Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Clowner posted:

Top 5 sci-fi movies, go.

Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
The Matrix
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn
Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

beauty fish

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I Am Mother is a cool new-ish sci-fi film that's on Netflix. It seems to have passed most people unseen though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it seemed intriguing, no marketing or buzz whatsoever

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A AI trying to murder humans seems quaint right about now.
Is it trying to murder humans? Seems so from the trailer.bet there's some twist in there like the humans are the real monsters, which, buddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
1. Tammy and the T-Rex

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Clowner posted:

Top 5 sci-fi movies, go.

Top 5 sci-fi movies that are specifically better than Blade Runner 2:

Code 46
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay
Marjorie Prime
THX 1138
The Man Who Fell To Earth

Bonus:

Soderbergh’s 2001: A Space Odyssey recut

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Byzantine posted:

2010: The Year We Make Contact

For some sick deragened reason I like this film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you a fellow Bob Balaban head?? Us Balabaniacs gotta stick together.

Also I love the ending.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Top 5 sci-fi movies that are specifically better than Blade Runner 2:

Code 46
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay
Marjorie Prime
THX 1138
The Man Who Fell To Earth

Bonus:

Soderbergh’s 2001: A Space Odyssey recut

I'll be back when I've watched all of those. I'm really interested in the Soderbergh recut of 2001 though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I had never heard of the Soderbergh cut of 2001. I need to watch this.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"What the gently caress is a Zendaya?" was also a perfectly valid question until like a year ago, because she's yet another Disney star who nobody knew until studio execs started loudly insisting that we all know and love her.

(Unlike the usual for that, though, she's actually a perfectly decent actress and I'm alright with her.)

e: holy poo poo, other than Greatest Showman (now owned by Disney anyways), Smallfoot, her very brief role on The OA and Euphoria, her entire loving career so far has been directly tied to Disney. :stare:

The woman has 70,000,000 followers on Instagram. I assume she has something going on beyond the Disney acting. Either that or she's the only kid out of that factory to have actually turned the machine to her genuine benefit.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 16, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also I love the ending.

Heh. Love the guy.

Probably was a combination of growing up during the cold war and Roy Scheider (of course bigger boat) but then Blue Thunder, etc. cemented it.

Actually saw 2010 in the theater. When Lithgow made his space walk it actually sparked a holy crap moment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The woman has 70,000,000 followers on Instagram. I assume she has something going on beyond the Disney acting. Either that or she's the only kid out of that factory to have actually turned the machine to her genuine benefit.

i mean, if we're taking that as the metric, most of the kids have turned it to their genuine benefit, for a short time. It's just they usually get thrown out unceremoniously when they get ideas about smoking weed or drinking or having sex with people, and then have to try and leverage it into being a "regular" celeb.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Also I love the ending.

It's a horrible tragedy that in this day and age no one knows what to do whan Balabania runs wild on you

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dang it, hate when I agree with SMG but yeah THX is probably in my top 5, too. But do yourself a favor and track down a fan-restored cut of the theatrical version, the only commercial releases have a bunch of CGI nonsense in them. It doesn't affect the story much but it does pull you out of it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 16, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Does Kurt Russell count as a Disney kid?he did pretty alright.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

God dammit, hate when I agree with SMG but yeah THX is probably in my top 5, too. But do yourself a favor and track down a fan-restored cut of the theatrical version, the only commercial releases have a bunch of CGI nonsense in them. It doesn't affect the story much but it does pull you out of it.

That's true; I should specify that the best version is THX 1138: The Hybrid Cut, which is the equivalent of Blade Runner's Final Cut.

Not to be confused with the Director's Cut.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No mention of Gattaca so I'm going to mention: Gattaca.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hakkesshu posted:

No mention of Gattaca so I'm going to mention: Gattaca.

In Time by the same director was so self-satisfied with it's "time literally is money" gimmick that it made me think less of Gattaca.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Grendels Dad posted:

In Time by the same director was so self-satisfied with it's "time literally is money" gimmick that it made me think less of Gattaca.

