Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I mostly just want to have fun with RE4's arsenal. The REmake combat feel but with the Red 9, the Springfield, and any of the shotguns sounds so dope.

The biggest problem for the team that I see is that RE4 is long, man. RE 1-3 were ambitious in their own ways, but there is a lot of ground covered over the course of RE4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why Capcom shouldn't be capable of making a long game when everyone else seems to be able to. Only in an RE thread could there be a discussion about the hurdles of a 5 hour AAA game series broadening it's horizons to 20 hours in tyool 2020 lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a 20+ hour RE game would just be exhausting tbqh
I like the games because they're well-paced and replayable

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 16, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

What's going to be a little disappointing is if they opt to make RE4 into a speedrunner-friendly four-hour experience, rather than a 20-hour ride.

think thats already happened

Bonaventure posted:

Christ I wish Nintendo would remake Super Mario Bros and get rid of Mario’s momentum and inertia-based movement. Megaman gives the player much finer control over their avatar’s midair trajectory and it’s frankly painful to go back and play games that came out before it

this is just flat out baffling to me given that re has only ever been defined by how you control a character in og 1-3 and since then has either changed or iterated on its control schemes in every game from 4 on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's an absolutely terrible analogy on pretty much every level.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This'll probably be an unpopular opinion but I'd be fine with re4 being shorter. I've played through it a bunch of times and by that Krauser fight in the ruins I'm always ready to wrap it up.

I forget about the creature in the container battle every time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get why Capcom shouldn't be capable of making a long game when everyone else seems to be able to. Only in an RE thread could there be a discussion about the hurdles of a 5 hour AAA game series broadening it's horizons to 20 hours in tyool 2020 lol.

Because it takes a lot of resources to make a long action game in the HD era and is still a difficult hurdle for a lot of developers to jump? I think this current-era Capcom that's making REmakes is capable of pulling it off (partly because they're allowed to not have to put multiplayer in, which was a root problem for creating substantial action SP campaigns in the modern era), I'm just saying I don't envy the workload ahead of them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

think thats already happened

Oh, you can certainly do it, but you aren't particularly rewarded for it. It's not like the games before it where your ranking at the end of the game was partially determined by your clear time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

veni veni veni posted:

I got tired of seeing your avatar, so I changed it to a photo of a bisexual goose.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Alright I figured it out.

REm4ke, play it straight until you get to the castle. Then, you find the castle is a front Umbrella used to research Las Plagas, but is now run by the cult. Then you get to the island and bam the island segment is the remake of Code Veronica. Cut out Antartica entirely. RE2make Claire and Leon reunite. Alexia awakens and takes control of the Plagas. She kills off Saddler because he's small time. Wesker and RE7 Chris show up and Chris gets his rear end kicked. There's a self-destruct sequence and jet skis. The remnants of Umbrella are destroyed and we are left wondering if Jill will ever get another main game again.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Jolo posted:

This'll probably be an unpopular opinion but I'd be fine with re4 being shorter. I've played through it a bunch of times and by that Krauser fight in the ruins I'm always ready to wrap it up.

I forget about the creature in the container battle every time.

I go back and replay it about once a year, and every time, when I get to the underground section of the island and start looking for Ashley's cell, I'm like "oh god I forgot about this poo poo". And then the next time I play it, I've already forgotten about it.

Remaking one of the best games ever seems risky, but if they do it I will definitely get a copy on day one, cause RE4's one of my all-time favorites. Worst case scenario, if it sucks I can just go back to the original.

I just hope they keep some of the classic ganado lines.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

Oh, you can certainly do it, but you aren't particularly rewarded for it. It's not like the games before it where your ranking at the end of the game was partially determined by your clear time.

yeah instead you have to five star every character in mercenaries to get the magnum

at least you get the chicago typewriter fairly easily tho

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only problem with a potential RE4 remake is that I am not sure I'd be ready for a new wave of "which gun is better?" arguments, as those would be not only limited to within the remake, but now would summon the "original vs. remake" crowd at the speed of plaid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhh broken butterfly???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got tired of seeing your avatar, so I changed it to a photo of a bisexual goose.

What was wrong with my Avatar? It kicked rear end.

Goddamnit I'm unemployed and now I gotta give lowtax 5 bux

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

site posted:

this is just flat out baffling to me given that re has only ever been defined by how you control a character in og 1-3 and since then has either changed or iterated on its control schemes in every game from 4 on

veni veni veni posted:

the game is designed around Leon’s movement restrictions you drooling idiots

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry you desperately cling to a dated mechanic that makes the game feel way shittier than it needs to.

Later RE games allow slow movement while aiming and it compromised literally nothing and made the series more approachable for just about everyone.

