Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there an in-universe explanation for why Star Fleet went away from the red/blue/yellow scheme in the movies then back to red/blue/yellow for TNG era? I get from TOS to TNG just because the amount of time has passed. But factoring in the TOS film ones makes it seem weirder to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the color scheme actually got more defined for the movie era maroon uniforms, it was just more subtle.

quote:

In these films, insignia representing departments are not worn; it is instead indicated by the color of the shoulder strap, arm band, and undershirt. The colors include white for command; gold for engineering; gray for science, communications and navigation; dark green for security; light green for medical; dark blue for operations; light blue for special services; and red for low-grade officers and officer cadets.

The TMP uniforms had no color differentiation by department. So, it seems like the eliminated it, the uniforms were unpopular, then they clean slated the design and packed in a lot more density of information.

Then they simplified again by the TNG era, flipping engineering and command.

But no, they really didn't talk about uniform colors at all in any of the shows and movies other than calling attention to it in Deep Space 9 when they went back to the TOS era.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We talk about the space navy's uniforms but the teeming jungle of US Navy uniforms puts Starfleet to shame. I mean, right now the Navy has four distinct colors for its uniforms, right? Khaki for submariners, whites, blues, and green camo? Not to mention all the air crews with their riot of color coding. They had blue camo too and only dropped it this decade.

100 years in US navy uniforms

The constant switching between double-breasted and single-breasted designs, often on the same ship at the same time, seems unrealistic to me IMO.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

bull3964 posted:

Well, the color scheme actually got more defined for the movie era maroon uniforms, it was just more subtle.

The TMP uniforms had no color differentiation by department. So, it seems like the eliminated it, the uniforms were unpopular, then they clean slated the design and packed in a lot more density of information.

Then they simplified again by the TNG era, flipping engineering and command.

But no, they really didn't talk about uniform colors at all in any of the shows and movies other than calling attention to it in Deep Space 9 when they went back to the TOS era.

TMP had division colors (the same as TWoK iirc) it was just on the lovely patches you could barely see and were almost falling off on many of the costumes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Carel Struycken should have been Data.

Data communicates entirely through interpretive chime ringing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neat, Captain Bateson must have gone back in time before he went forward in time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arglebargle III posted:

We talk about the space navy's uniforms but the teeming jungle of US Navy uniforms puts Starfleet to shame. I mean, right now the Navy has four distinct colors for its uniforms, right? Khaki for submariners, whites, blues, and green camo? Not to mention all the air crews with their riot of color coding. They had blue camo too and only dropped it this decade.

The constant switching between double-breasted and single-breasted designs, often on the same ship at the same time, seems unrealistic to me IMO.

It's way more complicated than that.

Here's what it was when I was in (2003-2009). I'll note changes since then that I'm aware of, but there may be others that I'm not.

Junior Enlisted uniforms (E-1 through E-6):

Dress blue and Dress White - the "crackerjack" style in black (officially it's very dark blue) with white trim or all white. White is for summer and blue is for winter. This is a formalized version of what sailors used to wear in the 18th and early 19th century, and some of the elements (neckerchief, flap behind the neck) are artifacts that were useful back then but are merely decorative now. Worn with the "dixie cup" hat for men and a weird mutant white hat with black brim for women, though nowadays women wear the same hat as men because the women's hat was universally regarded as stupid and ugly so it only stuck around for sixty years or so.

Women's enlisted dress blues had a single-breasted jacket over a white shirt in place of the jumper, with the option to wear a skirt instead of pants. Nowadays women wear a version of the same jumper men do, and I don't think a skirt option exists.

Service blue: black long sleeve shirt and slacks, with a tie. Worn with a garrison cap, the thing that looks like a tent on your head. Women could wear a skirt, and could choose their stupid hat or the garrison cap (I think).

Service whites: white short sleeve button down shirt (no tie), white slacks. Worn with the dixie cup hat. Women had a skirt option and wore their special hat. According to legend, could be worn with white shorts in tropical environments though I don't know anyone who actually served anywhere it was authorized.

(Both service blues and whites were replaced shortly after I got out with a year-round service uniform - khaki short sleeved shirt, black slacks, black garrison cap.)

Utilities: light blue top (could be short or long sleeves), dark blue pants. Work uniform, designed to be tough and to get dirty. Worn with boots and a ballcap. Not supposed to wear off base - this one doesn't impress anybody so it doesn't get shown off.

(Replaced after I left with blue-shade digital camoflage seen above, patterned after Marine uniforms, because blah blah moto bullshit. It didn't take too long for someone to realize that this was ridiculous and I understand they've been switched out to a green pattern now. There's a desert pattern too for anybody deployed there. These are also worn by officers, I'm told.)

Coveralls - dark blue, only ever worn on ship (and on some ships only ever underway), these are designed to get torn up and paint on them. Boots and ballcap.

Chiefs and Officers (E-6 through E-9 and O-1 through O-10)
(I'm less familiar with these because gently caress the nobility, changes may have occurred that I don't give a poo poo about)

Dress blues - this is basically a black suit and tie with a special officer hat. Women may wear a skirt.

Dress whites - White coat and slacks, no tie, high collar, I didn't see these very often.

Dinner dress - basically tuxedo cut. Legend speaks of a cape. Never saw them.

Service khakis - the equivalent of service blues or whites, no seasonal variation, short sleeves. 80% of the time I saw officers or chiefs they were wearing this. It's not reserved for submariners, the two subbies in the movie that's a publicity shot for are both officers.

