Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah as mentioned, the default options are set up such that there is no respawning of enemies so whatever you encounter in an area, that is all you will ever encounter in that area. So you can clear areas out, although as you explore and more areas are generated, they will fill with enemies that can potentially be drawn into areas you've already cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Neato! Now I know what my overarching goal will be.

Next question: do the passives you get from martial art styles count even if you're not actually doing martial arts? I picked drunken boxing for the passive dodge chance and set my int to 12 thinking it will give a small edge in early fights despite using a weapon

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Martial arts passives only work with style weapons or unarmed.

You can check this by opening your character sheet, martial arts passives will be visible under effects

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah dang. And I here I thought I was being clever :doh:

Time to start up a new char then

E: New run as a national guardsman that missed the evac. Went with medival swords as recommended and found a back scabbard in my starting house. The description says it's very difficult to handle without consierable practice. Is that just fluff or actually a thing?

E2: Soo I was just loving around in the starter house getting my clothes right and whatever. Then somehow zombos took notice. I thought it would be fine if I keep quiet since there was also an armed npc in the house. Tried to deconstruct a bed for wood to craft the starter sword and then a window broke and shooting started. I figured I'll just hide in the room but then three zombos busted in and cornered me. Managed to punch one to death and flee the house only to get caught and eaten in a field a few moments later. Yep seems like the usual rl starter experience :v:

Things learned:
Be loving quick in the starter house and gtfo
Probably also crouch
Stamina is a thing when you sprint

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 16, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tin Tim posted:

Went with medival swords as recommended and found a back scabbard in my starting house. The description says it's very difficult to handle without consierable practice. Is that just fluff or actually a thing?

It's actually a thing. One of your skills - I think the specific weapon-type skill, but possibly just Melee - influences how quickly you can wield a given weapon, and iirc drawing it from a holster or sheath is often a bit faster or slower depending on the container in question.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In addition to pursuing noise, Zombies can smell you! But they'll also sometimes just wander places and if there's a window in the way there won't be for long. Secure your immediate surroundings where possible and stay as low profile as possible if you're trying to hide out, but fortifications go a long way too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sheaths/scabbards/holsters/ammo pouches are always faster than pulling from inventory but sheaths are faster than scabbards which are faster than back scabbards, etc.

E: Aim for a normal scabbard to hold a crude sword. The back scabbard shares the torso/strapped slot with backpacks, duffel bags, etc. Check out the + menu, it will show what’s equipped and encumbrance. Anything that is yellow is giving extra encumbrance because you have more than one thing in that slot.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 16, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You should also be able to see what styles you have that are compatible with a given melee weapon when you examine it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Managed to get out of the city without dying :peanut:

I just followed the road and found an empty radio tower to loot and use as my first safe spot. It even had a telescope and map on the top so I now have a decent amount of choices as to where I try to move for an actual early base.

Cummington was my start and the found map revealed a lot of POIs for me there. So I guess it should also be my first destination for looting. But before I do that I want to decide on a safe spot where I retreat to with the loot. There is a gas station with a garage on the south edge of cummington which had a few zombos on the road but otherwise it seems empty. But there is also a cabin in the forest NE of town that I could check out. The cabin is probably better for living in but I have no idea what's going on in the forest around it.

The other choice would be to move straight south since there is another cabin in the forest there. It's sorta close to Albany which is a super small town but there also is another town in the area which is unexplored. Only got the location and roads from the map. Downside of going south is that the cabin is a lot farther from anything than the two choices around cummington.

Thoughts?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: Aim for a normal scabbard to hold a crude sword. The back scabbard shares the torso/strapped slot with backpacks, duffel bags, etc. Check out the + menu, it will show what’s equipped and encumbrance. Anything that is yellow is giving extra encumbrance because you have more than one thing in that slot.
Yeah I kinda figured that out after dealing with my set of starting clothes and gear but still thx for giving me the info!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The farm SEE of your position might be worth checking out for seeds and tools.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’m looking at Albany to the far SW. If that really is a 3-5 house town, you can clear it pretty easily and have a nice base for raiding the periphery of Cummington (nice). Also setting up shop right next to a handful of houses means you won’t have to run back to the big city when you’re short a few rags/strings, etc.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's actually an interesting idea. According to the map it has three houses and a garden so it's real tiny. Two homeless camps are on the outskirts but I have no idea how much zombos you should expect from those. The only thing that's a problem is that it's rather far from the other towns in the area so I would need a car or plan around the long travel times by foot. Not sure tbh. Seems like I should go for a smaller location right now and migrate to Albany once I have secured a good car. But it's still very early on day 1 so I think I'll scout Albany and spend my first night in the radio tower if I have to. It's pretty remote so I shouldn't get eaten(heavy sleeper) I think.

