Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

GORDON posted:

Are there seriously like 40 Costcos in the LA area?

I mean there are like 20M people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

GORDON posted:

The LA Metro is a huge area, bigger than several states.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

FogHelmut posted:

Is that the rack of pork? Those are fantastic. I cooked the whole rack last time, this time I broke up the ribs separate, then I cut the rest into 1-in chops.

Yeah, they only have it around holidays. I sous vide each 2-rib thick chop I cut and then sear the daylights out of them. So good.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 16, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GORDON posted:

I got 6 within a 15-20 minute drive from me in South OC.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah there's like 3 + 1 business Costco in the Valley and it's not much more than 10 minutes between them without significant traffic. 4 if you include the one in Woodland Hills that's farther away...

It's amazing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

The LA Metro is a huge area, bigger than several states.

It’s also the densest region of the country!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

They gotta basically double up in some places

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Yup

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

FCKGW posted:

I used to live 1 mile south of that giant Tustin Costco, which is just 2 miles north of the Irvine Costco. There was a 'co just a few minutes in every direction from my front door.

I was told that the old Tustin Costo was supposed to be replaced by the new one, but they still did enough business to keep them both open.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacebard posted:

I miss being 5 minutes from there and that Costco. The Easton Costco is awful, crowded, and I haven't seen panda-brand pot stickers in months. It wasn't that bad when I went for supplies and communion today around noon. Got more mango juice, booze, fruit, and snacks.

You could still make the drive. My parents and sister go to the Easton one because that's closer for them. The Polaris corner is my local. The gas is slightly easier at Easton though at least.
(Also after all This is over, meeting local folk could be neat, that applies to Lobsterboy too.)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

All these places are filled with corona. And silence. In the old days you saw a lot of parenting going on, especially on the weekends. Now its dead silent, the children are gone.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding Costco density in southern California: goddam. Had no idea.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GORDON posted:

Regarding Costco density in southern California: goddam. Had no idea.

No poo poo! I thought the fact that we had 5 in the greater Boston area was a lot, but I guess not!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Squashy Nipples posted:

No poo poo! I thought the fact that we had 5 in the greater Boston area was a lot, but I guess not!

Seriously, I would have bet 6, tops, in LA.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

BONGHITZ posted:

Now its dead silent, the children are gone.

PARADISE

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Even Phoenix has 13.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Milwaukee doesn't even have one. Although I'm 30 miles south and we have one but my Costco isn't on that map and we've had it for a few years now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ordering TP on Costco's website for on site pickup or something:

Should someone even fukken bother trying?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jeeves posted:

Ordering TP on Costco's website for on site pickup or something:

Should someone even fukken bother trying?

https://www.costco.com/brondell-swash-cs1000-bidet-toilet-seat.product.11619404.html

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Waltham, Dedham, Everett, Avon, Danvers plus one in Springfield, dang I never realized there were so many

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Waltham, Dedham, Everett, Avon, Danvers plus one in Springfield, dang I never realized there were so many

Having lived a few different places in Socal before returning to New England, you just can't compare the population density.

Like... As dense as Boston is in places, the neighborhoods and towns are broken up by natural geography, so there are lots of wooded areas, wetlands etc separating the population clusters. Out west, the mountains are steep, so in the flat spots they just pack everything in right next each other, neighborhood after neighborhood. It's a lot easier to build sprawl when there are no forests to cut down or wetlands to fill in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SirPablo posted:

Even Phoenix has 13.

The (oldest) one in Tucson used to be the highest grossing Costco in the region, due to a big local population and a LOT of international shoppers/businesses from Mexico

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well what you consider Boston? I have never been there and knew a guy from Fitchburg or some place and he would say Boston to save time

That LA map posted earlier shows riverside and that’s like calling the place the New York mob dumps its bodies New York City

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Costco had a 15 minute wait to get in today. Maybe people are spendin those trump bucks, though I also did hear people talk about how they wanted to get meat because of the plants shutting down

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Manuel Calavera posted:

You could still make the drive. My parents and sister go to the Easton one because that's closer for them. The Polaris corner is my local. The gas is slightly easier at Easton though at least.
(Also after all This is over, meeting local folk could be neat, that applies to Lobsterboy too.)