I love that movie's stupid premise, it's great.

Here's three sci-fi movies specifically better than BR2049 in most of its aspects:

Her
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Minority Report

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah the premise of In Time is kind of tacky and inartful. Ultimately, it's probably also too subtle. I think Elysium is pretty much the same.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Denis Villeneuve is 2/2 for sci-fi as far as I'm concerned, so I'm looking forward to Dune.

Also if we're just naming great sci-fi movies, I'll throw out Dark City for consideration.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's not a bad movie at all. It just has the unfortunate problem of being the sequel to a far far better movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Eh, gently caress it. I've been thinking about it since yesterday, so why not:

Blade Runner 2049
THX-1138
Stalker
Mad Max: Fury Road
Alphaville

Specifically didn't count sci-fi/horror movies to make it easier. If post-apocalypse doesn't count without high-technology, then swap out Mad Max and Stalker for Eternal Sunshine and Day the Earth Stood Still.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Simplex posted:

Yeah the premise of In Time is kind of tacky and inartful. Ultimately, it's probably also too subtle. I think Elysium is pretty much the same.

The whole "time is money" economy was so obviously bullshit that I spent the first three-quarters of the movie being sure the reveal was going to be that the rich folks could just make more time whenever they wanted, and were using artificial scarcity as a means of social control. But nope, the rich guy just had a whole bunch of years saved up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

It's a horrible tragedy that in this day and age no one knows what to do whan Balabania runs wild on you

When my Balabania is really acting up I just reach for a Christopher Guest movie.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Simplex posted:

Elysium had one actually good scene (the bit with the robot parole officer). But the rest of the movie, in addition to being a little too on the nose, suffered from trite characterization, surprisingly bad acting by Jody Foster, and shaky-cam action scenes five years after Quantum of Solace was criticized for them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and apparently a speculative alternate universe where AK-47's jam

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

No mention of predestination, arrival, sunshine, smdh

Sunshine might be the only movie that would be better with less mark strong.

No, wait! I forgot the greatesterest scifi movie ever:
S1mone.

Just kidding.its bill and Ted.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I wouldn't even put BR 2049 in the top 5 sci fi of the decade. Off the top of my head you've got Mad Max Fury Road, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, Ex Machina, Annihilation, Melancholia, and Prometheus. I haven't even seen Her or Marjorie Prime yet, and it's a toss-up whether I prefer Interstellar over it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

No mention of predestination, arrival, sunshine, smdh

Sunshine might be the only movie that would be better with less mark strong.

No, wait! I forgot the greatesterest scifi movie ever:
S1mone.

Just kidding.its bill and Ted.

Sunshine would be better

with less Sunshine

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Absolutely nobody mentioned 2012's Robot & Frank, one of the best of this century and possibly the most calm science fiction movie. The opposite of pew pew lens flare splosions everybody yells at each other constantly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Absolutely nobody mentioned 2012's Robot & Frank, one of the best of this century and possibly the most calm science fiction movie. The opposite of pew pew lens flare splosions everybody yells at each other constantly.

Absolutely! I adore this movie. It's so good, and so underrated. The ending gets me every time, too. I think it's one of the most realistic takes on what "near-future" AI/robots might actually be like, too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Replicas was fun for a B-movie

Chappie is one of my faves of the 2010's of all genres

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The "self-destruct" scene is still hilarious to me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

1. Star Wars the Phantom Menace

2. Star Wars Attack of the Clones

3. Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

4. Dragonball Evolution

5. Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War

I laughed way too hard at this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
1. Gojira (original Japanese version)
2. Alien
3. THEM
4. Man Who Fell to Earth
5. District 9

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair to Jodie Foster in Elysium, wasn't it the case that she had to redub all of her lines so they could be ADR'd in over the originals? Anyone would suck under those conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

she's honestly not the worst thing about it

there's the weird hammy Spider guy

Sharlto playing against type as a mustache twirling villain is like Adrian Brody trying to play a tough guy

weird loving lines from the daughter (though you can't fault her with that)