Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

In Florida you can still turn right on red after stopping at a red arrow in the absence of a NO TURN ON RED sign. Are there railroad tracks there?

There's one of those in Baltimore to keep people from being hit by the light rail

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.284...!7i13312!8i6656

It's the un-illuminated square to the right of the no turn on red arrow sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Nah, no train tracks, just a really busy road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.445...!7i16384!8i8192

e: I'm a moron, thanks

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Nah, no train tracks, just a really busy road.

e: I added the image from maps but it isn't showing up for me, can any of yall see it?

The link you used isn't an image, it's a link to the street view itself. It can't be embedded by the forums. https://www.google.com/maps/@27.445...!7i16384!8i8192

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wolrah posted:

The link you used isn't an image, it's a link to the street view itself. It can't be embedded by the forums. https://www.google.com/maps/@27.445...!7i16384!8i8192

I think the illuminated sign serves as a no right on red sign on steroids. A normal sign might make people think only the left lane can’t right on red, but those signals look to be set up to prohibit all rights on red

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Apparently it's a thing in some Florida counties to prevent cars sitting in the crosswalk while attempting to turn right on red. The signal comes on when someone hits the crosswalk button.

mentioned briefly on page 22 of this pdf from Pinellas
https://forwardpinellas.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Pinellas-Pedestrian-Safety-Action-Plan.pdf

quote:

 Evaluate traffic control options to reduce left and right turn movement
pedestrian conflicts. Consider:
 Protected‐only left turn or lead/lag protected left turn (as may be
appropriate and/or necessary based on opposing traffic volume
and queue storage capacity);
 Pedestrian actuated no‐right‐turn‐on‐red LED signs; or
 Leading pedestrian interval and/or R10‐15 “Turning Traffic Must
Stop for Pedestrians in Crosswalk” signs.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 31, 2020

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Apparently it's a thing in some Florida counties to prevent cars sitting in the crosswalk while attempting to turn right on red. The signal comes on when someone hits the crosswalk button.

This is correct. For another example, the traffic light on McKinley Dr @ Fowler Ave in Tampa, FL does this. The no right turn signs illuminate when pedestrians have a walk phase across the right turn lanes. Old install from 10+ years ago, still rare and only found at intersections that have problems with ped collisions.

Here's a newer double right with the same controls, N/B Grand Cypress @ SR56 in Wesley Chapel, FL. This one is box span, also a monster of an intersection... has both nearside and farside traffic signals, due to the intersection being exceedingly wide. 33 signal heads, emergency pre-emption, and that lone light-up no right turn fixture.

Triple right turns have a hard no right turn on red prohibition. Another monster intersection, E/B Bloomingdale Ave @ US 301 in Brandon, FL:

Varance fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 31, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Being allowed to turn right on a red signal seems deeply wrong to me. In Norway it is not allowed. How common is it outside the US?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pun pundit posted:

Being allowed to turn right on a red signal seems deeply wrong to me. In Norway it is not allowed. How common is it outside the US?
Here in Germany it is not generally allowed. However there are two ways that it is explicitly allowed.

The first one is with an additional green arrow traffic light. With this one, if you have a green arrow, there aren't any cars from other directions that can come into conflict with turning right.

The second one is with an additional green arrow sign. With this one, you have to make sure no cars are coming, but you can turn on red.

There are more and more intersections that have signs of traffic lights like this, but the vast majority don't have that. And obviously they are only added where it is deemed safe.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pedestrians and cyclists have zero rights in America so turn-right-on-red makes sense there.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Today on my walking commute home through the Perth CBD (West Australia) all the traffic signals with pedestrian crossing had big stickers on them above the buttons stating that the City of Perth Council and Main Roads WA had switched all the intersections to automatic traffic/pedestrian cycling between 7AM-7PM. This means you don't have to press the button for pedestrian crossing (Some of the intersections definitely required that outside of peak transit times).

A good idea IMO to prevent roni transmission, anyone heard of other cities implementing it? Honestly for some main intersections like St Georges Tce/William St it was probably unnecessary as that already cycled between pedestrian and traffic all the time but the big stickers they put up on the poles are extremely good.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pedestrians and cyclists have zero rights in America so turn-right-on-red makes sense there.

