Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Adding to the Forgotten Weapons endorsement train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

epoch times is the falun gong paper, right?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, which explains some of their youtube ads (i get them too, even though i try to be very careful with the videos i watch). one of them was just the nerd with his dumb vest yelling "we've just been attacked" by communists in Hong Kong or something like that.

i somehow avoided hearing anything about falun gong until earlier this year. we got pushed on their dance troupe really hard, tons of youtube ads, a slick promotional magazine, fliers. it was a pretty extensive advertising campaign, it must have cost them a fortune.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah those shen yun billboards are everywhere out here too. idk where they get the money but they don't seem to run out

e: well i guess they are a cult, of sorts, so probably from their members

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

i don’t doubt that hp is correct, but when some smuggo white young conservative pops up on my ipad screen talking about “the epic times” and how the chinese COMMUNISTS are after him i get a bit annoyed

welcome to epoch meal time we're eating 100 landlords tonight rolled in crushed jalapeño chips and deep fried wrapped in bacon and more bacon *montage of the cast pounding shots of baijiu*

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hey beep, Michigan made the national news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/15/an-caravan-angry-michiganders-exposes-complicated-politics-coronavirus-shutdown/

it'll sure be great when these fuckers are clogging up the hospitals in two weeks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
an caravan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the michigan governor is a milf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Penguissimo posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/15/an-caravan-angry-michiganders-exposes-complicated-politics-coronavirus-shutdown/

it'll sure be great when these fuckers are clogging up the hospitals in two weeks

ugh. i saw a news story about that and some chud woman was quoted saying something how she didn’t trust the scientists and that she was a big believer in herd immunity. had to stop reading after that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

holy cow. the plot thickens.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
milfs are the best kind of women I’d like to meet and get to know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is me, losing my mind at home in the quarantine and then getting in the shower for an hour to zone out

(sound)
https://i.imgur.com/Ob5zZ6O.mp4

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
funny how the signifier “herd immunity” has shifted to “I’m cool with killing others for likely pure selfishness” from a scientific term

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the weird Falun Gong support that’s snuck into pop media and us politics has to be the strangest experience of Cold War “enemy of my enemy” poo poo carried into the contemporary

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

funny how the signifier “herd immunity” has shifted to “I’m cool with killing others for likely pure selfishness” from a scientific term

it was also clear that she had zero idea what herd immunity actually is.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

Well that’s because you’re still using it in the scientific sense; she’s perfectly correct in the rear end in a top hat sense

Fake News for the current crisis

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Imagine if someone in idk France made a police procedural episode about like an American refugee being persecuted in the US and by “loyal” Americans abroad for being in the KKK

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

its a magic phrase that shes hoping will mean her dumb comfortable suburban life will return to normal and she can go back to her lovely megachurch and get her kids out of the house and resume yelling at the woman behind the counter at panera

this whole "coronavirus" thing is forcing her to look slightly past the tip of her nose to the greater world around her and she doesnt like that one bit

that march was basically one long shriek of "i demand to speak to your manager" (where manager = governor whitmer)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the michigan governor is a milf
also currently a lead candidate for bidens vp choice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
biden as president : “duh i can’t know remember anythang”

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

youtube just decided to suggest a fox news clip, 'coronavirus may have started in chinese lab according to sources' to me

like as in "some dumbass in a wuhan lab had an oops while studying a cool new virus in pangolins" or as in "BIOLOGICAL ATTACK ON THE AMERICA" because the first one doesn't seem crazy when poo poo like this happens: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ebola-henipah-china-1.5232674

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
we don't know what happened but here are some Chinese people who got fired for some reason. there's no evidence to suggest it's true but we're going to speculate that someone might have infringed on Canada's :qq: intellectual property :qq:

terrifying stuff

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
had my telehealth with a GP about something and she mentioned that they have had several people come in and ask for coronavirus testing after eating a chili that was too hot

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DuckConference posted:

like as in "some dumbass in a wuhan lab had an oops while studying a cool new virus in pangolins" or as in "BIOLOGICAL ATTACK ON THE AMERICA" because the first one doesn't seem crazy when poo poo like this happens: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ebola-henipah-china-1.5232674

i didn’t click and instead muted the channel but stating the former while ;) ;) ;) the latter in order to scapegoat china and distract idiots from their own country’s incompetent management has been a theme from the beginning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

had my telehealth with a GP about something and she mentioned that they have had several people come in and ask for coronavirus testing after eating a chili that was too hot

what does that mean. how can chili be too hot

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

DuckConference posted:

theres so many restrictions and red tape about importing viruses (like there should be) every researcher in smaller labs has smuggled samples and many in larger labs too.

