Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

This was a phenomenally good game with great art and voiceover, aside from being a good game, which it was.
e: a main menu screen

This is the sequel, actually. Here's the first:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yes they are both good games with good art and good voiceover :hai:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

This was a phenomenally good game with great art and voiceover, aside from being a good game, which it was.
e: a main menu screen

Wish they'd make a console game of this series

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish they'd make a new one at all. Freedom Force kicked rear end.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ken levine is too busy shutting down his company to start a new, smaller one and focus on making more story focused, replayable video games like *scrolls down list* oh i'm sorry it seems like they haven't released a video game in the 6 years they've existed

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
My brain says, they did it in a comic once, with Ghost Rider's penance stare on Galactus.

But, because Galactus is a force of nature, beyond good and evil, and beyond regret for inferior things it didn't work?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s based on a story where Doctor Strange uses a spell to cause a similar effect on Galactus, so it was easy to substitute him for the more 90’s appropriate Ghost Rider. There were two waves of Ghost Rider figures in 95-96, and this was all we really got of him in the cartoons. I think they showed his face once in a episode of X-Men.

I believe there was a cartoon in the works and that was going to be a backdoor pilot. Then the guest episode in the Hulk cartoon was going to be the backdoor pilot. Then it disappeared.

But the toys were cool as gently caress

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Quick question: when Ghost Rider wasn't on screen in the Fantastic Four/Hulk cartoon did all the characters ask "Where is Ghost Rider?"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Endless Mike posted:

This is the sequel, actually. Here's the first:

I didn't know that the world needed Sean Connery to play Aquaman before playing Freedom Force, but now it makes zero sense for him not to have a Scottish accent.

Also the Martian Manhunter needs to be voiced by a Kurtwood Smith impersonator (or I guess the real thing) in all things

That game had such a great voice cast.

Alche-miss, sugar!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

sticksy posted:

Not only that, it was mind-blowing to me the potential of how good X-Men could be based upon that opening sequence/Japanese intro but that level of quality never made it into the episodes themselves.

XMTAS wasn't especially "good," I guess, but it was ambitious as all hell. The first episode throws tons of characters into the mix, there's a season-long arc right off the bat (the "Previously on..." segment of the second episode is about as long as later season Game of Thrones episodes), and towards the end they tried--badly, IIRC--to tie into the latest comic stories. I never appreciated until coming back to it how successful the strategy of "the X-Men are a thing, now let's meet twenty of them" was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

XMTAS wasn't especially "good," I guess, but it was ambitious as all hell. The first episode throws tons of characters into the mix, there's a season-long arc right off the bat (the "Previously on..." segment of the second episode is about as long as later season Game of Thrones episodes), and towards the end they tried--badly, IIRC--to tie into the latest comic stories. I never appreciated until coming back to it how successful the strategy of "the X-Men are a thing, now let's meet twenty of them" was.

Marvel didn't make a good cartoon until Avengers EMH.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spectacular Spider-Man was solid and X-Men: Evolution had its moments, but yeah

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My kids (6 year old girl and 4 year old boy) been watching the Spider-Man cartoon on Disney+ and while both are into it I wish they made a superhero cartoon show for little girls. Something like Ms Marvel would be perfect for this but nope, only dudes get their own show.

Edit: anyone know if the Marvel rising cartoons they got an the D+ need like any comic knowledge or something? Cause they got a lot of teamups and stuff which would be a neat way to introduce the kids to a couple more characters.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 7, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the rising cartoons introduce the characters so you dont really need any prior background

also, its not marvel but dc super hero girls is a thing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

My kids (6 year old girl and 4 year old boy) been watching the Spider-Man cartoon on Disney+ and while both are into it I wish they made a superhero cartoon show for little girls. Something like Ms Marvel would be perfect for this but nope, only dudes get their own show.

I hear the new She-Ra is pretty dang good

Edit: Also the creator of the new My Little Pony made this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Super_Hero_Girls_(TV_series)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: Also the creator of the new My Little Pony made this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Super_Hero_Girls_(TV_series)

Oh neat. Super hero girls is on Netflix. I'll check it out. She-Ra is pretty rad but my daughter didn't like it.
Guess I'll throw in marvel rising after the first Spider-Man season to mix things up a bit.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She-Ra is a fun, good cartoon and from what I've heard from friends with kids DC Super Hero Girls is also cute and funny. I don't know if little kids still like Steven Universe but most of the cool super-powered characters in that were women too.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Teen Titans Go is a mixed team.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shai-Hulud posted:

Edit: anyone know if the Marvel rising cartoons they got an the D+ need like any comic knowledge or something? Cause they got a lot of teamups and stuff which would be a neat way to introduce the kids to a couple more characters.

