Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Might be some moisture under the pitch.

Should bowl first imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Always bat first.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

garycoleisgod posted:

Might be some moisture under the pitch.

Should bowl first imo.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Always bat first.

Whoever loses the toss has probably won the match.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The local kids will be disappointed they lost their swimming pool. :(

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I suspect the ECB are delighted that it's becoming more likely there'll be no County Championship this season. Nothing to distract from their new shiny shitshow of a hit-and-giggle competition.

Also, Surrey have got 8 players self-isolating, so I assume their usual team-bonding activities - which seem to involve industrial quantities of cocaine - are continuing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i miss cricket :(

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Quite nice to see Robelinda get more famous as the only source of cricket, loads of famous players making requests.

Still miss cricket though, watching highlights on YouTube isn't enough.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm glad the IPL got cancelled though

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Spare a thought for all the DLF Maximums gone unmaximumed this year.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Jos Buttler auctioned his WC Final jersey to raise money for his local hospital. It sold for £65,100 (plus £10 p&p): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jos-Buttler-World-Cup-Final-Shirt-/174236606868

Should still be dropped from the test team though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
TMS are replaying the entire Headingley Ashes test from last year as live. I completely forgot there was a 75 minute rain delay to start the first day

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hindsight is 20/20 but Boycott saying that England have already lost in the middle of Australia's second innings is slightly amusing

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Hindsight is 20/20 but Boycott saying that England have already lost in the middle of Australia's second innings is slightly amusing

The only benefit of having Boycott still on a commentary team is when the other commentators take the piss out of him.
And even then, it's still not worth it.
He's better than Mark Nicholas, mind you, but plague is better than Mark Nicholas.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In Boycott's defense, during the re-broadcast of the Headingley test there was a discussion during one of the intervals after England had Englanded themselves out for 67, which in itself is a story but I digress between Boycott, Michael Vaughn and Alistair Cook. Boycott was perhaps the most seething about the coaching structure at county level, saying that it was directed towards white ball cricket and that maybe it was time for dedicated coaching staffs for both forms of the game. He made some salient points, but he was still very much Boycott being Boycott. Cook was much more fun, explaining that he was always coached in the long form of the game, but when he was starting to play in his back garden as a kid, he couldn't play the big, expansive shots most of the big hitters play because he'd end up breaking something, so he simply never learnt those and instead focused on the shots he could make. Vaughn for his part said a lot of words to say nothing at all, absolutely nothing he did stuck in my mind apart from "these guys just need to focus and develop a defense", but unlike Boycott or Cook never offered anything meaningful to achieve that goal. It sounded to me like was desperate to not rock the boat in case a job at the ECB came up

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Have the ICC said what the cancelled tours mean for the test championship? will they make up the tours later somehow or will Australia just never tour Bangladesh again

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They’ve declared India the winner of all cancelled Tests even the ones they weren’t gonna play in.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

kingturnip posted:

The only benefit of having Boycott still on a commentary team is when the other commentators take the piss out of him.
And even then, it's still not worth it.
He's better than Mark Nicholas, mind you, but plague is better than Mark Nicholas.

Does Mark Nicholas do radio? He never shuts up on television so I can't imagine what a drabbling chatterbot he must be on radio.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

runoverbobby posted:

Does Mark Nicholas do radio? He never shuts up on television so I can't imagine what a drabbling chatterbot he must be on radio.

I'm always amazed that commentators who idolized Richie and talk him up all the time never follow his example and just shut the gently caress up if they have nothing to say. You'd think it would be an easier job if they didn't force themselves to have to fill the air with something, even if it's dribble. Which it mostly is.

And Nicholas always tries to be too grand and flowery in his descriptions of poo poo and sounds like a tool as a result. Richie would just say "What a magnificent piece of bowling" and leave it at that rather than trying to write poetry.

Ponting's ok mostly because of the anger and contempt he shows whenever there's some poo poo cricket, which is often.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

garycoleisgod posted:

I'm always amazed that commentators who idolized Richie and talk him up all the time never follow his example and just shut the gently caress up if they have nothing to say. You'd think it would be an easier job if they didn't force themselves to have to fill the air with something, even if it's dribble. Which it mostly is.

And Nicholas always tries to be too grand and flowery in his descriptions of poo poo and sounds like a tool as a result. Richie would just say "What a magnificent piece of bowling" and leave it at that rather than trying to write poetry.

Ponting's ok mostly because of the anger and contempt he shows whenever there's some poo poo cricket, which is often.