Back in the Netherlands I was honked at by a car turning right on a green arrow while I was going straight on the cycle path's green light. There was a small sign warning car drivers of this but it was easy to miss.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

u brexit ukip it posted:

Back in the Netherlands I was honked at by a car turning right on a green arrow while I was going straight on the cycle path's green light. There was a small sign warning car drivers of this but it was easy to miss.

You should've let yourself get hit by the car, you would definitely have won the resulting lawsuit.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

pun pundit posted:

The US is even more messed up than you think. Some places you can't unless a sign says you can (NYC), some places you can't if it has a red arrow light, and some places let you turn right on red, even with a red arrow on, as long as there isn't a sign stating you can't.

I got passed by a semi truck on the left at an intersection with two right turning lanes when I was in the right most lane with a red arrow light on. I was like "wtf" so I looked up that state's laws and apparently that is fine unless there is a sign say no right turns on red. That just feels so wrong to me that I'm not going to do it as I'm not in those states very often and I don't want to be in a bad habit.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You can also make a left on red in some places. If you're on a one-way street, turning left onto another one-way street

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In Oregon left turn on red is allowed onto one way streets regardless of what type of street you're turning off of.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Indiana can turn right on red but you have to wait for any pedestrians (peds in crosswalk have ultimate right of way in Indiana for all the good it does)

you sometimes get stuff like this, a crosswalk in the middle of a street so peds can cross safely

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 31, 2020

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Indiana can turn right on red but you have to wait for any pedestrians (peds in crosswalk have ultimate right of way in Indiana for all the good it does)

you sometimes get stuff like this, a crosswalk in the middle of a street so peds can cross safely

Yep, that's what you used to do before RRFBs and HAWKs became a thing. Either that, or a full traffic signal designed to completely stop traffic.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Today on my walking commute home through the Perth CBD (West Australia) all the traffic signals with pedestrian crossing had big stickers on them above the buttons stating that the City of Perth Council and Main Roads WA had switched all the intersections to automatic traffic/pedestrian cycling between 7AM-7PM. This means you don't have to press the button for pedestrian crossing (Some of the intersections definitely required that outside of peak transit times).

A good idea IMO to prevent roni transmission, anyone heard of other cities implementing it? Honestly for some main intersections like St Georges Tce/William St it was probably unnecessary as that already cycled between pedestrian and traffic all the time but the big stickers they put up on the poles are extremely good.

It's a pretty trivial change to make (in many city CBDs that will already be there case during peak times), assuming there city doesn't have incredibly outdated signals hardware/software, or the city isn't incredibly hostile towards pedestrians.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

u brexit ukip it posted:

Always carry something heavy-ish and pointy in your coat pockets and chuck it at their windshield. Make a 180 towards the sidewalk, bike the gently caress away, and take the nearest non-car carrying exit. If caught on camera, claim you were startled and panicked.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koesj posted:

Always carry something heavy-ish and pointy in your coat pockets and chuck it at their windshield. Make a 180 towards the sidewalk, bike the gently caress away, and take the nearest non-car carrying exit. If caught on camera, claim you were startled and panicked.

Well to be fair the car did stop, the driver just wasn't very happy about it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Probably easier to carry a sack of caltrops. Can be deployed with greater stealth as well.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Why are there some 4-way intersections that only have three crosswalks? Is it always a case-by-case basis or are there some general rules that make it advantageous?

here are some examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3982367,-84.5471214,134m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3520721,-84.330771,213m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0209687,-85.6886807,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 8, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Somebody sitting at a desk decided it's fine for other people to walk three times as far to get across the street, probably? We have a few of those here and they are completely ignored.

e: here's a local one I DO know the reason for:

It's that way because 6th and 7th are one way, and there's a godawful interchange just south, so A LOT of people who need to go south on 6th have to go north on 7th then hang two lefts, like so:

Even without the crosswalk, M will back up from 6th, some moron will inevitably block the box on 7th and M, and then the left lane of 7th backs up down to the bottom of the pic.