I can’t even imagine being so narrow minded that you can’t wrap your head around how slightly modernizing a game wouldn’t completely ruin it. Your Mario comparison is stupid as poo poo because Mario’s controls still hold up perfectly fine for literally everyone.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

Im at the point where I highly enjoy shorter narrative based games or enjoy playing games where you can play in bite sized chunks. I am actually thankful that most RE games aren't 20 hour affairs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
RE4 can be played in bite-sized chunks perfectly well, though. I mean, I can't say I had any issues putting it down and picking it back up at pretty much any point in the game, it's built for that very well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not a big fan of bloat in games either but I feel like 20 hours is pretty normal for non open world games these days. To me 15-20 hours is the perfect length for a AAA game.

I like a lot of shorter stuff but most of it is priced accordingly. I think most people would agree that buying a 5 hour game for 60 dollars is pretty underwhelming.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry you desperately cling to a dated mechanic that makes the game feel way shittier than it needs to.

Later RE games allow slow movement while aiming and it compromised literally nothing and made the series more approachable for just about everyone.

I can’t even imagine being so narrow minded that you can’t wrap your head around how slightly modernizing a game wouldn’t completely ruin it. Your Mario comparison is stupid as poo poo because Mario’s controls still hold up perfectly fine for literally everyone.

you seem miserable

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bonaventure posted:

the game is designed around Leon’s movement restrictions you drooling idiots

i mean if its a remake and not a remaster doesn't that means they're redesigning the game anyway
there are ways they can simulate the limitations of Leon's movement without making it actually feel as limited as it is.
The new RE games do this quite well. You CAN move while aiming. It's very slow and ruins your aim and isn't actually very effective at all, but you technically can do it which makes the game feel more natural to play without sacrificing the deliberate movement by just turning you into nathan drake or something

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 16, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bonaventure posted:

the game is designed around terrible controls you drooling idiots

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you change enemy attack patterns so they dont run up to 4 feet in front of your face and then stop and do nothing for 10 seconds so you can aim then the game is completely ruined

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

you seem miserable

I like how you just immediately went for personal attacks on everyone, because your original point sucked so much that you can’t defend it at all lol.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
only in the resident evil thread is “resident evil 4 is a carefully and intentionally designed game” a controversial statement lmao

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

I like how you just immediately went for personal attacks on everyone, because your original point sucked so much that you can’t defend it at all lol.

it’s because you suck OP

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
it was carefully designed for the gamecubes lovely dumb controller.

BRING ON THE REMAKE !

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Put Wii-style aiming in the Switch version gdi

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil32020/mods/134

Another Julia Voth classic Jill mod (there are several)

Ok lets see how this loo-

Meth. Not even once.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

only in the resident evil thread is “resident evil 4 is a carefully and intentionally designed game” a controversial statement lmao

You are a gigantic baby hth.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I wonder if the RE4 remake will get as many rereleases as the original did?

Looking forward to picking the XXHD edition up in a PSN store sale for my Playstation 7 in the year 2034.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

People have already explained how the new games have been changed to make up for the updates to the controls.

If you want an example of how modernizing a game without changing things can mess with the difficulty, look at Twin Snakes. Also, Mario was remade and some of the physics were changed.

Cardiovorax posted:

RE4 can be played in bite-sized chunks perfectly well, though. I mean, I can't say I had any issues putting it down and picking it back up at pretty much any point in the game, it's built for that very well.

Yes, I know. I probably wouldn't get a RE4 remake though, since I played that game quite a bit, and unless they add something to really change up the gameplay, I don't think it has value for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Super Castlevania IV is a similar case, where the game clearly isn't designed around Simon having 8-way directional whipping at all but Simon having that just destroys any sense of difficulty that game might have had.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

People have already explained how the new games have been changed to make up for the updates to the controls.

If you want an example of how modernizing a game without changing things can mess with the difficulty, look at Twin Snakes. Also, Mario was remade and some of the physics were changed.

Yes. But much like in the current remakes I’m sure the enemies would be tweaked accordingly.

Fighting a group of zombies in RE2 is no less menacing than Ganados in RE4 and it’s not because it designed around the gamecubes weird controller 15 years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

blackguy32 posted:

i know im not disputing that mechanics would have to be tweaked, i just find the notion that it would somehow ruin the game hilarious considering how remake 2 and 3 are received and pretty much all 3rd person shooters somehow have managed to move on from how re4 did it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And there's not really a lot to disagree with about that, because yeah, obviously they wouldn't just copy the animation patterns of a fifteen year old game 1:1 if they were to already completely remake it. They learned from how much the movement change of RE1make messed with the difficulty and already didn't make the same mistake for RE2make.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bonaventure posted:

It's almost like those design decisions have aged poorly and suck in TYOOL 2020.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

sigher posted:

It's almost like those design decisions have aged poorly and suck in TYOOL 2020.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope the RE4 remake uses the battle system from Gaiden