primarily using a sword though.

BTW find a ChainSword ASAP

EDIT: Also beeline for the chem skills that let you make Elex potions, it really opens up the rest of the game.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 16, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The psychic powers from the Cleric guys are very good, the guns are pretty good, their melee weapons are just okay though(they're pretty good early on because they generally have lower stat requirements). They're probably the most powerful faction but also turbo assholes.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 16, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Glare Seethe posted:

Played about an hour of Nuclear Throne. The sound effects are insanely loud and there's no separate volume slider for them, which is really annoying. And the second area is a dark sewer level, which sucks. Otherwise it seems pretty all right. I was under the impression that this was some kind of masterpiece, but maybe my expectations were too high or it's just been surpassed since its release. It's not immediately grabbing me but it's fun enough to keep at for now, I think.

Honestly, it probably just has been surpassed these days. It was really good for the time, controls were tight, lots of unlockables, different characters to play with. But now there's a bunch of games, even ones that are still in early access, that have some similar mechanics and probably more compelling than it: Hades, Undermine, and Curse of the Dead Gods just to name a few off the top of my head.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
drat, what's the new Bad Rats these days? i've gotta get a comedy gag game for someone

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
fallout76 baybee

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
fallout 76

edit: gently caress

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alternative: Anthem

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That wording is not a no. It's consistent with "there will be a listing, but it's not supposed to show up yet."

Atlus is weird and has basically made it clear that mainline Persona games will never not be PlayStation exclusive.

I would believe that Shin Megami Tensei V is coming to Steam before P5R, and Shin Megami Tensei V is never coming out.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

drat, what's the new Bad Rats these days? i've gotta get a comedy gag game for someone

The sequel?

E: Uriel's Chasm looks promisingly terrible, but $5 is too much for a gag gift.

EE: Or just get Gods of Havoc, a cool, weird as hell RPG Maker 4x God Sim that doesn't have any right to exist.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 16, 2020

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

Garfield Kart!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Way too many sequels have you just be Ezio but this time you are an Egyptian Ezio. It's really weird seeing the Doom games actually stick the landing of ratcheting up your crazy.

If you hang out with the tech priests long enough you can call their on their bullshit a bit - but doesn't change anything. :(

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My friend just told me about the EGS Spring Sale and that there's a $10 voucher to use (minimum $15 single item purchase) and...I don't know if I want to use it on anything? Is there something on there that I should consider? I own like nothing except for whatever free games they give out and base Division 2 when it was like 3 bucks.

Asking here because I peeked in the EGS thread and it hasn't had a post in a few weeks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are you interested in Red Dead Redemption 2? It's already 20% off right now. If you can apply that 10$ voucher to it, you're basically only paying half price anymore.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 16, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

What kind of games do you like? Satisfactory for $16.95 is a steal, Control is really good, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a good space game especially if you get it for $12.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I used mine to get Journey to the Savage Planet for $8, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

Control, Outer Wilds (NOT Worlds), Hades, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Tetris Effect, and Satisfactory are all solid choices too, though some are starting to show up on Steam.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That Persona 5 fake-out broke my fragile heart. :smith:
-
Resident Evil VII seems pretty neat. Gonna finish it up pretty soon. I saw enough of 3 to make me want to try to finish VII instead since I remembered it having a stronger horror element.

I'm finally nearing the end of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Made my way into Act 4 a little bit after 86 hours. Kinda want to do another playthrough using duo Lone Wolves.

drkeiscool posted:

I got you. Have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Gal*Gun?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/511740/GalGun_Double_Peace/

And its sequel, Gal*Gun 2:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/851890/GalGun_2/

Or maybe they prefer SHMUPs?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/872130/DEEP_SPACE_WAIFU_WORLD/

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you interested in Red Dead Redemption 2? It's already 20% off right now. If you can apply that 10$ voucher to it, you're basically only paying half price anymore.

Hub Cat posted:

What kind of games do you like? Satisfactory for $16.95 is a steal, Control is really good, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a good space game especially if you get it for $12.

Stickman posted:

I used mine to get Journey to the Savage Planet for $8, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

Control, Outer Wilds (NOT Worlds), Hades, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Tetris Effect, and Satisfactory are all solid choices too, though some are starting to show up on Steam.

Thanks for these suggestions everyone, I really appreciate them! I didn't want to specify what kind of games I liked/have on purpose just to keep options open. To quickly go through the options:

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Interested because of its jank, so the price is still too much for what I want to experience with it
Satisfactory - I have always bounced off these kind of build a thon games but this does look excellent
Control - The setting looks very interesting! The gunplay looks...soft...especially coming from Doom
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - The second thing I tried to get, too cheap to use the discount :(
Journey to the Savage Planet - Also interesting! Looks like a 1st person comedy platform game, need to research more
Tetris Effect - The first thing I tried to get :(
Outer Wilds - The third :(
Hades - I own this and love it

So...I might get Control or Journey to the Savage Planet, got a few hours left in the spring sale to decide. Might just pass on the sale and try the voucher in the coming weeks. Thanks again everyone!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Control - The setting looks very interesting! The gunplay looks...soft...especially coming from Doom
It's more of a 3D Metroidvania kind of game. Lots of special powers for you to use and move around the world with. Don't think of it as a Doom-like shooter, think of it as an action adventure with third person shooter mechanics, if that helps you any.

I didn't like it all that much, personally, but there is something very satisfying about telekinatically smashing a guy into paste with an office chair.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Control is more like Psi-Ops by way of X-Files and the SCP wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also apparently Receiver 2 has a menu option to turn off the bad tapes