Cummington (nice).
Extra nice when you consider that the world generated as Coketon

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Homeless camps rarely if ever have zombies. Gardens seem to be okay too. Watch out for parks though, those tend to have a bunch of zombie children, like 10-20.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

On my way to Albany rn, and it seems like I found a car that's not complete poo poo if I read the data right

Only half a liter of gas and the battery is almost dead but I guess this could be used if I carry some fuel to it? Marked it on my map for now

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The broken security system will still prevent you from starting the car but you can try (s)mashing it. Hopefully it breaks before the controls.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah, okay. I figured that the broken security actually made it easier to start the car but oh well. I'll try wackin it at some point

Also I got my first kill. Ran into a tough zombie on the road and felt like I should get a taste of combat to learn my limits. Got him with the only serious damage being to my backpack. The 2-by-sword performed pretty well but I assume I got lucky with some crits.

E: Made it to the outskirt of Albany and spotted two normal and a tough zombie directly in my approach. Lured the normal ones into brush and took them out. Got hassled by a darn coyote while fighting the second one and it got a few bites in but ran away when the zombie went down. Then I lured the tough into the same brush and the fucker got a deep bite on me before going down. Disinfected it and used a bandage and I hope that's enough? Also ate some aspirin to combat the pain.

I'm pretty bruised up so I'll have a quick peek at the town and then turn back to the tower to rest a bit and train some crafting skills. There was a automated gas station on the way with vending machines and the 400$ cash card I found should get me some extra food so that I can keep saving my MREs

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 17, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How many weapons do people use in a pinch/ which blade should I carry if I luck into swords of the samurai?

I cheated myself the book of 5 rings because my random char had the nickname Musashi so I pretty much had to

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

In theory you only need one melee and one ranged but zombie technicians are undead Jedi dickheads and you may need more to get the first two back.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

In theory you only need one melee and one ranged but zombie technicians are undead Jedi dickheads and you may need more to get the first two back.

They also die fairly easily so you can just whack em with a stick or make your melee weapon a quarterstaff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm gonna talk about downspouts for a moment. They are very important.

If you're being chased by a horde climb up a downspout, walk to the other side of the building and climb down. You've probably lost 2/3rds of your pursuers. Repeat another couple of times and you're free.

If you decide to melee a mob of zombies, stand on a downspout first. You start facing increasingly severe penalties once your stamina drops below about ||| , so when that happens climb onto the roof and have a breather. Climb down and keep chopping.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Worth noting that there's an option for roaming spawns, meant to simulate a roaming horde across the map that is attracted to noise and will slowly hunt you down, but is totally broken and instead behaves like an invisible teleporter that will beam zombies into your house through walls and floors

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo that loving coyote jumped me right after I decided to leave and put on my duffle so I could carry the box of ammo I got from a zombie :argh:

Welp I butchered his dumb rear end and will dine on it later

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

They also die fairly easily so you can just whack em with a stick or make your melee weapon a quarterstaff.

I play drunk so I end up trying to punch zombies to death for an in-game minute or two until I realize that I no longer have my handheld zombie blender. :downs:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

I play drunk so I end up trying to punch zombies to death for an in-game minute or two until I realize that I no longer have my handheld zombie blender. :downs:

Hrmmm I see. I prescribe you getting a kicking rad martial art and skilling up unarmed combat so you can suplex some fools.

May I recommend drunken master?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Solid plan but it hinges on me realizing my sword is elsewhere and remembering the martial arts menu exists.

