Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The Know It Alls talked through an interesting theory that the vote WAS 3-3-3 and they just edited the revote together with the first vote to save time. Given how rushed the rest of the episode was and how they did this once before (in some Micronesia pre-merge episode), it would make a lot of sense.

Also I agree that if it was 5-2-2, Michele was probably the other majority vote. Perhaps it was an unintentional vote split though: maybe her and Nick were fed a fake Denise plan?

Another possibility is Tyson feared a double idol play and threw a vote on Denise just in case there was a 0-vote revote that would land on him, although I don’t know why he’d pick Denise and not, say, Sarah in that scenario.

And while we’re speculating, here’s another scenario: Tyson predicts 3-3-3 where he is one of the 3s. He knows he won’t survive the revote, so he knows his only hope is to vote for the other 3 to make it 4-3-2, so makes the guess between a Denise and Kim. But then what was the other Denise vote??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ueHJQ4wr4

Unless they also faked the "here are the votes" youtube video, it was 5-2-2, and Michelle and Nick were both on Tyson. Denise votes were Sophie and one of Sarah's.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Unless they also faked the "here are the votes" youtube video, it was 5-2-2, and Michelle and Nick were both on Tyson. Denise votes were Sophie and one of Sarah's.

That’s wild! Not only was Michele in on the vote, they trusted her enough to build the split vote around her. (If Michele voted Sophie and Kim played the idol on Tyson then Sophie would have been our 0-3-2).

I half-suspect the video was cobbled together as a mix between an original vote and a revote to preserve the canon of one 5-2-2 vote but that’s probably needlessly conspiratorial.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not surprised Michele was in on it TBH. She still had connections with the five and I can't imagine she wouldn't have played her 50/50 idol if she wasn't very confident that she'd be safe from a split vote.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinterest Mom posted:

I dunno, Michelle's vote in that video is weird as gently caress. Kind of a shrug vote for Tyson.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Michele and Nick have been working together for a while now, it'd be weird for them to suddenly split off like that.

Honestly I'm more baffled by the idea that Kim/Denise/Tyson thought Michele was tighter with them than Nick. Well, maybe Jeremy thought his working relationship with Michele on Sele 1.0 was enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah it's a real shame we didn't have enough TV time to find out why Michele and Nick ended up where they were

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it's a real shame we didn't have enough TV time to find out why Michele and Nick ended up where they were

we absolutely needed 30 minutes to see which parents are weird pervs and kiss their children on the mouth

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Michelle's "IDK" posture just makes it seem like she was doing a chaos move for no reason.

When at tribal they split into two groups to officially draw lines, I wonder why nobody tried to spy in on it anyway. In that situation I'd 100% be like, draw your lines but also I'm going to weasel into your huddle.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Man is everyone here a joyless, family-less robot or something? It's clear nobody here has kids because after not seeing your kids for a few days, much less a month, all you want in the world is to see them. I don't see my kid for a day and I'm looking at pictures of her constantly because I miss her. Just enjoy the good moment of people experiencing a unique human moment.

I'm sorry you were all robbed of your 20 minutes of time that could have been spent otherwise nitpicking the minutiae of how a 5 vs 5 alliance decides to vote Jeremy, no Tyson, no Kim, no Tyson, no Denise or whatever. It's pretty clear that the majority of the decision making was done at tribal, considering the 2 advantages that were played and how immensely the impacted the numbers of a 5v5 vote so what was lost by showing that these people have multiple dimensions to their personality?

Yeah, I'll say it, I like the loved ones visits. Are they good TV? Usually not, but of the 40 we've gotten this was by far the best one (second place goes to Colby with DAMNIT REED).

Re: Michele and Nick - it's pretty obvious they're flailing. They're not doing some galaxy brain strategy of splitting up to different alliances despite being allied together and then getting intel from both sides. They both have nobody, and don't trust each other. They're just going with whatever will get them 1 vote further each time, guaranteed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

we absolutely needed 30 minutes to see which parents are weird pervs and kiss their children on the mouth

That's not normal for my family either but this is some horseshit and you should honestly be ashamed of yourself

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Showing Nick and Michelle working together in classic "welp, I guess we're the swing votes" fashion probably would've killed the suspense once Jeremy left, cuz at that point there's 0 reason to vote with the minority. Not trying to defend the editing of the episode as a whole, but might help explain why they didn't get more screen time.

Pinterest Mom posted:

What I'm still wondering about is whether Tyson was always the main target despite all the heat Jeremy was catching. They made that big fuss over having to gameplan in private when Jeremy left, but Michelle was not involved. Either they had made it very clear that Tyson would be target #2 if Jeremy were to no longer be an option, or Jeremy was actually the 2nd part of the split, with the huddle being called to plan for Denise to replace Jeremy.

edit: or yeah I guess a 4(Jeremy)-3(Tyson) split could have been the original plan, with Michelle's vote remaining for Tyson even after Jeremy played his advantage.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 16, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

Man is everyone here a joyless, family-less robot or something? It's clear nobody here has kids because after not seeing your kids for a few days, much less a month, all you want in the world is to see them. I don't see my kid for a day and I'm looking at pictures of her constantly because I miss her. Just enjoy the good moment of people experiencing a unique human moment.

