Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel really good about my relatively arbitrary decision to stop watching Community during the third season. I adored it but I think I moved on at the right time for me, everything I've heard about later seasons makes it seem like I went out at just the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Justin Lin directed a couple of episodes. Watch those.

I will never not laugh at Dean's rap.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched all of Community this past week and a half and I enjoyed it more than I expected. The first two seasons really hold up and are genuinely great, but three and four are just gimmick after gimmick and it gets super old before culminating in the abysmal season five. Six is alright though, I like the new characters played by Keith David and Paget Brewster.

It’s another show like The Office where the sudden popularity of an actor thanks to The Hangover had them thrusting that character into the limelight when he should have just remained in the supporting cast. I love Ken Jeong in the show and Chang is hilarious but he works best in small doses and turning him into some kind of recurring villain does not work at all. It just gets so old having him constantly increase in weirdness until he’s literally oiling himself up to slide through air ducts and talking to mannequin legs while he rules the school like a literal dictator. He’s so much better as a burnt out rear end in a top hat professor.

The show also really falls into a routine around the third season. Binging the show makes all the big Jeff closing speeches stick out like one long uninterrupted selfish prick lecture.

As far as Chang goes I think it was more that after the first season they knew they had a funny actor, but they had no idea what to do with the character. I haven't listen to them in years but I remember in the second and third season commentary Harmon brought up a few times that they just kept scrambling to come up with ideas for Chang that they never stuck with. Pretty much everyone in retrospect agrees the first season of his character was the best, and they just never got a handle on him because it wasn't a priority.

I'm still a huge fan of the show but the chaotic production because of Harmon led to a lot of issues.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

As far as Chang goes I think it was more that after the first season they knew they had a funny actor, but they had no idea what to do with the character. I haven't listen to them in years but I remember in the second and third season commentary Harmon brought up a few times that they just kept scrambling to come up with ideas for Chang that they never stuck with. Pretty much everyone in retrospect agrees the first season of his character was the best, and they just never got a handle on him because it wasn't a priority.

I'm still a huge fan of the show but the chaotic production because of Harmon led to a lot of issues.

That makes sense, they even lampshade it in a season six episode. The group is explaining to Frankie that Chang used to be their teacher and Chang says something like “And, if we’re honest, I have not been properly utilized since.”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

I feel really good about my relatively arbitrary decision to stop watching Community during the third season. I adored it but I think I moved on at the right time for me, everything I've heard about later seasons makes it seem like I went out at just the right time.

You made the right call, S1 and 2 were the good ones and it was steadily downhill after

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched all of Community this past week and a half and I enjoyed it more than I expected. The first two seasons really hold up and are genuinely great, but three and four are just gimmick after gimmick and it gets super old before culminating in the abysmal season five. Six is alright though, I like the new characters played by Keith David and Paget Brewster.

It’s another show like The Office where the sudden popularity of an actor thanks to The Hangover had them thrusting that character into the limelight when he should have just remained in the supporting cast. I love Ken Jeong in the show and Chang is hilarious but he works best in small doses and turning him into some kind of recurring villain does not work at all. It just gets so old having him constantly increase in weirdness until he’s literally oiling himself up to slide through air ducts and talking to mannequin legs while he rules the school like a literal dictator. He’s so much better as a burnt out rear end in a top hat professor.

The show also really falls into a routine around the third season. Binging the show makes all the big Jeff closing speeches stick out like one long uninterrupted selfish prick lecture.

You're crazy. Season 3 had Digital Estate Planning and Remedial Chaos Theory, among other very strong episodes.

4 is the worst of the lot. The only joke that I remember from it is the German exchange student's referring to that old TV show, "Hogan's Villains"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Petition to have the next breaking bad universe series be a semi-prequel to better call saul featuring mark proksch's character as the lead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also how was Hold the Dark? I liked Blue Ruin and Green Room pretty much.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Meh

It’s worth a look I guess but no where near Blue Ruin or Green Room

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I love Blue Ruin and Green Room but Hold the Dark is mediocre at best.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Petition to have the next breaking bad universe series be a semi-prequel to better call saul featuring kim wexler as the lead

ftfy

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

I mean, Kim is already pretty much the main character of Better Call Saul.

E: this is in no way a complaint

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If you're a fan of Saulnier then check it out for sure. I think it gets a bit of a bad rap, and even though it definitely doesn't reach the same heights as green room and blue ruin, I still love it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked it better than either of those two, but I am definitely in the minority with that opinion. It's more of a horror movie than Green Room.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it had some individual elements that were great , but the whole package was pretty sloppy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it had some individual elements that were great , but the whole package was pretty sloppy.