The drive between 71/70 isnt too bad on 270 even on bad days, definitely doable to hop between the two. I like the Polaris one a hell of a lot better just because Easton is crazy busy. Polaris is across the street from the mall and only has to deal with Cabelas.

And yeah, Ohio used to be a solid goonmeet spot. Assuming the plague goes away, I'm down for a Polaris hangout. I'm WFH for at least another month and maybe longer, my company is super relaxed about even bothering to try and force going back.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Yeah, it probably is a pretty negligible difference in distance. Plus everything's backwards at this one. The only comfort is hot chicken being nearby.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hate the bizarro costcos :colbert:

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 17, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

priznat posted:

I hate the bizarro costcos :colbert:

what does that entail

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alan Smithee posted:

what does that entail

The entrance aisle is on the right side so you go counterclockwise and not clockwise BURN THEM ALL

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

priznat posted:

The entrance aisle is on the right side so you go counterclockwise and not clockwise BURN THEM ALL

The one in Fort Collins is like that BUT Also outside of town so sales taxes are lower so it's tough to say.

I also saw stuff there on clearance that had been sold out in Denver months ago so its a low key strategic reserve if I miss out on something, and also I have to compulsively check to see if there's anything excitingly cheap.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's a lot of illness, if you aren't prepared

https://twitter.com/bri_sacks/status/1250882690875748352?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I also did hear people talk about how they wanted to get meat because of the plants shutting down

Oh boy another self fulfilling prophecy

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobsterboy posted:

The drive between 71/70 isnt too bad on 270 even on bad days, definitely doable to hop between the two. I like the Polaris one a hell of a lot better just because Easton is crazy busy. Polaris is across the street from the mall and only has to deal with Cabelas.

And yeah, Ohio used to be a solid goonmeet spot. Assuming the plague goes away, I'm down for a Polaris hangout. I'm WFH for at least another month and maybe longer, my company is super relaxed about even bothering to try and force going back.

I'm at a hospital so I'm essential, haha frick. Everybody is wearing masks.
But I'd be down for the idea of a goonmeet, idk about Polaris specifically because I don't know the food there so well. But there's a Hot Chicken at Easton, or the Melt. Funny how I like the food there better because I'm more familiar. :v:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The dark chocolate caramels were everything the thread promised them to be. I also noticed that we have the bitchin sauce now, but i am trying to limit calories so that's probably a bad idea.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I rarely get instant noodles type stuff but the Snapdragon Vietnamese Pho bowls are good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Good soup! posted:

I rarely get instant noodles type stuff but the Snapdragon Vietnamese Pho bowls are good

They are 100% a pro buy. I've been using them as lunch on the go for a while.

As a bonus they're surprisingly low cal. Your typical ramen has 400 calories, these have something like 220 iirc.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good soup! posted:

while i like them, and they could be a little bigger with the bowl/noodles (220 cal is nice but i wouldn't mind if it was like 300 for a still light-lunch, i imagine most of that is the oil). my biggest gripe is it's like 50000 packages to unwrap and it feels stupidly wasteful. like there's packaging for the bowl, packaging for the noodles, packaging for the packaging of seasonings inside of it. it's kind of comical.

my insta-noodle stuff is mostly the Ning Shim Black ramen cups, they're really good.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just got a frozen whole chicken. I normally buy them thawed and cut it up into pieces to store in the freezer.

What's the best way to handle this frozen chunk of chicken? I suppose you can't thaw it out, cut it up and refreeze it?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah having like four different bags is weird, but I was genuinely surprised at how tasty these things are, if they sold a special double size one is instantly get them but I'm also thinking about how bad the sodium would be

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I just got a frozen whole chicken. I normally buy them thawed and cut it up into pieces to store in the freezer.

What's the best way to handle this frozen chunk of chicken? I suppose you can't thaw it out, cut it up and refreeze it?

I'd thaw it out for a couple days in the fridge then roast it. Pick it clean, chunk it up, and freeze the leftovers for quick tacos or enchiladas. Boil them bones and make some stock; we've been burning through our frozen chicken stock like gangbusters in this trying time.