Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Internet Explorer posted:

If you think you put 90 minutes into Dead Cells and saw everything there was to see, you are very mistaken.

Also, Hades continues to be amazing. Every time I picked it up for a bit I love it.

I am still playing and enjoying Dead Cells, but the maps are all very samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dead cells is hand made rooms attached together with an algorithm

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nah, that game’s ugly as gently caress, sorry homie.

wait didn't you just admit to playing through bloodstained

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

wait didn't you just admit to playing through bloodstained

Lmao blood stained is pretty ugly on a technical level but something about the art style of Hollow Knight puts me right off.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel like such a housewife, buying this kind of game. But gently caress it, parrot-themed cards!

e:

Okay fine, sold! :parrot:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bat castle or bust

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I guess the store page is dead at the moment?

EDIT:

A good poster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

looks like it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Awesome! posted:

dead cells is hand made rooms attached together with an algorithm

I find that the rogue-ish trapping of random equipment and abilities drag down what would've otherwise been a shorter but more straightforward game, but then again I think the same of most roguelites.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nah, that game’s ugly as gently caress, sorry homie.

Are you confusing Hollow Knight with Salt and Sanctuary?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao blood stained is pretty ugly on a technical level but something about the art style of Hollow Knight puts me right off.

:getgud:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Telling someone to try Hollow Knight if they liked Dead Cells is like telling someone to try riding a donkey if they liked the rollercoaster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Det_no posted:

Telling someone to try Hollow Knight if they liked Dead Cells is like telling someone to try riding a donkey if they liked the rollercoaster.

hmm i didn't realize it was bad post thursday i would've been posting more

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Det_no posted:

????????????

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

important news: new hero of the kingdom for chill out times https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249130/

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
That's a very weird naming scheme. The description says the demo will let you continue the story in the full game if you decide to buy, which is a neat feature that I'm glad more devs are opting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it sounds like the spinoff series is going to be more like the first two games while the main series continues in the direction of 3

3 was really grind-heavy so i'm glad for a return to everything being more meticulously designed, rather than "if you don't have enough, you'll get enough eventually, after enough cycles"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel like such a housewife, buying this kind of game. But gently caress it, parrot-themed cards!

e:

I'm the same with Hidden Object Games. I don't know why I like them, as they are almost all universally dire when it comes to the story (I'm either a lady detective or a magical princess). Every time I have to solve a bead-rolling puzzle in order to open a door I wonder what the hell the people who live there do when they come home a little drunk. It's bad enough fishing your keys out of a pocket when you're three sheets to the wind.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gromit posted:

I don't know why I like them, as they are almost all universally dire when it comes to the story (I'm either a lady detective or a magical princess).

If you want to see some which are extremely buckwild, I was gifted some of these for Christmas this year and it turns out that somewhere in the middle of helping assassin cats fight off wolves who literally bring winter at their heels I was just spending every few minutes going "WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE".

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

God drat is Arma 3 Zeus mode fun. Spent like 8 hours making a scenario for my friends and its honestly amazing playing DM and spawning different situations and events for everyone, you can really go deep with it.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Gromit posted:

I'm the same with Hidden Object Games. I don't know why I like them, as they are almost all universally dire when it comes to the story (I'm either a lady detective or a magical princess). Every time I have to solve a bead-rolling puzzle in order to open a door I wonder what the hell the people who live there do when they come home a little drunk. It's bad enough fishing your keys out of a pocket when you're three sheets to the wind.

Umbrella has been hiring people in that field for ages. It's good that some of them have found good work for literally anyone else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hidden object games are good because you start as a lady detective running a sting operation on the mafia to rescue kidnapped children, only to discover most of the mafia has disappeared and some of them have turned to goo, at which point you find a portal to a fairy tale world

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone played Resident Evil 6 lately?

You start as Leon Kennedy after a virus has swept through the area killing everyone and the president, end up going to track down the source of the virus and destroy the secret lab producing it. The other pov characters discover more along the same.

It's called the C-virus and the source is a secret lab in China.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wouldn't read too much into a Resident Evil plot, of all things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The 7th Guest posted:

hidden object games are good because you start as a lady detective running a sting operation on the mafia to rescue kidnapped children, only to discover most of the mafia has disappeared and some of them have turned to goo, at which point you find a portal to a fairy tale world

if I remember at least one of them started with solving a murder and turned into busting a magical cult; HOGs are amazing and I love them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

hmm i didn't realize it was bad post thursday i would've been posting more

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Daemon X Machina has some janky unlock and design decisions and a terrible plot but it's s a really good follow up on Armored Core, try it if you like robits

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

RBA Starblade posted:

Daemon X Machina has some janky unlock and design decisions and a terrible plot but it's s a really good follow up on Armored Core, try it if you like robits

Man, there really are very few Armored Core type mecha games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
And if you're only on PC, I think the only current options for a good mecha action game are either that or the Zone of the Enders 2 remaster.

Not that either is a bad game, but the genre really could use a little love.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There's also MASS Builder. Early access but it looks like hack and slash with custom mechs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have to say, Sea of Thieves is a lot of fun these days. It's still a bit of a "make your own fun" kind of game, but they've done a lot to introduce fun game play loops that interact with each other and cause a lot of spontaneity. I'm excited for it to show up on Steam, will be a lot easier to get friends to play it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StabMasterArson posted:

God drat is Arma 3 Zeus mode fun. Spent like 8 hours making a scenario for my friends and its honestly amazing playing DM and spawning different situations and events for everyone, you can really go deep with it.

Yes you can. Especially if you host your own server with some server-side scripting and tweaking.

