Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i was actually pretty pleased with woodpecker's first ep, but i will scarf down basically anything that involves cute guys and crime.

side note: happy that this is the season of cute guys and crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/KodanshaUSA/status/1250121742531678209?s=20

if you wanna get in on manga for some of this season's adaptations (like being too impatient to see where gleipnir goes, god drat that series is good) kodansha is having a sale on volumes of current/recent anime

they've also had a 99c vol1 sale going on which i think overlaps with these titles and covers more, i only bought gleipnir recently while my in/spectre volumes are from a few months ago

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1250229384058777600

Covid delays starting to hit this season - wonder how many currently airing shows we'll see get pushed. Worst-case scenario I wouldn't be surprised if it hits everything but finished/nearly finished projects like Bakarina, Yesterday, maybe Brand New Animal

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder which studios are better prepared/protected than others.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

if you wanna get in on manga for some of this season's adaptations (like being too impatient to see where gleipnir goes, god drat that series is good) kodansha is having a sale on volumes of current/recent anime

they've also had a 99c vol1 sale going on which i think overlaps with these titles and covers more, i only bought gleipnir recently while my in/spectre volumes are from a few months ago

Wish Gleipnir was more caught up with scans. I'd kill for non awful translation quality for current stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1250229384058777600

Covid delays starting to hit this season - wonder how many currently airing shows we'll see get pushed. Worst-case scenario I wouldn't be surprised if it hits everything but finished/nearly finished projects like Bakarina, Yesterday, maybe Brand New Animal

I thought most new-release anime was an ongoing production while it was airing? Are their staff only just now getting hit with cases?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its true that production is ongoing during broadcast for most anime, but its not like they don't have some sort of backlog before they start airing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you don't have the first 3 episodes finished before broadcast something has gone seriously wrong with your production schedule.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Freakazoid_ posted:

My brother loved that show but I couldn't get into it. Does it have anything redeeming or is it as boring as I remember?

I dunno about the anime but the manga gets real rapey.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Freakazoid_ posted:

My brother loved that show but I couldn't get into it. Does it have anything redeeming or is it as boring as I remember?

Skip it and read Air Gear instead.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought most new-release anime was an ongoing production while it was airing? Are their staff only just now getting hit with cases?

this is not the staff getting sick, it's parts of the production pipeline being disrupted due to businesses, support studios, recording studios, etc shutting down.

they probably went to air with 3 episodes done ahead of time, and they weren't able to complete episode 4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

this is not the staff getting sick, it's parts of the production pipeline being disrupted due to businesses, support studios, recording studios, etc shutting down.

they probably went to air with 3 episodes done ahead of time, and they weren't able to complete episode 4.

I totally get that, I just wondered if it was at the made-it-to-air point they'd have those factors sorted rather than needing to delay partway in.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Japan's serious official response to COVID-19 probably came after the shows had gone into full production and incurred the associated costs, otherwise, the whole season would have been delayed. That's just my guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Tencent trying to take over Anime production? :stare:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
If you think the problem described in that article is Chinese money then you might want to reread it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its true that production is ongoing during broadcast for most anime, but its not like they don't have some sort of backlog before they start airing.

I would think Covid related delays are probably because of the respective ability of studios to do work from home stuff. Like yeah, there's some level of backlog, but I doubt it's enough to compensate for a whole season.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xelkelvos posted:

I would think Covid related delays are probably because of the respective ability of studios to do work from home stuff. Like yeah, there's some level of backlog, but I doubt it's enough to compensate for a whole season.

I was just saying that if there are production problems, it won't be obvious right away because of the backlog.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I'm a big fan of Princess Connect having a character played by Kazuma's voice actor doing the "hai Kazuma desu" bit and then another character tells him about a town he went to where a woman kept offering him detergent.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'm a big fan of Princess Connect having a character played by Kazuma's voice actor doing the "hai Kazuma desu" bit and then another character tells him about a town he went to where a woman kept offering him detergent.

Said other character did the mohawk guy in Konosuba.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Veteran voice actor Keiji Fujiwara passed away after his struggle with cancer. I had kinda thought he was doing better since he seemed to be working again after a hiatus in 2016, but you know illness can be. Probably best known outside of Japan for roles like Leorio in the Hunter X Hunter remake, Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist. Particularly famous otherwise for Shinnosuke's dad in Crayon Shinchan and the Japanese dub of MCU Tony Stark.

He was 55.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OnimaruXLR posted:

Veteran voice actor Keiji Fujiwara passed away after his struggle with cancer. I had kinda thought he was doing better since he seemed to be working again after a hiatus in 2016, but you know illness can be. Probably best known outside of Japan for roles like Leorio in the Hunter X Hunter remake, Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist. Particularly famous otherwise for Shinnosuke's dad in Crayon Shinchan and the Japanese dub of MCU Tony Stark.

He was 55.

Hughes always dies far too soon :ohdear:.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
He was also Holland in Eureka 7.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
And ACDC in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

That's really a shame. He was a great actor

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

That's such a shame. Rest in peace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also played Ali al-Saachez in Gundam 00. Dude did a good villain voice.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

millionaire detective is also postponed after 3 episodes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you've not seen Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl, Animelab's streaming it from now until Monday. If you've seen the series, it's really good too.

Tales of Woe posted:

millionaire detective is also postponed after 3 episodes

I guess money doesn't solve everything :sigh:.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

since In/Spectre is on sale here too, the anime covers up to the end of vol 6. Not that there's nothing different in those volumes, but if you're not interested in spending $26 on things you've already read, there you go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What will it take for the Japanese diet to declare anime an essential industryyyy :negative:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grouchio posted:

What will it take for the Japanese diet to declare anime an essential industryyyy :negative:

Grouchio, it is better for people to stay home and separated in pandemics, particularly if they would be working in crowded office settings.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 17, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chumbler posted:

Grouchio, it is better for people to stay home and separated in pandemics, particular if they would be working in crowded office settings.
Yes you are right. It is also better for at least some good shows to still air in the Summer. That is a hope I cling onto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio there are literally thousands of anime that exist and youd probably love. Youll live waiting three months for 17 frames an episode of I Woke Up In Another World With A Siamese Twin!?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watch barakamon

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I think it would be nice if industries adapted to let people work from home more easily.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Grouchio you are wishing for your favourite creators to die. Please stop doing that.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Think of this as an opportunity to catch up on the last 60 years of anime history.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

new key visual!

also a new delay!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/air_news01/status/1251134949156990979?s=21

Spring Season 2020: Stuck Inside? At Least There's Last Year's Anime

I obviously think it's a good thing that so many anime studios are putting their workers' safety first, but the thread title is becoming increasingly ironic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God dammit :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Anime has been defeated