It's also pointless since people just walk across with impunity, so they may as well just paint one at this point. I wish they'd sit a cop at 7th and M to just slap tickets on windshields when motherfuckers enter an intersection they can't leave, which is the actual problem here. Or ED a strip of the car lot to make a dedicated left lane, maybe.

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If you omit one of the crosswalk legs, you don’t have to have an extra phase for pedestrians on that leg that would conflict with cars that need a green arrow. Lets you get more vehicle capacity with the same amount of pavement.

These days we pretty much never do it, since multimodal design has become popular, but it was pretty common 15 or 20 years ago in my area.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Devor posted:

If you omit one of the crosswalk legs, you don’t have to have an extra phase for pedestrians on that leg that would conflict with cars that need a green arrow. Lets you get more vehicle capacity with the same amount of pavement.

These days we pretty much never do it, since multimodal design has become popular, but it was pretty common 15 or 20 years ago in my area.

Yeah there's one of these on my bike commute. It's extra annoying given that the intersection lies between a transit station and a medium-density neighbourhood, so it's actually a fairly busy pedestrian route.

They obviously made it that way so as to have an extra turn signal phase, but it's still not great. The bike route it's part of was designed in the 80s, though, so it's full of this sort of poo poo.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's only a few I can think of, but yeah they'll block off the left crosswalk when the majority of traffic through the intersection is turning left.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Traffic already gets backed up waiting to turn left at those spots, it makes sense that they don't want any pedestrians in that part of the intersection slowing it down even more. Thanks!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

less than three posted:

There's only a few I can think of, but yeah they'll block off the left crosswalk when the majority of traffic through the intersection is turning left.

Yeah the one I was referring to was Clark and Great Northern Way.

At the very least, I've heard they're planning on running a bike/pedestrian bridge alongside the Millennium line when they extend it. (Sorta like the Canada Line bridge to Richmond.) So that should hopefully improve things.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah the one I was referring to was Clark and Great Northern Way.

At the very least, I've heard they're planning on running a bike/pedestrian bridge alongside the Millennium line when they extend it. (Sorta like the Canada Line bridge to Richmond.) So that should hopefully improve things.

I was talking about Lougheed and Lake City Way. Funny we were talking about two different stations in the same city lol.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

less than three posted:

I was talking about Lougheed and Lake City Way. Funny we were talking about two different stations in the same city lol.

There was one at a super-busy intersection near me, with a 2min30sec cycle length, so it could potentially take you 7 and a half minutes to get through the intersection as a pedestrian, if you really wanted to go between the two worst corners.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
In Synchro, there's a way to export the delay and LOS using HCM to a spreadsheet right? My job as directed somehow has been just looking at the reports in pdf and having me do manual data entry into a table in MS Word and this seems incredibly stupid and slow.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eskaton posted:

In Synchro, there's a way to export the delay and LOS using HCM to a spreadsheet right? My job as directed somehow has been just looking at the reports in pdf and having me do manual data entry into a table in MS Word and this seems incredibly stupid and slow.

Pretty sure you can export to csv, a comma delimited file that Excel can import no problem

Are you meant to be doing sanity checks or other stuff that’s important for a junior engineer to learn?

It’s possible they just want to pad some hours or keep you busy though.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Devor posted:

Pretty sure you can export to csv, a comma delimited file that Excel can import no problem

Are you meant to be doing sanity checks or other stuff that’s important for a junior engineer to learn?

It’s possible they just want to pad some hours or keep you busy though.
I saw some csv exports, but I'm not sure if it does it like the HCM report or what the timing settings comes up with.

I'm a newbie, so yeah, but from what I've learned from my coworkers, the guy I'm working with is a dinosaur who does a lot of his work inefficiently. I don't wanna do this for another study.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
At grade cloverleaf

:confuoot:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are those crosswalks, painted around the center?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So people coming off a loop have to manage getting to a lane to the left WHILE crossing that center intersection and keeping in mind the traffic lights. Nice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the more I look at it the worse it gets.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

.... at least this is giving me some ideas for waveguides

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Was this on an early episode of the "Well there's your problem" podcast? I didn't actually look closely at the cross walks at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

In my defense, I was absent on the day they were teaching us about cloverleafs