Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Every single one of those children appeared in Tom Goes To The Mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those kids are amazing. Those jaws :lmao:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Keromaru5 posted:

As far as poorly-drawn children are concerned, nothing quite proves June Brigman's point like the final issues of Power Pack.

The first time I saw this cover while looking through back issues, I thought it was going to be some kind of confusing flash-forward with the kids as teenagers. The kid in yellow? He's supposed to be about 8.

The average comic book artist has the same ability to draw a child as a medieval monk, apparently.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

It was a serious issue but I think people take it too seriously, for good and bad. It wasn't some long drawn-out stroyline, just a one and done. Like it's clearly the creators working through their grief (grieving through their work?) and trying to express how beyond the pale the act was.

Also, while the subject matter is morbid, the art was amazing. People remember Doom crying but the issue had some incredible JRjr panels and pages.

It was also around the same time JRjr sketched for almost two days straight to raise money for the victims.

Lurdiak gonna Lurdiak.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Deptfordx posted:

There's a new turn-based X-Com gameplay styled Super hero game out today called Sentinels of Freedom.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

Bought it, haven't played it yet. But the previews looked good and the character creator seemed excellent.

WHAAAAATTTTT

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It was also around the same time JRjr sketched for almost two days straight to raise money for the victims.

Lurdiak gonna Lurdiak.

I really don't get what's so hard for you to understand. No one who thinks those panels are stupid think JRjr was wrong to feel grief or that whatever he did to help the victims is invalid. It's just a really goofy comic and awkward art that comes from a wounded place which has aged horribly, and that makes it funny. Publishing that issue was a misguided attempt to process grief that resulted in a very bad comic. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy but not every single piece of media made about it deserves reverence simply because it's about something serious or the artists were sincere, and it's really baffling to me that you don't seem to get that and that you think me correctly pointing out one of the most universally mocked panels in comic history is very funny is some kind of indictment of my character.

There are thousands upon thousands of awkward 9/11 tributes made by webcomic artists and deviantart users over the years and I wonder if you'd show the same over the top outrage at people snickering at those.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Begemot posted:

The average comic book artist has the same ability to draw a child as a medieval monk, apparently.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

As far as poorly-drawn children are concerned, nothing quite proves June Brigman's point like the final issues of Power Pack.

good LORD that is bad

it's like they just spray-painted Katie's face on an industrial shovel

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't get what's so hard for you to understand. No one who thinks those panels are stupid think JRjr was wrong to feel grief or that whatever he did to help the victims is invalid. It's just a really goofy comic and awkward art that comes from a wounded place which has aged horribly, and that makes it funny. Publishing that issue was a misguided attempt to process grief that resulted in a very bad comic. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy but not every single piece of media made about it deserves reverence simply because it's about something serious or the artists were sincere, and it's really baffling to me that you don't seem to get that and that you think me correctly pointing out one of the most universally mocked panels in comic history is very funny is some kind of indictment of my character.

There are thousands upon thousands of awkward 9/11 tributes made by webcomic artists and deviantart users over the years and I wonder if you'd show the same over the top outrage at people snickering at those.

This is a completely legitimate take, the crying Dr. Doom page is widely mocked as being dumb and corny. Nobody thinks less of 9/11's loss of life but it's a dumb drawing with dumb words on it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. I apologize.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Keromaru5 posted:

The first time I saw this cover while looking through back issues, I thought it was going to be some kind of confusing flash-forward with the kids as teenagers. The kid in yellow? He's supposed to be about 8.

:manning: is all I see.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

That issue reads exactly as bad as it looks. It also has a cosmic Whoopi Goldberg in it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That boy ain't right

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The artist referenced his own thumb to draw that and you can't convince me otherwise.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That last stretch of Power Pack as it spiraled into madness is worth checking out just to see total creative floundering. There's that sequence where in rapid succession Alex goes bald and then turns into a horseman that's accidentally some of the most visceral horror comics I've ever read.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Begemot posted:

To the best of my knowledge that kind of weirdness was so extremely common because wealthy benefactors would actually pay the artists to paint them as some saint's baby. That's how we got so many extremely adult-looking babies hanging around in medieval paintings.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mike Mignola draws things

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1251699479503228928

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1251525204171358208

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1251288195481796609

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You missed the best one!

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1249867908450103296

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is a really good one, there are many good ones though and I didn't want to just post them all :shrug:

look at Mike Mignola's twitter y'all it's good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fuckin love Mignola's weird poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/ParisAlleyne/status/1252986751372734465?s=20

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 23, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lencho posted:

I think that Juggernaut reaction is the best thing Todd McFarlane has ever drawn.

I want to see someone draw in the spaces covered up by the 1st and 3rd panels. And maybe fill in the details of the blacks. I’m really curious how that jaw line works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A crossover I never knew I wanted.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

A crossover I never knew I wanted.

What about Baman Beyon/Piderman Tunny Ninine?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Yeah thats totally...uh...shway.