I can agree with this. Some bits felt like really great ideas that just needed to be in a better overall movie.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Petition to have the next breaking bad universe series be a semi-prequel to better call saul featuring mark proksch's character as the lead

This, but just go all the way and make it a Tim Heidecker production.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Are profiles actually available to anyone in Prime? They were announced almost a month ago, but I've never seen the "Profile Picker" at the top of the app.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've decided to finally start watching Better Call Saul and also the last season of Breaking Bad because I never finished it for some reason. Anyway, I'm six episodes into BCS and it's good and all, but the high point so far is definitely BJ from Righteous Gemstones showing off his erotic potty training toilet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think Ozark finally broke me. Not sure why, but when Laura linney broke into that family's/ their old home and hosed with their stuff before leaving, it was just so casually and pointlessly evil. Purposefully taking away those kids' sense of security purely for pleasure, I mean, I know they've done hosed up things but something about that just totally killed my interest in the show.

Wouldn't watch a show that follows the zany antics of a child molester, and they've almost reached that level.

Got to this point in Ozark. My take is she's angry about what she's lost and what she feels she's been forced to be turned into, and her actions are part edgy TV writer bullshit and a message to this idyllic family not to be naive dumbasses and to change their locks. Maybe also a wish she could have sent the message to her earlier self.

Personally I was way more turned off by Marty's sneaky attempts to control his wife through looking into installing spyware on her phone and paying off their therapist in that same episode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im on season 2 episode 8 of better call saul and i gotta say i just kinda love every character at this point, nobody's like a real hatable antagonist per se because mostly they're all just kinda lovely or kinda okay.
Howard, Kim, Mark Proksch, Hector, they're all great. I like Jimmy's brother a lot too, I love that the urge to steal Mesa Verde from Kim was enough to get him past all his poo poo, just like gently caress it they can even keep their phones IM GOING. And then I just loved his pitch.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im on season 2 episode 8 of better call saul and i gotta say i just kinda love every character at this point, nobody's like a real hatable antagonist per se because mostly they're all just kinda lovely or kinda okay.
Howard, Kim, Mark Proksch, Hector, they're all great. I like Jimmy's brother a lot too, I love that the urge to steal Mesa Verde from Kim was enough to get him past all his poo poo, just like gently caress it they can even keep their phones IM GOING. And then I just loved his pitch.

Watching Better Call Saul. Smart. It's what I woulda done.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Goddamn right :respek:

I can't believe that good of an actress has been under the radar for so long. She legit should have her own show

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been wanting to rent The Lighthouse for awhile now, but thanks to JustWatch, I found out that it was added to Prime just the other day!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I've been wanting to rent The Lighthouse for awhile now, but thanks to JustWatch, I found out that it was added to Prime just the other day!

God drat I rented it last week for $

It was worth it tho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Lighthouse was one of the best movies of 2019 and that's saying something because it was a jam packed year. Watch it right away!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Plus there's a new Mister Movies Podcast about The Lighthouse

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

Plus there's a new Mister Movies Podcast about The Lighthouse

What's Mister Movies?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ozark S3 was so loving good.

Ep 9 was heartbreaking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You can watch The Hunger Games live on YouTube with other people right now thanks to Fandango

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYchHbxF_w

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are guilty pleasures of mine :shobon: The Mockingjay movies are rear end though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's Mister Movies?

Mister movies podcast is a podcast about movies, hosted by Mister movies, the person movies are named after (it's pretty good, I found it on Spotify but I'm sure it's on the podcast platform of your choice)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Mister movies podcast is a podcast about movies, hosted by Mister movies, the person movies are named after (it's pretty good, I found it on Spotify but I'm sure it's on the podcast platform of your choice)

That is a deeply uninformative answer.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That is a deeply uninformative answer.

It's a newish movie review podcast, it's pretty funny. There aren't a ton of episodes yet but the ones that are up are entertaining and focus on movies I can pretty confidently guess you've seen. Kind of in the vein of We Hate Movies, discussion with some rehearsed material. He's also funny on Twitter so I hope he makes it. That's all I know I swear to God please don't Ozark me

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't felt seething hatred in a few months. Just watched the first 3 episodes of the Innocence Project doc on Netflix. Holy gently caress I wanna throttle that gently caress-stick Dr. West rear end in a top hat!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It's a newish movie review podcast, it's pretty funny. There aren't a ton of episodes yet but the ones that are up are entertaining and focus on movies I can pretty confidently guess you've seen. Kind of in the vein of We Hate Movies, discussion with some rehearsed material. He's also funny on Twitter so I hope he makes it. That's all I know I swear to God please don't Ozark me

Sounds good, I'm going to check it out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Ozark S3 was so loving good.

Ep 9 was heartbreaking.

That whole subplot did not go in the direction I was expecting.

For a minute my entire perception of Ruth broke because it seemed like she knew Wendy did it and just accepted it, but then she restored my faith.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
New seasons of Future Man and What We Do In The Shadows are both awesome. Better than the previous ones, even.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Glottis posted:

New seasons of Future Man and What We Do In The Shadows are both awesome. Better than the previous ones, even.

Future Man would have to be better than season 2.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Phantom is the free Broadway show this week and unlike last weeks Jesus Christ Superstar this one is really good. Its only up until 11am PST on Sunday though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINQjT7Zr9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hobbs and Shaw is on HBO and even as someone who never really "got" the FF movies, it's still supremely entertaining