plus we dont need Chinese help doing biological attacks against our own citizens. we used our anthrax very effectively.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Penguissimo posted:

i watched the stream yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSAe_08h_Wo

quite possibly the best video setup i've ever seen

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fart simpson posted:

what does that mean. how can chili be too hot
if its too hot you cant taste the beans

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

power botton posted:

theres so many restrictions and red tape about importing viruses (like there should be) every researcher in smaller labs has smuggled samples and many in larger labs too.

plus we dont need Chinese help doing biological attacks against our own citizens. we used our anthrax very effectively.

that doesn’t make me feel better about anything

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DuckConference posted:

that doesn’t make me feel better about anything

I think that chuds having a conspiracy about something shouldn't cause us to reflexively reject the possibility that a milder version of it happened. I think accidental escape lines up pretty well the initial cover-up. I'd say... 12% chance it was escaped from a lab. About the same chance that the 2020 election gets cancelled or delayed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FMguru posted:

if its too hot you cant taste the beans

BEANS?!?!

jk im a pro-beans in chili guy

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
guy on my pool league had a couple of us over and made chili.

he cut up a top round roast and simmered it in the sauce. it was really loving good.

usually i'm a ground meat in chili guy when i cook it, but i'm gonna have to give it a spin of my own.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

he cut up a top round roast and simmered it in the sauce. it was really loving good.

usually i'm a ground meat in chili guy when i cook it, but i'm gonna have to give it a spin of my own.
do both, in chili and in curry too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

desktop tower wont power on, tempted to buy the best micro center/powerspec offering instead of fixing this 9 year old 2500k beast of a box or building one from parts mid-pandemic and shipping 1070ti to my brother since the rest of the tower is old af

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

best chili i've ever had used smoked chuck roast chopped up into chunks and pulled pork

obviously with beans

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Agile Vector posted:

desktop tower wont power on, tempted to buy the best micro center/powerspec offering instead of fixing this 9 year old 2500k beast of a box or building one from parts mid-pandemic and shipping 1070ti to my brother since the rest of the tower is old af

I've got a 2600k i was looking to upgrade when all this went down. There seems to be part shortages everywhere as most of the components I was looking at are out of stock. I was waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards before I pulled the trigger, but it looks like those are moved out to the fall at the earliest.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
to improve focus and efficiency we're now not allowed to work on anything that hasn't been lovingly crafted into a ticket and prioritized by the blessed hand of the pm
but also they don't really know who we are or what we do and haven't been able to answer what ticket i should work on next when explicitly asked

this is a tiny team that was mostly self-driven until a few weeks ago and could probably have gone wfh as is without much impact. we sure dodged that bullet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

chili is a stew, and stews should not have quick-cooking meat in them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my chili always has two meats, and one is not ground

usually i'll use diced stew beef and then a tube of chorizo or something

also a fan of diced pork and ground elk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

I've got a 2600k i was looking to upgrade when all this went down. There seems to be part shortages everywhere as most of the components I was looking at are out of stock. I was waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards before I pulled the trigger, but it looks like those are moved out to the fall at the earliest.

same here, i was going to hold out until fall since the cpu was holding and I'd just bought 16gb of ram and a new gpu almost two years back which gave it an extended lifeline

looks like the mobo fried sometime last night, since the psu tested fine. id been seeing some occasional video corruption when running intensive games at settings that had long been stable, so its not totally unexpected :(

the only stuff I'm seeing that isn't picked over is prebuilt, and honestly that doesn't look too bad considering the only thing worth keeping is the case and the gpu. super bummed about the timing

probably helped I did some folding on it recently, even if i underclocked the gpu that was added work hours, same for more games because im not hanging out with friends anymore and we do stuff online now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
consensus from coworkers is that most people are doing MORE work at home than they did in the office, longer hours, etc. maybe if the ceo realizes this we'll get some flexibility when the crisis is over

meanwhile i'm sitting here posting, doing jack poo poo