You guys and dudes suggest good stuff in this forum, and also a headsup as to what is trash.

I really dislike Garth Ennis writing and most the the art thats used in his books. Got a copy of Punisher:Max for christmas and I'm gonna throw it in the trash in advance. The 2004 movie was just about all I needed of that character and as a person I don't wanna dip into any of his "gore and doodoo and cuss words" writing.

Edit; Oh cool it was recycleable.

just bob fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 23, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did a cull of my books recently but decided to keep Punisher max. I like that weird Steve Dillon art and as long as Ennis stays away from rape I’m in for his over the top ridiculous violence and cursing.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Apparently there this thing called "spiderman" we think thats funny he's probably unpolitical, too.

Maybe even unpopular, feel bad for whoever made the spiderman.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What a dumb idea for a comic, something like that could never catch on

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Flesh Forge posted:

What a dumb idea for a comic, something like that could never catch on

I mean, thanks for getting that from the same place they did, and also not probating or banning me today. Really not attempting to tempt fate about that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Between babytalk jokes and people throwing away Christmas presents in late April I'm really not sure if this last page has been an elaborate referential joke I'm not getting.

In case anyone else is confused by the Roachman comic, I will provide clarification.

I do not believe that this clarification was in just bob's initial unattributed phonepost but perhaps I did not interpret his posting correctly.

It is from a very good book The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew. The book has won many awards.

I believed the book to be well-known. I also believed Jillian Tamaki to be well-known.

Several people in the BSS Chat Thread were not familiar with Jillian Tamaki. I want to acknowledge others were familiar with Tamaki. Perhaps everyone in this thread is well aware of Sonny Liew.

You can see several of the Roachman pages at the above link. There are other examples of Liew's art at this link. The link contains a summary of the book's concept.

It all belongs in the Good Comic Book Art thread.

I hope this post is concise and readable.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 28, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Between babytalk jokes and people throwing away Christmas presents in late April I'm really not sure if this last page has been an elaborate referential joke I'm not getting but in case anyone else is confused by the Roachman comic someone took some photos of and threw in here, it's not actually an old comic or whatever the artist fka "bob slur-term" implied, but from a very good (and award winning) book The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew. and you can see several of the Roachman pages (along with some other examples of what the book is about) at this link. It all belongs in the Good Comic Book Art thread.

That sure is a run on sentence. No idea what it means, other than the comic is obviously not from the 50s.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

IUG posted:

That sure is a run on sentence. No idea what it means, other than the comic is obviously not from the 50s.
There is a link in the sentence. There is also the name of the book and the artist but at the risk of making an effort post:

quote:

Sonny Liew is a Eisner-winning comics artist, painter, and illustrator whose work includes the New York Times best seller The Shadow Hero (with Gene Yang), Doctor Fate (with Paul Levitz), Malinky Robot and titles and covers for Marvel Comics, DC Vertigo, Disney Press, Image Comics, IDW, Boom Studios and First Second Books. He also spearheaded Liquid City, a multivolume comics anthology featuring creators from Southeast Asia. He lives and works in Singapore.

quote:

“The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye” tells the story of Singapore’s greatest cartoonist, who grew up after the war when the colonies of British Malaya and Singapore were agitating for independence. Charlie Chan documents that era of riots and protests in a series of vignettes, each one paying homage to some of the world’s comic book artists — and along the way challenging myths and rescuing from anonymity people written out of the official version.

What slowly becomes apparent is that Charlie Chan is fictional, maybe not even that famous, and the person “presenting” his work, Sonny Liew, is the real artist. But what isn’t fictional is the history that Mr. Liew presents — and the sensation that his book has caused. Since being published two years ago, Mr. Liew’s book has gone through multiple print runs and become central to a slow-burning national discussion over this country’s history, culture and values.
Maybe this was made clear in the original post of the art. I don't know.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whether that is from 1959 (which it's a bit obvious it isn't) or today, that is indeed Good Art

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Resident Evil #4 (1998)
Artist: Rafael Kayanan

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leon S. Kennedy, best known for blowing himself up with four grenades while shooting at the ceiling.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye is really good, and probably, shamefully, one of the very few books from and about Singapore that I've read aside from poetry and the handful of novels everybody reads and, like, Alfan Sa'at and Amanda Lee Koh. If this thread if your first exposure to the book, check it out, Sonny Liew is brilliant.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's $5 on Kindle so I just dropped the cash for it. Thanks!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crowetron posted:

Leon S. Kennedy, best known for blowing himself up with four grenades while shooting at the ceiling.

Hey
That exactly how i played resi 4

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Resident Evil #4 (1998)
Artist: Rafael Kayanan

Given Capcom’s history with cross-media properties, the direction the RE movies went in, and 90s-era comics in general, yeah, this definitely is a Resident Evil comic from 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The face is janky, but I like the line of action on the body.