Officers also wore coveralls, and I think they wear the cammie working uniform these days although that's after my time.

Special mention: Flight suits. Air wing officers and enlisted would wear these as the equivalent of their utilities or coveralls. Green.

And a whole smattering of coats, special detachment uniforms, color coded flight deck sweaters, etc etc etc and probably a few I've forgotten to mention.

Star Trek's uniforms are dead bang simple by comparison.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It was a cloak, not a cape, and I've seen it on two separate occasions: at a wedding and in the NX at Pensacola.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They did away with the cloak when they realized you can't fire while cloaked.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

They did away with the cloak when they realized you can't fire while cloaked.

:gowron:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love that the Navy had time during WW2 to do 2 uniform changes with everything else going on

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love that the Navy had time during WW2 to do 2 uniform changes with everything else going on

There's always time for protocol.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I like to think dude on the left is wearing the precursor to the skant.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doggles posted:

I like to think dude on the left is wearing the precursor to the skant.

"Sir, I find it difficult to perform my duties, as my work trousers keep getting sodden with gender fluids."

"Hmm, perhaps something more open would allow your fluids to flow freely, and dissipate in the air?"

"Is that how you Humans do it?"

"Oh, no, we just hate ourselves and take shame showers."

"I hope one day our world can live up to your example."

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

"Sir, I'm designing that new aviator uniform, I've never seen an airplane, what is flying them like?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's like riding horses, you sit up high and go real fast. Make it look like a cavalry uniform."

Edit: There's interesting stuff going on in the background of these illustrations, I just recognized the ship. It's the USS Wolverine, which was in service from the 1840s until the 1920s. A real life Miranda class ship.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2020

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Flag officers in Star Fleet should have sabres again imo. Romulans and Klingons get knives so why should Starfleet get left out.

Generations would have owned if the bridge crew never changed out of the uniforms they started in.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fornax Disaster posted:

"Sir, I'm designing that new aviator uniform, I've never seen an airplane, what is flying them like?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's like riding horses, you sit up high and go real fast. Make it look like a cavalry uniform."

That's pretty much how it went.

They were scouting, recon, and artillery spotting, so you wear the same thing as the other guys that do that?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Humerus posted:

Flag officers in Star Fleet should have sabres again imo. Romulans and Klingons get knives so why should Starfleet get left out.

Generations would have owned if the bridge crew never changed out of the uniforms they started in.

Warp me closer so I can hit them with my sword.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Somebody put together a Kazon watch-list?

Only if you also have a Dogar watchlist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Humerus posted:

Think how much more rad the Dominion War would have been with Sisko sword-fighting boarding parties and thrusting his saber around for emphasis during big speeches.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

This painting of the CSS Alabama's first officer always reminded me of Riker.

It was painted in the 1990's so that may not be a coincidence.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fornax Disaster posted:

This painting of the CSS Alabama's first officer always reminded me of Riker.

It was painted in the 1990's so that may not be a coincidence.

I don't see it. If he were manspreading over the cannon instead of walking around it, then yeah

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was looking for that comic where Riker has O'Brien beam his poop out and I found this instead, it's not bad: http://trekcomic.com/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I was looking for that comic where Riker has O'Brien beam his poop out and I found this instead, it's not bad: http://trekcomic.com/

https://chiefobrienatwork.com/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fornax Disaster posted:

Warp me closer so I can hit them with my sword.

sir, this is a Star Trek thread, not a Warhammer thread

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd expect a post-scarcity society to have increasingly complicated clothes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

also i'm curious why the badge says US Naval Security but the shoulder patch says something something Romania

contractor security for US warships in the Black Sea?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also i'm curious why the badge says US Naval Security but the shoulder patch says something something Romania

contractor security for US warships in the Black Sea?

Google says there’s a Naval Support Facility in Devesulu, Romania. Presumably those people are stationed there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I remember seeing this a while ago: one of the settings uses the Probert Ambassador class and early TNG bridge concept.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The benches at helm and ops are my favorite. Just gonna have random dudes roll up and bother the people operating the ship all day.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
That is some bridge design! Nothing speaks luxury than strapping benches to your work consoles, must be nice for those needing a rest after delivering a data pad, but no back rests for ops and science stations.

Can't wait for a torpedo to send crew members hurtling off the mezzanine and splat on the captain table.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

I can't see Yaphet Kotto as Picard.

Although part of me wonders if casting an African-American fellow to play a French-named guy means that Jean Luc Picard would have had ended up with all of the New Orleans stuff they used for Sisko later.

I just watched The Monkey Hustle last night and I want to live in the Yaphet Picard timeline so bad now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I remember seeing this a while ago: one of the settings uses the Probert Ambassador class and early TNG bridge concept.

I'm reading that story now, he also showed off the huge park space that's supposed to be in the Galaxy saucer in the bottom level of the tiered "platforms" leading up to the bridge:

Probert's Ambassador/early Galaxy concept is pretty great and I wish it'd showed up on DS9 or something. Almost makes me want to go back to STO to fly one, almost.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The specific one I was thinking of is different, there was another one in same style that was titled something like "Don't date telepaths" where Troi caught Riker lying about looking at another woman and locked herself in her quarters and he started pounding on her door going apeshit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's Space Avalanche

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For everyone who wants to attend a zoom meeting from science console 1.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcc12dTxY_U

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

That's Space Avalanche

Thanks, even better than I remember

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

I don't know why this makes me so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Pick posted:

That's Space Avalanche

Ha, I hadn't seen the Geordi one.