Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Klyith posted:

Huh, that's really interesting and different, since watching that video this morning I keep thinking about it. The thing I'd immediately point out is that a fan with equal volume, not just the same frontage area like his 4 noctua fans, would be a bigass box fan. A box fan would do his silly bag inflation test so fast it would make the bellows look stupid.

On the plus side, the static pressure rating of bellows is yes. And the bellows box will have fairly linear performance across any speed range, down to as slow a speed as you want to move the plate. A standard fan has minimum RPM ratings, both from the motor and because fan blades become inefficient if their airfoil is moving too slow.

Last thing is that if you made a PC based on that concept it would need a ton of free air space around it. Normal fans in boxes tend to take fresh air in on one side, and exhaust hot air to a different direction. If you build a PC box on one side of the bellows box, as soon as the plate reverses direction it just pulls the same air it exhausted back in. All your cooling is about the air mixing outside the case before being drawn back in. If you have it under a desk or something it would have really bad performance.

Cool channel though, the broken laptop to HTPC conversion was pretty cool.

Nah, you can sort out airflow direction with some reed valves, like an air compressor or small gas engine design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJwwLRJBk

Tech Jesus ranting about motherboard form factors. It's amazing.

This has probably already been done to death (I don't really follow GN much) but I wish he would get an autocue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Frank Dillinger posted:

Nah, you can sort out airflow direction with some reed valves, like an air compressor or small gas engine design.

That's what he had on the first iteration and they made noise. Reed valves aren't silent (thus the category of musical instruments).

~Coxy posted:

This has probably already been done to death (I don't really follow GN much) but I wish he would get an autocue.

No autocue can keep up with tech jesus once he gets going on a high-speed rant!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

~Coxy posted:

Eh, I kinda like that the script is just a printout on the desk, it's sorta part of the charm somehow. GN is just some nerds who used to operate out of Steve's mom's house until like a year ago and all the money goes into more testing equipment. I also bet the cat would be much less interested in a teleprompter. :colbert:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Linus has to constantly hit the button on his hip to load the next page of his script and it's very distracting.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

~Coxy posted:

Whenever I try to watch his stuff, all I can think is 'why am I watching somebody reading out an article to me? Why don't I just read it myself?'

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Linus is annoying af, so I'd rather have tech jesus reading out articles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't watch either. But Tech Jesus is pretty funny when he's a guest on other shows or if he's just ranting about something off the cuff.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lambert posted:

Linus is annoying af, so I'd rather have tech jesus reading out articles.

Steve doesn’t do pc builds for Nazis :angel:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're just jealous of Linus

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kerbtree posted:

Steve doesn’t do pc builds for Nazis :angel:

That's the first LTT video I actively avoided. Like normally if it's a dumb concept I'll at least keep it as background noise in case something dumb/interesting happens. But this was a misstep

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that creeper build is pretty sick, shame it's going to a scumbag. wtf linus.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shut up Meg posted:

Whenever I try to watch his stuff, all I can think is 'why am I watching somebody reading out an article to me? Why don't I just read it myself?'

There's not much point to watching GN's reviews, they usually publish those in article form anyway and it's mostly just the charts that are interesting. Same thing with the hardware news recaps. The only reason they're on YouTube at all is that the cursed internet advertising economy forces them to. It's a waste of everyone's time and everyone knows it but that's where the money is. GN does have a lot of other content that's worth watching though, like the factory tours, some of their interviews and things like the EATX video above that's just Steve going off about vendor bullshit.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 30, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They're basically the audiobook versions of the articles. decent background noise. I think the video format is worthwhile when they're tearing poo poo apart, doing experiments or showing off cases. When it's just product shots and him reading an A4, it's just dull. Not a dig on Steve, he does seem cool and is 100% in on the joke that his youtube presence is often about as gripping as a fish tank.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

We don't have a thread for casemods, so I'll share this here because it's pretty sweet.

https://youtu.be/IRxOPDl5ZM4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xerophyte posted:

Someone finally found the solution to the unfortunate loudness of pc fans: using watercooling equipment and neodymium magnets to create a giant, silent bellows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Y7DHfoFOk

Sure, it'll double the size of your fulltower but in for a penny, in for a pound.

(DIY Perks also does goddamn fantastic PC builds, to the point where he gets a pass for being an audiot)

Speaking of interesting cooling hacks, this guy has an overview of a bunch of methods that should be more effective than your regular paste. I'd certainly want to try grinding both surfaces to a mirror finish and using nothing else, as well as the indium sheet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOTMq9g8Nk

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
what if you ground the heatsink and the IHS so flat that you could wring them together like gauge blocks :wth:

sure the manufacturing tolerances required would make both parts stupid expensive but that sick thermal efficiency tho

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 5, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheFluff posted:

what if you ground the heatsink and the IHS so flat that you could wring them together like gauge blocks :wth:

sure the manufacturing tolerances required would make both parts stupid expensive but that sick thermal efficiency tho

I predict that it wouldn't work because the IHS probably has some non-uniform thermal expansion in operation.

mobby_6kl posted:

as well as the indium sheet

The company he talked about that makes the perforated indium sheets that would do the plastic flow in a CPU sells them online. Just $300 for 20 cpu-size squares!