If you don’t mind anime, Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure are classics for a reason

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Amethyst and Super Best Friends Forever shorts on CN were fun. :smith:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

maybe of interest esp. to the people who read Mary Worth right now: a tumblr post of really good June Brigman comic book covers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:NM

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

maybe of interest esp. to the people who read Mary Worth right now: a tumblr post of really good June Brigman comic book covers

June Brigman rules, and her Marvel work is such underrated and beautiful work, but the panels of Wilbur and the fighting Wilbur babies are her magnum opus.

Anyway I saw this on twitter and found it fascinating:
https://twitter.com/GhosttGray/status/1249731213784313856

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 14, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ghost Rider just straight up setting Galactus's face on fire is amazing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

June Brigman rules, and her Marvel work is such underrated and beautiful work, but the panels of Wilbur and the fighting Wilbur babies are her magnum opus.

Thank you for loving June Brigman. I think, if I remember an interview I read, that Power Pack came out of Louise Simonson (she was Simonson at the time?) wanting to do a superhero comic with actual children and no one available at the time could draw children that looked like actual children except for Brigman.

fake edit: found it, can confirm:

quote:

Nrama: How did your collaboration with Louise Simonson flourish with concept for the team?

Brigman: She had this idea for a group of siblings who get their superpowers from an alien who crashes on the beach during their summer vacation. She asked me if I could draw children, and I said yes.

This may not seem like a big deal. But at the the time, there were lots of artists who were great at drawing big beefy superheroes, but couldn’t draw children. So, I went back to my friend’s place in the Bowery, did some samples, and showed them to Weezie the next day. She liked them, wrote up a proposal, and gave it to Jim Shooter. He liked it, we shook hands, signed a contract, and got to work.

This isn't the thread to hash it out but man, Shooter encouraged and nurtured a lot of great talents and ideas.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

also if you read Power Pack, it is loving insane what those children went through; Louise was just brutal on every book she wrote, but man, to think that she created Power Pack in order to see them through such trauma (tied into Fall of the Mutants! sure! yes, why not!) is pretty wild.

real edit: oh yeah and the time the Marauders, whose name I can't believe has been rehabbed for a hero book, mass-murdered a bunch of innocent sewer-dwelling mutants

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the worst example of kids drawn badly in comics is John Romita Jr's 9/11 issue of Spider-Man:

Not art related, but it also features this page which is some revisionist bullshit, all of these guys have likely committed atrocities on this scale or worse:

Literally, in some cases. Here's Juggernaut celebrating knocking over the WTC:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The only one I could see even caring about the world trade center is Fisk because:

a. He is a New Yorker through and through
b. He hasn't committed near the same amount of murders as Doom and Magneto who pretty much blow up buildings on a weekly basis.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

quote:

I think that Juggernaut reaction is the best thing Todd McFarlane has ever drawn.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

catlord posted:

I wish they'd make a new one at all. Freedom Force kicked rear end.

There's a new turn-based X-Com gameplay styled Super hero game out today called Sentinels of Freedom.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

Bought it, haven't played it yet. But the previews looked good and the character creator seemed excellent.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

(ahem) I'm the can of cream of chicken soup Juggernaut drank immediately after balling through one of the towers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Deptfordx posted:

There's a new turn-based X-Com gameplay styled Super hero game out today called Sentinels of Freedom.

Bought it, haven't played it yet. But the previews looked good and the character creator seemed excellent.

cool, thanks for the heads up

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pastry of the Year posted:

(ahem) I'm the can of cream of chicken soup Juggernaut drank immediately after balling through one of the towers

I'm "OH MY -- HA - HEE - HA - HA!"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Madkal posted:

The only one I could see even caring about the world trade center is Fisk because:

b. He hasn't committed near the same amount of murders as Doom and Magneto who pretty much blow up buildings on a weekly basis.

In a Marvel New York he probably owns like half the businesses in there, too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Man, I guess it still pisses me off that people try to tear into that issue of Spider-Man that was made while they were still pulling bodies out. That’s some pedantic bullshit, and is embarrassing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Deptfordx posted:

Ooh, that looks neat! Thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, I guess it still pisses me off that people try to tear into that issue of Spider-Man that was made while they were still pulling bodies out. That’s some pedantic bullshit, and is embarrassing.

Not nearly as embarrassing as the comic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

c. He owns a ton of property

Beaten

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was a serious issue but I think people take it too seriously, for good and bad. It wasn't some long drawn-out stroyline, just a one and done. Like it's clearly the creators working through their grief (grieving through their work?) and trying to express how beyond the pale the act was.

Also, while the subject matter is morbid, the art was amazing. People remember Doom crying but the issue had some incredible JRjr panels and pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As far as poorly-drawn children are concerned, nothing quite proves June Brigman's point like the final issues of Power Pack.

The first time I saw this cover while looking through back issues, I thought it was going to be some kind of confusing flash-forward with the kids as teenagers. The kid in yellow? He's supposed to be about 8.