Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Physical Education is probably the single best episode of Community to show someone who's never seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the first episode I ever saw was Modern Warfare, and as much as I love it, it's really not a good example of what you should expect to see in a regular episode of the show.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in season 2 is an absolute blast too, it's very different from most episodes but I think is more in line with the kind of energy you might expect from the show.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in season 2 is an absolute blast too, it's very different from most episodes but I think is more in line with the kind of energy you might expect from the show.

Pierce emphatically saying " Faaaaaat" will always get me.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Pussy Quipped posted:

Pierce emphatically saying " Faaaaaat" will always get me.

My favorite line read of that episode is the way Chang says, "Brutalitops, the Magician."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arist posted:

Physical Education is probably the single best episode of Community to show someone who's never seen it before.

Agreed. It is out of the initial 12 episode run and the characters have all started to hit their future selves. Jeff is not trying to get into Britta's pants as much and are friends, Troy/Abed pairing is firmly established, everyone has good quips, and Jeff is not the too cool for school guy (a better episode for that is the Jack Black one which hangs a big lampshade on it.)

The baggels line is also where we really see the beginning of the Worst Britta as well.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's kind of depressing watching season one and seeing how much licensed music and wide open out door shots with lots of extras there are compared to the better seasons that have reduced budgets and are mostly the study group by themselves on one or two sets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Bert and Ernie skit at the end of Physical Education when Troy suddenly remembers where he was supposed to be is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thlzQfi6Ma4

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Arist posted:

Balls, like a man!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

It's kind of depressing watching season one and seeing how much licensed music and wide open out door shots with lots of extras there are compared to the better seasons that have reduced budgets and are mostly the study group by themselves on one or two sets.
This always seems to be the case, especially with sitcoms. Limitations lead to better writing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know I’m getting ahead of things but I just rewatched Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and j honestly think it’s not only the best Community episode but one of the best sitcom episodes of all time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What a coincidence, I just so happened to rewatch that one (and Remedial Chaos Theory) last night.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I know I’m getting ahead of things but I just rewatched Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and j honestly think it’s not only the best Community episode but one of the best sitcom episodes of all time

that one and the conspiracy theory are probably my favourites past season one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, despite what I said about not doing consecutive seasons, I'm thinking about lifting that guideline because we're already talking so much about future episodes and we have a good semi-conversation going. Any objections?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please don't throw me in the briar patch of watching more episodes of Community. Please anything but that!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Community poking fun at the Dead Poets Society was my first clue this show was going to be something special. I enjoyed the pilot and all, but the line "Why are you dressed like an 80's rapist?" killed me. Also, "I will have... a BIRTHDAY CAKE!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, let's make this official: starting today, six episodes a week for four weeks. So:

Community Season 2

4/19-4/25: 201-206
4/26-5/2: 207-212
5/3-5/9: 213-218
5/10-5/16: 218-224

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The season two premiere of Community is so great, so that somehow the weakest part of it was Betty White. In 10 minutes they were able to turn this season long Jeff/Britta will-they-won't-they storyline on its head, and give perhaps the grossest kiss in network television history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJWYiJArKA Just the extra second just touching tongues.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Just a general remark: I forgot just how much Dan Harmon (I think?) hated Glee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Britta's involuntary "UGHHH!" when their tongues touch is amazing :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good reading during this season is the series of interviews Dan Harmon did with AV Club for their “The Walkthrough” series (one of the best things they ever did, tbh, and something I miss severely), going through season two episode-by-episode. It’s, as you may imagine, extremely Dan Harmon, full of probably-drunken rambling and self-flagellation, but I still think it’s extremely interesting to see a showrunner speak so openly and honestly about what they thought worked and didn’t, as well as the challenges in breaking stories and the kind of notes the producers and network would give.

As luck would have it, the four articles correspond exactly to our weekly schedule, so here’s the first article, covering episodes 201-206.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escobarbarian posted:

Good reading during this season is the series of interviews Dan Harmon did with AV Club for their “The Walkthrough” series (one of the best things they ever did, tbh, and something I miss severely), going through season two episode-by-episode. It’s, as you may imagine, extremely Dan Harmon, full of probably-drunken rambling and self-flagellation, but I still think it’s extremely interesting to see a showrunner speak so openly and honestly about what they thought worked and didn’t, as well as the challenges in breaking stories and the kind of notes the producers and network would give.

As luck would have it, the four articles correspond exactly to our weekly schedule, so here’s the first article, covering episodes 201-206.

Some of the Megan Ganz love that Harmon gives for this piece feels...awkward, considering.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah absolutely but I wasn’t gonna bring that up until week 2 lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jason Sextro posted:

Just a general remark: I forgot just how much Dan Harmon (I think?) hated Glee.