Arctic Silver, eat your heart out!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That would be a pretty good deal if you could buy one at a time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The larger solid sheets are indeed like :10bux: on ebay though. New business idea: poke holes in these sheets yourself and resell the results to Linus.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Klyith posted:

I predict that it wouldn't work because the IHS probably has some non-uniform thermal expansion in operation.

yeah I know, I know, I had the same thought, but it'd be cool, y'know?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

yeah I know, I know, I had the same thought, but it'd be cool, y'know?
No the problem is that it won't be cool. At least that's what I think Klyith is saying. I'd totally to it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

The larger solid sheets are indeed like :10bux: on ebay though. New business idea: poke holes in these sheets yourself and resell the results to Linus.

Hmmm, indium melts at just 156C / 313F, which is too hot for a the CPU to melt by itself. But instead of getting the expensive perforated sheets, you could do the cheap sheets (0.1mm though, your ebay link is 0.2mm) and use a normal oven to assist. Put the heatsink on the CPU with the foil, put it in the oven at 150/300, and now you have the pressure and temperature to make it plastic.

Are mobo components ok at 150C?

I also think the indium sheet might stick the CPU and heatsink together real good, like getting the heatsink off without ripping the CPU out of the socket could be a problem. So while unlike thermal paste it's good forever, it's also only a good idea if you never want to take it off.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

~Coxy posted:

He said that he's tried that in the past and prefers reading off of paper.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPj6e3jtz0

Linus is a manufacturing company now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPj6e3jtz0

Linus is a manufacturing company now.

Unrelated but okay I guess Linus is the one person growing a beard like that actually works for. He looks much more mature with it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's the first LTT video I actively avoided. Like normally if it's a dumb concept I'll at least keep it as background noise in case something dumb/interesting happens. But this was a misstep

Wait what the gently caress

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, what? LTT and nazis? Is this internet hyperbole?

mewse
May 2, 2006

They're referring to Linus building a computer for PewDiePie, so yes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand PewDiePie is more annoying than Nazis so I'm definitely staying away from that video

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New LGR Foods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur1l89gNQBA

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not like you can put too much butter in eggs, but hot drat thats a lot of butter for two eggs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe a little more than a tablespoon. Gordon Ramsay uses twice as much and adds sour cream as well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Butter + salt = tasty, and I'm pretty sure there's no level where there's not a linear relationship, but its also why restaurant food is so so bad for you.

Two tablespoons of butter is already more butter than egg, throw in the sour cream and Mr. Ramsey has himself a thick-rear end custard masquerading as breakfast.

E: Also in LGR foods, this went up today too.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 17, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The accents in Hardware Unboxed bother me almost as much as Linus' voice. Still feel bad about him almost quitting youtube, its fun to rib him.

Someone here said it best about Linus:

OhFunny posted:

It's also nice to see Linus the person and not the character he plays.
I'd like to see more of him

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Linus mentioned in this latest live stream about not driving his Volt enough to use gas in a while and he wants to add fuel stabilizer. I really hope he doesn't do that, fuel management on that car is 110% managed by the car itself and he'll probably break something :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They sell Sta Bil at Canadian Tire and it's fine, presuming it's the same stuff as south of the border.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Is "fuel stabilizer" actually a thing that's useful? Sounds like a scam product.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's a real thing and it's fairly useful, especially now. They bind with the more volatile molecules and slow the rate at which gasoline degrades. Ethanol-heavy fuels are particularly dogshit in terms of evaporating and leaving crud behind.

That said, in a fuel injected car unless you are leaving gas for like a year plus it's probably going to be fine. It's more of an issue in small carbureted engines where there are lots of small, low pressure places gunk can gently caress poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Lambert posted:

Is "fuel stabilizer" actually a thing that's useful? Sounds like a scam product.

Generally the best use for it is when you are storing things that can't easily be drained (or one is lazy) over a long period of time. So a push or trim mower over the winter, or a snow blower and snowmobile over the summer. And yes, a vehicle going into storage.

What K8.0 said is so true. I had to have an old garden tractor's carb re-built twice because it was only used as a backup, and the ethanol just clogged the thing up. He told us that in small engines with a carburetor to find gas with no ethanol in it. There was actually one gas station near me that carried it, though the price (at the time) was about a dollar more per gallon.

In the case of Linus, it won't help, but probably won't really hurt either. Modern engines are made for 10% ethanol gas. The thing would have to sit for literal months, with no movement (as just driving it once a week will stir the gas tank and help "freshen" the gas) in order for the gas to start to go bad. And even if it sat for years it would still run, might not like it, but it would.