*asks zombie brute/monitor if it is looking at me*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or the wolverine bionic.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Solid plan but it hinges on me realizing my sword is elsewhere and remembering the martial arts menu exists.

*asks zombie brute/monitor if it is looking at me*

I believe you can just toggle one on and the bonuses just wont come into effect unless you are using the correct weapon or are unarmed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sometimes you want to use an armed style while armed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

True except I’m always using Medieval Swordsmanship or Silat soooo....

I need to give Ninjutsu or Krav Maga an honest try some time, I did try Ninjutsu once but was too impatient to do the run forward/back thing.

The Lone Badger posted:

Or the wolverine bionic.

I have played this game for hundreds or maybe even thousands of hours and I have never once seen this spawn.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The wiki says butchering human corpses gives a considerable mood penalty. Do zombie corpses also count for that? Seems like an easy source for sinew and survival xp if not

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No penalty, but thread is easy to get in bulk and xp is worth little. (Read a book or craft to skill up)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zombie corpses do not count but holy poo poo do not butcher a human corpse. Your morale will tank to the point where you can’t craft for a day or two.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

The wiki says butchering human corpses gives a considerable mood penalty. Do zombie corpses also count for that? Seems like an easy source for sinew and survival xp if not

it has to be a recently alive human corpse to get a penalty.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the quick info!

The Lone Badger posted:

No penalty, but thread is easy to get in bulk and xp is worth little. (Read a book or craft to skill up)
You're probably right but it's just about the very early game for me right now. I have killed a few zombies but I'm too bruised to continue loving around so it's just a really safe way for me to grab some sinew and do a few small crafts. Just looking to use my time in a productive way before I sleep to heal

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

You're probably right but it's just about the very early game for me right now. I have killed a few zombies but I'm too bruised to continue loving around so it's just a really safe way for me to grab some sinew and do a few small crafts. Just looking to use my time in a productive way before I sleep to heal

A long string becomes 300 thread in 35 minutes of disassembling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Sleeping doesn't heal any faster than being awake now. Make some makeshift bandages out of rags and apply those. Once that causes you to skillup to First Aid 1 start making boiled makeshift bandages.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

A long string becomes 300 thread in 35 minutes of disassembling.
Sure but to get that string I need to go back into zombie areas again and I don't think I'm in the shape for that right now. Still in mild pain, focus constantly below 50, unhappy, missing a health bar on every limb. Just seems like I should keep it safe for a bit now :v:

Just trying to hit fab 2 so I can upgrade my sword and once I have recovered a bit more I get back to clearing that little town

The Lone Badger posted:

Sleeping doesn't heal any faster than being awake now. Make some makeshift bandages out of rags and apply those. Once that causes you to skillup to First Aid 1 start making boiled makeshift bandages.
Huh, good to know about the value of sleeping to heal! Also I still have 4 bandages from the medkit I started with and first aid 1 from my background. National guard has some tight starting boons imo

E: Crude sword gotten! I wish my focus would stop being in the dumpster but I guess it's time to head back out since I can't really do anything else in my crappy tower

E2: So how do you actually go about doing healing right? Like assume you have been in a few fights and are missing like two or three pips on a limb. Do you just slap a bandage on it and then pass some hours until you heal back up?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 17, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Treated wounds heal faster so keep those bandages clean.

Telsa Cola posted:

Hrmmm I see. I prescribe you getting a kicking rad martial art and skilling up unarmed combat so you can suplex some fools.

May I recommend drunken master?

Is there any that let you literally suplex zombies?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Treated wounds heal faster so keep those bandages clean.

Once you find a Survival book you should also make a gallon of cattail jelly and start smearing it on every boo-boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tin Tim posted:

Sure but to get that string I need to go back into zombie areas again and I don't think I'm in the shape for that right now. Still in mild pain, focus constantly below 50, unhappy, missing a health bar on every limb. Just seems like I should keep it safe for

Just about every window has curtains. You can get string and sheets from those for an easy source of rags and thread. The emergency shelter has curtain on every window if I remember correctly, and that can be a helpful source of early game materials. It does make you slightly more vulnerable to things spotting you through the windows, but that's not a terrible tradeoff.