"What ARE regionals!?"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Since this show came to Netflix I have been rewatching it, I saw the original run as it aired back in the day.
I enjoyed S6 even with all the vague Yahoo streaming being weird/causing issues, but man that is a good season on rewatch; they went out on a pretty high note. Frankie is an amazing addition to the cast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zedd posted:

Since this show came to Netflix I have been rewatching it, I saw the original run as it aired back in the day.
I enjoyed S6 even with all the vague Yahoo streaming being weird/causing issues, but man that is a good season on rewatch; they went out on a pretty high note. Frankie is an amazing addition to the cast.

There was an interesting video I watched the other day on Community vs. Arrested Development and how they both kind of flubbed coming back from cancellation, even if Community is generally regarded as higher in quality.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Dawgstar posted:

There was an interesting video I watched the other day on Community vs. Arrested Development and how they both kind of flubbed coming back from cancellation, even if Community is generally regarded as higher in quality.

Those seem like an odd comparison since Community never spent a significant amount of time canceled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Those seem like an odd comparison since Community never spent a significant amount of time canceled.

Feel free to watch it yourself. Although I did phrase it wrong as it's more about how not to revive a show.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

there's obviously something to that because I used to watch Arrested Development constantly and pretty much once the 4th season came out and was disappointing that stopped, and I used to watch Community a lot too, to the point where it was probably my favorite show during the second and third seasons, and I haven't watched an episode of that in years.

meanwhile, I watch the gently caress out of American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Frasier, and most importantly Newsradio

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Also the remaining cast and crew were still under contract and gave the show their full attention, a lot of the trouble from Arrested Development's return was having to do everything piecemeal and shooting a tors separately since they had scattered to the winds and had prior obligations

Also also Dan Harmon abusing and sexually harassing his staff never got him and the show Cancelled in the same way Jeffrey Tambour did, he only had to take a one season break from the show before returning.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does anyone remember those fan made season wrap up/mash up videos? I think one of them was eventually put on a DVD release.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always forget that Troy lived with Pierce for awhile. Even though it was an actual plot point as to why they didn't do it initially, it always feels weird to me that the Troy/Abed partnership was restricted purely to the school at first.

Watching everything fall apart in quick order after Abed pulls out the wedding ring for Jeff and Britta is just amazing, and I love that the priest takes part in the high five with Jeff after he declares himself the "winner".

Edit: loving hell, episode 2's opening :xd:

Dean Pelton: Oktoberfest in Greendale has never really been popular.... probably because of our diversity.... :ssh:

Also, got to love Greendale's quality publication.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 24, 2020

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hopping on this (thanks insomnia) and I just noticed that Pierce's school song in ep 1x05 referenced air conditioner repair classes... .

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Part 2 of Harmon’s walkthroughs, and the first one with some of the Megan Ganz stuff: https://tv.avclub.com/dan-harmon-walks-us-through-community-s-second-season-1798226541

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

oh no I only now just realized there's a community rewatch!

re: cancellation causing issues, it definitely did but to this day I still say Season 6 is the best season and a fantastic way for the show to go out.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah I finally tracked it down (or lazily watched it from Netflix) and it is great, definitely. Paget Brewster really does add a lot to it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh whoa, an active community rewatch thread! Sweet!!

Myself and two other flatmates have been independently watching community. It's nice to hear the theme song play from other bedrooms ^_^
I'm currently up to season 3. The end of s3 is as far as I got when it aired - I'm unsure why I stopped watching, I think life got in the way. Because I always had a lot of love for the show. I think the original SA thread is what got me into it too! Here are some loose thoughts from my rewatch so far:
-As a 30 year old health psychology mature student, I identify with Britta SO MUCH! She's just great. "I dropped out of high school to impress Radiohead."
-This show is mighty kind to those of us who aren't on the 'socially acceptable speedrun track' of life. It has heaps of heart, it's so wholesome and encouraging.
-At the same time, a lot of the banter is so... mean? Like, it's almost on par with those sitcoms-sans-laugh track videos.
-The Dean is fun and cool and a great character. I love the silly slight gag of him touching Jeff's chest almost once every episode. I like how they don't put too much emphasis or camera time on that bit. Jeff always looks down on it and then we move on.
-Annie and Shirley's "aww"s are a beat I forgot about.
-This show makes me want to have a clique. I need a clique!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
E: wrong thread

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i like the episode with the kfc rocket ship

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i like the episode with the kfc rocket ship

I remember disliking it when it first aired, but it is one I go back to alot now. I think it was sandwiched between two episodes I like alot more - Halloween and the Pierce/Leonard fun times gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I independently started a rewatch roughly at the same time TVIV did. I forgot about how much better Britta being smart with good motives was compared to making a character "the worst" was.