I always put it down to the Brad McNamara "matey blokey banter takes precedence over all else. And under no circumstances criticize the Australian team" school of broadcasting. With Mark Nicholas thinking himself to be the classy side of that particular coin.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I've always assumed Nicholas' flowery descriptions are just because he doesn't actually watch cricket outside of what he commentates, so he can't talk about players specific strengths so he just has to say the same things over and over

he also has a podcast now

https://twitter.com/mcjnicholas/status/1249250407362244613?s=20

Centusin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 20, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cricinfo has a story about this match today. A match I don't remember AT ALL. I have absolutely zero memory of this match despite it going down to the wire.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10617/scorecard/1000881/australia-vs-pakistan-1st-test-pak-tour-of-aus-2016-17

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Jackson Bird lol

I remember when he looked like he might be good

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:whitewater:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Scylo posted:

I've always assumed Nicholas' flowery descriptions are just because he doesn't actually watch cricket outside of what he commentates, so he can't talk about players specific strengths so he just has to say the same things over and over

he also has a podcast now

https://twitter.com/mcjnicholas/status/1249250407362244613?s=20

:chloe:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Imagine thinking that Piers Morgan of all people will encourage listeners to your podcast

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Imagine seeing that thumbnail and willingly clicking.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mister Chief posted:

Imagine seeing that thumbnail and willingly clicking.

Oh, I willingly clicked the "close tab" button.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Jackson Bird lol

I remember when he looked like he might be good

Same for Renshaw and Handscomb, they did well in that series

It's a shame Younis Khan's last tour in Australia will be that one nobody remembers

Five tests at one ground lol

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1252552660508532736

Centusin fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 21, 2020

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Scylo posted:

Same for Renshaw and Handscomb, they did well in that series

It's a shame Younis Khan's last tour in Australia will be that one nobody remembers

Five tests at one ground lol

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1252552660508532736

Do it at Hobart, at least they can produce an interesting pitch.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Smorgasbord posted:

Do it at Hobart, at least they can produce an interesting pitch.

Sadly Tasmania is being smashed with Covid-19 at the moment compared to the other states, so I can understand if Cricket Australia and BCCI are a bit hesitant to host a test there.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Adelaide’s day-night tests have been the best games of the summer for a few years now. If they really want poo poo games they could host them all at the MCG.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Didn't see it posted, but Kamran Akmal's been suspended for 3 years for failing to report being approached by bookies.

Surprised they bothered approaching him, tbh. I'm not sure he's good enough to deliberately make the kind of mistakes you'd need him to make.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

kingturnip posted:

Didn't see it posted, but Kamran Akmal's been suspended for 3 years for failing to report being approached by bookies.

Surprised they bothered approaching him, tbh. I'm not sure he's good enough to deliberately make the kind of mistakes you'd need him to make.

It's all about the timing. People have lost thousands because players have dropped a catch in the 5th over as opposed to the 6th.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anyone who isn't watching the ECB streaming the highlights of England test matches is missing out. The live chat is just :catdrugs:

Also, they're currently showing and England v West Indies game with both Harmison and Plunkett bowling absolute poo poo. It's great.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

kingturnip posted:

Anyone who isn't watching the ECB streaming the highlights of England test matches is missing out. The live chat is just :catdrugs:

Also, they're currently showing and England v West Indies game with both Harmison and Plunkett bowling absolute poo poo. It's great.
Haha, speaking of Plunkett, was just looking through his wickets from the World Cup. Only 11 wickets (though from just 7 games played), but:

vs South Africa:
Quinton de Kock for 68 off 74 (partnership 85)
Hashim Amla for 13 off 23 (partnership 13) (though this is a weird one because Amla retired hurt after getting hit by Archer and came back later)

vs Bangladesh:
Mushfiqur Rahim for 44 off 50 (partnership 106)

vs West Indies:
Chris Gayle for 36 off 41 (partnership 50)

vs India:
Virat Kohli for 66 off 76 (partnership 138)
Risbah Pant for 32 off 29 (partnership 28)
Hardik Pandya for 45 off 33 (partnership 41)

vs New Zealand (group):
Tom Latham for 57 off 65 (partnership 36)

Nothing against Australia in the semi but Woakes and Archer didn't leave him much to do :D

vs New Zealand (final):
Kane Williamson for 30 off 53 (partnership 74)
Henry Nicholls for 55 off 77 (partnership 15)
Jimmy Neesham for 19 off 25 (partnership 32)

Tremendous amount of getting good batsmen out when they were set but before they could do serious damage. Not to mention all the partnership breaking.

Also funny to think that most of them were slapped to a ring fielder or caught in the deep off of some variation on the slower ball bouncer :v:. It wouldn't make much of a highlights package to see these eleven wickets, but that doesn't diminish their importance.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 3, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hoping that "postponed" means "cancelled and never spoken of again"

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1255844498170679300

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Hoping that "postponed" means "cancelled and never spoken of again.

Let's hope so.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Australia back on top of the test ratings again. Good to see

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cricinfo had a reader poll “who is the best t20 batsman, kohli or gayle”. Kohli didn’t win so they extended the voting lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
What are the chances of the T20 World Cup not going ahead and being replaced by the Big Bash but with a NZ team also competing