My personal favourite mission I've ever hosted dropped players on a new map they had not seen before with no navigation tools whatsoever beside map and compass. And thinking back, I should've taken away those too. They were told to find a way off that island. No global chat, no voip, no radios. Stay together or get lost in the woods and eaten by NATO.

ACE + TFAR are also an incredible combination. You can disable a ton of ACE stuff, but ACE brings many really nice QOL features and a less binary medical system, while TFAR brings not only really cool directional audio much better than the ingame one, the radio simulation is also immersive as gently caress. You can run up to team mates to have quick one on one conversations without bothering the others. If someone speaks on the radio you still hear them in directional if you are close.

Also, get Achilles or Zeus Enhanced. It's a client-side mod for Zeus and has a ton of useful add-ons. Like quickly spawning reinforcements including transport. Or turning a van into a VBIED and scaring the poo poo out of people. :allears:

Another favourite: Spawn Blackfish (Armed), set to low speed, set keep altitude 800m, then drop a loiter beacon (counter clockwise) at range ~1km, and force hold fire.

Loiter over something and take control of the gunner. You can now absolutely terrify the squad by raining death with your 120mm cannon, the autocannon, or the gatling.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The 7th Guest posted:

important news: new hero of the kingdom for chill out times https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249130/

Man, I'm super wary of getting this on release. I loved HotK 1 and 2 but 3 was so loving awful...

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Orv posted:

I wouldn't read too much into a Resident Evil plot, of all things.

Illuminati spotted :tinfoil:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jamfrost posted:

Man, there really are very few Armored Core type mecha games.

Yeah :(

DXM plays more like AC4, where everyone is White Glint (if you equip the standard rifle types you even get to do the white glint spin from For Answer's intro movie :v). The balance is what you think it is in AC in that half the guns are useless and the other are busted as hell and it's up to you to decide which is which. Oddly it lets you get out of the mech and you can almost do more damage on foot than in it - you also can hijack other mechs if your friends also got out, repair them, lay mines, etc. It's pretty varied! Lengthy too, I'm 8 hours in and half done, and AC4's campaign was maybe a 4 hour affair.

Its big weakness is that instead of the MIC styling AC4 had it goes more for a Saturday Morning Cyberpunk anime vibe in a pretty lame way, but the plot also does not matter whatsoever, so who cares. The mechs themselves, as mentioned, are mostly styled after White Glint and variants, but they have a lot of references and throwbacks to other mechs and stuff. Nine Ball's in there somewhere for example

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Explorer posted:

I have to say, Sea of Thieves is a lot of fun these days. It's still a bit of a "make your own fun" kind of game, but they've done a lot to introduce fun game play loops that interact with each other and cause a lot of spontaneity. I'm excited for it to show up on Steam, will be a lot easier to get friends to play it.

I played Sea of Thieves through Game Pass with a few friends for a while like a year ago, and had a great time. Then one time we got a bit careless returning to port with a huge haul and got robbed clean by another group. This was extremely disheartening at first, but then I though about it a bit more and realised I didn't really have any use for all that gold anyway, because I already had all the cool looking cosmetics I wanted, and there's *nothing else* to use it on. This was equally disheartening in a different way. Haven't touched the game since.

Like the moment-to-moment gameplay is really hilarious fun at its best, but the game has pretty much no longevity for me. drat shame.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah :(

DXM plays more like AC4, where everyone is White Glint (if you equip the standard rifle types you even get to do the white glint spin from For Answer's intro movie :v). The balance is what you think it is in AC in that half the guns are useless and the other are busted as hell and it's up to you to decide which is which. Oddly it lets you get out of the mech and you can almost do more damage on foot than in it - you also can hijack other mechs if your friends also got out, repair them, lay mines, etc. It's pretty varied! Lengthy too, I'm 8 hours in and half done, and AC4's campaign was maybe a 4 hour affair.

Its big weakness is that instead of the MIC styling AC4 had it goes more for a Saturday Morning Cyberpunk anime vibe in a pretty lame way, but the plot also does not matter whatsoever, so who cares. The mechs themselves, as mentioned, are mostly styled after White Glint and variants, but they have a lot of references and throwbacks to other mechs and stuff. Nine Ball's in there somewhere for example

That’s a shame. I really liked AC3 and its spinoffs, but once “fighter jet with arms” became the only viable play style I pretty much lost interest. I want my mechs to feel weighty and powerful, and approximate infantry combat in some fashion, not just be hover skiffs covered in as many machine guns as possible.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

And if you're only on PC, I think the only current options for a good mecha action game are either that or the Zone of the Enders 2 remaster.

Not that either is a bad game, but the genre really could use a little love.

I wish they would bring the Gundam Musou games back. They were a fun time and playing through all the gundams from different series was fun. Though they weren't similar to Armored Core, still fun.

Btw there is that Square Enix game Left Alive which is suppose to be a sequel/spinoff to Front Mission series but it has terrible reviews on the store page.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anonymous Robot posted:

That’s a shame. I really liked AC3 and its spinoffs, but once “fighter jet with arms” became the only viable play style I pretty much lost interest. I want my mechs to feel weighty and powerful, and approximate infantry combat in some fashion, not just be hover skiffs covered in as many machine guns as possible.

No that's For Answer, you still move at a reasonable pace in 4 and DXM (though you can increase that). I didn't play it much but the targeting feels like AC3 also. You ARE constantly in the air in DXM, but there are armor pieces for specifically not doing that if you want as well. There's no flickering at the speed of light like some of the things you could do in 4A

The rifles, ballistics, and blade weapons are pretty much king in DXM though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Manual Samuel is currently free on Humble.
5 Minutes in it seems quite funny.
Eh, who's going to be picky in these trying times?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/manualsamuel-free-game