Yeah, I'll say it, I like the loved ones visits. Are they good TV? Usually not,

I like how you answered your own question later in your post

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Honestly I think the most frustrating aspect of that loved one's visit is that players weren't put in the position of having to select others to share the reward after the challenge. It's a consistently interesting dilemma that always tends to have ramifications for in-game dynamics.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

IcePhoenix posted:

I like how you answered your own question later in your post

Your quote removes the context showing that this family visit was a good one, but okay.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

Your quote removes the context showing that this family visit was a good one, but okay.

being a less bad than normal bad thing doesn't change that it's still a bad thing

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm not a strategy addict longing for his weekly fix so the family visit didn't bother me. Although they could have made it even longer and put it up on CBS all access.
What bothers me more is Probst allowing all the whispering at Tribal.
It doesn't add anything to viewers understanding what is going on. Also when Probst says "Okay time to vote" that should end strategizing, not allow players to continue whispering and changing plans.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/meeshfitz/status/1250654870232760320

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Bloop posted:

That's not normal for my family either but this is some horseshit and you should honestly be ashamed of yourself

I was being sarcastic, we didn't actually need 30 minutes, they could have just done a weird perv montage and wrapped it up in like 45 seconds

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I like the family visits. It helps humanize people for me.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Lone Goat posted:

I was being sarcastic, we didn't actually need 30 minutes, they could have just done a weird perv montage and wrapped it up in like 45 seconds

some people watch survivor for the strategy, some people watch it to see players french their kids, who's to say what's right and wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You guys seeing parents give their little kids a kiss and thinking sexual thoughts are the ones with a loving problem, not them.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The Bloop posted:

You guys seeing parents give their little kids a kiss and thinking sexual thoughts are the ones with a loving problem, not them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't even notice there were kids on that episode. Know why? I'm not a creep and I don't look at or see children.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think that the fact that everyone could complain about something this episode makes it an iffy one.

Some people are gonna complain that the family visit takes up too much time, some are gonna complain about all the whispering at tribal again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeff seems to see the whispering as a feature not a bug so I doubt they'll do much to curtail it

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I liked the family visits.

The whispering is dumb but it’s better than a Pagonging.

Rooting for Tyson to come back again and win.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The only thing that annoyed me about the family visits was Jeff's awful, repetitive questions. The reunions were nice, I don't need bizarre platitudes for every family.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Replace final tribal council with rites of passage! What do you mean "ugh", are you a robot???

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lol wasn’t Tyson’s win the last time they did rites of passage, and he clowned it so hard?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There is no final winner this season, everyone who stays wins equal share. Gay space communism is established and the only loser was Sandra who lost her shot to be the first three time winner.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Big Taint posted:

Lol wasn’t Tyson’s win the last time they did rites of passage, and he clowned it so hard?

Don't remember but that is the one person who could possibly make it watchable!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tellah posted:

Jeremy's "I'm out of here" power would be a lot more useful if tribal council wasn't extended to allow a literal HUDDLE to determine who next to throw votes to afterward. Would be cool to force the dominant alliance to have a predetermined contingency or to fail by excessively splitting votes.

Also allowing Sarah to play her vote steal after opting not to - twice - feels bizarre.

Just a really big mess of a tribal all around.

big agreed, that was honestly ridiculous

i'm enjoying this season as a first time watcher but like, c'mon dude

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I don't usually care much for the family visits, but I really liked them this time. The presence of the entire family changed things. I realized I was smiling through the whole segment and felt relief when they didn't have to do a challenge. It's a win in my book. And the EoE people getting to see their families with the payoff hug at the end - I liked it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that one guy posted:

I don't usually care much for the family visits, but I really liked them this time. The presence of the entire family changed things. I realized I was smiling through the whole segment and felt relief when they didn't have to do a challenge. It's a win in my book. And the EoE people getting to see their families with the payoff hug at the end - I liked it.

Same, and rights of passage was always bad. This was genuine human emotion, not artificial reverence

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
It's pretty wild that legitimate criticisms about segment length are being used to call one's overall compassion and empathy into question, as if it's weird not to rely on a heavily stage-managed, strategy-based reality show for one's regular "dose" of humanity, or something.

I generally like the segment more than I don't (and having the kids out there was a nice touch), but up until this season they had at least been able to present it effectively while also fitting everything (including the challenge/reward component, which imo is a crucial part of the whole deal) into a reasonable timeframe, so their inability to do so this time around is disappointing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

mancalamania posted:

And while we’re speculating, here’s another scenario: Tyson predicts 3-3-3 where he is one of the 3s. He knows he won’t survive the revote, so he knows his only hope is to vote for the other 3 to make it 4-3-2, so makes the guess between a Denise and Kim. But then what was the other Denise vote??

Lol at Tyson playing around a 3-3-3 vote

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It wouldn't be a Tyson vote-out if it wasn't hard to understand what happened I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Raxivace posted:

It wouldn't be a Tyson vote-out if it wasn't hard to understand what happened I guess.

His vote out in Tocantins was pretty obvious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

His vote out in Tocantins was pretty obvious, though.
True, and I suppose his first vote out in this season was as well. Thus what we can conclude is that Winners at War will be a repeat of Tyson's Survivor career.

The first vote out was straightforward, as it was in Tocantins.

This second vote out was confusing and people can't seem to agree on just what happened, as it was in Heroes vs. Villains.

Tyson actually won his third season of course, which means if he comes back from Edge history will repeat itself and Tyson shall win again as it will be his third try at Winners at War. You can't argue with this highly scientific argument.